Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Poll

who knows how to improve this game?

Yes
0 (0%)
No
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 1388292 times)

Animation Guru

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #5100 on: August 23, 2018, 03:26:37 pm »
As a side bar to this Contra/Probotector stuff, how about a title screen hack for the version of Probotector to Operation C on the Konami GB Collection Volume 1?  It's got the Contra guy in the game, anyway, right?

Thai-Low1992

• View Profile
« Reply #5101 on: August 23, 2018, 07:36:58 pm »
Has anyone thought of doing an arcade perfect hack of Mortal Kombat 1 for the Genesis?  :P Like Shang Tsung's missing voice clips for the fighter select screen, announcing the winner of the rounds and saying "Fatality" when preformed, Sub-Zero's proper fight stance (for some odd reason in the Master System port he has it but it's just a colour swap of Scorpion in the Genesis version), the heart that Kano rips out not to look so much like a big red blob, Sub-Zero's spine rip to angle the head so the spine don't look like its hanging out of the fighters mouth and names in the life bars. I mean there's an arcade perfect port of Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 for genesis and its fantastic! Animality's were brought in along side keeping the brutality's in the game and not to mention the addition of bringing Sheeva back to replace Shao Kahn's mystery slot  :thumbsup: I've always thought that any arcade game released for the home console back in the day that didn't stand up to how its arcade counter parts looked or felt should receive a little bit of a polish to truly capture what made us plunk coins into the cabinet in the first place  :)

RealGaea

• View Profile
« Reply #5102 on: August 23, 2018, 11:18:46 pm »
As a side bar to this Contra/Probotector stuff, how about a title screen hack for the version of Probotector to Operation C on the Konami GB Collection Volume 1?  It's got the Contra guy in the game, anyway, right?

Also do the other way around, give Probotector the robot sprites. And use some artowrk for the screen you mentioned.

BlazeHeatnix

• View Profile
« Reply #5103 on: August 24, 2018, 03:11:01 am »

It'd be nice if the other games in the collection got the same treatment. "Block Game" changed to "Quarth", "Bikers" changed to "Motocross Maniacs", "Gradius" changed to "Nemesis", etc.

cartridge_rom

• View Profile
« Reply #5104 on: August 24, 2018, 10:45:36 am »
this is the hack idea ;) port the robots a advance version

Dreamwhale

• View Profile
« Reply #5105 on: August 24, 2018, 12:31:28 pm »
Speaking of Probotector/Contra...

I would love to play this:

Classic Castlevania - Run 'n Gun

The idea is to completely disable the whip attack and instead map the main attack button to subweapons, without having to press "UP" at the same time (though naturally they wouldn't be "sub"weapons anymore  ;)).

You would start with the most standard projectile weapon (e.g. the knives) and you'd have unlimited hearts.There would still be other weapons to collect (but no whip upgrades, since they wouldn't serve any purpose). Maybe, the amount of damage the weapons deal should be slightly reduced, so the games would not become too easy.

I suppose this would work for most Classicvania games like:
  • NES trilogy (at least 1 and 3)
  • Belmont's Revenge (Game Boy)
  • Dracula X/Vampire's Kiss (SNES) - though without super moves ("item crash"), since that would be too overpowered
  • Rondo of Blood (TG16) - like Dracula X with super moves disabled
  • Bloodlines (Mega Drive/Genesis) - again no super moves
  • Chronicles (PS1, X68k)

Super Castlevania IV would be impossible to finish without the whip (you need it to swing across some sections in the game - though these could be probably be cut?). And Legends has some incredibly powerful special attacks, some which might make the game way too easy, if you had unlimited supply of those. So at least some of these would need to be disabled, I guess.

