News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 923096 times)

julayla

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #4720 on: March 01, 2018, 05:39:02 pm »
I'll be honest about some of the translations I find for Sailor Moon R's Beat Em Up and Another Story. They are all right, but to me, well, the translation's not as good as I thought it was gonna be. I can write a revised (for modern times) version for both Viz/Crystal and Dic/Cloverway fans if I had the chance (that way, fans of both versions can enjoy the games like they did with Super S's puzzle game), but the sad truth is: I can't just simply use hex editor and actually insert the dialogue in without some assistance. And honestly, if someone were to assist with how I'd revise certain words (and keep some of the meaning within dialogues), I'd be pretty grateful.

On a different matter, I wouldn't mind someone doing a Marvelous MSU-1 hack of the game. I mean yes, there's not much to the soundtrack, but it'd be pretty cool to have CD quality sound there.

ultimateman

• View Profile
« Reply #4721 on: March 03, 2018, 07:23:17 pm »
Hack ideas for Eternal Champions, head-to-head fighter on the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive:

1) Remove the "Inner Strength" limitation. The game had a power meter (in the shape of a yin-yang) next to the health bars. Some of this power was needed to execute special moves. This was meant to help balance the gameplay, but it was a bummer to pull of a special move only to realize you didn't have enough power. I'd love to see this power meter removed, or better yet, optional.

2) Alternate colors selectable via button choice Each character has 2 color pallets, but the only way to use the 2nd is in vs. mode as player 2 against the same character. Making it possible to select the alternate color via button choice, i.e. punch = color 1, kick = color 2, would be a nice touch.

3) Enhanced colors: This was a game that suffered from the Genesis' limited color pallet. I'd love to see an "enhanced colors" version of this game released. One simple thing would be to change the blood color from the silly looking pink to a deep red. Pyron, I believe this is your cue!

4) New hidden playable characters - I'd love to see someone make the different versions of the Eternal Champion into different, hidden playable characters, if even in vs. mode only.

5) Reasonably common overkills(fatalities) Eternal Champions had some cool stage fatalities, one for each stage in fact. However, the positioning for the final blow necessary to trigger the overkills was absurdly precise. You could play this game everyday for a month solid and maybe only see one or two of these things happen. It'd be awesome if someone could make these overkills more reasonable to trigger, such that a skilled player could make it happen, as opposed to it basically boiling down to pure luck.

6) True combos ala SF2 - This is a tough one. Eternal Champions unfortunately never had true combos the way SF2 did. Moves couldn't be linked such that a player couldn't block once the first move connected (no hit stun). Also, normal moves cannot be cancelled into special moves. If someone could change these two things so that this game had a true combo system, oh man, would this be a boatload of fun.

BTW there is a Sega CD sequel to this game, ET: Challenge from the Dark Side. I mention it because perhaps there are resources from the Sega CD version that could be used in the hacks of the Genesis/Mega Drive version, but of course I wouldn't know for sure.

Thanks for listening!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 06:50:10 pm by ultimateman »

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #4722 on: March 03, 2018, 08:36:27 pm »
Golden Axe: The Revenge of Death Adder (Arcade) improvement hack ideas:

-Make it possible to throw enemies into each other
-More pits to throw enemies in
-More consistent vertical/z-plane scrolling parts: the dragon flight to the castle could involve dodging/shooting/fighting enemies and you could get attacked during the elevator ride
-Enemies petrified by Gilius's magic don't auto-break so you can either break them yourself or throw them at enemies
-Add a bit more horizontal length to jumps or add momentum to running jumps
-Somewhat shorter hit stun for bosses and harder Death Adder
-Some more enemy and boss variety; could use some GA2-3 MD enemies or redone GA1 enemies
-Fix the issue where increased number of lives per credit doesn't carry over to the next credit in-game (goes back to 3)
-Add ability to jump sideways
-Added lower and stronger level spells for each char that lack either one
-GA2 MD-style casting system
-Fix the loose scrolling when running
-Add the dragon mount from GA1
-Replace some of the blander music with remixed tracks from the MD trilogy
-Touch up the frames where Ax Battler's sword looks smaller (when he walks without being in a fighting stance)

:beer:
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

RealGaea

• View Profile
« Reply #4723 on: March 06, 2018, 01:26:48 pm »
Checking the Home versions of Mortal Kombat Trilogy, they stink of inconsistency with BGMs. I want to fix that.

Let's start checking the Nintendo 64 port, since only has the UMK3 BGMs.

