News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 1984471 times)

johnny

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #2500 on: January 23, 2016, 11:38:02 am »
Super Skeleton Bros. (Undertale)

Take Mario's sprite change it to Sans. Take Luigi's sprite change it to Papyrus. Instead of fireballs, they toss out small bones that bounce. Goombas get changed to Moldsmal, Koopas get changed to Loox, Koopaparatoopas get changed to Astigmatism, Lakitu gets changed to Mettaton, Spiny Eggs get changed to inactive Mettaton spawn, Spinys get changed to small Mettatons (similar to the small ones fought in Undertale), Buzzy Beetles get changed to Final Froggits, Hammer Bros get changed to Knight Knights (throwing Morningstars), Bloopers get changed to Madjick, Cheep Cheeps get changed to Whimsalot, Podoboo gets changed to Pyrope, Bowser gets changed to Chara / Genocide Frisk and the fireballs become throwing Knives.

Now for the stages:

1 - 1 - Golden Flower patches

1 - 2 - Ruins

1 - 3 - Toriel's House

1 - 4 - Gateway

2 - 1 - Snowdin Forest

2 - 2 - Snowdin Puzzlelands

2 - 3 - Snowdin Town

2 - 4 - Papyrus's Foglands

3 - 1 - Papyrus's House

3 - 2 - Blue Soul's (Ballerina's) Hidden Cave

3 - 3 - Hotdog Stand (Waterfall Shops)

3 - 4 - So Sorry Hidden Place

4 - 1 - Waterfall Junkyard

4 - 2 - Napastablook's Farm

4 - 3 - Temmie Village

4 - 4 - Temmie's Shop

5 - 1 - Waterfall

5 - 2 - Echo Flower Fields

5 - 3 - Bridges / Monster Kid's hangout

5 - 4 - Gate to Hotland / Undyne's Post

6 - 1 - Hotland Lowlands

6 - 2 - Hotland Royal Guard Post

6 - 3 - Dr Alphas's Lab

6 - 4 - True Lab

7 - 1 - Hotland Midlands

7 - 2 - MTT resort

7 - 3 - Core

7 - 4 - Core Exit / Entrance to New Home

8 - 1 - Elevators (road to New Home)

8 - 2 - Asgore's Residence

8 - 3 - Garden / Tunnels / Barrier

8 - 4 - Nothingness (Chara's Empty World)

Powerups-

Mushroom - Plate of Pasta
Fire Flower - Bone Weapon
Starman -
1up - Human Soul
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 08:56:47 am by johnny »

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #2501 on: January 23, 2016, 10:27:37 pm »
Is there a site with more information of BoF2 bugs?

I only know of the game freezing after HighFort (the most dickish place for the game to crash!  >:D ) on the GBA version.
Google results have people only reporting it on VBA but I was playing on a real hardware (SP1). Too painful to play again. >:(

The most comprehensive list for the SNES version I've ever seen is the list in Ben Sirion's extra old, extra comprehensive guide.  In addition to certain attacks not having elements when they clearly are marked as having elements, after looking it over, another thing that always bothered me was that "holy defense" nonsense....because there is literally no enemy attack in the entire game that is holy-elemental.  There's a bunch of items that don't really do what they say (or much of anything), and some other quirks too.

I've never experienced the game freezing before thank god--Highfort is just s dickish portion of the game though.  Probably my least favorite part.

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #2502 on: January 24, 2016, 08:11:31 am »
Metroid II (GB)
-Open up the entire world after the first area. One way could be to make it possible but very hard to progress without the abilites you gain in the current area.
-Make it possible to teleport between save points.
-Speed up the jumps/falls, the spider ball's movement, and bomb detonation times a bit.
-Place the Space Jump in area 4 or 5 instead.
-Make level designs somewhat more compact and interconnected.
-Add a map like in Metroid Plus (NES) or Bisqwit's Simon's Quest hack.
-Remove a few of the easy Metroids to avoid repetition, and add weak spots to some of them like some regular enemies have. Perhaps one encounter in area 3 could combine two alpha metroids.
-Shorten the beeping sound when low on health.
-Make enemies not drop hp when you're already at max supply (same for ammo) and make all enemies able to drop either hp or ammo.
-Make metroids not go straight for you until they're dead (if possible they should move around off screen as well as on screen).
-Make metroid bosses not hang in mid-air and be invincible until you move closer to activate the fight (it gives off an unfinished vibe).
-Use some of the rare enemies more instead of repeating some types over and over.
-Add beam switching or combine later beams with the ice beam.
-Replace some of the ambient tracks for some areas with something more melodic and have the ambience track play only when near a boss.

Yes, I'm aware of AM2R. ;)

« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 03:34:30 pm by PresidentLeever »
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

TRIFORCE89

• View Profile
« Reply #2503 on: January 24, 2016, 12:31:13 pm »
Been playing some of Yoshi's Woolly World recently. Thought it'd be nice to play the original Yoshi's Island and be able to unlock the extra/special stages just by collecting 100% Flowers, as in Woolly World, instead of 100% everything as is the original SNES behaviour.

