News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 1713464 times)

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #6360 on: February 04, 2020, 10:02:06 pm »
I would like to see a hack for Golden Axe 1 that adds these improvements from Golden Axe 2 to it:

The ability not to use all your magic.
The ability to throw your enemy any direction and if you throw them at another enemy, they can get hurt as well.
Your animal companion goes through a enemy when it does its running attack.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 05:32:15 am by SCD »

Foffy

• View Profile
« Reply #6361 on: February 05, 2020, 07:23:51 am »
Consider this a very stupid idea, but it's one that always bugged me and if I had the knowhow, I would have done something about it myself. Maybe someone here also found this stuff to be a bother but has the knowhow to do something about it.

In games like Hyper Street Fighter II in the PS2 version of the Street Fighter Anniversary Collection (that's a mouthful!!), the default colors of the character are actually not something you can select when playing the Super Turbo versions of the characters, which are the most recent versions you can select in the game. You couldn't do this in the original version of the game, either. Is there a way to force the default colors via a hack? What makes Hyper Street Fighter II so interesting is you can select any version of SFII at the character select screen. This means that the colors are actually available in the game, but you can only select the characters default colors if you select a non-Super Turbo version of them. This also means that version is from an older edition of the game. For example, if you want Ken to wear his red attire properly, you cannot pick the Super Turbo version, but have to pick the Super version if you want the most recent version of him that allows this, but this also means you lose balance changes and the super meter, including some of the balances Hyper SFII adds to Super Turbo. How difficult would it be to alter in the default colors for Light Punch from Super Turbo so it picks the Light Punch colors from the other versions, seeing as they consist of the same roster? The AI defaults to picking Light Punch attires so this would fix their color discrepancies as well.

Something similar happens with Street Fighter Alpha 3 (I'm using Alpha 3 Max for PSP for reference, but this is true for all versions IIRC). The default character colors are available, but that is dependant upon if they select a specific ism in regards to the AI. If it's not A/Z-ism, the opponent AI will be a non-default color. Default colors are Medium Punch, which the AI only selects via the A/Z-ism. If picking X-ism, they pick the Light Punch color, and if the V-ism, they choose the Heavy Punch color. I would prefer if it always defaulted to the Medium Punch color for the AI, though I'm not sure if this would be easier or harder work to do compared to the Hyper SFII example I shared.

I know this is incredibly dumb to be bothered about, but it always stood out to me as odd. We've seen color restorations for the GBA version of Super Turbo, but we've never seen such a restoration for the arcade perfect ports. I don't even think the 30th Anniversary Collection fixes this.

SCD

• SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6362 on: February 05, 2020, 09:53:11 am »
I want something similar like this to be made for both the Dreamcast & PSP ports of Darkstalkers Chronicle, where the AI always chooses the default colors for the fighters and the colors of the background stages are reverted back to their default ones instead of always using the alternate ones.

The default colors for the background stages are in those ports, but they're hidden.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 10:03:11 am by SCD »

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #6363 on: February 05, 2020, 09:53:58 am »
Ah, the fascinating evil that is Hyper SFII. I wish I knew to make the AI easier.

SCD

• SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6364 on: February 05, 2020, 09:59:09 am »
Same here, that was the thing I did not like about HSF2, the AI is way too cheap.

I wish there's a way to give the AI the same behavior the other console ports of SSF2T have, where you can actually beat the game without any problems.

Because I remember in the Saturn & GBA ports, the AI was a lot easier than its arcade counterpart.

Foffy

• View Profile
« Reply #6365 on: February 05, 2020, 11:32:16 am »
Same here, that was the thing I did not like about HSF2, the AI is way too cheap.

I wish there's a way to give the AI the same behavior the other console ports of SSF2T have, where you can actually beat the game without any problems.

Because I remember in the Saturn & GBA ports, the AI was a lot easier than its arcade counterpart.

I think the difficulty in HSFII is based on the arcade version of Super Turbo, which is infamous for being one of the hardest Street Fighter games even on the easiest setting. "Arcade perfect" games of that era usually kept the infamous button reading AI, as the games were designed to get money from you. If you were compromised in the home experience in terms of visuals, sounds, loading times and the like, they likely also altered the AI to compensate the downgrade.

WeebeeGeebee

• View Profile
« Reply #6366 on: February 05, 2020, 10:54:21 pm »
Ya wanna know a good idea for a hack? How about someone remove that annoying and time consuming "Buster falling into a Dumpster" death animation from Buster Busts Loose for Super Nintendo. That death animation is entirely pointless and obnoxious when you consider that Buster flies partway up the screen after already falling from losing his last heart (Seriously, go dash up the sides of the book cases in the first level and tell me that death animation isn't irritating). It could easily be replaced with a "White Washout" screen like in Mega Man X or Rockman and Forte.

Stifu

• View Profile
« Reply #6367 on: February 06, 2020, 04:03:29 pm »
I want to see a small hack for the Japanese version of Final Fight CD that adds the animated backgrounds for stage 3 & 4 from the American version to this version.

But I have a feeling that they are in this version, the coding for them may have got messed up during the development.

If they are in there, is there a way to fix the coding and get them to work?

Also, Final Fight CD needs yellow hit marks when hitting the bonus stage car. This used to bother me so much.

Original: https://youtu.be/KL22s0MPiA4?t=619
CD version: https://youtu.be/NeWkue8axG8?t=1631

WebSlinger

• View Profile
« Reply #6368 on: February 07, 2020, 12:18:06 pm »
Level Editor for Wizards & Warriors!

