News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2270438 times)

RealGaea

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #3000 on: July 12, 2016, 02:37:30 pm »
Having played some games with colors' improvement, I request this: Captain Commando color restoration

This is the palette of SNES version:

It would be awesome if anyone can modify its palette to look closer to its Arcade port:

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #3001 on: July 12, 2016, 03:00:49 pm »
Just so you know, the guy doing the color restorations is at sega-16. That's where you should be requesting this. But he only does Sega Systems cause alot of the games were colored poorly. So if there's a Genesis version of that game you might wanna request that.

RealGaea

• View Profile
« Reply #3002 on: July 12, 2016, 03:11:12 pm »
Just so you know, the guy doing the color restorations is at sega-16. That's where you should be requesting this. But he only does Sega Systems cause alot of the games were colored poorly. So if there's a Genesis version of that game you might wanna request that.

Sadly, there isn't a SEGA port of Captain Commando... I should request him to make a Punisher color restore.

Thanks for Today's Tip!

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #3003 on: July 13, 2016, 12:44:15 am »
Mega Man Zero 1-4 (GBA), restore blood effects from the japanese version.

In the japanese version of these games, whenever you kill an enemy with a non-buster weapon, you see a blood effect. Can be seen here:
https://tcrf.net/Mega_Man_Zero
https://tcrf.net/Mega_Man_Zero_2
https://tcrf.net/Mega_Man_Zero_3
https://tcrf.net/Mega_Man_Zero_4

These, and a few other details, were censored in all non-japanese versions of the game (including in the DS collection, but that's another story).

A restoration for the (USA) version would be pretty cool...

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #3004 on: July 13, 2016, 01:03:22 am »
Mega Man Zero 1-4 (GBA), restore blood effects from the japanese version.

In the japanese version of these games, whenever you kill an enemy with a non-buster weapon, you see a blood effect. Can be seen here:
https://tcrf.net/Mega_Man_Zero
https://tcrf.net/Mega_Man_Zero_2
https://tcrf.net/Mega_Man_Zero_3
https://tcrf.net/Mega_Man_Zero_4

These, and a few other details, were censored in all non-japanese versions of the game (including in the DS collection, but that's another story).

A restoration for the (USA) version would be pretty cool...

True that. And I know they wanted to censor parts of this stuff just so children would eventually play it, but come on. This game is more of a T rated game in my opinion. At least that's what I believe it is.

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #3005 on: July 13, 2016, 03:34:35 am »
So I was brainstorming some more ideas -

1.) So we have a Zelda Maker that has been around for a long time (Zelda Classic), and I wonder if it could be pushed to the next level using OOT/MM type graphics as the next Zelda Classic? It's a tall order, and if it's even possible.  Only someone ambitious could try something like this.

2.) Overtime the tcrf site has found a lot of unused stuff, and I'm wondering if the community would like to do a restoration project for some of these games, and using restorations that make sense than rather use everything that would not fit. For example there was a inaccessible room in Breath of Fire III that contained items, and it could be made to be re-accessible again. I've not seen a community project like this, and it would be neat. The only question is how many people would be involved, and if such time can be spared. I can see this being a collab-project between RHN and TCRF communities.

3.) Currently there is a very popular FFVI-hack that is in Japanese, and should be listed on here called T-Edition + EX. I think would be beneficial if more people got involved in it, so it could see the light of day. To me that version of FFVI is practically the ultimate in terms of what it is going for, and probably would become immensely popular. Last I've read from one of the posters here that they might be still working on it, but that was awhile ago. I can see this being worth the effort.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #3006 on: July 13, 2016, 04:24:00 am »
I am not overly convinced of the N64 aesthetic, I would rather wait and see if someone gets this unity lark sorted with Zelda stylings (seems to be happening if I am aware of it and I tend not to bother with fan games). That said 3d is never quite as conducive to game maker style ease of use, it is doable enough (see something like the custom park maker in Skate 3, and maybe also combine it with a terrain deforming thing).
Even if you think the N64 looked good you could probably nerf the graphics somehow.

