News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2529874 times)

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #6260 on: December 24, 2019, 04:17:52 am »
Snatcher (Sega CD): A hack that will decensor the game to make it look more like its PC Engine CD counterpart.

Final Fight CD (Sega CD):

A hack that will add all this stuff to the international versions:

Pyron's color hack.
Make his color hack work on the cut-scenes.
Decensor everything.
Restore the blood.
Redub all the cut-scenes with better voice actors.
Restore the missing ending cut-scene where Cody is talking to Guy from the Japanese version.
Fix any spelling errors in the text.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 11:07:35 pm by SCD »

niuus

• View Profile
« Reply #6261 on: December 27, 2019, 08:35:50 pm »
Agreed. I'd do an ultimate patch for Super Mario World with the SA-1 improvements, the good Luigi sprite, and posibily some improvements from the Game Boy Advance port, like knowing the Dragon Coins you have collected in a stage.

Also:

- Axelay: make and arrange mode where you can recover your lost weapons, instead of having to die to have it again. Also, make the game brighter the default mode.
- Streets of Rage 3: bring back the original Streets of Rage 3 title screen to the japanese translation hack.

- Thunderforce IV: a patch to make the PAL version in full screen and fix the music slowdown.

- UN Squadron (Snes): Made it possible to save you game.

- Dynamite Headdy: I like a lot of the changes for the international release, but I'd like a patch that brings back some options from the japanese version:
* Start the game with 3 continues.
* Collecting 10 continue icons gives the player a continue.
* When you enter the tutorial segments, you'd be asked if you want to practice or leave the room like in the japanese version.
* Bring back the applause sound effect to Headdy's victory animation.
* Bring back the original Health Points from the japanese bosses (No more Twin Freaks desperation).

UMK3 for Genesis or SNES with altered AI that is more lenient and isn't totally cheap. No 100% countering certain moves like the roundhouse kick after 1 frame. No countering uppercuts with another uppercut after 1 frame. None of that perfect backwards walk stuff.
All of those sound great!

Some hacks i'd love to see:

- PS2 Street Fighter Anniversary Collection, Samurai Shodown Anthology, Street Fighter Alpha Anthology: a patch to completely disable the bilinear filter, which only blurs the graphics. And maybe, if it is possible, proper 240p support.

Other hacks that might require a lot of love and effort and might not happen:

- SNES Lethal Enforcers: restore missing frames, sounds and content, already present in the Mega Drive version, to make it closer to the arcade, since the snes port is already superior in sound quality and colors.

- SNES Final Fight: reinsert the missing stage.

Definitely not easy romhack:
- SNES Earthworm Jim: reinsert the missing level "Intestinal Distress" and maybe add "New Junk City Part 2" and "Big Bruty", the foreground clouds in "What the Heck", the new standing animations from Mega CD, the original sound effects that were cut (a somehow big amount)

It's not that hard, but due to the small size it would be more of a passing resemblance, or you'd have to change the monster bodies into just walking heads.

https://uploadfiles.io/t6hgarf2
You can switch back to 3 button mode by holding C + Start on controller 1 when you enter the options menu.
Any chance for a mirror of that Shinobi III 6 button default hack? That fileserver requires premium access.

Megatronformayor

• View Profile
« Reply #6262 on: December 28, 2019, 03:09:04 am »
Anyone interested in improving Ninja Gaiden's issuse like reducing knock back,make enemies not respawn after they're killed, and not having to start from 6-1 when defeated by the final boss.

Googie

• I'd like to solve the puzzle... Jiggers!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
« Reply #6263 on: December 28, 2019, 09:39:05 am »
Put Pepe the Frog in this game, this game, and this game. :D

It's the perfect fit. :thumbsup:

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #6264 on: December 28, 2019, 12:07:50 pm »
Well since the Game Gear had a Sailor Moon translation already, I wouldn't mind the other Sailor Moon games having English translation as well (though I'd also fix La Luna Splendid for the DS first).