Another variant of this could be a

Survival mode

Basically it's the same as above, but you would start with a reasonably limited amount of hearts - not a ton of them, but enough that the game remains beatable (you should not have to play perfectly). Of course the hearts you can collect within a stage remain. Super weapons could stay, offering a further risk/reward component. This definitely requires some extensive playtesting so the difficulty is challenging yet balanced.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 12:58:48 pm by Dreamwhale »

sickhouse

• View Profile
« Reply #5106 on: August 25, 2018, 09:58:42 pm »
With a ROM of this version of the game being practically impossible to find, I'd like to ask if someone would be willing to recreate one for me. I know that begging is discouraged here, but I'm completely code illiterate and don't know where else to ask

Essentially this just means taking the European version and making Richter flash red instead of white when hit, and making the blood splatter on death red as well.

There are some other changes too, like the cross weapons pick up icon being an actual religious cross (like the Japanese version) and not a plus sign.

The grim reaper boss may also have been changed. In the uncensored Japanese version, after killing him, his head falls off leaving a trail of blood, but in the us version, he explodes into flame, but I'm not sure which applies to the Aussie version. Maybe someone has some more info here? I'll be doing a lot of research to make sure its 100% accurate
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 10:21:55 am by MathOnNapkins »

nanashi89

• View Profile
« Reply #5107 on: August 25, 2018, 10:26:55 pm »
A Bubble Bobble hack where you got the good ending on single-player mode would be nice.

Dirtbag

• View Profile
« Reply #5108 on: August 26, 2018, 06:59:43 am »
As it's been proven that the two games can exist as one ROM by the LTTP and Super Metriod cross over hack. How about a Zelda hack with 2d elements/ Stages (think zelda 2 but better).  As well as another hack where Super Metriod has top down sections.

sickhouse

• View Profile
« Reply #5109 on: August 26, 2018, 09:55:43 am »
Recreate the Australian version of Castlevania: Vampire's Kiss

With a ROM of this version of the game being practically impossible to find, I'd like to ask if anyone would be willing to recreate it for me.
I understand that begging for others to make ROM hacks is frowned upon, but even if I wasn't code illiterate, I don't even have a computer. I've got little choice

Essentially this just means taking the European version and making Richter flash red instead of white when hit, and making the blood splatter on death red as well.

There are some other changes too, like the cross weapons pick up icon being an actual religious cross (like the Japanese version) and not a plus sign.

The grim reaper boss may also have been changed. In the uncensored Japanese version, after killing him, his head falls off leaving a trail of blood, but in the us version, he explodes into flame, but I'm not sure which applies to the Aussie version. Maybe someone here has some more info? I'll be doing a lot of research to make sure it's fully accurate, I just need someone to do all the actual work for me...

papermanzero

• View Profile
« Reply #5110 on: August 27, 2018, 08:54:55 am »
A Card Hero (GBC) English Translation :)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trade_%26_Battle:_Card_Hero

I would really like to play the game.

Another idea would be to extend the Famicom Disc System. Similar to MSU-1.
But if we would have more storage space for Famicom Disc Games, then we could translate games Detective Clube 1 and 2.

dACE

• View Profile
« Reply #5111 on: August 27, 2018, 04:43:26 pm »
I understand that begging for others to make ROM hacks is frowned upon, but even if I wasn't code illiterate, I don't even have a computer.

I think begging is allowed in this thread. Although your chances of somebody actually deliver on your request is next to none. This whole thread is kinda pointless that way...

/dACE

w1ck3d

• View Profile
« Reply #5112 on: August 27, 2018, 09:49:57 pm »
If I might make a suggestion, how about a four player hack of Super Off Road for SNES, Genesis or even both. The arcade original had an optional three player cabinet and the NES version supported four players, but the SNES/Genesis versions were stuck with only two player support.

mikael43

• View Profile
« Reply #5113 on: August 28, 2018, 11:40:58 pm »
SNES Roms USA Super street fighter 2 restore sound round fight. :'(

the speaker's voices are missing at the beginning of the fight contrary to the genesis / megadrive version :banghead:.

Please thank you  :woot!: :beer:

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #5114 on: August 30, 2018, 09:44:47 am »
I think begging is allowed in this thread. Although your chances of somebody actually deliver on your request is next to none. This whole thread is kinda pointless that way...