Ryan914

• View Profile
« Reply #3007 on: July 13, 2016, 10:07:55 am »
Maybe a Hack that gives the Zelda Games in general the Broadcast Satellaview Heroes to play as instead or something like it (SNES already has this so no real need for replacing those). Instead of the Destined Hero of Hyrule, a generic male or female would be the hero. It shouldn't be too hard for some sprite and script replacement, the real bottleneck would be the cutscenes in some of the games. (There would be 2 versions, one male and one female, much like the Broadcast Satellaview versions of Zelda 1 and LTTP).

butfluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #3008 on: July 13, 2016, 02:28:06 pm »
has anyone ever considered updating my favorite soccer game of all time dino dini's soccer for the snes? i've played other versions but imo the snes version is the best and after watching euro 2016 i got the urge to play it again which got me thinking, there has been some updates to some classic soccer games over the years but never for this game.
 the game is all about international football, you can even play an entire world cup including the qualifiers which is great fun but the teams included are way out of date.
examples of this are countries like yugoslavia included in the game but since the games release these countries have divided  and we now have bosnia, croatia, serbia and so on. would it be possible to bring the game up to date by removing countries which are no more and adding all the newer ones instead. i know this would expand the amount of teams and the new teams would have to have a new flag graphic but i think people with the know how could do this.
 the question is would anyone be interested?

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #3009 on: July 13, 2016, 10:01:20 pm »
True that. And I know they wanted to censor parts of this stuff just so children would eventually play it, but come on. This game is more of a T rated game in my opinion. At least that's what I believe it is.
Here's my question though, when did the designers start putting blood in robots?  It sounds weird to me.  :P

Maeson

• View Profile
« Reply #3010 on: July 14, 2016, 03:06:43 am »
has anyone ever considered updating my favorite soccer game of all time dino dini's soccer for the snes?

Not so long ago I discovered a soccer game that I actually like a lot, quite a feat seeing how much I dislike most things soccer.

The name is Dolucky's Soccer League, for the Super Famicom (And most of the text is in english!). It's a cartoony upbeat game, so it may not be your thing because it's not realistic, but in all honestly, it's really fun and plays pretty well, with a lot of control options. I find it quite addicting.

There are 4 teams, each one with different stats and abilities, you have a bar that you fill to enter a "hyper" mode where you can shoot the ball like a fireball and go fast a la sanic. The difficulty not only makes the IA more tricky, but also expands the size of the field too (And it adds some obstacles).

There's also weird minigames/Boss fights where you have to kick an evil monkey by kicking the ball at him.

And the music is the shit, it has Mega Man X vibes in some themes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww4IDdNtUxk

You should at least check it out, you may enjoy it. I've been playing it with friends for a few weeks and we can't get tired of it.

Quite a gem in my humble opinion.
I'm off for some time. If for some weird, strange, and important reason, you need to talk to me, just send me a PM and probably I'll read it whenever I come back.

butfluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #3011 on: July 14, 2016, 01:23:54 pm »
yeah i've played it lots of times in the past and it is a fun soccer game. there have been many great soccer games over the years that i enjoyed but i find myself always going back to the snes dino dini game.
  the game has so many little extra things which make it great, the aftertouch system for example is really good and there are lots of in depth options. the only niggle with it is that the countries included are over 20 years out of date.
 i wish i knew how to hack this rom myself, i would add all the current real players names and stats aswell as update the countries which disbanded into other countries. i would be happy enough with just the later of those two updates though.

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #3012 on: July 14, 2016, 07:29:55 pm »
Something I forgot about a bit ago while I was finishing up Legend of Mana:

Dear god someone please put descriptions of tempering items in.  The complexity of some of those game systems with so little explanation boggles my mind...

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3013 on: July 14, 2016, 07:54:00 pm »

Dear god someone please put descriptions of tempering items in.  The complexity of some of those game systems with so little explanation boggles my mind...

I request something similar for Castlevania: Circle of the Moon. There are a bunch of card combos you can try but they don't tell you what most of them do and some have effects that are not immediately recognizable. The only way to really know even half of the potential of these cards is to look up a FAQ. It even has a place for the descriptions but it's usually just something stupid llike "???".
Cigarettes, ice-cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary...

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #3014 on: July 16, 2016, 11:17:07 am »

The thing is that a bit of this was most likely talked about in the Japanese manual; it was a huge size but everywhere else got the little thin standard for instruction manuals

Flake

• View Profile
« Reply #3015 on: July 16, 2016, 04:03:49 pm »
One idea I've had for some years now: we hackers at all levels would definitely like to have a modular meta-utility to be used for producing game-specific hacking utilities for numerous different games.

