News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2165565 times)

Vanya

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #420 on: August 16, 2012, 04:14:05 am »
spiffy, I was already planning most of those text changes, actually. But good call on the 100 year thing with Simon. I'll definitely have to look at that too. As for the surnames, I personally prefer to use the characters' intended names over the official US ones that are obviously mis-translations.  So it'll be Dinesti & Fernandez. Also, there are a few things that the NA version did right that I'd like to restore; the Water Dragon graphics for one. Also, some small game play tweaks like the White Dragons and White Dragon King only taking damage when hit in the head, fireball speed being faster, and a few others.

I would love to expand Alucard's game play a bit for sure. It won't be easy though, and I'm not that good at ASM hacking. But I might just give it a shot once the main patch is complete.

Harder stuff I'd like to do:
- Convert "Balls of Destruction" into the basic "Hellfire" spell and make it a sub-weapon.
- If Alucard has the "Hellfire" spell equipped he will be able to spit fireballs as a bat for free.
- Possibly add a couple more spells to Alucard's sub-weapons. Namely a simple "Soul Steal" & "Spirit Summon".
- Change Alucard's main attack to swords. There is a great sword animation in "Dragon Fighter" I could use as a base.
- Give Grant back the dinky knife from the NA release so he can have a wider selection of sub weapons.
- Give Grant the use of a single power up level so he can throw his dinky knife a'la the basic knife from CV2.
- Swap Grant's "Stop Watch" for a new sub-weapon. Maybe a 'death sickle' or something like that.
- Give Sypha a "Time Spellbook" that slows down enemies including most bosses.
- Make the Mummies and the Lesser Demon into their own single bosses & make them stronger.
-Make the Cyclops boss bigger.

And, As long as you mentioned making Alucard more like his SotN incarnation, how about giving him use of a CV2/VK style shield? I could even make it so that gaining it would be based on having the 2x Shot and 3x Shot. I might need to see about finding some unused RAM bytes, but I might be able to add some 2x/3x Shot functionality to all three partners. It would work normally for Grant, but for Sypha I could make her spells stronger. For example. If she has nothing her Lightning spell only makes one ball, 2 if she has the 2x Shot, and all 3 if she has the 3x Shot. Something like that would make her more interesting for sure.

EDIT: On a side note, I thought of an easy way to make the phantom bat boss in CV1 way harder.
Hack it to spawn a giant bat enemy each time it looses 25% of it's HP. Those things are a pain in the ass and are indistinguishable from the real deal except they don't reduce the boss health bar when hit.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 02:15:51 pm by Vanya »

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: August 17, 2012, 07:32:49 am »
Just letting people know to check out my ideas from the previous page, the list is finally done:
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,3282.msg216569.html#msg216569

Let me know what you think of my ideas.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 05:53:53 am by SCD »

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #422 on: August 21, 2012, 06:04:20 am »
Don't know if it's even possible at this point, but here's one...

Hack Castlevania the Adventure ReBirth to replace the music with remixes of the tunes from the original game instead of the nonsensical mishmosh of random crap they used.

And while we're at it, how about a title logo hack to change it to "Castlevania: Legend of Dracula ReBirth" and a new title id?

Is any of this even feasible?

dudekindjack

• View Profile
« Reply #423 on: August 26, 2012, 09:18:43 pm »
i should of posted my hack idea i would like to seen here. i didnt see this thread when i posted the other one few minutes ago.

ill post it in here too, maybe someone will have a idea of how to make this hack.

edit: this was my post i posted , but didnt see this one first

they are a smb1 hack called mario 1337  that has the background color changing different colors, according to what the last digit of the time.    it also has a weird thing that has it dragging and showing doulble stuff that drags behind you. its weird, dont know how to explain it but can show you this youtube video. it has the title screen in this video till around the 1:28 mark or so..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FudwCIpRk5k

what i would like to have is a version of this that changes the background color like this is doing, but dont do that draggy effect thing it does.    if i could figure out how to do it, i would, but i have no idea now to do that.   bout the only thing i know how to do is fix smb1 hacks like wheelchair mario to work on pretty much every emulator.  they are other hacks that did the same thing (crashed on the title screen).    found part of something that has to do with the flashing coin up top missing missing in the rom using yy-chr.   i put it back in where it was missing, boom, roms that crashed on title screen work. 

if someone could make a smb1 hack where the colors changed like in mario 1337 but didnt do that draggy thing, it would be awesome.

