News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 1197699 times)

Saum22

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #5220 on: October 07, 2018, 10:41:06 am »
How about someone making a punch out room where glass Joe takes, like 100 hits to take down, and he's faster, and the rest are much faster as well with 2 bounus health for everyone

mikael43

• View Profile
« Reply #5221 on: October 07, 2018, 10:49:02 am »
Hello ,

Outrun megadrive add a sound engine style of the pc engine version, we just squealing tires and the lack of its engine misses me.

Thank you very much. :thumbsup:

Animation Guru

• View Profile
« Reply #5222 on: October 07, 2018, 12:27:17 pm »
...maybe if the font had been a little bit bigger and perhaps a couple of extra exclamation-points at the end..?
I'm very enthusiastic.  What can I say?

pianohombre

• View Profile
    • My personal website of short stories and comics
« Reply #5223 on: October 07, 2018, 04:58:09 pm »
How about tetris where there is only 2 types of blocks instead of 4 or 5. Or, make it more challenging where there is up to 7 types of blocks.
"Programming in itself is beauty,
whether or not the operating system actually functions." - Linus Torvalds

thepatrickinator

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
« Reply #5224 on: October 07, 2018, 05:51:15 pm »
Have you guys ever thought of making Super Punch Out! Timmy Menard Edition? I did the Mac voice and announcer while the boxer voices are kept intact. The voice I said for the player character are translated from Japanese. The character quotes from the Japanese version of Super Punch Out!! on SNES is translated to English. The beta mac of Super Punch Out! gets a short black hair change so the player character is myself in the game. I'll give you guys some ideas with Timmy Menard in old school Made in Japan video games.

papermanzero

• View Profile
« Reply #5225 on: October 08, 2018, 12:29:22 pm »
Porting of Famicom Detective Club 1 and 2 from FDS to NES.
Afterwards the rom can be extended to translate the game.
Same with Shin Onigashima.

thebigguy270

• View Profile
« Reply #5226 on: October 08, 2018, 04:03:48 pm »
A hack of Punch-Out featuring Mr.Dream, but Mr.Dream's name and stats are replaced with that of Rocky Marciano, a real-life heavyweight champion who looks like him and who has never lost a single match during his whole career.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #5227 on: October 08, 2018, 06:29:30 pm »
Porting of Famicom Detective Club 1 and 2 from FDS to NES.
Afterwards the rom can be extended to translate the game.
Same with Shin Onigashima.

FDS games have roughly 64KB of storage on each side - although in practice it's less, according to NESDev.com. Famicom Detective Club 1 has two double-sided disks for a total potential size of 256KB. By using the formula from NESDev.com and looking at the amount of space used on each side, I estimate around 34,833 bytes free across the four sides, which when combined with a simple DTE routine, should arguably be enough free space for a translation.

Converting FDS games to ROMs is no mean feat, and when you consider that practically every emulator and Everdrives all emulate the FDS perfectly well, it seems reasonable to leave the games as FDS games. Switching the game over to a cart mapper rather than just adding more stuff to the files on the disk seems like more trouble than is worth.

All this is just a long-winded way of saying that if someone really wants to translate FDC then go right ahead, but I'd personally much rather do it on FDS than a ROM. :)

Same situation for Shin Onigashima (it actually has even more free space on the disk) but you have the bigger problem of the text format going vertically rather than horizontally. Good luck fixing that! :D

Animation Guru

• View Profile
« Reply #5228 on: October 08, 2018, 06:32:28 pm »
An English translation for Famicom Detective Club 2 for the Super Famicom already exists.  It's good.

Shade Aurion

• Shadow Keeper
    • View Profile
    • DudeGoBack
« Reply #5229 on: October 08, 2018, 10:41:06 pm »
Those ones are the ones which I believe should be colorized when possible.
Kirby's Dreamland is one I would absolutely love to see, given how we already have a perfectly color match up for what the colors should be in this one (Kirby Super Star Ultra has a full remake of Dreamland 1, so we can take that as the base).

Though, I do still believe that Super Mario Land 1 needs another recolorization in the same vein as Super Mario Land 2 by toruzz.
The one we have now works, but has a lot of coloring bugs and also the title screen is just bland lol
It's not that long of a game, and most level assets are reused, so this one shouldn't take THAT long (at least I hope so xD)

I agree completely regarding Super Mario Land 1. Toruzz really upped the bar of quality color hacks. I can't wait for his release of The Frog For Whom The Bell Tolls. Still, SML's color hacks are basically functional. Wario Land needs some love real bad. If I had a clue how to colorize or understood the tools it took to do it, i'd do these myself. I use my own color presets through VBA anyways. Its a shame you can't save said presets to the game itself.

I should have put Final Fantasy Adventure on that list too.

I'm an extreme novice hacked. I don't even understand how to turn your hacks into an .ips file. I've done a few hacks but they're rom files themselves, not patches I can share >_>

mz

• Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #5230 on: October 08, 2018, 10:59:54 pm »
If I had a clue how to colorize or understood the tools it took to do it, i'd do these myself.
If you won't even learn how to do these yourself, I doubt you'd do them.

The biggest part of doing things yourself is learning how to do them. Reading a ton of stuff, spending a lot of time with trial and error, etc.

