News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 1973347 times)

gamerjohn1991

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #2520 on: January 30, 2016, 10:32:15 pm »
How about a hack/patch of Pokemon Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, FireRed, and LeafGreen with the following Gen V and Gen VI changes:

The addition of the Fairy-type (replaces the ???-type; is unaffected by Dragon-type; deals 2x damage to Fighting-types, Dragon-types, and Dark-types, despite none of the changed moves dealing damage; deals 0.5x damage to Fire-types, Poison-types, and Steel-types, despite none of the changed moves dealing damage; takes 0.5x damage from Fighting-types, Bug-types, and Dark-types; takes 2x damage from Poison-types and Steel-types).
Clefairy and Clefable are Fairy-types.
Jigglypuff and Wigglytuff are Normal/Fairy-types.
Mr. Mime is a Psychic/Fairy-type.
Cleffa is a Fairy-type.
Igglybuff is a Normal/Fairy-type.
Togepi is a Fairy-type.
Togetic is a Fairy/Flying-type.
Marill and Azumarill are Water/Fairy-types.
Snubbull and Granbull are Fairy-types.
Ralts, Kirlia, and Gardevoir are Psychic/Fairy-types.
Azurill is a Normal/Fairy-type.
Mawile is a Steel/Fairy-type.
Charm, Sweet Kiss, and Moonlight are Fairy-type moves.
Curse is a Ghost-type move.
All Pokemon names, option names, and item names have mostly lower-case letters except for the first letter in each Pokemon's name (I.E.: Mr. Mime instead of MR. MIME, DeepSeaTooth instead of DEEPSEATOOTH, ViceGrip instead of VICEGRIP, Save instead of SAVE, etc.).
Mawile's misspelling in its Pokemon Ruby entry (as well as its incorrect footprint) is corrected.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #2521 on: January 31, 2016, 05:06:10 pm »
How about a hack/patch of Pokemon Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, FireRed, and LeafGreen with the following Gen V and Gen VI changes:

The addition of the Fairy-type (replaces the ???-type; is unaffected by Dragon-type; deals 2x damage to Fighting-types, Dragon-types, and Dark-types, despite none of the changed moves dealing damage; deals 0.5x damage to Fire-types, Poison-types, and Steel-types, despite none of the changed moves dealing damage; takes 0.5x damage from Fighting-types, Bug-types, and Dark-types; takes 2x damage from Poison-types and Steel-types).
Clefairy and Clefable are Fairy-types.
Jigglypuff and Wigglytuff are Normal/Fairy-types.
Mr. Mime is a Psychic/Fairy-type.
Cleffa is a Fairy-type.
Igglybuff is a Normal/Fairy-type.
Togepi is a Fairy-type.
Togetic is a Fairy/Flying-type.
Marill and Azumarill are Water/Fairy-types.
Snubbull and Granbull are Fairy-types.
Ralts, Kirlia, and Gardevoir are Psychic/Fairy-types.
Azurill is a Normal/Fairy-type.
Mawile is a Steel/Fairy-type.
Charm, Sweet Kiss, and Moonlight are Fairy-type moves.
Curse is a Ghost-type move.
All Pokemon names, option names, and item names have mostly lower-case letters except for the first letter in each Pokemon's name (I.E.: Mr. Mime instead of MR. MIME, DeepSeaTooth instead of DEEPSEATOOTH, ViceGrip instead of VICEGRIP, Save instead of SAVE, etc.).
Mawile's misspelling in its Pokemon Ruby entry (as well as its incorrect footprint) is corrected.
Talking Pokemon, the hacking scene's done more than you ask.

1. My hacks do everything but the Fairy type idea and Curse being Ghost for Emerald and FireRed.  I don't really incorporate Fairy-Type into mine, because to get it to do much outside of natural type defenses I'd need to add some attack moves and probably add in damage split which would violate the hack's purpose.  Pokemon Throwback also exists for FR/LG, takes a different approach to what I did with FireRed 251.

2. MrDollSteak's attack and decap rombase does all this mentioned plus a truckload of moves from the new games without replacing.  Needs configuring by yourself though, one of these days when it's finished I may make a version of FR251 incorporating this, but I'm not making any promises.