RealGaea

• View Profile
« Reply #6369 on: February 07, 2020, 01:31:40 pm »
Consider this a very stupid idea... 30th Anniversary Collection fixes this.

The ISMs colors for CPU were made to distinguish easier which ISM uses without to look at the bar, only present on Arcade version. To avoid further confusion, that method stayed even on SFA3MAX.

Here's a bigger problem: reassign the buttons for the GBA port of SFA3U, I find straight irritating to press L+B to select the default color... Why not making this way?

A button: default color (A-ISM)
B button: kick color (A-ISM)
L button: X-ISM (punch)
R button: V-ISM (punch)
L+B button: X-ISM (kick)
R+A button: V-ISM (kick)

Ah, and make the safe fall command with one button.

Valkyrie

• View Profile
« Reply #6370 on: February 08, 2020, 07:40:00 am »
Playing HeartGold now and I suddenly wondered about a possible "restoration" for GB Sounds' tunes to make them sound exactly like the GB-counterparts instead of being more recreated from scratch in means of sound?

Not bad on their own, but I kinda wonder how it'd be like to get the sounds as they were composed in the originals more faithfully, like the GB Sounds were in Pokemon Throwback Red.

sil3nt_j

• View Profile
« Reply #6371 on: February 08, 2020, 12:18:42 pm »
Made some Karate Kid bonus stage sprites if anyone is interested in making a hack.

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #6372 on: February 08, 2020, 05:12:41 pm »
Playing HeartGold now and I suddenly wondered about a possible "restoration" for GB Sounds' tunes to make them sound exactly like the GB-counterparts instead of being more recreated from scratch in means of sound?

Not bad on their own, but I kinda wonder how it'd be like to get the sounds as they were composed in the originals more faithfully, like the GB Sounds were in Pokemon Throwback Red.

I haven't looked into how/why it happened. You'd expect recreating the music to take longer than using an emulator-like approach.

For that matter, Gold and Silver have never had an actual OST release...

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #6373 on: February 08, 2020, 05:55:58 pm »
For Oracle of Ages, replace the dreary brown look of the past with present time's palette. Ambi's Palace garden is the only place in the past to have present-like palette.

SkyLizardGirl

• Flooower
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #6374 on: February 08, 2020, 11:51:49 pm »
Somehow Expand Super Mario Bros 3's Nes capabilities, To Make up to 12 or 15, maybe 18 Worlds.

This would be outstanding. I know this is kinda a pipe dream. Or might be over-asking majorly.

Anyways.. ,

February 09, 2020, 12:00:36 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)

I'll Put One last one out there.

(Super Mario World + Extended)

I always felt the game Super Mario world was waay too short.
There should be a good number of extra levels before each koopaling' boss.

One example is the short lack of levels when you get to the bridge to go to Ludwig Von Koopa.
There is only like 1 or a couple levels after you have defeated the last Koopaling before him. This should drastically be changed and that bridge should be a miniture area of its own, plus any area's in between koopaling' are added and expanded.

This would make Super Mario World just as big as Mario-3 or possibly a bit bigger in size.
Maybe build a whole extra island or two of levels in the game to expand this method.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 12:03:22 am by SkyLizardGirl »
Blaster Master Hacker

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #6375 on: February 09, 2020, 01:14:16 am »
Disregard this post, I'm dumb lol.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 01:28:37 am by Kallisto »

4lorn

• View Profile
« Reply #6376 on: February 09, 2020, 05:52:22 am »

Maybe build a whole extra island or two of levels in the game to expand this method.

Curiously, I always felt the opposite - the game had more than enough levels, but most are so vanilla as to be uninteresting. There are a couple of fun ones but the game only "takes off" so to speak in the Star Road, with actually engaging levels. This idea that I have to run through dozens of ho hum levels to "earn" my way to a nobler, more focused design put me off the game for a long time. I never returned to it, unlike SMB3, which is still great.

SCD

• SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6377 on: February 09, 2020, 09:50:54 pm »
I think both SMB3 & SMW have enough levels, you don't want to make them too long.

The hack I want to see for SMB3 is one that will give Luigi his own set of sprites instead of sharing Mario's.

hossbags2

• View Profile
« Reply #6378 on: February 10, 2020, 07:53:34 pm »
Latest build of FCEUX supports Virtual Boy Controllers. Is there a way to have Crazy Climber use the Virtual Boy controller since it has 2 dpads on it

pocket

• Super Mario Bros. Super Nerd
    • View Profile
    • my gaming tumblr
« Reply #6379 on: February 10, 2020, 08:27:06 pm »
Somehow Expand Super Mario Bros 3's Nes capabilities, To Make up to 12 or 15, maybe 18 Worlds.

This would be outstanding. I know this is kinda a pipe dream. Or might be over-asking majorly.

Anyways.. ,

February 09, 2020, 12:00:36 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)

One example is the short lack of levels when you get to the bridge to go to Ludwig Von Koopa.
There is only like 1 or a couple levels after you have defeated the last Koopaling before him. This should drastically be changed and that bridge should be a miniture area of its own, plus any area's in between koopaling' are added and expanded.

This would make Super Mario World just as big as Mario-3 or possibly a bit bigger in size.

Actually I believe all of the levels on the top of mountain, as well as the secret water level under the bridge, are meant to be part of Ludwig's "World", they just really made a mess of arranging it so that you have to find the secret exit in Vanilla Dome to experience it all.
Somebody alert me when a user friendly BS Zelda hacking tool is made. I will give my soul to work on a faithful SNES remake of Zelda 1.