News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2165505 times)

Vanya

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #500 on: January 09, 2013, 10:06:14 am »
I'm all for making MANY of the weapons in the MM series better. However, the whole flying off in a random direction thing isn't really better. I'd say just make it like the tops that Topman himself uses. Make a top and have it fly off in the direction of the nearest enemy.

EDIT: Topman's powers make a hell of a lot more sense in the fan game "Day in the Limelight 2". A wall made of stackable tops that have to be destroyed to even get a shot in on Topman makes him a MUCH more interesting boss.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 09:48:30 am by Vanya »

Zoinkity

• View Profile
« Reply #501 on: January 09, 2013, 08:00:36 pm »
Make all MM weapons work like the boss weapons ;*)

If ever there would be an awesome, abusable power it would be ridable tops.

gadesx

• View Profile
    • Gadesx scene
« Reply #502 on: January 10, 2013, 01:07:18 pm »
Make all MM weapons work like the boss weapons ;*)

If ever there would be an awesome, abusable power it would be ridable tops.
yeah, all the weapons used by any enemy always are better that the weapon you get

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: January 10, 2013, 04:59:37 pm »
I've an idea-- How about a better Top Spin (from Mega Man 3)?

The Top Spin is one of the worst weapons ever and someone can make it better.

My idea is a hack for Top Spin to be changed to the following:

Mega Man shoots a Top, and it pauses for a moment where it is, then flies off the screen in a random direction. Since when you spin a top in real life, you don't know where it's going to go...

Here's a mock up/diagram of what should happen:
Spoiler:
I have seen WAY worse weapons Ice Slasher, Spark Shock...
Top Spin, however, is nowhere bad. It has two things that makes it acceptable:
1) Can ONE SHOT the last boss
2) Automatically moves you back a bit after hitting something so you don't get hurt. So if you get hurt it is YOUR fault.

Trust me, someone who has beaten Megaman 3 in both NES and J2ME device.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #504 on: January 11, 2013, 07:51:12 am »
My problem with Top Spin's existing form is that it doesn't really work like anything Topman himself does. I pretty much have the same problem with all of Megaman's weapons that deviate from the one used by the robot master it came from. This includes both Ice Slasher and Spark Shock.

johnny

• View Profile
« Reply #505 on: January 11, 2013, 12:30:32 pm »
There's tons of rom hacks including mine, that do exactly that. About select button. only able to go in 1 direction though, not both unfortanetely.

But there is 1 or 2 hacks out there that attempted to program Left AND right...but it's very very un-comfortable and in-convientient. Something like holding the select button, then press left/right D-pad to scroll through weapons.

I just think that sucks because it interupts gameplay....because you gotta come to a dead stop just to do it...it's just not worth the time.

Its funny you mention the select button. In most games, it has the useless function of being a second pause button. I had an idea for Zelda 1 (which likely nobody would bother doing) of utilizing the select button. Normally as everyone knows A is Sword and B is Use Item. We would add Jump into the mix. So basically it would be Start = Pause/Item Screen, Select = Use Item, B = Sword, A = Jump. Its doubtful anyone would undertake this though. Because this would mean you would then have to arrange the level design in order to use the Jump Feature such as Jumping up on Tiered Platforms in Dungeons and Map Screens.

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: January 12, 2013, 03:16:03 pm »
Here's a damn simple Zelda Link's Awakening hack idea that we MUST see done: a "Save Menu" hack that would make it so we can access the "Save & Quit" by pressing Star and Select together rather than all four buttons at once.

Nec5

• It was fun until humorlessness won out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: January 13, 2013, 02:15:08 am »
Fix Ogre Battle for the N64 on a variety of fronts:

1. Make alignment a visible and more easily modifiable value, so you actually have a chance in hell of liberating cities consistently without using the infinite item cheat.
2.  Add a save feature rather than that temp feature.  Granted, emulation should already solve this but...
3.  Make the Vampire class somewhat useful.  Really, he's useless as is.
4.  Shorten the time required to gain the birthday items.  Wasting hours walking around the map to gain very useful but not game breaking items is pretty lame.
5.  Truly randomize the item drops as they were in the SNES game.  This adds replayability.  Yes, it should be possible to get certain items early or not at all rather than wait til a certain point in the story when you no longer care.
6.  Somehow balance some of the day/night alignment affects.  I had an entire group of melee fighters doing peanut damage despite their high levels and items simply because of arcane factors like time of day.  Far too much of an issue.
7.  Modify the zombification of dead characters so it is not automatic.  Losing a character permanently is rarely (ever) a good idea.

Yeah, that's a lot.  It's just one of those games with loads of potential hampered by a thousand minor annoyances.  Since this is a wishlist, add some different music that doesn't reuse the themes from the SNES game. 
When Reason Fails

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #508 on: January 13, 2013, 07:17:04 am »
Interested in doing small, one-afternoon graphics updates for nes games as art practice. Looking for games with an absurdly LOW amount of graphics data. Suggestions?

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: January 13, 2013, 09:00:50 am »
Interested in doing small, one-afternoon graphics updates for nes games as art practice. Looking for games with an absurdly LOW amount of graphics data. Suggestions?
Jyuuoki is, I think.