3. There's a method for just about every version out there for Fairy-Type without replacing the ??? type (no need to be replaced really), if someone hasn't made a patch for it somewhere (I'm absolutely sure it exists where Pokemon hacks are common for everything but sapphire and LeafGreen because redundant) there's a tutorial for the DIY work.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 07:15:16 pm by Chronosplit »

AlexE

• 2D Animator | Musician | Let's Player
    • View Profile
    • Central Hub Website
« Reply #2522 on: January 31, 2016, 06:28:15 pm »
A complete hack of METAL GEAR or METAL GEAR 2: Snake's Revenge for the NES!
Featuring:
  • Slick new music jams (maybe with expansion audio?)
  • Great level design
  • Improved graphics
  • An engaging story
  • Fourth wall-breaking jokes
  • A more streamlined GUI
  • Improved enemy placement and AI
  • Hideo Kojima
  • A final boss with METAL GEAR instead of NOT METAL GEAR

It's a shame to see that there haven't been any hacks of Metal Gear and its sequel for the NES. I think they would make fantastic new games if they were given more love and care like the original MSX versions, and with the advent of emulation, the possibilities for improvement are more vast. The story could be an offshoot of the canon storyline, it could be a recreation of Metal Gear Solid, it could be an entirely different game with all-new characters! I don't know, but it would be super cool nonetheless.
ALEX E.
Animator | Musician | Let's Player
Looking for video game music (NES/Genesis/etc.)? Email me at adesyndicate@gmail.com!

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #2523 on: January 31, 2016, 06:50:51 pm »
There is someone making a graphical update here if you look around.

Personally I think hackers should work on the already better MSX games.
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #2524 on: January 31, 2016, 10:09:24 pm »
I think someone out there should mess with the idea of expanding Legend of Zelda OOT (N64), and upgrade the enemies to make them a bit more tougher. I always felt that OOT felt empty in certain places, and also considering when you get powerful enough that there is nothing else to challenge you at all. Also some environments feel like they need some decoration, and especially Hyrule Field.

Atm some temple ideas are already being rebooted through the now revived URA Zelda, and so some people will have to think of some other things.

Clippit

• View Profile
« Reply #2525 on: February 01, 2016, 03:40:36 am »
So there's this bug in Battletoads & Double Dragon's NES version where the game crashes on stage 5-2 in VirtuaNES, even when it's selected from the stage warps. I actually don't know if it happens in other emulators too, but it'd be cool if someone could check that out.
"I swear my victory to this feather!"

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
« Reply #2526 on: February 01, 2016, 08:01:59 am »
So there's this bug in Battletoads & Double Dragon's NES version where the game crashes on stage 5-2 in VirtuaNES, even when it's selected from the stage warps. I actually don't know if it happens in other emulators too, but it'd be cool if someone could check that out.
That's an emulator issue. Never heard of it though.

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #2527 on: February 01, 2016, 08:45:42 am »
A complete hack of METAL GEAR or METAL GEAR 2: Snake's Revenge for the NES!
Featuring:
  • Slick new music jams (maybe with expansion audio?)
  • Great level design
  • Improved graphics
  • An engaging story
  • Fourth wall-breaking jokes
  • A more streamlined GUI
  • Improved enemy placement and AI
  • Hideo Kojima
  • A final boss with METAL GEAR instead of NOT METAL GEAR

It's a shame to see that there haven't been any hacks of Metal Gear and its sequel for the NES. I think they would make fantastic new games if they were given more love and care like the original MSX versions, and with the advent of emulation, the possibilities for improvement are more vast. The story could be an offshoot of the canon storyline, it could be a recreation of Metal Gear Solid, it could be an entirely different game with all-new characters! I don't know, but it would be super cool nonetheless.
There's this hack in where the guy is making the NES version of Metal Gear more faithful to the MSX version.

EDIT: I really hope that once he's done with this one, he also does the same for Metal Gear 2: Snake's Revenge.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 12:14:20 pm by John Enigma »

might i share

• View Profile
« Reply #2528 on: February 03, 2016, 09:18:44 am »
I'm working on a whole video series about these kinds of ideas. I have videos up and there's more to come! Here's a link to it all: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gQETUteJZI&index=1&list=PLfS4eLLSi2cXvUFG4z50IDG78NOhWNoQw
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 07:31:29 pm by might i share »

jimstrom

• View Profile
« Reply #2529 on: February 03, 2016, 11:30:01 am »
I was watching Top Gear, and thought that now when the original trio is no longer on the show, how about a hack of the Top Gear game?

Some things that can be changed is:

Exchange the Title Music to a arranged version of Jessica.

Exhange the racer character to the Stig and one of his cousins as player 2

Change the speech bubbles to quotes from the show like "Oh Cock" "How hard could it be?" and "Pooooweeeer!"

talos91

• View Profile
« Reply #2530 on: February 04, 2016, 12:42:35 am »
Watching the shovel knight co-op mode inspired me and I really want to make a Megaman 3 or 6 (my favorite Megaman Classic games) hack with 2 player support on the same screen (or 4 players) similar to the ducktales 2 players hack or the rescue rangers nes game. What do you guys think? is it doable? Anyone wants to help? I am surprised no one has tried this.