EDIT: I also wouldn't mind if the games, if translated, would get the same treatment that SuperS Floating Party Panic did and give 2 different types of translations (with Original Names and with DIC/Cloverway names) to satisfy both purists/Viz Dub fans and those who grew up with the 90s dub.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 01:20:43 am by julayla »

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #6265 on: December 28, 2019, 12:25:01 pm »
Pokemon Stadium or any mainline game to use the type chart from the trading card games.

WeebeeGeebee

• View Profile
« Reply #6266 on: December 28, 2019, 02:04:15 pm »
Without 3 bullet stacking like in the NES Mega Man games, Wily Wars is extemely annoying to play. Even the Mega Man X games let you stack bullets behind each other.

Is there any way that someone could either add the feature back in, or maybe make a duplicate of the Nuclear Fire weapon, retool it to look more like the full burst you'd expect from Mega Man 4 and set that as the default Buster weapon. Each level of charging should only take half of a second of holding down the fire button.

Mega Man would flash white for the first level of charge, then flash green for the second level of charge. This would make it function more like the charge shot in Rockman and Forte. If re-tooling the Nuclear Fire weapon to be the main Buster weapon would be too difficult, then maybe another option would be to reduce the number of hits needed for smaller enemies by half. Like, the Shrimp enemies in Bubble Man's stage normally take less hits in the actual NES game, but in Wily Wars they need more hits to kill and they start ganging up on you.

Same deal with the clock spring guys in Metal Man's stage.

Mamodo

• View Profile
« Reply #6267 on: December 28, 2019, 07:51:00 pm »
A Pokemon DPPt, HGSS, BW/BW2 patch to restore the metric system from the JP games to the US Pokedex

The imperial measuring system is useless outside the US, and the games becomes a less immersive experience when you have to check these things in a converter to have an idea about basic data that's meant to be readily available to the player.

Talking from my experience as a kid trying to figure out the metric system since the GB, this would be a big improvement for people in central and south america

#

• View Profile
« Reply #6268 on: December 29, 2019, 10:50:30 am »
Any chance for a mirror of that Shinobi III 6 button default hack? That fileserver requires premium access.
I was working on an improved version and I was going to upload it to the romhacking.net archive along with a few other control improvement hacks, but I got distracted by other projects and forgot about them. I'll finish the improved version and upload it early next year.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6269 on: December 29, 2019, 12:49:50 pm »
A Pokemon DPPt, HGSS, BW/BW2 patch to restore the metric system from the JP games to the US Pokedex

The imperial measuring system is useless outside the US, and the games becomes a less immersive experience when you have to check these things in a converter to have an idea about basic data that's meant to be readily available to the player.

Talking from my experience as a kid trying to figure out the metric system since the GB, this would be a big improvement for people in central and south america

It is occasionally used in story text as well. Though honestly you'd have to look up guides anyways for the gameplay usage information (such as weight-based damage attacks). I barely even bothered checking Pokedex information myself. Many of those that I did notice seem to be arbitrary numbers anyways. A 70lb. balloon, 550 lb. sandcastle and 2000 lb. horse don't make sense in Imperial anyways. Divide pound by half and foot by a third (12 inches in a foot to estimate the remainder) and you have a roughly good enough idea how ridiculous.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #6270 on: December 30, 2019, 11:24:31 am »
Hmm, I'm a little curious about something. Do you think someone should fix up the Woody Woodpecker game to make it less...well, let's face it: Make it suck less? I mean I loved Woody Woodpecker growing up, but this game I tried out wasn't really good. Maybe some adjustments could improve it?

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #6271 on: December 30, 2019, 11:33:47 am »
Should? It seems most ROM hackers are fairly "do what you like".

Beyond that you are going to have to elaborate upon why you think it is bad. There is a rather large difference between fixing "3 lives, no continues, unfair game" with an infinite lives cheat and fixing slowdown and badly designed camera https://docs.google.com/document/d/1iNSQIyNpVGHeak6isbP6AHdHD50gs8MNXF1GCf08efg/pub .