Current N64 BGMs

The Courtyard: The Bank
The Pit I: The Rooftop
The Pit Bottom: The Rooftop
Goro's Lair: Noob's Dorfen

The Dead Pool: Noob's Dorfen
Kombat Tomb: The Street
The Wasteland: The Bank
The Tower: Soul Chamber
The Living Forest: Soul Chamber
The Armory: The Graveyard
The Pit II/Star Bridge: The Subway
The Portal: The Balcony
Kahn's Arena: -NOT PRESENT-

The Subway: The Subway
The Street: The Street
The Bank: -NOT PRESENT-
The Rooftop: The Bridge
The Balcony: The Pit III
The Bridge: The Bridge
Soul Chamber: Soul Chamber
The Bell Tower: The Rooftop
The Temple: The Temple
The Graveyard: The Graveyard
The Pit III: The Pit III
Lost Portal: Noob's Dorfen
Noob's Dorfen: -NOT PRESENT-

Scorpion's Lair: The Subway
Kahn's Kave: The Pit III
Jade's Desert: The Bank
The Waterfront: Soul Chamber
Blue Portal: The Rooftop

Proposed/Fixed N64 BGMs

The Courtyard: The Street (since it's a mix of the original theme)
The Pit I: The Rooftop
The Pit Bottom: Soul Chamber
Goro's Lair: Noob's Dorfen

The Dead Pool: The Bank
Kombat Tomb: The Balcony
The Wasteland: The Street (since it's a mix of the original theme)
The Tower: The Rooftop
The Living Forest: Soul Chamber
The Armory: The Temple
The Pit II/Star Bridge: The Street (since it's a mix of the original theme)
The Portal: Noob's Dorfen
Kahn's Arena: -NOT PRESENT-

The Subway: The Subway
The Street: The Street
The Bank: -NOT PRESENT-
The Rooftop: The Rooftop
The Balcony: The Pit III
The Bridge: The Bridge
Soul Chamber: Soul Chamber
The Bell Tower: The Rooftop
The Temple: The Temple
The Graveyard: The Graveyard
The Pit III: The Pit III
Lost Portal: Noob's Dorfen
Noob's Dorfen: -NOT PRESENT-

Scorpion's Lair: The Pit III (Arcade) or The Temple (Personal choice)
Kahn's Kave: The Bank (Arcade, kinda boring) /The Bridge (like the MD/Genesis ver.)
Jade's Desert: The Rooftop (Arcade, kinda meh)/The Street (like the SNES ver.)
The Waterfront: The Subway (This fits with the Arcade)
Blue Portal: Noob's Dorfen (want every portal theme to share the same tune)

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #4724 on: March 06, 2018, 02:31:37 pm »
It's always curious to me as to why nobody ever thought about hacking the first 2 Sailor Moon games and have the Outers be playables (replacing the Inner Senshi with Outers)

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #4725 on: March 06, 2018, 04:38:33 pm »
It's always curious to me as to why nobody ever thought about hacking the first 2 Sailor Moon games and have the Outers be playables (replacing the Inner Senshi with Outers)

Probably a looooooooooot of graphics editing and sound editing.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4726 on: March 07, 2018, 06:32:12 am »
Checking the Home versions of Mortal Kombat Trilogy, they stink of inconsistency with BGMs. I want to fix that.

Another thing this game needs is someone needs to increase the memory space of the ROM to 64MB, this way someone can add all the missing PSX & Saturn content back to the game.

I still want to see a hack for the 3DS port of OutRun that will restore the original Ferrari Testarossa car back to the game, it's not the same without it.

Ar8temis008

• View Profile
« Reply #4727 on: March 07, 2018, 01:05:53 pm »
It surprises me that in 10+ years of Sonic rom hacking, nobody's just added a simple save feature to Sonic 1 or 2 individually. Sonic 2 especially needs it.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4728 on: March 07, 2018, 01:57:15 pm »
They have level-select codes though. Isn't that about as good?
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Ar8temis008

• View Profile
« Reply #4729 on: March 07, 2018, 02:20:25 pm »
They have level-select codes though. Isn't that about as good?

I shouldn't have to cheat to resume progress, sram should have been a feature from the get go. Even a password system would have worked fine, but having no system at all (especially at a time when SRAM had already become a standard that most longer games like this followed) is baffling to me.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #4730 on: March 07, 2018, 02:46:30 pm »
Sonic 2 Delta has a save function, and Sonic Classic Heroes did too IIRC.

Classic Heroes can actually be played like normal Sonic by fiddling with the options, basically making it Sonic 1+2 with possibly better interaction between you and Tails.

Ar8temis008

• View Profile
« Reply #4731 on: March 07, 2018, 02:52:45 pm »
Sonic 2 Delta has a save function, and Sonic Classic Heroes did too IIRC.

Classic Heroes can actually be played like normal Sonic by fiddling with the options, basically making it Sonic 1+2 with possibly better interaction between you and Tails.

I didn't even think to fiddle with classic heroes, I'll have to try that. I also completely forgot that Delta had sram.

it's times like this I wish I could go back in time and slap myself across the face for being a moron.

Between Delta and Classic Heroes, which is the better hack in your opinion?

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #4732 on: March 07, 2018, 02:58:39 pm »
I shouldn't have to cheat to resume progress, sram should have been a feature from the get go.

SRAM is another chip, and chips cost money. Putting a save in Sonic 1 is pointless, since there's nothing worth saving except the one byte that tells you what level it is. Therefore, a level select makes perfect sense.

