News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 982479 times)

BlazeHeatnix

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #5080 on: August 09, 2018, 10:25:19 pm »
I'll be updating this post with each new idea that comes to mind.

Batman: Return of the Joker (Game Boy):

The other Batman games by Sunsoft are really, REALLY good, but this one has one fatal flaw: no extra lives. You die once, the game's over, and you only get 5 continues. Also, most enemies block your Batarangs and your punch's range is non-existent. You'll always trade hits with most enemies if you use it. So here's what I'd like to do or see done to the game:

-Add a lives system with infinite continues. When dying, start immediately at the beginning of the area. Continuing would put you at the beginning of the stage.
-Don't let enemies block Batarangs.
-Batarangs can break crates/rocks.
-Increase the range for the punch so it's more like Batman: The Video Game on NES.
-Remove knockback. (On the fence about this one)

Bugs Bunny's Birthday Blowout (NES):

This game's not bad, but if you're the type who gets motion sickness, the screen scrolling is a problem with how jittery it is. A hack that fixes it to be smoother would work wonders.

Battletoads (NES):

Removal of friendly fire, for the love of god. I can't believe there isn't a hack for this already out there. Also, if one player dies the other should be able to continue. Porting over the improvements from the Genesis version would be nice too.

Fester's Quest (NES):

There's already an excellent hack that makes bullets go through walls and rebalances hot dogs so that you need to spend more money, but more work needs to be done still:

-Autofire, so you don't have to use turbo buttons. It shouldn't be as fast as with turbo, as that makes enemies and bosses a bit too easy.
-Increase Fester's movement speed.
-Increase damage done to enemies so they're not total bullet sponges. The PAL version already does this, so it could be ported over.
-Don't remove items that downgrade your weapons, as that's part of the challenge.
-Continuing should not put you at the beginning of the game. Make it so every time you beat a boss, that's a checkpoint.

Ducktales 1&2 (NES):

No continues? No passwords? Come on, Capcom, you're better than this. Adding continues to make it more like Mega Man, as well as an SRAM system, would fix this.

Castlevania (NES):

The original game had a save feature, so bring in an SRAM hack that uses the FDS version's screen and music. Alternatively, add an English patch for the FDS version that changes the title screen and save screen to be english.

Gargoyle's Quest II (NES):

The Game Boy version had more levels, and levels taken from the NES version were extended. But the zoomed-in screen and inferior graphics ruin this somewhat. Those extended areas should be added to the NES version so we get the best of both worlds.

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PSX)

Extensive changes.

-NEW VOICE ACTING. Keep the original script, but redub all the dialogue. I'm not even sure how this would work, but it would be groundbreaking in the world of romhacks, something I haven't seen since Ace Attorney Investigations 2.
-Translate "Nocturne" into English.
-Bring in the Saturn version's extra areas, music, enemies, bosses and items. No, I don't care if they clash with the design. More content is more content.
-Alter Richter and Dracula's prologue portraits to match their Rondo designs, and change Richter's sprites to the Saturn version's for the rest of the game.
-Make Maria playable. Whether it should be like the Saturn or PSP versions, I haven't decided yet...
-Implement text changes from the European release and fixes from Japanese v1.2. Change the prologue intro to "Rondo of Blood" instead of "Bloodlines".
-Implement unused items, familiars, and voice clips. Replace the original interviews with the Japanese cast with the newer English cast that would be here.
-Create a new ending based on the unused audio found on the disc. Obviously this one is REALLY stretching it. Also, use "Mournful Serenade" from the PSP version for every ending except the best one, where it plays "I Am The Wind".
-Change the title screen to "Castlevania X: Symphony of the Night" to be more in line with the Japanese version.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 07:44:52 pm by BlazeHeatnix »

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #5081 on: August 11, 2018, 07:28:02 pm »
Bugs Bunny's Birthday Blowout (NES):

This game's not bad, it's one of those short, easy but solid platformers for the system, but if you're the type who gets motion sickness, the screen scrolling is a problem with how jittery it is. A hack that fixes it to be smoother would work wonders.