The reason this comes to mind now is that while I've lately been working with my hex editors on mapping out Wisdom Tree's Spiritual Warfare (Version 6.1) for a future project, and I can't help noticing some remarkable similarities between some of its coding and that of Idol Shisen Mahjong. Two more dissimilar games for the NES than these would be difficult to imagine: Spiritual Warfare runs on Mapper 11 and is a Christianized Legend of Zelda-style adventure game; Idol Shisen Mahjong runs on Mapper 3 and is a puzzle game in which the prizes for which one plays are naughty pictures. Yet the name tables for various areas on Spiritual Warfare's game map work with a tiling-and-palette assignment system very much like the tiling-and-palette assignment system for the name tables on Idol Shisen Mahjong's naughty pictures.

If one were to design a map editor for Spiritual Warfare, it seems to me the editor wouldn't be that difficult to adapt into a picture editor for Idol Shisen Mahjong as well... provided, of course, that the hacker who programmed the first utility were to be programming the second as well; but how likely is that? The game-specific utilities various people churn out on here are programmed in different languages on different platforms using different methods. Even if these other hackers provide their source code along with their programs, one has to be an expert programmer to adapt any such editor for use on a different game.

If, on the other hand, there were some meta-utility with standardized modules, some program into which one simply plugged in hexadecimal addresses for the table one wished to edit and the tiles or blocks of tiles it uses (provided either from plugging in further hexadecimal addresses pointing to the relevant data, or from a chart the hacker builds and loads in separately) along with information about the palettes and compression scheme(s) it uses (if any), one could make a multitude of new game-specific editors for a great many different kinds of games from the same template. It's my understanding there's a French guy working on something like this already, though his NEStorLab is still in the early stages of its development; and of course, it'll need to be translated for us English-speakers too. From what I've seen of the beta he provides for download so far, it also seems to work only with graphics tables and ASM codes at the moment.

We've already got some multi-game utilities for games from specific companies such as Capcom and Konami, but what if we had a utility more comprehensive than that? At the very least, every NES game that emulators have been able to operate must be using some known common formats for its tables and compression schemes. The 16-bit SNES and Genesis systems presumably worked from a limited set of common formats as well. Seems to me some genius programmer who builds the wonderful utilities we already have on here ought to be able to program such a meta-utility for all the games of at least one of these old consoles...

freem

• ɯǝǝɹɟ
    • View Profile
    • AJWorld
« Reply #3016 on: July 16, 2016, 05:06:30 pm »
I'd imagine a program like Nightmare 2 could be useful for some of these things, but not particularly level editing...

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #3017 on: July 17, 2016, 12:26:56 pm »
Considering that the Yabause emulator has a debugger, is it possible (or impossible) to extract the source code from the ISO version's of (all) the Panzer Dragoon Saga game discs?

I ask this because, supposedly the source code for that game has been lost a long time ago, because of some server issue with Sega of Japan, making a the Panzer Dragoon Saga game series a really expensive gem on the Internet. And also, because Sega doesn't have the original source code for this game, they haven't remade it, or rereleased for PC's via Steam, like they have done with some of their franchises.

Jareth247

• View Profile
« Reply #3018 on: July 17, 2016, 12:57:35 pm »
Considering that the Yabause emulator has a debugger, is it possible (or impossible) to extract the source code from the ISO version's of (all) the Panzer Dragoon Saga game discs?

I ask this because, supposedly the source code for that game has been lost a long time ago, because of some server issue with Sega of Japan, making a the Panzer Dragoon Saga game series a really expensive gem on the Internet. And also, because Sega doesn't have the original source code for this game, they haven't remade it, or rereleased for PC's via Steam, like they have done with some of their franchises.

If Sega owned the rights would they still be able to do this? I ask because I know if anyone else tried it it'd be illegal.

STARWIN

• View Profile
« Reply #3019 on: July 17, 2016, 02:20:59 pm »

I doubt the source code was ever inserted to the game disc. You lose information when you compile source code into a binary, and you can't get that information back. It is like extracting design documents from the finished game. All the absolutely necessary code is there in the form of machine code still, of course, as it is what the game is made of.