News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2270471 times)

M-Tee

• One pixel at a timeā€¦
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #2940 on: June 28, 2016, 09:09:39 pm »
If I ever do it, it won't be for a while anyway, as am quite busy. But, if I get around to working on it, it will be characters, text, and likely title screen logo-only. Background changes would only be done as palettes to provide contrast, since the old characters were cool in hue (and therefore frequently had warm backgrounds).

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2941 on: June 28, 2016, 09:35:01 pm »
I'd love to see a SotN hack that takes away that annoying after-image effect that happanes everytime Alucard jumps or starts to move.

Vampires are supposed to sparkle and shine so the teenage girls can swoon over them.
Cigarettes, ice-cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary...

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #2942 on: June 28, 2016, 10:47:45 pm »
This idea came to mind for some reason: SNES Harvest Moon: Female Player Edition. Although there's a few things I'm kind of stumped on.

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #2943 on: June 29, 2016, 02:52:37 pm »
Not unheard of, considering More Friends of Mineral Town and DS Cute.

NES Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #2944 on: June 29, 2016, 06:57:59 pm »
Speaking of DS Cute, I'm surprised no one has hacked the Best Friend proposals back into the game.

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #2945 on: June 29, 2016, 08:27:22 pm »
Heres a few Ive thought of

Banjo Kazooie/Tooie total conversion into Metroid 64.

A hack-sequel of Conker's Bad Fur Day titled "Conker Goes to Hell" taking place after the unused suicide ending.

A conversion of Zelda 64 into Rolan's Curse 64.

Or a merging of Quest: Brian's Journey with Quest 64 +Bugfixes and Improvements.
Sleepy's Tune of the week || Floor Baba - WIGGLECORE - https://youtu.be/qUeHc1QLxnU

Midna

• View Profile
« Reply #2946 on: June 29, 2016, 08:56:08 pm »
Or a merging of Quest: Brian's Journey with Quest 64 +Bugfixes and Improvements.

This actually sounds like a really good idea if I can be honest. Quest 64 had a lot of potential and could have been a much better game than it was, if only it weren't so rushed (no money, no shops, only one party member). Helps that it's one of a very few RPGs for the Nintendo 64.

Sephirous

• View Profile
« Reply #2947 on: June 30, 2016, 02:08:37 am »
I'd like to see a Castlevania III Hack that makes the game play all stages one after another, disabling the fork in the road concept.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2948 on: June 30, 2016, 02:17:44 am »
I'd like to see a Castlevania III Hack that makes the game play all stages one after another, disabling the fork in the road concept.

I want the same for Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness.

Midna

• View Profile
« Reply #2949 on: June 30, 2016, 06:17:15 am »
How about a 16-bit remake of Final Fantasy III made by hacking V? It'd probably be easier to base it off the DS remake, considering several factors.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #2950 on: June 30, 2016, 10:51:20 am »
Heh? You mean the GBA remake?

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #2951 on: June 30, 2016, 12:17:08 pm »
How about a 16-bit remake of Final Fantasy III made by hacking V? It'd probably be easier to base it off the DS remake, considering several factors.
Would you believe me that a remake of Final Fantasy III for the GBA, is one of the hacks that I wish somebody would make? Is on my list of romhacking ideas. Here it is:
13. A remake-port of Final Fantasy III (NES) to GBA using either the Final Fantasy I & II Dawn of Souls engine or the Final Fantasy IV Advance engine.

It would also be like somebody would finish the Final Fantasy III that Square-Enix cancelled for the Bandai Wonderswan Color.

Midna

• View Profile
« Reply #2952 on: June 30, 2016, 05:36:47 pm »
Heh? You mean the GBA remake?

No, what I mean is that it would be easier to do this hypothetical remake of III as a demake of the DS version rather than as a remake of the NES one, because the DS game (among other things like better music) uses actual characters that you assemble across the course of the game, as opposed to a team of four blank slates that you begin with.

Retrolife

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
« Reply #2953 on: July 02, 2016, 10:05:38 am »
I have an idea could somebody with skill do a Pokemon multi cart for Nes it'll have pokemon red,blue,yellow,and the 3 GBC color games all in one

or POkemon red/blue redone for nes using GBA gameplay

a great multi cart is 650 in one giving u all the games in one go

Midna

• View Profile
« Reply #2954 on: July 02, 2016, 04:25:43 pm »
What you're suggesting sounds more like homebrew than ROM hacking. I think you're better off asking somewhere else.