Another idea, for SNES Donkey Kong Country: porting the extended Winky's Walkway level layout and new Necky Nutmare level from the Game Boy Color  version of the game. These changes didn't even make it to the GBA versions
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 12:45:58 pm by TRIFORCE89 »

treos

• View Profile
« Reply #2504 on: January 24, 2016, 06:07:46 pm »
http://megaman.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Mega_Man_X3_music

maybe an audio related hack to swap the original music with the arranged version if possible? comparing the 2 versions from that page clearly shows the arranged is far superior quality to the original.

inceptionsucks

• View Profile
« Reply #2505 on: January 25, 2016, 10:09:30 am »
Here's some ideas about Castlevania: Bloodlines.

1. Allow good jump control just like in Super Castlevania 4.

2. Enable whipping in 8 directions.

3. Make it have unlimited continues.

azidahaka

• View Profile
« Reply #2506 on: January 25, 2016, 10:14:32 am »
First time i post in here i think  :o

Some ideas since i just finished Lufia and Lufia 2:

Lufia:

Graphical overaul to make it closer to Lufia 2 for example

lufia 1

lufia 2

Lufia 1-2
Translation fixes some were CRAZY like WAIBAN ->wyvern >_>

Lufia 2
fixing the broken text in some parts and in the "temple of garbled graphics"
decensorship (i think there's a patch already?)
Fixing Capsule Monsters requests back to Japanese game ones

I think there's some more but right now i can't think much about them :D It would be uber cool to have IP system in Lufia 1 but i do not think it's actually feasible, while the above i think are more or less doable?

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #2507 on: January 25, 2016, 12:19:26 pm »
I have some ideas for restorations and remakes:

1. Super Mario Advance (Super Mario Bros. 2 in USA; Super Mario USA in Japan) and Super Mario Advance 4 (Super Mario Bros. 3) should have its graphics (yes, graphics), levels, and everything restored closely to their NES versions. These two games should also have their versions restored to their Super Mario All-Stars (SNES) versions, because from what I've seen, they're not the same as the Super Mario Advance versions.

2. A remake of Yume Kojo: Doki Doki Panic! (Dream Factory: Heart-Pounding Panic!) using the Super Mario Advance engine. Everything (characters, enemies, bosses, menus, cutscenes, etc.) remade with the Super Mario Advance engine. As an added bonus, two extra things that I want for this hack: 1. A Famicom Disk System (or NES) version of the patch (similar to the ones that I mentioned for Super Mario Advance 1 and 4); 2. An NES-looking version of the original Mario Bros. minigame.

3. Metroid II: Return of Samus remade using the Metroid: Zero Mission engine, if it's possible. I know what you guys and gals are thinking: there's already an existing Metroid II remake, THAT ALSO USES METROID: ZERO MISSION ASSETS. I know. But I found out that this remake was being made for PC's. Funny story, because when I first saw some screenshots and a some gameplay videos, I thought it was a rom hack. But I was wrong. So I figured, "what if someone had the guts to remake Metroid II  for GBA"?

4. The same as the one above me but for Super Metroid. Yes, Super Metroid. Imagine that: Super Metroid remade using the Metroid: Zero Mission engine. Just the thought of playing Super Metroid on the go is awesome.

If I have some more ideas, I'll tell them later.

January 26, 2016, 02:21:36 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
BUMP. Another idea: remove the Four Swords partition of the GBA remake of The Legend Of Zelda: A Link To The Past.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 02:21:36 pm by John Enigma »

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #2508 on: January 26, 2016, 03:31:44 pm »
Update on Metroid 2 since some of my ideas have been done via codes, check gamehacking.org's retro hacking section):
Done: -Removed beeping sound when low on health.
Done: -Make enemies always drop hp or ammo when killed.
Semi-done (the first lava can be removed but you still have to kill all metroids to remove the barrier before area 10): Open up the entire world after the first area.
Done: Shorter bomb detonation time.
Done as a modifiable code: -Add beam switching

Here's some ideas about Castlevania: Bloodlines.

1. Allow good jump control just like in Super Castlevania 4.

2. Enable whipping in 8 directions.

3. Make it have unlimited continues.

I agree with 1 and 3 (I think there's already a GG code for 3 btw, check gamehacking.org), but 2 would make sub weapons much less useful and that would suck.

John Enigma: Can't you just use a remote desktop on PS Vita or something?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 03:37:22 pm by PresidentLeever »
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

inceptionsucks

• View Profile
« Reply #2509 on: January 26, 2016, 04:16:02 pm »
I agree with 1 and 3 (I think there's already a GG code for 3 btw, check gamehacking.org), but 2 would make sub weapons much less useful and that would suck.

