News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2270439 times)

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #3020 on: July 17, 2016, 03:28:36 pm »
I'm sure this has come up before, but it would be neat to see someone tone down the palettes in the GBA Fire Emblem games to be more subdued and in line with the rest of the series post-SNES. It's obvious it was done to compensate for the earlier GBA's lack of backlight, but played on a system that has one, it looks inappropriately cartoonish and clashes with the actual tone of the games.

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3021 on: July 17, 2016, 11:09:14 pm »
I'm sure this has come up before, but it would be neat to see someone tone down the palettes in the GBA Fire Emblem games to be more subdued and in line with the rest of the series post-SNES. It's obvious it was done to compensate for the earlier GBA's lack of backlight, but played on a system that has one, it looks inappropriately cartoonish and clashes with the actual tone of the games.

I think a plugin for VBA-M that allows us to tweak the colors, brightness, contrast, etc would be better.

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #3022 on: July 18, 2016, 04:09:36 am »
I don't remember if I brought this up before, but I always considered Dragon Quest I+II SNES music (only certain tracks) to be really lacking compared to Dragon Quest III for the SNES. Would anyone be up to remix the snes tracks for Dragon Quest I+II? It surprises me that the GB, and NES versions had a bit more OMPH! to them compared to the SNES versions.

EDIT:
Most of the field tracks for both games are actually outstanding, but it is the battle tracks that are offending to the ears. I don't know why they goofed those up so badly when all the other SNES tracks are perfectly fine.

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #3023 on: July 18, 2016, 03:51:41 pm »
This may be me thinking, but I was thinking about translating the obscure games from the old Terebikko phone games and Playdia games. For example, translating the in game text and then fandubbing them. I wouldn't mind playing an English Mario & Yoshi Terebikko game. Either that or translate the unreleased Sega Pico games like the Pokemon and Sailor Moon ones. I know that one is a children's console, but hey, back then an NES or Genesis was a kid console back then before it became popular enough to be collector's items.

July 18, 2016, 03:53:10 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Here's my question though, when did the designers start putting blood in robots?  It sounds weird to me.  :P

No clue. The robots that gush blood may be oil or something to me. It does seem pretty weird. Probably another reason why they censored it.

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3024 on: July 18, 2016, 05:07:38 pm »
Molten metal? Oil? Who knows...

Anyways, idea: a Mega Man series romhack where you play as a samurai and gains special techniques by defeating ancient demons. The techniques would use an "Ougi" gauge shared among them all (similar to Mega Man Xtreme 2's Zero), but can be recovered by finding cups or bottles of Holy Saké, killing enemies or getting hit (though the gain from killing enemies would be minimal, cups or bottles would restore 1/8 to 1/4 of Ougi, taking damage would restore based on damage taken). By default, your main weapon is... Your sword, a short-ranged attack. In 5 however you could get a Mystical Bow, which has infinite arrows but does mediocre damage, thankfully the arrows are strong enough to hold your weight. And... Well, different powerups, different replacements.

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #3025 on: July 18, 2016, 05:47:12 pm »
Holy cow, this thought just came to me today on an idea that could probably work. Bowser in Super Mario Bros. 2 (or Super Mario USA). There's also Doki Doki Panic in Mario All Stars, but I'm not sure how that could work.

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #3026 on: July 18, 2016, 06:21:02 pm »
A port of .flow to SNES or NDS would be cool but would probably require massive engine overhauls or a completely homebrew base to get it to work.

At the very least, I think most of .flows graphics and music are stored loosely in the game folder and the gameplay is very simplistic, the only major problem might be the gigantic maps and the fact that they need to be able to loop seamlessly, also not entirely sure about the fullscreen events.

http://yumenikkifg.wikia.com/wiki/.flow

Sleepy's Tune of the week || Floor Baba - WIGGLECORE - https://youtu.be/qUeHc1QLxnU

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #3027 on: July 18, 2016, 07:31:06 pm »
the only major problem might be the gigantic maps and the fact that they need to be able to loop seamlessly, also not entirely sure about the fullscreen events.

Seamless looping maps were done on the NES with Final Fantasy 2. It shouldn't be that big an issue.

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #3028 on: July 18, 2016, 07:57:24 pm »
Okay that's a relief, the map sizes may still be a problem though, that why I suggested an nds game as a base, cause there ain't no way the NES can handle that much happening at once, hell, it might be pushing it even for SNES, I'm not sure since I haven't really looked into how much it can handle.
Sleepy's Tune of the week || Floor Baba - WIGGLECORE - https://youtu.be/qUeHc1QLxnU

pacnsacdave

• I make game hacks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3029 on: July 20, 2016, 06:41:26 pm »
Holy cow, this thought just came to me today on an idea that could probably work. Bowser in Super Mario Bros. 2 (or Super Mario USA). There's also Doki Doki Panic in Mario All Stars, but I'm not sure how that could work.
Go check your private messages, sir. If you like the way it looks, I'm going to upload it here.

treos

• View Profile
« Reply #3030 on: July 20, 2016, 07:35:56 pm »
i just had an idea forFF1 or FF2 (final fantasy)...or phantasy star IV. whichever would work best with this.