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #2955 on: July 02, 2016, 05:42:58 pm »
Another one ;)

It turns out Pikmin has a windows executable on the root of the disc that allows the game to be run in a debug state on a computer, a patch/modified exe that fixes the remaining bugs in this mode and makes it properly playable on a PC would be great.

https://tcrf.net/Pikmin/Windows_Executable
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NRxQW3IaNo
Sleepy's Tune of the week || Floor Baba - WIGGLECORE - https://youtu.be/qUeHc1QLxnU

Retrolife

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
« Reply #2956 on: July 03, 2016, 03:31:53 am »
a rom hack for multicart(give u the whole nes library in one go)650 in 1 no repeats or game mods
if somebody did this they'd make a killing also a famicome version 900 in 1 they have more games

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #2957 on: July 03, 2016, 01:33:55 pm »
I know I already complained about SF2, but more specifically, I think a hack that redid the format of the game and tweaked its plot a LITTLE could be a really amazing game.  Specific ideas (There are light spoilers ahead, FYI!):

--Plot is no longer told over a "generations" mechanic (which really, in retrospect, seems like it was forced).  Players choose 1 of 3-4 characters (I think Gustaf, Ginny, and maybe one of the generic diggers or other nobility), and all usable characters would be available to recruit during the course of the game.  Gameplay takes place during 1 time period, the final one.

--This isn't to say that the historical stories told wouldn't be a part of things, as I think using most of the historical plot in SF2 for Lore and background would be a better use of the better parts.  I think there's more than enough to use creatively here--I'd just like more of a focus on the era where most of the interesting stuff happens rather than the leadup, which tends to be pretty dull plot-wise.

--Since most of the SF2 cast has literally zero background other than as super generic archetypes, I feel like the hardest part of this would be writing in side stories that maybe gives you the excuse to recruit these people rather than just "I need more people in my party".  IMO there's a decent amount of lore to work with, and a relatively talented writer could probably make up some decent side-stories.  And dear god how hard would it be to give townspeople more than 1 line (the same line for ~70 years no less!)?

--Give access to areas in a traditionally SaGa way: once you unlock a locale, it becomes available to visit whenever (unless plot-specific things happen, like the mine cave-in).  I feel like this is the best way to take care of the "getting locked out of stuff" problem that plagues this game, especially regarding town services access.

--I think the plot towards the tale end (with The Egg, Edelritters, etc) could stay generally unchanged with more opportunities for enhancement:  I mean, other than the 1 Edelritter that actually gets face-time, who are the other 5, exactly?  I personally think there are a lot of chances for some very good reworkings here that definitely were not taken advantage of in the slightest.

The biggest problem (outside of actually hacking this game) would be the available materials in-game.  For a SaGa game, there seem to be surprisingly few locales and even those are relatively small!  This might have just been my perception being off, but I think to make this work, you might need to expand some dungeons or even manufacture entirely new ones--and with the unique art-style of this game, I'm not sure if that's doable.  But reusing certain dungeons that literally are only seen once in the original could probably work too. (if anyone knows about any unused resources on the disc, I'd definitely be interested to hear about it!)

Even if you don't change some of the game systems (which IMO have a huge amount of extra nonsense that could be consolidated too, especially regarding enemies), I think these admittedly large changes could really fix some of the biggest problems this game has while still maintaining what makes it good.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2958 on: July 03, 2016, 02:42:28 pm »
a rom hack for multicart(give u the whole nes library in one go)650 in 1 no repeats or game mods
if somebody did this they'd make a killing also a famicome version 900 in 1 they have more games
I don't see how this is different than a flash cart or multicarts on certain Chinese shopping sites.
(that's about all that can be said here, I think)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2959 on: July 03, 2016, 03:22:07 pm »
I don't see how this is different than a flash cart or multicarts on certain Chinese shopping sites.
(that's about all that can be said here, I think)

He probably just suggested it because he's a noob that has not yet discovered things such as flash carts.