(By the way, this is in general for all people who come and say "If I knew how to do X, I would do all this stuff myself." Well, the first step of doing X is learning how to do X, so put your money where your mouth is.)
There has to be a better life.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #5231 on: October 09, 2018, 02:11:09 am »
"If I knew how to do X, I would do all this stuff myself." Well, the first step of doing X is learning how to do X, so put your money where your mouth is.

Preach, brother. 8) If you've got time to post the 100 different hacks you want other people to make, you've got time to learn how to do it yourself.

stgiga

• View Profile
« Reply #5232 on: October 09, 2018, 03:00:54 pm »
I am brand new to the site, but I have a good idea for a romhack.
I was told to post it here so it could be properly realised. I decided to replace most songs in an ANNSMB hack called All Evening Nippon SMB by ShaneM, with Famitracker FDS Covers of the SMB OST. The OST has a Famitracker download.http://forums.famitracker.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4757

Sadly, I do not know ASM, and I have trouble mixing the music engines in smb2j's disassembly with this Famitracker one. Therefore I am posting this here so that one day we can have a better auditory experience for everyone who plays SMB.

I am not demanding that this be done, I just wish it would happen whenever a hacker deems this worthy. I realize I have no power, so do what you want with the idea. To whoever takes it on, if enough space is available, can this SMB3 GFX Pack be inserted if hacking SMB2j: https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3504/?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 12:36:46 pm by stgiga »

Bonkers!

• View Profile
« Reply #5233 on: October 10, 2018, 03:21:50 am »
Hmm... NES Castlevania to MSX Vampire Killer, maybe? Probably couldn't be done, but would be nice to see. I'd also like to see some MSX 1/2 to SMS hacks, like Aleste.

Shade Aurion

• Shadow Keeper
    • View Profile
    • DudeGoBack
« Reply #5234 on: October 10, 2018, 04:52:18 am »
If you won't even learn how to do these yourself, I doubt you'd do them.

The biggest part of doing things yourself is learning how to do them. Reading a ton of stuff, spending a lot of time with trial and error, etc.

(By the way, this is in general for all people who come and say "If I knew how to do X, I would do all this stuff myself." Well, the first step of doing X is learning how to do X, so put your money where your mouth is.)

Do I need to quote the thread title? I have for the record tried to get into the swing of learning hex editing and such. I'm just not very good at it. GB Colorizer is a bit of a mess and doing it all manually is rather complicated. If it weren't these hacks would have been released years ago.

dACE

• View Profile
« Reply #5235 on: October 10, 2018, 03:00:51 pm »
Do I need to quote the thread title?

You have a point.

The thing is that some does not have any sense of scope - suggesting projects that would take considerable time and effort. This pretty much ensures that no such idea will ever be realized.

If you - on the other hand - suggest a single bug-fix or a well defined feature to add, you would probably have a greater chance of seeing such a suggestion realized.

But just in case I’m wrong - can someone PLEASE demake StarFox for the GameBoy in COLOR with the original MUSIC - thanks!!!!!!

/dACE

Shade Aurion

• Shadow Keeper
    • View Profile
    • DudeGoBack
« Reply #5236 on: October 11, 2018, 12:10:42 am »
You have a point.

The thing is that some does not have any sense of scope - suggesting projects that would take considerable time and effort. This pretty much ensures that no such idea will ever be realized.

If you - on the other hand - suggest a single bug-fix or a well defined feature to add, you would probably have a greater chance of seeing such a suggestion realized.

But just in case I’m wrong - can someone PLEASE demake StarFox for the GameBoy in COLOR with the original MUSIC - thanks!!!!!!

/dACE

Agreed, but to be absolutely fair, there is a vast difference between demaking a FX chip 3D SNES in different graphics on a different, lesser platform. If that were truly to happen it would more or less be a remake in lesser graphics from the ground up. That wouldn't be hacking, it would be developing.

I suggested small edits earlier. While colorization is no small feat (and people like Toruzz set the bar high) the suggestion might trigger the drive in someone with the skill but no idea what to apply it to. That said, someone really should patch a skip on the bike level for Battletoads lmao

SmashManiac

• View Profile
« Reply #5237 on: October 11, 2018, 01:36:09 am »
How about tetris where there is only 2 types of blocks instead of 4 or 5. Or, make it more challenging where there is up to 7 types of blocks.

I believe the Tetris Randomizer already covers the first part of your request.

As for the 2nd part, well Tetris is already 7 types of blocks, so...  :P

Zero Dozer

• Wow, I've used that Eminem quote for a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5238 on: October 13, 2018, 01:17:23 am »

May I remind you that I suggested some ten bugfixes here at best and only one saw the light of the day?

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #5239 on: October 13, 2018, 02:16:31 am »
some does not have any sense of scope - suggesting projects that would take considerable time and effort.

The difference between saying "I want to be able to access this menu with a single button instead of having to go through a separate sub-menu", and saying "can someone take this SNES game and make it for the Genesis for me? kthxbai"

I agree, you may have "all the ideas" but unless you understand that sense of scope, those ideas are just shouting into the void. Incidentally I did a hack for someone who posted here, because it was just "restore graphics from Japanese game to US game" which took about an hour. Oh, and I spent a similar amount of time combining two Metroid hacks, so simple things do get done.