Nightwolf

• View Profile
« Reply #6272 on: December 30, 2019, 01:19:03 pm »
Hi. For Phantasy Star 2, I am wondering how difficult could be to remove the red flashing screen when receiving damage in combat. I really want to play PS2 as they are many nice hacks, the walk speed hack is a must! but the combat.... dammit :_(

EDIT: Oh I found it. ASM code, just remove that line:

Character_IsHit:
   btst   #4, battle_status(a0)   ; did character receive no damage (e.g. 0 damage, miss, healing)?
   bne.s   Character_Display      ; if so, branch
   move.w   hit_timer(a0), d0
   andi.w   #$F, d0
   beq.s   loc_1BE4
   cmpi.w   #8, d0
   bne.s   loc_1C1A
   move.l   #$E000E, d0
   move.w   d0, (Palette_table_buffer).w --> Remove it
   cmpi.w   #$103, (Enemy_formation).w
   bne.s   loc_1BE2      ; branch if it's not Mother Brain boss battle
   move.l   d0, ($FFFFFB70).w
   move.l   d0, ($FFFFFB74).w
   move.l   d0, ($FFFFFB78).w
   move.l   d0, ($FFFFFB7C).w
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 02:04:28 pm by Nightwolf »

niuus

• View Profile
« Reply #6273 on: December 30, 2019, 11:59:17 pm »
I was working on an improved version and I was going to upload it to the romhacking.net archive along with a few other control improvement hacks, but I got distracted by other projects and forgot about them. I'll finish the improved version and upload it early next year.
Oh, sounds very nice. I'll be on the lookout if you create a thread about it. :)

Mord_Fustang

• View Profile
« Reply #6274 on: December 31, 2019, 12:16:22 am »
Doki Doki Panic with run hack.

It's too slow if you can't run.

IAmCaptPlanet

• View Profile
« Reply #6275 on: December 31, 2019, 02:29:51 pm »
i fully agree on that one!!

i have always wanted to play Doki Doki Panic in it's original form, but the no run button just killed it for me.

also, while on the subject of Mario, we were talking about a full SMB1 re-make in SMB3 the other day, using different styles and themes to recreate all the levels from SMB1 in SMB3, well i found this hack on here that i'm getting ready to try out.

it seems to be exactly what hack i was thinking of for SMB1, but re-did in SMW (but SMB3 style)

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/66/

they even re-did the Lost Levels (J-SMB2) too!

_edit___
maybe even keep the new boss-fight from SMB2, because isn't one of the bosses in DDP just a repeat of another, like 2 tryclydes and no clawglip? i think they did that.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 02:35:53 pm by IAmCaptPlanet »

sics

• Contact me!
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart: Terwilf
« Reply #6276 on: January 02, 2020, 10:32:53 am »
Create a filter that redeems the transparency effect in Megadrive.

Layer 2 | Opacity% 50, displaced one pixel to the right.
Layer 1 | Without changes.

Layer 3 | Opacity% 25.
Layer 2 | Opacity% 50, displaced one pixel to the right.
Layer 1 | Without changes.

Combined with the one filter focus, Scanlines, or XBR, the result is much more showy.
twitter | deviantart | Better a small finished project than a thousand giant ideas stuck in your system.

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #6277 on: January 02, 2020, 11:47:40 am »
It exists for retroarch, without blurring other things
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

WeebeeGeebee

• View Profile
« Reply #6278 on: January 04, 2020, 01:42:53 am »
Since the official Trials of Mana ROM is out in the wild will someone please figure out why it glitches the text in the menu?

"Select the equipment and confirm to switch out."

If you move to pointer to something, it becomes:.

"Select the equipment and confirm to switch ouCui"

Because it's eating part of the equipment names.

Oddly enough it only happens for Riesz. Doesn't seem to affect Charlotte.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 02:00:54 am by WeebeeGeebee »

sil3nt_j

• View Profile
« Reply #6279 on: January 05, 2020, 01:09:02 pm »
Hack idea: Karate Kid game based off of the first movie.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 10:44:23 am by sil3nt_j »