News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2165476 times)

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #400 on: July 14, 2012, 01:57:51 am »
Specifically where you reach the top and gain a extra 1up, I don't think SMB does this (and its been ages since I've played original SMB to check if it does).
Japanese SMB2 does something like that.  Your coins need to be a multiple of 11 that matches the last digit of the timer.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

ZAPPSOFT

« Reply #401 on: July 19, 2012, 12:46:58 am »
Here are a couple of ideas that we are working on,
While we are working on our current, Prelude Of Darkness Project, We have been thinking of making,

Castlevania - The Legend Of Fuma,
Which would contain Getsu Fuma as the main character playing through Ryokoki's Castle.

Also we have an idea for a side scrolling
Castlevania 2 - The Accursed Seal.
Using the First Game's Engine.

I believe that is all we have in mind so far along with,
POD which is almost near completion.

We would love to hear your thoughts on these two.

ZAPPSOFT

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: July 23, 2012, 06:04:07 pm »

Here's a very quick mock-up of something I've been wanting to do for a while but could never figure out.

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: August 01, 2012, 02:18:12 am »
Here are a couple of ideas that we are working on,
While we are working on our current, Prelude Of Darkness Project, We have been thinking of making,

Which would contain Getsu Fuma as the main character playing through Ryokoki's Castle.

Also we have an idea for a side scrolling
Castlevania 2 - The Accursed Seal.
Using the First Game's Engine.

I believe that is all we have in mind so far along with,
POD which is almost near completion.

We would love to hear your thoughts on these two.

ZAPPSOFT

Add this to those ideas: Castlevania Rondo of Blood FC. Basically, would need to work heavily on any of the CV for NES, to reflect most of Rondo Of Blood's features.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #404 on: August 01, 2012, 02:22:17 pm »
I actually have plans to demake RoB, but as a fan game for PC instead of a ROM hack.

ChronoMoogle

• Super Famicom all the way.
    • View Profile
    • SNESfreaks
« Reply #405 on: August 02, 2012, 10:48:32 pm »
Majyuuou (King of Demons, SFC): Add a new ending for the condition that the player stays human the whole game, the developers gave multiple endings for all kind of conditions but left out the most important one.

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: August 03, 2012, 01:31:36 pm »
Majyuuou (King of Demons, SFC): Add a new ending for the condition that the player stays human the whole game, the developers gave multiple endings for all kind of conditions but left out the most important one.
No, it had only two endings. One where he is in human form, as the "monster" to give his daughter back and then kills said monster, not knowing it was his daughter. And one where he becomes a demon too and leaves with her to try to make the world safe for demons and humans.

ChronoMoogle

• Super Famicom all the way.
    • View Profile
    • SNESfreaks
« Reply #407 on: August 04, 2012, 03:52:42 am »
A lot of sources in the internet were telling me that a ending like this is missing. Gee, freaking duplicating of misinformation. Are there ending collections or something like this on niconico?

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: August 05, 2012, 08:41:05 pm »
Hi everyone,

This is my first day on here, I got great ideas for hacks and patches that I would like to see become a reality. Here's what I came up with so far, it's a huge list.

I tried to put my list of ideas from the previous page in their own topic so people will know about them and see them, but they won't let me. So I'm re-posting them on this page.
Here's my list of ideas for hacks and patches I would like to see become a reality, it's a huge list. Let me know what you think of my ideas.

Sega Genesis:

Golden Axe:
A hack that does this:
Change the color of Gilius Thunderhead's axe to the correct gold color to make it look more like the arcade version.
Give the two skeletons in stage 8 (Death Bringer) the green tint, purple sword and purple shield color scheme they had in The Duel mode.

Golden Axe II:
A hack that changes the color of Gilius Thunderhead's axe to the correct gold color.

Streets of Rage 2:
A uncensored patch that restores all the stuff that got censored in the American Version.

Super Nintendo:

Contra III: The Alien Wars:
A hack that brings back the three cheat codes and the unlimited continues from the Japanese Version.

F-Zero:
A hack that adds Ace League from BS F-Zero 2 to this game as a fourth league.

Super Castlevania IV:
A uncensored patch that restores all the stuff that got censored in the American Version and make blood drip from the Super Castlevania IV logo as well.