McKnight

• View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #424 on: August 27, 2012, 09:36:44 am »
Would someone hack just about all Pokemon games so that AI-Trainers are actually bound to the same rules you are?  In general, The Computer Is A Cheating Bastard just about everywhere, but especially in the Stadium games and the Battle Towers, Frontiers, and Subway.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheComputerIsACheatingBastard

It really sucked to learn in one of my favorite parts of the games, the Battle Towers and Frontiers, the computer manipulates the Random Number Generator in their favor as you progress, so that your attacks miss more and more frequently while theirs have more of a chance of hitting or having a secondary effect than they're supposed to.  This is the final reason I stopped playing the games, on top of a whole bunch of other reasons.  Upping the ante is one thing, but when I'm playing something like this, I damn well expect my opponents to fight honestly.

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: August 30, 2012, 11:28:40 pm »
I tried to put my list of ideas from the previous page in their own topic so people will know about them and see them, but they won't let me. So I'm re-posting them on this page.
Here's my list of ideas for hacks and patches I would like to see become a reality, it's a huge list. Let me know what you think of my ideas.

Sega Genesis:

Golden Axe:
A hack that does this:
Change the color of Gilius Thunderhead's axe to the correct gold color to make it look more like the arcade version.
Give the two skeletons in stage 8 (Death Bringer) the green tint, purple sword and purple shield color scheme they had in The Duel mode.

Golden Axe II:
A hack that changes the color of Gilius Thunderhead's axe to the correct gold color.

Streets of Rage 2:
A uncensored patch that restores all the stuff that got censored in the American Version.

Super Nintendo:

Contra III: The Alien Wars:
A hack that brings back the three cheat codes and the unlimited continues from the Japanese Version.

F-Zero:
A hack that adds Ace League from BS F-Zero 2 to this game as a fourth league.

Super Castlevania IV:
A uncensored patch that restores all the stuff that got censored in the American Version and make blood drip from the Super Castlevania IV logo as well.

Super Mario Kart:
A hack that does this:
Restores Peach's and Bowser's original celebration animations from the Japanese Version where they're drinking their champagne.
The ability to play Special Cup in 50CC.

Nintendo Entertainment System:

Super C:
A hack that brings back the 30 lives code from the Japanese Version.

Nintendo 64:

Mario Kart 64:
A hack that brings back the original billboards and the 64 ball sign from the Japanese version.

Mac and PC:

Return to Castle Wolfenstein:
A mod that adds the new content that was only exclusive on the Xbox version to the Mac and PC versions.

Game Boy Color:

Pokemon Crystal:
A uncensored patch that restores all the stuff that got censored in the American Version.

Wario Land II:
A hack that restores the beer throwing penguin from the Japanese Version.

Game Boy Advance:

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga:
A hack that does this:
Restores the lost cameo appearances of Nintendo characters that appear in the Starbeans Cafe after you make a new drink, their data is still in the game.
Here's some websites to help you:
http://themushroomkingdom.net/mlss_lost.shtml
http://spriters-resource.com/gameboy_advance/mlss/sheet/27639
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glC3zXaJjtQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUyG-vF-VMs
Bring back the block that restores your HP and BP from the Japanese Version.

Mario Kart Super Circuit:
A hack that brings back the hazards for the SNES tracks.

Metroid Zero Mission:
A hack that makes Crocomire a actual mini-boss in the game.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 07:11:12 pm by SCD »

Spikeman

• *unce unce unce*
    • View Profile
    • None at the moment, check out my Last.fm page instead?
« Reply #426 on: September 01, 2012, 06:53:31 am »
Kind of a far out there idea:

1) modify this emulator to support changing the loaded ROM with a lua function
2) make two hacks, one in the Minish Cap engine, one in the Oracle of Ages/Season engine, where you can switch between games with help of a lua script
3) call it Zelda: Oracle of Time
Open Source Hacking Projects: Guru Logic Champ, Telefang 2, (Want more? Check out my GitHub!)

Zoinkity

• View Profile
« Reply #427 on: September 01, 2012, 04:42:55 pm »
Pokémon Stadium cheats.
I hear 'ya.  My favorite is how they can periodically use attacks they don't have, or better yet can never have.  If one more magikarp smacks me with surf or hydro pump, I'll scream. 
(Don't know if that's found outside the N64 titles, but all three will do it.)

TheWhipperSnapper

• View Profile
« Reply #428 on: September 02, 2012, 04:13:04 pm »
I am a staunch NES Castlevania fan. Many fans of the three games agree that the first and third games are epic but the second one Simon's Quest leaves something to be desired. I have been attempting to give the game a new look for a few months now and damn is it time consuming.

My question is what other games on the NES could stand a new look to make it more interesting to look at and more challenging in your opinion.

My list reads

Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde. This game has some good graphics on the Hyde side but it has some shitty gameplay aspects and the game has no depth as the graphics and enemies repeat for both Jeckyll and Hyde.

Frankenstein by Bandai. Same producer as J&H the gameplay is a little more involved but the collision detection is shot and the graphics are not as sharp as they could be.

