News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 829740 times)

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #4660 on: February 12, 2018, 05:43:57 pm »
A Metal Slug NES/GBC homebrew/port using the Neo Geo Pocket version as a base.
Doesn't it already exist in the form of the bootleg Terrifying 9.11? Just revert the offensive content and there you have it?
Sir Howard Stringer, chief executive of Sony, on Christmas sales of the PS3:
"It's a little fortuitous that the Wii is running out of hardware."

Leviathan88

• View Profile
« Reply #4661 on: February 13, 2018, 12:59:05 am »
Someone should make a Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (Famicom) translation  :thumbsup:

triumph

• View Profile
« Reply #4662 on: February 13, 2018, 10:44:32 am »
Doesn't it already exist in the form of the bootleg Terrifying 9.11? Just revert the offensive content and there you have it?

I never heard of it before, sadly it has that content.

Also, I know that Super Mario All Stars NES exists, but I was thinking on a SMB+SMB2J ROM with a menu similar to SMB+Duck Hunt. Instead of the duck, a Luigi sprite walking. I've made a mockup.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #4663 on: February 13, 2018, 11:17:15 am »
I'd like to see someone add auto naming to Final Fantasy II and III for the NES/Famicom for the official character names. Also I'd like to see someone make updated sprites for FFIII that use the characters from the DS version. Sure it might be a lot considering each character has their own look for each job, and might take up a lot of space, but if Chaos Rush's translation could be compressed, their might be enough room to fit on an actual cart.

pocket

• View Profile
« Reply #4664 on: February 13, 2018, 02:44:40 pm »
This probably sounds dumb, but would it be possible through hacking to split up the Super Mario All Stars games into single games? It'd likely have to lose the save feature but the original games didn't have those to begin with.

The only reason I want this is because I've got a modded SNES Classic Edition and I'd kinda like the separate box art up there on the UI. It looks nice.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #4665 on: February 13, 2018, 03:24:23 pm »
Splitting games for consoles without a file system (basically anything that is not on CD/DVD/floppy or DS or newer) is very annoying to do, sometimes incredibly annoying.
Most people then opt to make autoboot patches and thus force a game like that to boot a given sub game. Don't know about this specific game but it is similar enough between all games and systems (find the commands that the given menu launches the selection with and inject that somewhere that is happens automatically).
I don't know that I would give it to a beginner as a hack to do as you are going to have to get your hands dirty with assembly, and narrowing things down can be tricky (don't know if the SNES has one of those log all used functions/branches thing* like some of the NES ones). Not to mention you might not be able to jump right to it at the start of the game.

*the idea being you get somewhere in the game, start the logger, do everything but the thing you want to do and then tell it to drop everything there and note the one thing you do next (which is obviously launch the thing you want in this case).

Some come the other way and remove the options from the given selection menu screens but it is similarly tricky.

If it is only a play thing it is functionally identical, if you are hacking the game sometimes people kick the other game(s) in the head to gain the space back but that is a different matter.

Might be worth having a look for such autoboot patches too. It is a popular enough franchise and game within it that someone might have already done there.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #4666 on: February 13, 2018, 04:18:13 pm »
Someone should make a Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (Famicom) translation  :thumbsup:

You are joking, aren't you?

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1032/

Ar8temis008

• View Profile
« Reply #4667 on: February 13, 2018, 04:42:33 pm »
I never heard of it before, sadly it has that content.

Also, I know that Super Mario All Stars NES exists, but I was thinking on a SMB+SMB2J ROM with a menu similar to SMB+Duck Hunt. Instead of the duck, a Luigi sprite walking. I've made a mockup.

Awhile ago I found a hack that added the OG Super Mario Bros to the Lost Levels floppy disk. Side A was OG Super Mario and side B was The Lost Levels. If you want, I can send it to you.

Leviathan88

• View Profile
« Reply #4668 on: February 13, 2018, 05:26:50 pm »

That is the NES version of the game. I'm talking about the Famicom version. It has Enhanced Audio that the american version does not contain. A real translation would be nice.

Ar8temis008

• View Profile
« Reply #4669 on: February 13, 2018, 10:50:57 pm »
That is the NES version of the game. I'm talking about the Famicom version. It has Enhanced Audio that the american version does not contain. A real translation would be nice.
"Enhanced" is a strong word, simply put most of it sounds like pure shit. Particularly the night time theme, MY EARS!

Poppler

• View Profile
« Reply #4670 on: February 14, 2018, 07:23:50 am »
With the new and excelent patch for Super Ghousl'n Ghosts that removes slowdown and censorship, I don't know if it those would be possible:

- Remove slowdown and censorship in Super Castlevania IV, but keep an option to have the original US title screen, which I think it's a lot better than the japanese one, and without that ketchup blood.

