News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 1609456 times)

redmagejoe

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #6220 on: November 29, 2019, 10:54:05 pm »

https://guides.gamercorner.net/ffii/systems

Going to compile the known list of Final Fantasy II bugs/gripes into an easily readable list, since past posts were a bit rambly and got lost in the flow of this thread. Most of these should likely be incorporated into a single bug fix patch similar to those available for FF1, though single standalone patches would be appreciated if someone is willing to take a crack at fixing even just one thing. Something is better than nothing.

• Stats, Weapon Skills, and Spell Levels still being checked even when they are maxed. This leads to annoying end-of-battle message spam for maxed out weapons "leveling" any time you perform a single attack. More fundamentally though, this means that you can arbitrarily lose Strength, Intellect, or Stamina in a battle only because the game still checks to see if Spirit, Strength, or Intellect (respectively) increase when they are maxed. This entire routine should be skipped in the case of maxed out stats.
  • Speaking of maxed out stats, there's no actual cap on HP or MP, meaning that HP can go above 9999 and MP above 999. This results in some buggy behavior, as the game attempts to display the values in the stat window using 3 figures, so you end up with hexadecimal values like 9D0 instead of 1030, and in combat it tries to display the full value, but only has 4 or 3 places so cuts off the most significant digit. There needs to be some check to ensure HP and MP do not raise above 9999 and 999 respectively.
  • While testing and in the same vein of Weapon Skills, it appears that there's some sort of bug, underflow perhaps, pertaining to Weapon Skills once they reach 14. At 14 and 15, a single attack will instantly level them up if attacking a Rank 1 enemy formation, perhaps because of the Weapon Skill experience malus. A gripe not as frustrating as the above listed bug.
  • Evasion and Magic Defense levels do not display as leveling up in your stat window after the battle which earned the level up. You must complete 1 more battle before the display is updated.
  • Party-wide magic spells cast by enemies add to Firion's Spirit Up counter.
  • Protect does not affect anyone but the caster, whether target-all'd or targeting an ally.
  • Dispel does nothing. Unclear what it is supposed to do.
  • Ultima is supposed to scale (in an unclear way) based on the skill levels of your other skills. Remakes of FF2 can likely be referenced to adjust this in a way that works.
  • Aura 8 does not grant Undead protection, and Barrier 8 does not grant Ice protection.
  • Wall can be exploited by casting it on monsters to ensure that Toad, Break, Death, and Warp work on them. Wall's effects should likely be checked before any routines handling animation or other effects take place.
  • Healing items in combat are bound to casting on self, rather than allowing a target to be chosen. This renders Phoenix Down, Gold Needle, and Maiden's Kiss useless in combat.
  • Sap only acts on the least significant byte rather than the whole of a target's MP.
  • Healing Staff heals Undead as well as hurts them.
  • Ripper appears to display incorrect damage values, which was fixed in remakes.
  • The middle two characters, Guy and Maria, are biased by the enemy targetting algorithm, taking significantly more enemy focus than Firion or Character #4.
  • That's it for bugs. A standalone title screen patch as seen in Neo Demiforce's translation would be nice to be used with newer translation projects, or even just the base JP game.
  • More involved and potentially game-breaking if changed, but I find it maddening that key items, which already take up valuable inventory slots, seem to remain with you even when they should be consumed within the context of the story. There is no way to dispose of them either, and it makes inventory management more miserable as the game goes on. Why is the Goddess's Bell still in your inventory when it permanently opens Kashuan Keep after one use? Why is the Pass still in your inventory even after its similar single use access? Why is Egil's Torch still in your inventory after acquiring Sunfire? Why are BOTH still in your inventory even after throwing them into the Dreadnought's core? Why are the previous three of the four mentioned items ALL STILL IN YOUR INVENTORY when the relevant plot point blows the fuck up? I'm in the Deist Cavern with a WyvernEgg, trying to hatch it, and I'll bet dollars to donuts even after it hatches and there is a living, breathing Wyvern in the game world, I'll still have that damned egg in my pockets.

So I found another fun bug... Clearly they did not expect anyone to level their HP up to 9999 or higher. HP can indeed go above 9999. Imagine my surprise when I leveled from 9992 HP to 99J1 in my menu. In battle, it would try to display the values correctly, but due to the number of spaces available, 10091/10091 became 0091/0091. Add this to the list of things that need to have some sort of check for maximum values.

EDIT: Now I'm forced to wonder if MP can go above 999 as well... It would be really helpful if there were a disassembly of this game to see what sort of spaghetti code is resulting in these bugs.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 04:31:40 pm by redmagejoe »

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #6221 on: November 30, 2019, 10:53:47 am »
I'll probably dive into Mega Man Xtreme 2 soon, and try to see if I can apply an edit that will make you gain items (heart tanks, weapons) for both characters regardless of whom you're playing as, in Extreme Mode.