That's true. Also the fact that for some reason you can't attack while you're flickering briefly. I wish that was fixed too.

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #5082 on: August 12, 2018, 11:43:29 am »
Those exist, actually...

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2473/
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2474/

But as long as we're on that topic, there's a slight bug in these autoboot hacks.  if you soft-reset (A/B/Select/Start), it boots you out into the Konami GB Collection title screen.

Not those.

Castleania - The Adventure, Castlevania II - Belmont's Revenge, and Castlevania Legends.

Animation Guru

• View Profile
« Reply #5083 on: August 12, 2018, 01:51:40 pm »
Am I missing something?  Are those not the very same games (minus Legends) that were colorized in the Konami collections?  Maybe they're a little ugly.  I can certainly understand that.

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #5084 on: August 12, 2018, 02:24:08 pm »
You're right.

However, it's true that Legends is the only one of the three that hasn't been colorized.

Fire-WSP

• View Profile
« Reply #5085 on: August 13, 2018, 08:27:23 pm »
I just want to drop a idea here.
This maybe concerns european players more but still.
I am talking about both Asterix and Obelix Games on the SNES.
Both are great games. They reflect the comics and also the movies very well.
Just one aspect sucks and that is the Music. This is a huge problem in all Asterix on all systems.
They all do not use the Original Soundtrack of the movies and the music in the games is million miles away from the original.
Maybe they did not had the rights for this back then but this Music is iconic
as the comic itself and should be in the game.
I just found the Asterix Movie Soundtrack on youtube. It covers several Asterix movies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-WnxUtr7J8&index=9&list=PLzhk329J-YhKkkH3q_31d_gfdctZ1D8yf
Its awesome. This brought me to the idea for a MSU Hack for both games to replace the music with the official OST.
That would give the game the last tip they need to be almost perfect.

darthvaderx

• View Profile
« Reply #5086 on: August 15, 2018, 06:53:10 am »
If there are "Batman the Videogame" and "Return of the Joker" black versions for NES,so why would not there be a Batman Returns too?

Change all these hex values (but all of them, Catwoman affected too):

0F 11 01      to     0F 00 2D 

0F 36 15      to     0F 37 15

And...

in the future I'll edit the enemies for darker colors and if possible the Batmobile's cutscene.

Bonus:

16 27 18     to     16 27 01 

August 15, 2018, 06:35:48 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 07:45:21 am by darthvaderx »

Animation Guru

• View Profile
« Reply #5087 on: August 15, 2018, 09:43:52 am »
Okay, I have no problems if people want to recolor Batman to gray or black or whatever that's supposed to be.  However, as a graphic artist, I have to throw in my two cents here.  I think the "black version" color mods for the Batman games are kinda missing the point.  The blue or purple color choices are more an abstraction.  they're not meant to be taken literally.  They're stylistic flourishes to make the character stand out.

BlazeHeatnix

• View Profile
« Reply #5088 on: August 15, 2018, 02:56:06 pm »
Okay, I have no problems if people want to recolor Batman to gray or black or whatever that's supposed to be.  However, as a graphic artist, I have to throw in my two cents here.  I think the "black version" color mods for the Batman games are kinda missing the point.  The blue or purple color choices are more an abstraction.  they're not meant to be taken literally.  They're stylistic flourishes to make the character stand out.

Agreed...Batman on NES is purple because without such a contrasting color, he blends into the background. Not to mention he shares his palette with the powerups, which obviously need to stand out as well.

darthvaderx

• View Profile
« Reply #5089 on: August 15, 2018, 04:10:25 pm »

Yes I know this, even more in the time of the composite video/RF cables and the crt tvs where it was necessary a lot of contrasting colors to differentiate the sprites from the dark backgrounds.But in this case it was only a curiosity to see Batman in a really really dark atmosphere. Also worth remembering is that the Sega Genesis Batman is totally dark gray barely standing out from the background.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 10:50:13 pm by darthvaderx »

Aceearly1993

• View Profile
    • 1993P Doubleguy at Youtube
« Reply #5090 on: August 18, 2018, 08:14:21 pm »
Castlevania The Lecarde Chronicles 2 hack
(1) Involving playable Alucard in the main adventure. Alucard should not be limited to just in the Boss Rush mode, he deserves a full travel even he's so limited under the new mechanics of the fan made game.
(2) Revamp Efrain's sprite style to like the one in the first game. The new Efrain sprite seem to be too dark compared to the eerie atmosphere mig wants to demonstrate in the game. And sword-based weapon hitbox is less reliable than even the default whip in the first game.