/dACE

Makes me question why this topic even exists, it creates false hopes. Better to provide people the tools rather than just requesting.

mz

• Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #5115 on: August 30, 2018, 10:22:00 am »
Makes me question why this topic even exists, it creates false hopes.
No one likes requests, we all have a million of things that we'd like to do or finish; we don't need more burden in our minds.

At least we have this fucking awful dumpster of thread so people requesting stuff don't contaminate the rest of the forums.

(Although it would be nicer to have a moderator that could apply the rule that says that translation requests don't go here...)

Better to provide people the tools rather than just requesting.
"Provide people the tools" as in the main function of this website's Utilities section? Or are you suggesting that we search the tools for these people? (Or worse, that we program something from scratch every time someone requests a hack for a game?)

The only tool you need to hack a game is a hex editor. What to edit is the tricky part, that's why we also have a Documents section and all the other tools that can help you find stuff or simplify the editing.

I wish we could help every lazy person that shows up here, but everybody else's time is limited too.
There has to be a better life.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #5116 on: August 30, 2018, 10:38:07 am »
What mz said (it is a corral, though not one without its perks). Though I would say you want to ditch the hex editor as soon as you can. It might be one of the first lines of attack but if you are doing actual work in it then something has probably gone wrong somewhere.

Also sometimes the requests are simple enough, sometimes they might have already been done (and while the searching and sorting here is pretty good there might be a slightly different phrasing, it might be buried in a greater hack set, it might be available for another system...), sometimes people just need a bit of a push in the right direction, sometimes someone might have a good idea that is easily executed and is something I want to play myself, sometimes it might just be a minor problem with their execution (between the hundreds of emulators, patch formats, flash carts, interesting ideas about ROMs, cheat programs, cheat formats... it can be a pain for those not already versed in the ways of things -- chuck me and all that I am into say N64 high res texture modding and I would have a great deal of learning to do, similarly I am many years out of knowing the magic phrases one needs to utter to get PS1 emulation plugins to work, what hope does the simple forum goer have if there is some ambiguously worded readme as their only guide to it all?), sometimes someone might point someone at a game they have not heard about before (especially if it is "good but for this one problem" -- I have learned of a few games and versions thereof from here before) and the list goes on.

If you come in here expecting anything other than basic civility or to be ignored then you probably missed the point. While I am at it I should probably make you aware that ideas are worthless, always have been. Prototypes, work attempted and actions on the other hand.

Heaven Piercing Man

• View Profile
« Reply #5117 on: August 30, 2018, 05:40:39 pm »
How about de-edging the early 00's fan translations that are now really amateur looking as standards evolve?

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #5118 on: August 30, 2018, 09:44:31 pm »
Suggesting it would be better in the long run to train up future romhackers or point them in the right direction, and also it would be simple to just create a new rule as "no requests allowed" because if the premise of this topic is simply a dumpster to keep the board clean then that seems rather...slightly passive aggressive to people when they visit here? On other hand as FAST suggested then there is a still a purpose as some ideas on here were created, but the problem is it's built on top of the initial reason which some people may feel like they're apparent scum of the Earth.

if anything maybe this topic needs a new purpose "Hack ideas: Tool Suggestions & Teamwork for your ideas", and then when they have a working prototype/attempted actions they can proceed to create a separate topic to get the ball rolling. I think it could work, we got a lot of people who visit RHDN with all sorts of different skillsets and knowledge. Where one is busy, the other one might have free time to point someone in the right direction.

This is all my opinion, just wanted to share my thoughts on this. I just prefer we give this a more positive path than how it initially started.  :-\
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 10:08:48 pm by Kallisto »

Zero Dozer

• Wow, I've used that Eminem quote for a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5119 on: August 30, 2018, 11:47:37 pm »
Well, I, too, think it's overdue the time to repurpose this thread. Noting that I got told here in this thread in fact that this thread was a dumpster for ideas no one would want to pick.