News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2341863 times)

DarkSamus993

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #3140 on: August 24, 2016, 10:10:03 pm »
Damnit dude, you are simply an amazing hacker. :P

My question about those are:
1) Is the middle one "Palette edits" the hacked ROM by JUST modifying the palettes and nothing else?
2) What was the main issue with the SMW title?

1) RGB values for the solid color of the background are loaded by opcodes, not by palettes. I simply modified the 7 sets of 3 opcodes (1 opcode for each red, green, and blue value to load) to load either the darker blue or the lighter blue when appropriate. The rest was done with regular palette editing.

2) In SMAS+W, the title tiles are loaded pragmatically rather than separate sprite OAM for each tile (which is what SMAS did). The first tile in a row's X/Ypos, tile size, and palette is set (there is a separate table for tile IDs). The following tile increments the Xpos, and loads the same opcodes to get the Ypos, tile size, and palette. In a couple of spots the next row of tiles will call the Xpos of the first tile in the previous row.

This system of loading tiles is too rigid to be able to load SMAS larger logo graphics properly. It would take some advanced assembly hacking to get the SMAS logo loaded (either by modifing the SMAS+W code or porting the SMAS sprite OAM loading routine that it uses for it's title graphics).

You did a awesome job on changing the palettes of the title screen.
Thanks! I had fun working on this little project.

Animation Guru

• View Profile
« Reply #3141 on: August 25, 2016, 12:37:30 am »
Oh cool, you did it!  Can't wait to download the patch.

RealGaea

• View Profile
« Reply #3142 on: August 25, 2016, 09:40:05 pm »
Then, it could be made for this little thing that always bothered me when playing MKII on SNES.

Restore Johnny Cage's otomix pants to its arcade counterpart: BLUE.

Every port of MKII has Cage with blue pants.

In SNES, we get the Red pants, with the originals as his mirror match color, WTH?

I appreciate if anyone fix this color issue.

blgmadresh0000

• View Profile
« Reply #3143 on: August 25, 2016, 09:45:17 pm »
It would be great to make a nes hyrule warriors hack with all the sprites and custom overworld but what rom would be the perfect choice?

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #3144 on: August 26, 2016, 11:51:31 am »
 FF6 Idea -

Adding another world map to make it seem you're on the other side of the world with new monsters, and villain (Maybe play with the idea with a ancient villain from the War of the Magi)?

OR

Add a underwater adventure with the same concept.

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3145 on: August 27, 2016, 09:54:18 am »
Then, it could be made for this little thing that always bothered me when playing MKII on SNES.

Restore Johnny Cage's otomix pants to its arcade counterpart: BLUE.

Every port of MKII has Cage with blue pants.

In SNES, we get the Red pants, with the originals as his mirror match color, WTH?

I appreciate if anyone fix this color issue.

I never knew that Acclaim screwed up on the colors of Johnny Cage in the Super NES port, that would be great if someone can fix this.

DrDimension

• View Profile
« Reply #3146 on: August 27, 2016, 12:28:56 pm »
Not sure where to post a hack request, but I have one that is hopefully fairly simple.

Insert stage music for Arkanoid: Doh it Again for the SNES.

This alone will bring the game up above mediocre into something worth playing by a much larger audience. Arkanoid: DIA has pretty much all the other ingredients in place to be a great game, but is strangely missing the one element - music during gameplay!

Obviously, the tracks would need to be tastefully chosen as not to clash with the tonal sound effects, but even pulling in tracks from another (hopefully sufficiently obscure) SNES games would be fine. Maybe Wordtris or something?

Geez, just anything to break up the monotony!

Cheers!

August 27, 2016, 04:51:34 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Oh, and one more Request -

Can someone change the title of 'Jerry Boy' to its proper english name 'Jelly Boy'?

http://www.romhacking.net/translations/372/

It's sequel is called Jelly Boy 2, and I'm not sure why the translation of the first game kept the seemingly Engrish name?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 04:56:42 pm by DrDimension »

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #3147 on: August 27, 2016, 05:46:31 pm »
After checking out the Pokemon in-joke thread I think it'd be funny to have a spoof-english-translation of one the GSC generation games, made to look like someone half-assed the whole thing in an attempt to have it translated "before" Nintendo released the titles in the U.S. back in the day.  :laugh:
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #3148 on: August 27, 2016, 06:08:18 pm »
Someone did something like that for Pokemon Blue. It's called Pokemon Blue: Google Translate Edition.