Super Mario Kart:
A hack that does this:
Restores Peach's and Bowser's original celebration animations from the Japanese Version where they're drinking their champagne.
The ability to play Special Cup in 50CC.

Nintendo Entertainment System:

Super C:
A hack that brings back the 30 lives code from the Japanese Version.

Nintendo 64:

Mario Kart 64:
A hack that brings back the original billboards and the 64 ball sign from the Japanese version.

Mac and PC:

Return to Castle Wolfenstein:
A mod that adds the new content that was only exclusive on the Xbox version to the Mac and PC versions.

Game Boy Color:

Pokemon Crystal:
A uncensored patch that restores all the stuff that got censored in the American Version.

Wario Land II:
A hack that restores the beer throwing penguin from the Japanese Version.

Game Boy Advance:

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga:
A hack that does this:
Restores the lost cameo appearances of Nintendo characters that appear in the Starbeans Cafe after you make a new drink, their data is still in the game.
Here's some websites to help you:
http://themushroomkingdom.net/mlss_lost.shtml
http://spriters-resource.com/gameboy_advance/mlss/sheet/27639
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glC3zXaJjtQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUyG-vF-VMs
Bring back the block that restores your HP and BP from the Japanese Version.

Mario Kart Super Circuit:
A hack that brings back the hazards for the SNES tracks.

Metroid Zero Mission:
A hack that makes Crocomire a actual mini-boss in the game.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 07:12:20 pm by SCD »

lilpuddy31

• View Profile
« Reply #409 on: August 07, 2012, 07:16:35 pm »
I have an idea for an addendum patch for Neill Corlett's Final Fantasy 3-nes patch.  A fix for the issue that happens when you can't use an item (1st letter of item gets replaced with the 'x' symbol), also,any way we we could get the original credits back but add in the translators names?

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: August 11, 2012, 12:18:32 pm »
Based on this post:
Did You Know Gaming

I had an idea: why not fix what they couldn't?

twipley

• View Profile
« Reply #411 on: August 13, 2012, 05:01:07 pm »
Hello everyone,

I have, for some time in the past, tried, using http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/246/, to hack the Rockman ROM so as for it to become, in an exclusive manner, a fight between you and the yellow brick boss, and all the other six bosses, although featuring only the basic, buster weapon.

In other words, the "rock, paper, and scissors" part is then cut out of the game, and what remains is you trying to understand the dynamics of each boss, and beat it using your bare hands (read: the "buster-beam" weapon). I think a great value would be 2 or 3 for the damage it would inflict to each boss -- enough for the fight to be tedious, but not to be too long nor too short. In other words, if you understand the dynamics of the strategy well enough, and have good dexterity, then you are going to win the fight.

One could for example set it to begin at the second end-game level, mid-way, where one is to beat all the bosses in what seems to be about a single row.

It would also be interesting for the same thing to be applied to the "Bubble Bobble" game, to the most-difficult version of the end boss.

Once the fights are ended, one is victorious, and then the cartridge experience comes to an end.

I have no intention of hacking the ROMs myself, but if anyone ever is interested in doing so in the future, let him post the results in this thread.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #412 on: August 13, 2012, 07:56:15 pm »
So basically "Mega Man Showdown" with the weapons disabled.

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
    • My Stuff including Super Smash Karts.
« Reply #413 on: August 14, 2012, 08:33:52 am »
enough for the fight to be tedious,

This... is not a good thing... In a game, you want to entertain and challenge the player, not bore them to death (or frustrate them too much). The overall idea isn't bad, but this choice of words is poor.

Edit: In other words, don't say you want the fight to be tedious. A better choice of words would be to make it more strategic, or challenging, or something other than tedious.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 09:52:52 am by Garoth Moulinoski »
Who will quote me next?
Disclaimer: If it sounds wrong, I may have been posting while asleep.

twipley

• View Profile
« Reply #414 on: August 14, 2012, 09:50:15 am »
Yes! That's it -- entertain and challenge him, but not allow him to beat the bosses in a few hits. That's the whole idea behind it.

For example, the Ice Man fight is quite nice, although if one has the "proper" weapon, he is to be beaten in a few hits, not even giving the player the chance to get a grasp of the dynamics.

Concerning the difficulty level: the last game I have played (as I am not really a gamer) was the demo of Battle Kid, which I found has it just right on the difficulty -- nor too easy, nor too hard.