Goonies II. Nothing wrong with the graphics or music as they are both Konami gold but the gameplay is a bit ass backwards.

Adventure of Lolo I-III. Fucking brilliant puzzle games, possibly top 5 ever made but too fucking fooofy.

Deadly Towers this game is such a fucking mess I don't know where to start. The idea seems interesting though.

Faxanadu needs some collision detection work done on it otherwise this a decent game.

Golgo 13 and the Mafat conspiracy better control needed on both.

Mission Impossible tries to be like Metal Gear 2 but it falls due to C D and too many unfair instant death traps.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: September 02, 2012, 04:32:51 pm »
I think with most of those, particularly Jekyll & Hyde, you'd be much better off with a complete tear-down and making a new game from scratch using the same idea rather than trying to mash enough ASM into the NES ROM to make them playable.

There's a remake of MSX Goonies, but of course that is not the same as Goonies II.

I'm not sure what you mean by Lolo being "foofy".

Xanadu, from which Faxanadu was spun off, was actually remade many times.

Also, why is this in "General Discussion" ?
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #430 on: September 02, 2012, 04:37:59 pm »
Many fans of the three games agree that the first and third games are epic but the second one Simon's Quest leaves something to be desired.
I agree.

My question is what other games on the NES could stand a new look to make it more interesting to look at and more challenging in your opinion.

My list reads
[...]
Sorry for saying it straight, but while romhacking can certainly affect a lot of things in games, "magically" changing bad games to good games is definitely something that should be very hard to do. Especially if the physics of the game engine are broken.

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
« Reply #431 on: September 02, 2012, 05:08:54 pm »
I really, really, really, REALLY wish someone would remake Faxanadu. I would die a happy man.

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

SargeSmash

• View Profile
« Reply #432 on: September 02, 2012, 11:49:53 pm »
I really, really, really, REALLY wish someone would remake Faxanadu. I would die a happy man.

~DS
I second this.  Also, if someone wants to go for Zelda 2 in the process, who am I to say no?
For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?  -- Mark 8:36

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #433 on: September 03, 2012, 04:58:16 am »
I'd remade it if I held the copyrights.... but alas this isn't going to happen.

Faxanadu was probably a good idea, but the result turned into something really, really awful. Even much worse than Castlevania 2.
Seriously, this game is barely playable, have some of the worst graphics ever seen on the platform, and the music is... AAARGHHH
Makes Zelda 2 and Castlevania 2 looks like masterpieces.

lilpuddy31

• View Profile
« Reply #434 on: September 04, 2012, 05:09:58 pm »
Rock Man & Forte (SNES): Insert translation and graphics from Mega Man & Bass (GBA)

Golden Axe 3 (GEN): NTSC-U hack

Final Fantasy 5 (SNES): Insert translation from the PS1 re-release

itoikenza

• https://www.irccloud.com
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter!
« Reply #435 on: September 13, 2012, 03:05:15 pm »
Could Someone help me learn what Edea was talking about for Tactics Ogre (snes)? she said the main char. needs a "JMP Routine" to add moves to his initial list.
anyone. please help?  0x00ebc94 - Denim's Initial Spells (doesn't insert into Magic menu, need to use a JMP routine to get anything out of it)

id like... an .ips please...

Oracle
Summon-I
RiotBurn
Revivify
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 03:15:17 pm by itoikenza »

KiddoCabbusses

• View Profile
« Reply #436 on: September 16, 2012, 06:54:43 pm »
Here's a question/idea;

How much effort would it require to give Konami's Arcade ports to the SNES a bit more umph in the arcade accuracy/polish?
Especially "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time".
I was really disappointed in "Re-Shelled", because I was actually hoping for something closer to a remake of the SNES game but with the features the arcade version has that are advantages over it.

* Improved, more fluid animation
* Enemies and elements that aren't present in the console port
* 4 players simultaneously

While still keeping all the things that made the SNES version "better":

* The tightened, more polished gameplay mechanics
* The extra levels
* The extra modes of play

I think it'd be a neat idea to do a hack that could combine both elements into a "Best" version.

rasengan0

• View Profile
« Reply #437 on: September 24, 2012, 10:54:33 pm »
I know there is a cracked rom already. but even with the speed up it provides, some games are impossible (at the higher difficulty levels). If someone could maybe incorporate R or L to give it like a super fast boost it would make me a very happy camper haha! thanks

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #438 on: September 25, 2012, 10:51:40 am »
@KiddoCabbusses: A lot more effort than most anyone would be willing to put in more than likely.

rasengan0

• View Profile
« Reply #439 on: September 29, 2012, 01:19:00 am »
A simple hack, really. Could someone make a patch that removes that annoying cursor moving around the screen every time an action is done while in a duel? Thanks