If you really want it to be Gen 2 though, there's always Vietnamese Crystal, buggy and unprofessional as it is.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #3149 on: August 27, 2016, 06:28:18 pm »
If I am going to that much effort I would probably do the pokemon - good version hack I have considered for a while. The GBA saw a bunch of clones (medabots, robopon, demi kids to name the big three) that I hold are far better examples, however none really managed to break the stranglehold where things like Final Fantasy tactics had loads of competition.

That or translate one of the many untranslated medabots RPGs.

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #3150 on: August 27, 2016, 07:36:17 pm »
Not sure where to post a hack request, but I have one that is hopefully fairly simple.

Insert stage music for Arkanoid: Doh it Again for the SNES.

This alone will bring the game up above mediocre into something worth playing by a much larger audience. Arkanoid: DIA has pretty much all the other ingredients in place to be a great game, but is strangely missing the one element - music during gameplay!

Obviously, the tracks would need to be tastefully chosen as not to clash with the tonal sound effects, but even pulling in tracks from another (hopefully sufficiently obscure) SNES games would be fine. Maybe Wordtris or something?

Geez, just anything to break up the monotony!

Cheers!

August 27, 2016, 04:51:34 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Oh, and one more Request -

Can someone change the title of 'Jerry Boy' to its proper english name 'Jelly Boy'?

http://www.romhacking.net/translations/372/

It's sequel is called Jelly Boy 2, and I'm not sure why the translation of the first game kept the seemingly Engrish name?

Back in the days I was playing Alleyway on Gameboy and I thought the intention was to make your own music by hitting the bricks. Never heard anyway say they should have music in a brick game. Maybe you're too used to the modern gen brick games?

Animation Guru

• View Profile
« Reply #3151 on: August 28, 2016, 12:39:32 am »
Super Mario Advance 4 - Super Mario Bros. 3
Get those dang e-Reader Switches activated permanently!

You know what I hate?  When I can't activate a feature in a game, because it's attached to the e-Reader.  I know there's a way in emulation to fake the e-Reader and swipe virtual cards, but I think a better solution would be to hack the rom so those darn switch cards stay activated forever.

The ideal solution would be to have a patch file for each of the seven switches, but I'm really only interested in two.

1. Blue-Green Switch - Activate SMB2 vegetables in the main game.
2. Yellow Switch - Activate Luigi's flutter jump in the main game.

The rest are just kinda... meh...

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #3152 on: August 28, 2016, 02:17:52 am »
I second that idea. I really wanna play through SMA4 again, but I refuse to do it without the veggies enabled. I haven't had lucky using a cheat in a emulator so some kinda hack where you can pick your e-card would be awesome.

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #3153 on: August 28, 2016, 12:06:02 pm »
I don't know if this can be done or not, but has anyone ever attempted to inject graphics mods for FF7/FF8/FF9 for PS1-N versions? I know at the end of the day there is the PC versions, but just for those people who rather play the PS3-N versions instead. Though concerning FF9 which I don't think it even needs a facelift at all, and then you got the remake FF7 coming up. I know there is rumors of FF8 getting a remake too, but there is not much info on it.

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #3154 on: August 28, 2016, 12:55:17 pm »
It would be awesome to see a hack of Super Mario Land 1 where you can play through all the levels in Submarine/Plane form, like the first two worlds you're in a submarine and the last two worlds you're in the airplane.
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

MethidMan

• View Profile
« Reply #3155 on: August 28, 2016, 01:03:13 pm »
I came across two game genie codes for River City Ransom that make extra things selectable in the menus, but they're still hidden and invisible within them* These codes were created by Hybrid and Panda from GameHacking.org and they add the functionality to be able to select Easy in the difficulty menu (they renamed Normal to Novice, and Hard to Advanced when the game was localized), and to be able to select 2 Player B (no friendly fire) in the player select menu.

*What I mean by hidden and invisible is that if you scroll one more time in a direction (down in the player select menu, or left in the difficulty select menu) the cursor disappears but it's actually "highlighting" the extra menu option. It's interesting how these modes still exist in the American version of the game and weren't completely removed, just covered up and made unselectable in the menus, which makes you wonder why they even bothered to do that; there was no reason for them to do so.