Similar to what DarkSamus added to his X5 Improvement.
What about a patch to start with Xtreme Mode unlocked 😬

The1-uptriforce

• View Profile
« Reply #6222 on: November 30, 2019, 07:04:48 pm »
I noticed a consistency isssue is SOR 2 its not huge but i find it odd in 2 you can body slam the fat guy fire breathers by body slamming them while it is nice to do the 1st and last game have him hurt you if you try is it possible to fix this?

day2data

• View Profile
« Reply #6223 on: December 02, 2019, 02:34:09 am »
Do it... go now. Go look. In the hacks section. Look there, at the "Games" drop-down menu.
LOOK AT IT. Scroll down, not "J".. scroll down, not "M".. scrolling, scrolling....
AHHH the "S" section.
Do you see it, or rather, do you not see it?
All of these brilliant and wonderful people that are way smarter than me and I'm quite sure, way more handsome than I...
Of all of these very handsome and skilled Individuals...
No one has made a SINGLE hack for the SNES version of Shadowrun?
I mean come on.. a futuristic, cyber-punk setting, where dragon owned corporate technocracies control the world.
Somebody, do something here. I'm dying, I mean slowly day to day, but I am dying. Please someone at least lie to me, and tell me there will be fixed pixel hack in the next century.
Thank you for participating in my light harassment.

4lorn

• View Profile
« Reply #6224 on: December 02, 2019, 11:28:25 am »
I'd like to see the US version of Virtua Racing 32X getting the JP ability to save lap times and the mirror mode. I'm not smart enough to create that kind of hack on my own.

E.Signal

• View Profile
« Reply #6225 on: December 02, 2019, 11:57:43 am »
The Game Gear versions of Streets of Rage 1 and 2 needs some tweaking, I know they're not going to top the Genesis versions, but make them playable at least. In the GG SOR1, the character's punch combos are way too slow and doesn't stun enemies long enough to finish them, that's if you're lucky enough to even get a punch off to begin with, which brings me to my next issue. When you're trying to get close to punch enemies, you're most likely grabbing them by mistake, leaving yourself open for damage. Another problem is that, there's no invincibility frames when you're getting up from a knockdown, meaning enemies can keep knocking you down, causing you so many lives and continues in a matter of seconds, it's so cheap and annoying, especially when you're trying to beat the game on 1 credit. The GG SOR2 only suffers from bad hit detection and the same problem from GG SOR1, getting up from knockdowns.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #6226 on: December 02, 2019, 12:35:10 pm »
I'd like to see the US version of Virtua Racing 32X getting the JP ability to save lap times and the mirror mode. I'm not smart enough to create that kind of hack on my own.

For mirror mode then are there any screen flip options in an emulator or your OS? Sometimes you will see them just because but those things aimed at projectors and arcade cabinets often have such tricks. Anyway that + mapping the controls to be left is right and right is left and you have it (give or take mirrored locations, scores and whatnot). Afraid I don't know the megadrive and 32x hardware well enough to know if there is such a tricky in hardware (it is right on the cusp of it being a generally seen feature) as that can also do things for you.

Score saving is not the hardest hack but it is almost invariably in assembly territory. Usually amounts to making the cart think a save is present (don't know if you just do it or have to change some header values or get more exotic, and then punting it to and from said imagined area.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6227 on: December 02, 2019, 06:05:50 pm »
Also, isn't Mirror Mode already in the game with a cheat code?
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

4lorn

• View Profile
« Reply #6228 on: December 02, 2019, 07:52:31 pm »
I think there is a cheat, yes, but the JP version's battery back-up allows you to permanently unlock mirror mode if you beat all the circuits in 1st place, and save that info along with lap times.

You also get a medal even when finishing in 1st place in Easy Mode, which does not happen in the US version.

A.W. Laris Borromeo

• View Profile
« Reply #6229 on: December 02, 2019, 11:04:21 pm »
Spawn (SNES) hacks:
*Easy moves (did you know that some of Spawn's moves in the game are very complicated?)
*Spawn's moves cost less Necroplasm
*Comic-accurate sprite colors
*New villains based on later issues
*An MSU-1 hack featuring the cartoon opening and the movie soundtrack
*(Optional) Spawn's sprite based on the movie Spawn

Spawn (GBC) Hacks:
*Final level playable in Easy Mode

« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 11:12:08 pm by A.W. Laris Borromeo »
I believe the morning sun, always gonna shine again.

gerry515

• View Profile
« Reply #6230 on: December 03, 2019, 02:48:30 am »
I'm uncomfortable calling this an idea when it's really a request for a (hopefully) simple fix. Is there any possibility that someone can add the big and readable font from the Seiken Densetsu 3 translation to Trials of Mana? I was curious enough about the new script that I was willing to replay ToM again, but this right here just isn't working out.

https://i.imgur.com/B5jS8Ry.png

Only asking because I tend to capture screenshots of playthroughs just to have something to look at later on, and that clearly can't happen with the current font.