- Remove slowdown in Capcom / Disney games: Magical Quest trilogy, Aladdin, etc.

- Remove slowdown and censorship in Castlevania: Dracula X.

- Remove slowdown in Super Mario World, and add some GBA content if possible :P

- Remove slowdown in Contra III.

- Add some of the missing content and animations in Donkey Kong Country. Maybe some of the good changes of the japanese version too?

----------------------------------------- MEGADRIVE----------------------------------------------

- Make a Special Edition of Earthworm Jim 1 & 2 adding some of the best details of the Snes version: missing backgrounds, missing effects if possible, etc. Also KEEP just one level of Puppy Love in EWJ2!

- A patch for Dynamite Headdy US with the japanese difficult level.

- A patch for the Streets of Rage 3 title screen instead of Bare Knuckle 3.

- A patch for Thunderforce IV EU to remove the music slowdown if possible.

- A patch for Vampire Killer JP to have the US title screen and the changes of Eric Lecarde.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #4671 on: February 14, 2018, 10:07:09 am »

It IS a real translation. Sure, the FDS version has slightly different audio, but the NES music is very good anyway. Given the huge work that went into Bizqwit's patch (not just translation), it makes the FDS version pretty redundant. Castlevania 3, on the other hand, DOES include better audio.

EDIT: I just listened to FDS and NES back-to-back. NES wins, hands down. :laugh:
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 10:23:35 am by Psyklax »

Dialknight

• View Profile
« Reply #4672 on: February 14, 2018, 10:23:45 am »
Balloon Kid restoration of Hello Kitty World?

triumph

• View Profile
« Reply #4673 on: February 14, 2018, 10:43:04 am »
Awhile ago I found a hack that added the OG Super Mario Bros to the Lost Levels floppy disk. Side A was OG Super Mario and side B was The Lost Levels. If you want, I can send it to you.

I already have it, thanks anyway. :) I was searching more for a NES version inspired on SMB+Duck Hunt menu.

Ar8temis008

• View Profile
« Reply #4674 on: February 14, 2018, 02:24:17 pm »
With the new and excelent patch for Super Ghousl'n Ghosts that removes slowdown and censorship, I don't know if it those would be possible:

- Remove slowdown and censorship in Super Castlevania IV, but keep an option to have the original US title screen, which I think it's a lot better than the japanese one, and without that ketchup blood.

- Remove slowdown in Capcom / Disney games: Magical Quest trilogy, Aladdin, etc.

- Remove slowdown and censorship in Castlevania: Dracula X.

- Remove slowdown in Super Mario World, and add some GBA content if possible :P

- Remove slowdown in Contra III.

- Add some of the missing content and animations in Donkey Kong Country. Maybe some of the good changes of the japanese version too?

----------------------------------------- MEGADRIVE----------------------------------------------

- Make a Special Edition of Earthworm Jim 1 & 2 adding some of the best details of the Snes version: missing backgrounds, missing effects if possible, etc. Also KEEP just one level of Puppy Love in EWJ2!

- A patch for Dynamite Headdy US with the japanese difficult level.

- A patch for the Streets of Rage 3 title screen instead of Bare Knuckle 3.

- A patch for Thunderforce IV EU to remove the music slowdown if possible.

- A patch for Vampire Killer JP to have the US title screen and the changes of Eric Lecarde.
I hacked the GBA exclusive features into the SNES version of Mario, if you're interested.

NES Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #4675 on: February 14, 2018, 02:42:02 pm »
Actually, it's already on this site. And technically, it adds the Lost Levels to the SMB1 disk.

Poppler

• View Profile
« Reply #4676 on: February 14, 2018, 03:08:49 pm »
I hacked the GBA exclusive features into the SNES version of Mario, if you're interested.
Really? Where I can download the patch?

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #4678 on: February 14, 2018, 05:23:33 pm »
Speaking of slow down, maybe someone can add a "Skip Prologue" button or something to the SNES games like Super Mario World or Super Metroid. I'm not sure if anyone's done that yet.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4679 on: February 14, 2018, 06:16:00 pm »

There was certainly a lot of work put into that hack but I'm not so sure how correct translation. From what I understand of the original thread, it sounded like the hack assumed every misleading line of text in the game was due to a bad translation and turned it around into a "correct" translation, whereas many misleading lines of text in the original game were wrong on purpose. (though there were reportedly still a few legitimate errors in the official translation, such as the hint about the tornado)
I'm not saying this to be mean to the people who worked on it as it sounds like a very good ROM hack of the game, I'm just not sure if it was looking to correct "translation mistakes" which weren't.
Sir Howard Stringer, chief executive of Sony, on Christmas sales of the PS3:
"It's a little fortuitous that the Wii is running out of hardware."