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #510 on: January 13, 2013, 10:52:42 am »
Haha, I was thinking more like Loderunner and Donkey Kong simple.

ChronoMoogle

• Super Famicom all the way.
    • View Profile
    • SNESfreaks
« Reply #511 on: January 13, 2013, 12:07:36 pm »

johnny

• View Profile
« Reply #512 on: January 15, 2013, 10:42:18 pm »

How about Snail Maze: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rb9pyRdaH0

Theres Fantasy Zone: The Maze also: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnDuJUeHU_0

Congo Bongo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lF42VSogQc

Ghostbusters: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7AtnbGxmFA

Check out more of the Sega Master System Repertoire. Mostly because people do NES games and refuse to touch on anything Sega. It would be different and unique.

TRIFORCE89

• View Profile
« Reply #513 on: January 16, 2013, 10:42:34 am »
"Winky's Walkway" was among the shortest level in the original Donkey Kong Country on the SNES. So much so that when the GBC version came out, they significantly extended the level. Would anyone be able to replace the SNES version with the GBC's layout?

EDIT: Or maybe add "Necky Nutmare" which was GBC-exclusive level from the Chimp Caverns world
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 11:06:01 am by TRIFORCE89 »

Zoinkity

• View Profile
« Reply #514 on: January 16, 2013, 11:49:54 am »
Fix Ogre Battle for the N64 on a variety of fronts:

Alignment is broken in many ways.  Also, alignment-changing items really need to do whole steps up/down.

I'd also add 'give people a reason to use legions that isn't stupid' to the list, or kick witches up to second tier support, or let golems wear helmets on account of the only thing on them is a cross helm and a pelt, or fix half the classes that are just completely useless after the first 5 stages (berzerker for instance). 
Also, lycanthopy cycles.  Vamps get a six hour window, but werewolves only three.  That includes the little messenger guys when their lycanthropy is fixed. 

Honestly, the game just needs a good swift kick to the head.

Actually I've been messing with this on-and-off.  Just finally cracked all the compression formats on it, but documenting its 20000+ files is taking a bit of time ;*)   That's just counting the filelist divisions too; some of those are archives or lzh multifiles.  Oh, and haven't written a compressor for the huffman type yet.
Stats though are uncompressed, along with some other basic data.  There's some old Nightmare modules lying around to edit some of it.  I could always write something up in python too.

The reason for the temp save though has to do with save data sizes and how in-field saves will load based off one of the other saves.  There isn't enough space in the flash for three full saves + in-field data.  Even accounting for inefficiency it would be quite a feat just to stuff everything in there.

supershadow64ds

• Dazed but not confused!
    • View Profile
    • Checks out mah DA, mamajamas! >:U
« Reply #515 on: January 16, 2013, 11:24:44 pm »
I have seen WAY worse weapons Ice Slasher, Spark Shock...
Top Spin, however, is nowhere bad. It has two things that makes it acceptable:
1) Can ONE SHOT the last boss
2) Automatically moves you back a bit after hitting something so you don't get hurt. So if you get hurt it is YOUR fault.

Trust me, someone who has beaten Megaman 3 in both NES and J2ME device.
Are you kidding? Top Spin is one of the worst weapons ever. It's completely impractical, it doesn't have a set energy use, and if it one shots the final boss, then it's broken in the sense of being over powered.

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: January 17, 2013, 11:29:07 am »
Are you kidding? Top Spin is one of the worst weapons ever. It's completely impractical, it doesn't have a set energy use, and if it one shots the final boss, then it's broken in the sense of being over powered.
Dude, did you play Megaman 3 in the year it was released, on an actual NES? I'm going to assume you didn't. It causes a huge damage per hit, pulls you back for your safety, can "One Shot" the last boss because it is one of the weapons one wouldn't think of using against him nor is the easiest to use. It's a BAD weapon for uses out of Shadowman Boss and Gamma Phase 2. But for those, it does the job. Wanna see it WORSE? Go play MM8BDM and use it.

supershadow64ds

• Dazed but not confused!
    • View Profile
    • Checks out mah DA, mamajamas! >:U
« Reply #517 on: January 17, 2013, 09:30:45 pm »
Dude, did you play Megaman 3 in the year it was released, on an actual NES? I'm going to assume you didn't. It causes a huge damage per hit, pulls you back for your safety, can "One Shot" the last boss because it is one of the weapons one wouldn't think of using against him nor is the easiest to use. It's a BAD weapon for uses out of Shadowman Boss and Gamma Phase 2. But for those, it does the job. Wanna see it WORSE? Go play MM8BDM and use it.
It does NOT pull you back for safety, I have died numerous times from getting hit either by another enemy or by falling into a pit after using Top Spin.

ChronoMoogle

• Super Famicom all the way.
    • View Profile
    • SNESfreaks
« Reply #518 on: January 18, 2013, 06:09:14 pm »
If somebody wants a real challenge, tackle a translation of this game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHLVDSLlzCs
I would say it's almost impossible. But it looks like a really cool puzzler.
Thoughts?

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: January 18, 2013, 08:26:23 pm »
That is one of the strangest games I have seen but it looks incredibly interesting.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'