Edit, just now occurred to me that maybe the font from the translation would create issues with longer dialogue in Trials of Mana. But maybe some other solution for the font size would be possible to add?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 05:13:14 pm by gerry515 »

4l3j4ndr0

• Gameboy Color Rules!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6231 on: December 03, 2019, 01:37:39 pm »
Perhaps now that there is a complete spanish translation of Star Ocean: Blue Sphere, it would be easier to do an english translation :3

Just please dont use it as a base, you can use dictionary and vwf instead of the squishytext and those 1200 tiles for text.

day2data

• View Profile
« Reply #6232 on: December 03, 2019, 03:52:49 pm »
Remove all the cut-scenes from Final Fantasy 5...

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6233 on: December 03, 2019, 05:41:02 pm »
I'm uncomfortable calling this an idea when it's really a request for a (hopefully) simple fix. Is there any possibility that someone can add the big and readable font from the Seiken Densetsu 3 translation to Trials of Mana? I was curious enough about the new script that I was willing to replay ToM again, but this right here just isn't working out.

https://i.imgur.com/B5jS8Ry.png

Only asking because I tend to capture screenshots of playthroughs just to have something to look at later on, and that clearly can't happen with the current font.

Edit, just now occurred to me that maybe the font from the translation would create issues with longer dialogue in Trials of Mana. But maybe some other solution for the font size would be possible to add?

It could be the emulator. I'm guess the ToM translation uses High Resolution mode for the text. Does Secret of Mana's menus display properly? (which also use Hi-Res mode) (I'm presuming the Japanese version also used it to get higher resolution kanji but maybe the fan-translation made it normal resolution or made a font within the same size. Since in English there's not much difference between a squished high-res font and a think low-res font.)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Sonic68710

• View Profile
« Reply #6234 on: December 03, 2019, 06:09:43 pm »
Does anyone know how to make a SRAM save patch for the USA version of Mega Man Wiley Wars so it will work on Mega Everdrive X5? Thanks

gerry515

• View Profile
« Reply #6235 on: December 03, 2019, 10:46:27 pm »
It could be the emulator. I'm guess the ToM translation uses High Resolution mode for the text. Does Secret of Mana's menus display properly? (which also use Hi-Res mode) (I'm presuming the Japanese version also used it to get higher resolution kanji but maybe the fan-translation made it normal resolution or made a font within the same size. Since in English there's not much difference between a squished high-res font and a think low-res font.)

Not sure about the SOM menus, but I can still give some info. I'm using zsnes. The video settings have filters allowed with none of the filter options selected. With this, the text is perfectly clear.

https://i.imgur.com/JvrxfI3.png

But once I take an internal screenshot, this is what I'm left with. (this is an enlarged copy of the original screenshot)

https://i.imgur.com/alXACe6.png

I can't imagine there is a solution for the screenshots other than replacing the font.

mz

• Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #6236 on: December 04, 2019, 01:17:23 am »
I can't imagine there is a solution for the screenshots other than replacing the font.
That's the most insanely difficult solution you could find for such a simple problem.

Just try using an emulator that was touched at least once in the last 12 years and isn't absolute rubbish by today's standards. This works fine, for example: https://bsnes.byuu.org/
There has to be a better life.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #6237 on: December 04, 2019, 12:17:10 pm »
That's the most insanely difficult solution you could find for such a simple problem.

Just try using an emulator that was touched at least once in the last 12 years and isn't absolute rubbish by today's standards. This works fine, for example: https://bsnes.byuu.org/

:laugh:

Three words that speak volumes: "I'm using ZSNES". :)

We ought to pin the link to the Emulation General wiki:

http://emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/Main_Page

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #6238 on: December 04, 2019, 04:49:59 pm »
I’ll be looking forward to a new hack release titled “Trials of Mana Font Replacement, Optimized For ZSNES Screenshots”

Label: “Improvement”

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #6239 on: December 04, 2019, 05:54:38 pm »
Does anyone know how to make a SRAM save patch for the USA version of Mega Man Wiley Wars so it will work on Mega Everdrive X5? Thanks

What region is your console?

I'm not sure why, but IIRC the SRAM save patch available on this site changes the game's region code to USA.
Rather than just removing the lockout.

You'll need to get around it if you want to use SRAM on a non-USA console.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 05:59:45 pm by tc »