SpRoUt

• View Profile
« Reply #2531 on: February 04, 2016, 03:53:56 pm »
You have the right idea. But on these forum's noone cares. But I do and there is many nes and snes games that need to be hacked more. Link to the past coop is the best idea you have posted if I had the skills I would work on that. But I have trouble patching roms so yea im not the guy. But hopefully the skilled ppl could make something like this happen for alot of games. It could truely be some of the best hacks ever. Only problem is the people with the skills might not have the skills you're looking for. All we can do is pray and hope a hero hacker or hackers will rise to this challenge.

talos91

• View Profile
« Reply #2532 on: February 04, 2016, 11:16:01 pm »
Yeah how awesome would it be to play all classic megaman games and link to the past in co-op, here hoping someone with the skills gets interested in this idea.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2533 on: February 04, 2016, 11:29:02 pm »
An interesting idea, but it will never happen...
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

Disch

• NES Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2534 on: February 05, 2016, 01:16:31 am »
*Shakes fist at ROM hack requests on a site dedicated to helping people learn how to ROM hack*

Step up, Talos.  Instead of trying to recruit someone to make this hack for you -- why not just learn to make it yourself?  Maybe this particular idea might be too difficult of a project to start with, but maybe you can start smaller and work your way up with the idea of this hack being your ultimate goal.

None of the 'skilled hackers' got to where they are by sitting around asking other people for hacks.  They got there by diving into a subject they didn't understand, and playing around with it until they understood it.

There are pages and pages and pages of docs to give a reference, better software than there has ever been before, and active forums where people are willing to answer questions and help you overcome hurdles.  There has never been a time where it was easier to get into ROM hacking than right now.  So just do it.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2535 on: February 05, 2016, 01:38:12 am »
None of the 'skilled hackers' got to where they are by sitting around asking other people for hacks.  They got there by diving into a subject they didn't understand, and playing around with it until they understood it.

My advice, never be afraid to break something. Files are easy to back-up and replace.
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

talos91

• View Profile
« Reply #2536 on: February 05, 2016, 04:24:46 am »
*Shakes fist at ROM hack requests on a site dedicated to helping people learn how to ROM hack*

Step up, Talos.  Instead of trying to recruit someone to make this hack for you -- why not just learn to make it yourself?.

FYI I never said anything about just wanting this hack to be made for me, just asked if anyone would be interested in helping with the project, never said anything about not wanting to learn to rom hack, seriously you know what people say about assuming......

Disch

• NES Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2537 on: February 05, 2016, 08:12:41 am »
Fair enough.  Perhaps I overreached, and I apologize for that.

But my main point stands regardless.  There are skilled hackers on this site who will help.  All you have to do is post a question or ask about a problem that you're experiencing and you'll likely you'll get a response from someone (few threads on this forum go by with 0 replies).  But you're going to have to be the one taking the initiative and doing the grunt-work.

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #2538 on: February 05, 2016, 11:47:01 am »
Super Mario Bros. 2 (SNES)
-On the fly character switching (select or l/r button)
-Update how you throw blocks/bombs so it's more like in SMB3, but still lets you throw exactly one tile's length if you're still.
-Relating to throws: You could fix how you can't throw bombs when standing too close to a wall/solid platform or down ladders (throwing down ladders can work if they go upwards past the platform you're throwing from but not otherwise)
-The super jump could be changed so you could charge it at any time with the l or r button but with some limitation like not being able to jump or pick stuff up while charging. Or the charge time could just be made a bit shorter. This would make the gameplay flow better.
-Combo bonuses (IIRC the GBA version had this? But it was a bit too easy to get a heart or star there)
-In terms of level design there could be better clues to where you should put the potion for some levels - For example in 3-1 where you fall down a pit to find a warp pot and need to hover with the princess over another pit to find a shortcut (can't see it without dying unless you're playing as her or as Luigi, though this wouldn't be a problem with on the fly char switching)
-Smooth vertical scrolling
-Remove enemies' ability to shoot you from off screen to avoid cheap hits
-Fix the issue where if you throw enemies when too close to the ground (during a jump to a higher platform for example) they stand up immediately
-Remove or shorten dead ends, also to improve gameplay flow
-Add counters for the hearts and stars so you know when you'll get one
-Fix how hearts spawn so they can't appear inside a wall and therefore be unreachable
-Make the hit detection less picky when digging in the sand
-Make red shells work like in the GBA game (damages the player on hit, bounces against walls)
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

SpRoUt

• View Profile
« Reply #2539 on: February 05, 2016, 06:59:15 pm »
Who will teach us the hack skills needed? We are noobs!!!!