News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2165582 times)

MathUser2929

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #580 on: March 11, 2013, 03:23:20 pm »
Willford Brimley cameos could become the hack authors trademark.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: March 11, 2013, 11:56:53 pm »
Maybe Pikachumanson is aware of it, but you sound like you haven't heard of PopeHentai? He's a guy that made a lot of Wilford Brimley hacks in the late '90s, including Adventure Island.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Pikachumanson

• View Profile
« Reply #582 on: March 12, 2013, 12:22:55 am »
That's exactly what I was thinking. I can't play adventure island anymore without thinking of Wilfred Brimley now.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #583 on: March 14, 2013, 02:15:53 pm »
Here's one for Final Fantasy VI hackers. Rewrite the dummied summon command so it has a menu of selectable summons instead of just casting the currently equipped magicite's spell. Also, make the currently available summons spells depend on which magicites have been collected.

Another simpler one, assuming it hasn't been done before is edit the event that replaces Odin with Raiden so that Raiden DOESN'T replace Odin so you can have both.

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #584 on: March 14, 2013, 02:26:21 pm »
Hacking Quest 64 to make the game multitudes better and/or increase replay value for those already liking the game. Modifying spells, bosses, etc. We have GameShark codes to do them in the meantime. The author knows more, but stopped updating because he felt it wasn't being appreciated enough.

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #585 on: March 16, 2013, 03:00:33 pm »
Seeing as someome made (and combined) hacks that enhances Metroid's game experience, why not should one not add the "left and right differences" sprites for it? Also, why not start doing some gameplay improvement for Metroid 2? My suggestions on the subject:
  • Change Save Select screen to allow you to see the progress of each save data (along with overall Metroids defeated, time and percentage), but not extend save slots to three (at least, not until everything is done)
  • Add an in-game map. Really, it needs one. even if a very crude one, displaying only areas.
  • Allow beam combination and, perhaps, add a menu in the Pause/Map Screen that allows you to pick which of the beams you unlocked you want to combine.
  • Afterwards, some graphical improvement (new sprites?) and expansion of save slots to three.

darkanx

• View Profile
« Reply #586 on: March 16, 2013, 05:30:44 pm »
A hack to get the newly-dumped prototype of Tyrannosaurus Tex to work on all emulators and flash carts.
http://www.nintendoplayer.com/unreleased/tyrannosaurus-tex/

Pikachumanson

• View Profile
« Reply #587 on: March 16, 2013, 05:35:38 pm »
Didn't someone hack Kid Icarus to make it more like Metroid?

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: March 16, 2013, 09:23:54 pm »
A hack to get the newly-dumped prototype of Tyrannosaurus Tex to work on all emulators and flash carts.
http://www.nintendoplayer.com/unreleased/tyrannosaurus-tex/

Isn't the problem that it was a pretty advanced game with high hardware compatibility.
That and it was unfortunately only an early beta that could be recovered (and even then, gotta wonder if it had bitrotted due to being flashed probably over a decade ago, and onto what was probably a cheap flash cart).
Might be about the same work in finding the guy who stole the final code and fled to Australia (assuming he's not somewhere else now) and make him give it up. ;D
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

daninthemix

• View Profile
« Reply #589 on: March 20, 2013, 12:09:33 pm »
I need a copy of Blast Corps (N64) without music. Can someone rip the music out of the ROM for me?

Pikachumanson

• View Profile
« Reply #590 on: March 20, 2013, 12:55:25 pm »
I wish we had a facepalm emoticon. You don't want music, then mess with the emulators sound channel settings And turn the music off.

daninthemix

• View Profile
« Reply #591 on: March 20, 2013, 01:04:10 pm »
I want sound effects, but not music. Turning off sound channels screws with the SFX.

gadesx

• View Profile
    • Gadesx scene
« Reply #592 on: March 21, 2013, 03:49:24 pm »
A Mystic Quest / Final Fantasy Adventure (GB) colorizer  :beer:

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #593 on: March 22, 2013, 06:41:49 pm »
A Mystic Quest / Final Fantasy Adventure (GB) colorizer  :beer:
I second this, but not before Kirby's Dream Land.

Johny_Olde

• View Profile
« Reply #594 on: March 24, 2013, 10:22:09 am »
Hi, I'm new here. I just got registered so I can share my idea to whoever makes awesome repro games that never made it to US out of Japan. I heard that Rondo of Blood is going to be translated which is beyond awesome but for what system? SNES? Is it possible to have it on Turbografx? Or will it be just emulator?

Anyway, that's a separate question outside this topic. I of course haven't heard of Rondo of Blood till I watched 16-bit Gems. Anyone watch that show? It's awesome! So after thinking hard, I thought since romhacking fixes games like Simon's Quest and translates them like Back to the Future, I thought of an idea they could do for Dracula X. Improve and redesign it to make it a better Rondo of Blood port but keep some of the levels at its difficulty.