EDIT; yes, that's it, about the "showdown." One enters levels, starts right at the bosses, and they are given weapons (I guess hacking that out would be though). Every weapon might do same damage to every boss, though.

EDIT2: lost 2 hours of my life fiddling with this. I think it's not worth it... just play the original version of the game if you want to. -- have a productive day!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 12:00:18 pm by twipley »

Crysta

• View Profile
« Reply #415 on: August 14, 2012, 02:50:01 pm »
Hopefully this one is as simple as i'd expect, but I have no real way of knowing since its beyond my ability. A small graphics hack of Castlevania Bloodlines to change crystals used for special weapons (and the one on the menu bar above the screen) into hearts like every other CV. The reason I can't do it? No idea how to handle compressed graphics at all. My limit is pretty much tile editing.

And yes I realize that without hacking the palettes as well this would make large hearts blue. I could still live with that if it wasn't possible to do the palettes.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #416 on: August 14, 2012, 04:01:57 pm »
I've actually thought of doing exactly that for quite some time. The palette hacking should be the easy part. However I, like you, am pretty much powerless in the face of compression. Not that I don't think I could figure it out, just don't have the time nor desire to do so.

Legend

• View Profile
« Reply #417 on: August 14, 2012, 09:20:15 pm »

That would be awesome. I loved gettsufumaden for famicom. Always wished someone would have hacked the original to make a new adventure, but a castlevania hack where you get to play as fuuma would be just as great. Especially if you could get the sword swing in instead of the whip.

The castlevania 2 inside of castlevania 1's engine idea sounds cool too, but personally, I'd rather see a hack of cv2 or cv3 since they don't get nearly as much hack love as cv1 does.

Fuma would still be my favorite idea though. :p

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #418 on: August 15, 2012, 12:17:06 am »
Castlevania doesn't get a lot of hack love, I think, mostly because the way stages are built is convoluted and wierd. There's only so much you can do without being able to at least shift rooms around. The best thing that could be done for CV hacking is an in depth study of how to mod and expand the stages & stage progression. If that were done, then I'd love to see a remake of CV2 with the CV3 engine. That would rock.

spiffy

• View Profile
« Reply #419 on: August 16, 2012, 01:34:01 am »
Vanya, your new english titlescreen for the japanese Castlevania III in the other thread (which is brill, by the way) gave me a few ideas for a hack or two:

Text

Using Vice Translation's Akumajou Densetsu english translation as a base:

• Change all instances of 'Belmond' to 'Belmont'
  • Change all instances of 'Ralph' to 'Trevor'
  • Possibly change Grant and Sypha's surnames in the ending (maybe provide optional patches, eg. one changes them to 'Danesti' and 'Vernandes', while another changes them to 'Danasty' and 'Belnades', according to personal preference)
  • 'Fix' a minor issue in the intro text crawl, which states that the events of the game occur 100 years before the original Castlevania game (which had Simon as the protagonist). While this may have been true at the time of the game's release, by now the creators have established that CVIII takes place in 1476 A.D. while CVI takes place in 1691. According to the official timeline, Castlevania: The Adventure (or Adventure Rebirth if you prefer) occurs exactly 100 years after CVIII, with Christopher Belmont as the protagonist. So a newly 'revised' opening crawl should probably reference Christopher instead of Simon. This change can be very flexible, as you can either go with Christopher or Simon, just being sure to adjust the number of years, eg. "Over two centuries before Simon Belmont"; "200 years before Simon Belmont", etc. For one thing, Christopher's mostly a 'forgotten' character in the franchise and could understandably use more exposure, yet Simon is more iconic. It's just that if Konami were to ever re-release the original japanese version of CVIII with a new translation, they would probably try to match it up with their established continuity. It'd just be a nice little nod to the fans, I guess.

Graphical/Gameplay

• Alter Alucard's sprites, portrait and moveset to more closely resemble his Symphony of the Night and Dawn of Sorrow incarnations (especially the latter). For example, not only can he turn into a bat and throw fireballs but he can also use his Alucard Sword, which can be powered up via the Whip upgrades. Maybe make him more agile and easier to control but reduce the effectiveness of his sword in order to balance him out with the rest of the game.

Something along those lines. Consider it something like a 'Revised Ultimate Sperglord Edition' of an old classic.