And how is a level select cheating? You reached a particular level legitimately, why the hell not just restart from there by any means necessary? When I'm playing on real hardware, I adore the fact that most games have level select codes, since I'm no long ten years old with endless free time. :D I can't see how typing in a four digit password is somehow not cheating, while typing in a button combination to achieve exactly the same effect somehow is. Same goes for save states: if I have stuff to do, I'll save and come back later.

Adding SRAM seems simple when you look at things in 2018, but not in 1991. Unless you're using floppy disks, a hard disk or internal SRAM, saving your game was a luxury reserved for games that need it. The vast majority of games just need a level select. Hell, Super Mario Bros has a level select, though you have to play the game to access it. :)

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #4733 on: March 07, 2018, 03:25:51 pm »
I didn't even think to fiddle with classic heroes, I'll have to try that. I also completely forgot that Delta had sram.

it's times like this I wish I could go back in time and slap myself across the face for being a moron.

No problem!  They're both pretty good and are worth a playthrough.

Delta isn't quite the same, outside of SRAM it's more of a restoration in that it puts in prototype elementsand deleted levels from betas (including level layouts and Green Hill Zone).  It's a fairly facinating thing to play either way.

Classic Heroes is basically what it says on the tin: it's Sonic 1 and 2 put together with team mechanics inspired by Sonic Heroes.  What you get to choose from is the characters from Teams Sonic and Chaotix (Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Vector, Charmy, and Espio).  You can choose to use 1-3 characters, can change to another at any time, and outside elemental shields the levels are otherwise unchanged from the entirety of both games.  Other teams are planned (this is the end of stuff taken straight from Heroes though), but I don't know what the status is on that.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #4734 on: March 07, 2018, 03:56:39 pm »

Sonic Classic Heroes.
Hands down.

Why?
Well you have a ton of features and customizable stuff in it.
For example, you can choose to either play only Sonic 1, Sonic 2 or both games combined in one playthrough... WITH SRAM saving.

Second, you get to choose which characters to play as. You can choose between Team Sonic, or a playthrough with Team Chaotix. I believe you can even choose if you want Sonic alone, or with Tails, or all 3 (Sonic, Tails & Knuckles). You can swap between any of the 3 characters from a particular team at any given time during a playthrough.

You get Super and Hyper transformations (depending on whether you choose to play both Sonic 1&2 together).
And a ton more. Bugfixes from both Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 are implemented as well.

I even replaced my Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 ROMs in my SD to Sonic Classic Heroes.
It's that good.

Thanatos-Zero

• NES Graphic Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4735 on: March 07, 2018, 05:05:25 pm »
Just like Lufia 2 did it, (And no, I do not mean the roguelike ancient cave)
I would love to see hacks of RPGs, which include a new game + bonus of granting the player 4 times the gain of experience and money.
Well, and if it is not a ease thing to do, I would still be satisfied, if just the base game itself had the bonus simulated.

8.bit.fan

• View Profile
    • 8-bit fan's Hacking Projects
« Reply #4736 on: March 07, 2018, 07:34:35 pm »
You know what would be awesome? If someone remade FF4&5 using the FF6 engine!  :D

Meaning hacking FF6 to become an FF4/5 game. This shouldn't be too hard for a skilled hacker, right? I mean most of the music and other assets from FF4&5 are readily available, it should just be a matter of re-working the game's scenarios, script, maps, enemies, etc....then again, I've never done any hacks of this magnitude so I wouldn't know...
In the year of 200X, a super robot named Mega Man...

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4737 on: March 07, 2018, 07:46:54 pm »
Less of a romhack idea, more of a homebrew one: Demake Nier Automata's hacking minigame into NES

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #4738 on: March 08, 2018, 09:31:37 am »
Probably a looooooooooot of graphics editing and sound editing.

Yeah, I get what you mean. Still, it would've been nice for Outer fans (and maybe a playable Tuxedo Mask for Mamoru/Darien fans too).

On another subject, what I DO want to see is someone retranslating the Illusion of Gaia. I mean I respect the game, but the translation itself needs a heck of a lot of work and correcting.

Ar8temis008

• View Profile
« Reply #4739 on: March 08, 2018, 09:46:52 am »
Sonic Classic Heroes.
Hands down.

Why?
Well you have a ton of features and customizable stuff in it.
For example, you can choose to either play only Sonic 1, Sonic 2 or both games combined in one playthrough... WITH SRAM saving.

Second, you get to choose which characters to play as. You can choose between Team Sonic, or a playthrough with Team Chaotix. I believe you can even choose if you want Sonic alone, or with Tails, or all 3 (Sonic, Tails & Knuckles). You can swap between any of the 3 characters from a particular team at any given time during a playthrough.

You get Super and Hyper transformations (depending on whether you choose to play both Sonic 1&2 together).
And a ton more. Bugfixes from both Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 are implemented as well.

I even replaced my Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 ROMs in my SD to Sonic Classic Heroes.
It's that good.
That gives me a different idea.

What if somebody hacked Chaotix and removed the stupid fucking tether system and/or redesigned the levels to be less mundane. Sonic Ed 2 supports editing Chaotix level layouts as well as enemy/item placement so it'd be easy to do for someone skilled in Sonic level design.