take the spell/stat training system where your spell and stats would increase based on what you did in combat and put it into PSIV if possible. or if not that, the art/sprites/script/etc. of PSIV transferred to one of the early FF games that had said training system.

i'm not sure how the spell combos of PSIV would work in this idea but you could pretty much strip the multiple/higher tiers of the PSIV spell/skills away and leave the basic forms to grow like spells in those early FF games.

this might have to be for the gba or psx versions of those FF games though. i doubt nes could handle all the animations and whatnot.

i guess what i'm really trying to suggest is having a "growth" system in phantasy star IV. i dunno, i was just browsing around and thought that might make it a bit more interesting or something.

as for the limits of the "growth" system...stats would probably best be capped at 255 (why would they need to go higher?). as for skills and spells...i dunno, how high do you guys think they could ("could" is likely a dumb question. i mean, i've seen the Wizardry games on snes in action before. i know the lvl value is double byte thus potentially infinite. or...well, i don't know exactly how high it can go. that and the exp value which was also double byte. so yeah, spell/skill growth could always do  but that's kinda dumb for an RPG like PSIV imo.) or should they go?

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #3031 on: July 21, 2016, 08:38:31 am »
As I play through KotoR 2 again for the umpteenth time (but this time for delicious Steam Achievements), I've really found it a bit jarring how much of a certain key character's background gets shown off so early and often.  It seems like so many spoilerish things should not have been available to me literally within the first 2 major areas of the game (Peragus and Telos).

So...someone who could hack these sections that are a bit spoilerific and reorder them so they still exist in-game, just behind a few more progression barriers, would be lovely.

It's still one of my favorite games, but this has just been bothering the hell out of me as a writer.

STARWIN

• View Profile
« Reply #3032 on: July 21, 2016, 09:51:58 am »
Such discussion would fit somewhere in http://deadlystream.com/forum/ much better than here I suspect. And it is hopefully more about modding than hacking.

jimstrom

• View Profile
« Reply #3033 on: July 21, 2016, 01:58:28 pm »
Since i'm a bit alergic to engrish, i would love to have a hack for Ghosts N' Goblins for NES to rewrite the bad engrish in the game.

If it also could be combined with WolfTeam22 Makai-Mura AC - (Arcade Conversion) hack it would be super.

Other games could use a spelling check and a rewrite of the script if needed too.

Especially games with very little text in the game.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 02:10:35 pm by jimstrom »

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #3034 on: July 21, 2016, 02:54:52 pm »
If you did that then surely someone would flag the patch for not being extensive enough and it'll be removed. You'll have done all that effort for nothing.

resq

• View Profile
« Reply #3035 on: July 21, 2016, 07:11:04 pm »
See I like to take my video games seriously. None of that Mario dick nazi crap or some such other silly nonsense.

Total conversions. On the serious tip.

Like say, for example, that new Metroid Rogue Dawn hack that is coming out. Now that is some enspiring stuff. It's making me want to begin on my own idea that is quite different but just as big. Or maybe the Castlevania III hack Vengeance on Hell. You know, serious type shit.

It kindof amazes me that nobody has made a Metroid hack with vastly edited palette blocks (aside from Rogue Dawn which doesn't count because it's pretty much the best T[otal] C[onversion]. Most Metroid hacks I've played still use the same graphics blocks. Go figure. :-\

So sprite editing is what I mean. Editing sprites in the 8x8. (Plus palettes of course.) Then there's music (of course that's always good.) But that and gameplay mechanics. This is something people probably don't do because it's just too hard. (and there's help here on the forums but it just isn't enough apparently.)

So - total conversions of good games. Those with good ideas could easily come up with enough to satisfy at least many more than has been released as of yet.

It seems to me that , as of yet , the ideas category is lacking as is the the will to actually do hacking on a massive scale.  :angel:  >:D
Come with me if you want to live.

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #3036 on: July 21, 2016, 07:14:35 pm »
I'd kill for a hack of Grandia that skips the drawn out voiceover clips that play before any spell/skill is cast. It would greatly speed up magic and weapon skill lvl grinding!
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

resq

• View Profile
« Reply #3037 on: July 21, 2016, 09:17:12 pm »
I'd kill for a hack of Grandia that skips the drawn out voiceover clips that play before any spell/skill is cast. It would greatly speed up magic and weapon skill lvl grinding!
You know what would be tricked out? If I could play a hacked game of battle chess with you. Like as in Archon hacked.

I don't know what you might hack in it - faster projectiles for better pieces . . Queen, King , etc.

Faster movement for various pieces. . . . Different colors of palette definitely. ! (The Archon game seems to be centered around variations of light and dark aka black and white, hence the atrocious box cover . .)

I don't know what you could hack but it's essentially a game of battle chess so dream up your own stuff. ;D
Come with me if you want to live.

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3038 on: July 22, 2016, 12:53:31 am »
I would like to see a hack for Spider-Man: The Return of the Sinister Six for the NES that would fix the controls, the gameplay, add infinite continues and fix other problems with the game to make it decent to play.

Gary_Oak

• View Profile
« Reply #3039 on: July 22, 2016, 12:48:40 pm »
As much as I respect the translation work MIJET did with the Phantasy Star II text adventures, I wish they had sticked to the official names and terminology from Sega's english localization of the main game. It would be cool if someone could cook up some addendum patches to do just that.