Rosenkreuzstilette/RKS Freudenstachel 
(1) Restore weapon tank function if there's any leftovers of such pointer in the game data
(2) Add more early stage variants from RKSF C75/C76 Trial versions (especially Zorne and Grolla)
(3) Restore playable Freudia pointer in the original RKS
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 08:33:35 pm by Aceearly1993 »
"Did you know when one's most desperation time is? It's when he was beaten up by someone critically...
And he can't find who caused this."

dacorrales21

• View Profile
« Reply #5091 on: August 18, 2018, 09:52:00 pm »
So i had an idea for a Super Mario Bros 2 hack,i don't know how to make,so if someone else could make it i would be really happy,the idea is that the overworld theme is replaced with the version of the smb1 overworld that plays in the subspace

Shade Aurion

• Shadow Keeper
    • View Profile
    • DudeGoBack
« Reply #5092 on: August 19, 2018, 01:41:13 am »
Many people remember Battletoads in Battlemaniacs for it's near impossible bike level which prevented the vast majority of players from progressing further then a few levels in. So what I propose is a hack to either skip that particular stage in it's entirety or at least make said level much easier.

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #5093 on: August 19, 2018, 11:37:17 pm »
I would love to see all the Starfy games, including the fourth one (which is the first DS one, which is also the one that precedes the localized entry called The Legendary Starfy)  translated, as well as Kessakusen! Ganbare Goemon 1 & 2 (which are remakes of the first two Ganbare Goemon SNES games).

I know what you'll say, somebody is attempting at translating the first Starfy GBA game, but not much has been known after that.

Also, the latter, which is the Ganbare Goemon GBA compilation is tricky, because afaik, nobody has tried translating the Japan-only sequels to Mystical Ninja, which are Ganbare Goemon 2: Kiteretsu Shōgun Magginesu, and Ganbare Goemon 3: Shishijūrokubē no Karakuri Manji Gatame.

Dreamwhale

• View Profile
« Reply #5094 on: August 20, 2018, 08:14:32 am »
Hi everybody!  :)

How about a Sonic games, that has not been hacked yet (to my knowledge), but certainly would benefit from some tweaking:

Sonic Blast (Game Gear, Master System)

It's actually quite a fun game - at least for the first half. Later levels suffer from a bunch of issues. While mostly identical, both versions have their own strenghts and weaknesses: On the Game Gear it looks a bit nicer (more colors) and runs more smoothly. The Master System mostly benefits from the additional screen real estate, resulting in stages that are more easier to navigate. But it has not always been properly adjusted for the system (most noticeable during some boss fights).

Here are my suggestions:

Red Volcano Act 2:
  • remove some of the cheaply placed flying flame orb enemies (the first 3 you encounter, one of them right above a "trampoline")
Blue Marine zones:
  • in general (also for other stages, of course): make underwater movement a bit faster (maybe by 10%, just a guess) – naturally it should not be as fast as normal movement, though
  • Act 1: some of the invisible currents should be removed, especially during the beginning. Some currents should be kept, though, like the ones that act as transitions to a new area (maybe just as one time events?) and the ones guarding the bonus stage ring (which requires to find a switch to make the water level drop)
  • Act 1: remove some enemies, especially the ones that you don't see coming – respawning is a pain here
  • Act 2: again some currents should be disabled. Also there are again some cheaply placed crabs and octopi, which should be removed
Silver Castle zones:
  • less enemies, maybe reduced by 30% or more. respawning makes these very annoying, due to the mazelike design of these stages and some are hard to see in time
  • remove spike walls, since these do not work very well and they only appear briefly (especially on Master System they are very poorly implemented) – alternatively one could try to change the behavior of these sections, like the timing of the walls appearing and the player sprite's position, so the player can react properly
Bosses on Master System:
  • The bosses on the Master System still behave like thy did on Game Gear, which makes most of them seem glitchy and broken with the added screen estate. One solution could be to change the screen borders and limit Sonic's/Knuckles' movement to the original Game Gear screen ratio (like it's already done for final two bosses). This applies to the second  (Yellow Desert), third (Red Volcano) and fourth (Blue Marine) boss. The first boss plays fine, no need to change that one