The levels could be expanded a little bit like the first, second and last stage for example? After such frustration of Castlevania III Dracula's Curse, I find it needed for extended levels and difficulty to increase the game length, challenge and fun. Not enough enemies were on Dracula X.
The second boss fight should be the Wyvern.
The third stage where you jump over the platforms to get to the boss, let's let the fall be a death move rather than the entrance to a different route. I'll explain along the way.
After the third stage, from there you can select any stage you want to go to next. There's the dungeon stage, the cavern stage, the underwater stage and the castle wall stage where you fight wolf man.
The dungeon stage, so long as you have the key, you unlock Maria and she becomes playable. You can switch with Maria the same way as you do with Castlevania III Dracula's Curse. By the way, her dress is red. Please keep it that way? :)
That door before the fourth boss fight can be where you rescue the other girls or villagers I guess and they tell you where Annette is (To those who haven't played Dracula X) though most do so it'd be pointless but since the door is there... yeah. Or we can just take it off and just go to the fourth boss.
Now there should be a new stage. The stage before you fight Dracula should be where you fight Shaq and he unleashes the giant Bat, Mummy, Medusa, Frankenstein and Shaq himself. However, it will have to be invented. I just find it weird that from the clock tower to Dracula's tower? Ya know?
And final stage is the same as the SNES BUT after you pass the two moving platforms and pass the axe throwers, the next room should be the long traditional staircase that leads to Dracula's tower. At the top, he enters the next room and that can be where all the candles have the variety of weapons Richter may need to fight the platform jumping boss Dracula.
Lastly after you beaten the game and you want to play again but on hard difficulty, Maria will be available at stage 1 just like in Castlevania III where whoever character you have with you is available at stage 1. Just switch and yeah.

I thought of all that. What do you think? Sounds better?
I like to drink eggnog till my head hurts, then I drink some more till I stop.

WeebeeGeebee

• View Profile
« Reply #595 on: March 24, 2013, 10:48:41 am »
After seeing Wayforward's team up with Capcom for Ducktales Remastered... I had this really dumb idea that won't ever happen in a million years because it's impossible except maybe as one of those flash or executable games (or if Wayforward could get the rights to the properties to make such a thing).

Anyway, here goes...

Somehow the worlds of Secret of Mana and the worlds of Chrono Trigger wind up overlapping, like I dunno, some kind of wierd "thinning of dimensional barriers" occurs because of some spell Thanatos was trying out or whatever. Meanwhile in the Chrono Trigger universe, Lucca is working on her teleportation machine (that winds up being a time machine) at Leene's Square Millennial Fair. Instead of the machine sending them to Truce Canyon in 600 A.D., Marle and Chrono get sent to the Secret of Mana universe instead.

I'm not sure how it would be set up or explained that this happened, like I said, mabe a spell Thanatos was trying out or some event in the SoM world caused something to happen to allow the crossing, or some sort of shift in Mana power or some device some villain was creating / using malfunctioned and caused it to make a bridge between their universes that allowed Lucca's machine to act as a bridge.

Anyways, in the Secret of Mana universe, Chrono and Marle get to experience a new kind of gameplay style... one very much foreign to them: Real time attack battles: just walk around and slash at things, Zelda LTTP style. No menu screens and picking techs and attacks from a menu (except in the case of using the Ring Menu to pick spells, switch weapons, use items etc). Here, the CT characters can walk around freely, swing swords and fire projectile weapons like the SoM chars. The CT chars remark about how weird this is for them, but they grow to like it.

They continue on until they run into the SoM chars, Rhandi (the boy), Purim (the girl) and PoPoi (the sprite child) and they help the CT chars understand their world and what's going on; save the world from destruction by Thanatos and the Mana Beast... yadda yadda.

At some point, the SoM chars get to experience the CT universe, which is very foreign and confusing for -them- because of course, Chrono Trigger is a turn-based menu battler. So when -they- cross over, of course they're like "WTF? Why can't I move!?" And the CT characters have to learn the SoM chars the ropes, so to speak.

Maybe there could also be like a... mixing up of major enemies. Like Lavos gets transplanted to the SoM world and the Mana Beast gets transplanted into the Chrono Trigger world.

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #596 on: March 24, 2013, 12:04:18 pm »

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #597 on: March 24, 2013, 12:12:12 pm »
Maria isn't playable from the 1st level when you unlock her? I thought in the PSP version she is playable on the first stage after you are able to select what level you want to begin at. It's funny that you refer to Shaft as Shaq. Haven't heard that before.

Johny_Olde

• View Profile
« Reply #598 on: March 24, 2013, 12:17:18 pm »
WHOOPS!  My bad, my bad! Shaft! :P

Anyway, no she's not selectable on the first stage. You're probably thinking of symphony of the night. Anyway, even in Rondo of Blood, don't you have to rescue her? So it's the same in Dracula X except her dress is red.
I like to drink eggnog till my head hurts, then I drink some more till I stop.

Drakon

• View Profile
    • 16 Bit Gamer
« Reply #599 on: March 24, 2013, 06:54:41 pm »
If I wanted to hack ff6 (american version), I'd make it so at the coliseum you can actually choose your attacks instead of it being auto attack only.