Both of these codes now make these extra options available as they were in the Japanese version. The only thing I'm requesting is to make them visible in the menus.

So that this:

Can look something like this (I did some photoshopping):

In case it helps, these are how they looked like in the Japanese version:

Could someone do this? Can I at least get some kind of tutorial on how I might be able to do it myself?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 11:12:36 pm by MethidMan »

MithrandirOlorin

• View Profile
« Reply #3156 on: August 28, 2016, 05:46:32 pm »
Pokemon Bat

This idea Pokemon Rom Hack.  I’d like it to be a Third Generation Romhack (Mainly LeafGreen) inspire of the fact that one 4th generation Pokemon gets named dropped.

The region is called Gotham

You place as Bruce Wayne, a ten year old.  It is the two years anniversary of your Parents being gunned down in front of you by Pokemon thieves.  After having a nightmare about it you run into the woods behind your house and fall into a cave where you befriend a Zubat, and decide to go off on a Pokemon journey, the Zubat becomes your starter Pokemon.  Your Butler Alfred Pennyworth will function as both Bill and Oak, managing all the PC stuff for you.

The rival character is Selina Kyle, who’s starter Pokemon is a Meowth.

The evil team in this one is more like Team Rocket, just being interested in money, then latter Teams that are cults.  It is called Team Umbrella, and it’s leader is known as The Empoleon of Crime.  His real identity is Oswald Cobblepot, who trainer of Bird Pokemon who runs a Poke Stop called the Iceberg Lounge, that among other things houses the Ice Type gym.  He won’t actually have an Empoleon on him though, this game’s roster should be limited to Pokemon you can use in LeafGreen.

The Gym Leader of the IceBerg Lounge’s gym is Victor Fries.

The other 7 Gym leaders include, Drury Walker, the Bug Type Gym leader, Joe Rigger, the Fire Type Gym Leader, and Lester Buchinsky, the Electric Type Gym leader.  I like including the three filler bosses of the Batman 89 NES game in any Batman fan game ideas I come up with.

Pamela Isley, the Grass/Poison Type Gym Leader.

Jonathan Crane, the Ghost Type Gym Leader.

Jervis Tetch, the Psychic Type Gym Leader.

Natalia Mitternacht, Dark Type Gym Leader.

The Elite Four will be League of Assassins Members, Bane (Fighting type), Onyx (Rock Type) Bronze Tiger (Steel Type), and Lady Shiva (Dragon Type).

And the Champion will be Ra’s Al Ghul.

There will be an Unknown cave in the game where they are being researched by Edward Nygma who trains them exclusively, you can battle him but it’s not required.

It’s companion Game is Pokemon Cat, where everything is the same except you play as Selina and Bruce is the Rival.  And a different Origin story, someone else will have to write that.  And Holly Robinson (your friend with benefits) will replace Alfred.

I made a conscience decision not to shoehorn in every Batman villain, Black Mask, Two-Face, Deadshot, all ones that couldn’t work in this premise.

And that goes double for The Joker.  There many great Batman stories with no Joker in them.  So given the Joker overload of the Arkham Games I figured a video game Batman universe that opts out of forcing The Joker would be nice.

Animation Guru

• View Profile
« Reply #3157 on: August 28, 2016, 09:18:42 pm »
Mad City title screen to The Adventures of Bayou Billy

Stardust Crusaders did a complete translation of Mad City using the Bayou Billy script.  That's awesome!  The Japanese version is much more balanced and actually  has multiple endings!

Unfortunately, the title screen still says Mad City.  Not a deal breaker, but It'd be really cool if there was an addendum to this translation that also converted the title screen.

butfluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #3158 on: August 29, 2016, 04:33:20 pm »
would anyone who knows how be willing to hack kirby tilt n tumble for the gameboy colour so that the dpad can be used for control isntead of motion sensor?
 such hacks exist for motion sensor tilt games for the gameboy advance so i'm assuming the hack is doable but nobody has aken on the task yet.
 it would be great to be able to play kirby tilt n tumble on the gb everdrive flash cart played on gamecube gameboy player hooked up to my trinatron tv.
 there has been some other flash cart users looking for such an hack and finding a hack does not exist so i figured this is the best place to ask.

Jareth247

• View Profile
« Reply #3159 on: August 29, 2016, 11:09:29 pm »
Would/could someone hack the Megami Tensei games into 8-bit style Persona titles?