In case someone decides to hack these games, I'd gladly go into more detail and I'd also playtest.

mikael43

• View Profile
« Reply #5095 on: August 20, 2018, 01:00:54 pm »
Hello ,
it will be really cool to recolorize the stages of street fighter 2 super nintendo turbo by the colors of the courses of the world warrior, can be renamed the leaders by the names of the Japanese versions
I had already made a request but nobody has to pay attention it's a pity we could have street fighter 2 original super nintendo, rom hacker world warrior champion edition is not successful.
thank you all.  :beer:

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #5096 on: August 22, 2018, 02:04:27 pm »
I would honestly wanna see a playable Tails and/or Knuckles in the Sonic 3D Blast Genesis game.

cartridge_rom

• View Profile
« Reply #5097 on: August 23, 2018, 06:25:20 am »
Contra Advance hack : Probotector Advance

change humans by robots sprites art of the Super Probotector of Europe in SuperNes, call it Probotector Advance hack :laugh:

Dreamwhale

• View Profile
« Reply #5098 on: August 23, 2018, 06:38:37 am »
I would honestly wanna see a playable Tails and/or Knuckles in the Sonic 3D Blast Genesis game.

Great idea!

However, I'd imagine that this would be a lot of work, since every animation frame has to be drawn from multiple angles. According to this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YV9x1KY_XWI by one of the games' creators, Jon Burton , you need to have 9 angles per animation frame (some of which can be mirrored, resulting in a total of 16 angles). In this example a walking cycle consists of 108 individual frames (edit: if you count all different angles). Models of Knuckles and Tails do exist in this game, but each has only a couple of animation frames. So the rest of the frames would have to be drawn by hand or modeled and animated in 3d before converting them to 2d.

If you also wanted to add individual moves, like Tails' flying or Knuckles' punching and gliding that would also result in even more frames of animation and a good amount of additional programming/modding.

Now, I 'm not saying that it cannot be done (I'm in no way an expert on this), because there are some incredible hacks/mods out there! But it probably won't be easy.

But this got me thinking. How about:

Sonic Colors - 3D Blast (DX)
  ;)

It would be different palette swaps for Sonic, similarly to how Super Sonic is done in the Director's Cut: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFbki9Y-r_4

The following palettes would be cool: red (Knuckles palette), orange (Tails palette), green (Vector the Crocodile palette), black (Shadow palette), white/silver (Silver palette), purple (Espio the Chameleon palette), pink (Amy Rose palette)

The next step could be, if possible, refining some of these to make them actually look like other Hedgehog characters:
  • Shadow: black, with some added white (chest) and red highlights (skin/fur), a bit of yellow around the ankles and wrists and white shoes with some red
  • Metal Sonic: change eyes to black and red, skin tones and legs to metallic grey, and some yellow here and there
  • Silver ...
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 12:24:41 pm by Dreamwhale »

RealGaea

• View Profile
« Reply #5099 on: August 23, 2018, 02:37:43 pm »
Contra Advance hack : Probotector Advance

change humans by robots sprites art of the Super Probotector of Europe in SuperNes, call it Probotector Advance hack :laugh:

I had also this in mind, redoing a logo from scratch. "Probotector Advance: Alien Rebels EX" would be more accurate to the localization.

Watching "High Score Girl" showed SFII' Champion Edition for the PC-Engine/Turbografx.

That game has an English Patch, but needs to be Localized. Yes, I prefer calling Dictator M.Bison, SCD.