I know but that's kinda the case with SC4. Less item requirement is bad on its own but i think having perfect whip control is worth it.
But yeah, 1 is more important than 2. I still refuse to play the game only because of these 3 huge flaws it has.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2510 on: January 26, 2016, 05:35:37 pm »
I love the whip in Castlevania IV. That's the way EVERY Castlevania with a whip should be because it makes no sense to only be able to whip in two directions. Not having this in the SNES Dracula X made the combat just as cheap as the first Castlevania. The backflip and item crash were pretty cool though.
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #2511 on: January 26, 2016, 06:27:29 pm »
I know but that's kinda the case with SC4. Less item requirement is bad on its own but i think having perfect whip control is worth it.
But yeah, 1 is more important than 2. I still refuse to play the game only because of these 3 huge flaws it has.

Well make that 2 since there's a code for 3. In SC4 they also forgot to balance many parts of the game around the 8-way targeting, letting you kill enemies safely from above or below. Sure, it feels great, but the game has to be built with it in mind. One thing all classic-vanias lack though, is a sub weapon inventory. Rondo of Blood was the first to provide a quick fix IIRC, making you drop the current weapon, but it's not optimal.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2512 on: January 26, 2016, 06:40:03 pm »
One thing all classic-vanias lack though, is a sub weapon inventory. Rondo of Blood was the first to provide a quick fix IIRC, making you drop the current weapon, but it's not optimal.

That's something I would like to have seen done like in Super Metroid. The rest of SM I would like to remain out of my Castlevanias though... :(
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #2513 on: January 26, 2016, 06:43:06 pm »
Yeah, +1 to that.

Just remembered this playthrough vid of SC4, without diagonal whipping (whenever possible)!  8)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5SQSXoDBgE#!

Atrushan

• View Profile
« Reply #2514 on: January 26, 2016, 08:30:32 pm »
Digimon World 2, Change DNA Digivolution so that it works upwards instead of downwards, and requires digimon to be at their max level in order to DNA Digivolve. Also if a digimon is at their max level and can't digivolve with the normal digivolution option, they'll digivolve down a stage, and it'll raise their level cap similar to how DNA digivolution does. Also might be wise to remove the level cap raise when DNA digivolving since they're going up instead of down, so that they can only raise their level cap by digivolving something down at it's max level. Maybe also changing the enemy party formations around so that some more desired digimon aren't available until later.

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #2515 on: January 26, 2016, 09:58:41 pm »
John Enigma: Can't you just use a remote desktop on PS Vita or something?
Wait, what? Why you say that?

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #2516 on: January 27, 2016, 02:09:29 pm »
Wait, what? Why you say that?

Well I haven't looked into it, but AM2R is for PC and some portable consoles can use a remote desktop to emulate a PC.

Edit:
Sonic 2 (MD)
-Make Tails stay on screen.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 08:43:20 pm by PresidentLeever »

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #2517 on: January 30, 2016, 05:01:09 pm »
You know how in Final Fantasy Tactics, you either have the choice of a poor localization or a ye olde englishe one that may or may not tickle your fancy?  I wish someone would make a middle road between the two on the PS1 version text-wise.  It doesn't need to necessarily be a full retranslation, maybe something more to the tune of Ted Woolsey Uncensored where the nuance is preserved.  Also fix a couple of the bugs in there (they're admittedly few, and all the relevant SNAFUs are fixed via FFTorgASM's stuff.)

I've fiddled around with the tools, items and spell names are easy as well as bugfixing and little things (these names don't need to go WOTL fully, I've gone with basing them on a mix between FFV Advance, FFT Advance, and WOTL) but I don't think I quite have the skill or time to text fix all the dialog and make sure it works correctly.  Especially when the text editor can only be used to patch once.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 05:07:18 pm by Chronosplit »

3lric

• View Profile
« Reply #2518 on: January 30, 2016, 05:28:32 pm »
(they're admittedly few, and all the relevant SNAFUs are fixed via FFTorgASM's stuff.)
FFTorgASM only applies ASMs

I've fiddled around with the tools, items and spell names are easy as well as bugfixing and little things (these names don't need to go WOTL fully, I've gone with basing them on a mix between FFV Advance, FFT Advance, and WOTL) but I don't think I quite have the skill or time to text fix all the dialog and make sure it works correctly.  Especially when the text editor can only be used to patch once.

You can patch the text as many times as you want, I'm curious how you came to the conclusion that you couldn't. There is also a new Text Editor that was released several weeks ago to make things much much easier.

Your main issue would be that event text isn't edited that way, it's done via event editing. The tools for which can be found on FFH. Which means you'd have to rewrite the event dialogue for 200 some-odd events. Certainly not -hard- to do, but it would be very tedious and take several weeks just to insert it all and get it working most likely (when I say weeks, I mean everyday at 4-5 hours a day, with a fair understanding of how events are compiled.)

Hope this sheds some light on this. I'm one of the Admins at Final Fantasy Hacktics and the creator of Journey of the Five, in case you need any credibility for my above claims.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 05:39:19 pm by 3lric »

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #2519 on: January 30, 2016, 06:10:55 pm »
You can patch the text as many times as you want, I'm curious how you came to the conclusion that you couldn't. There is also a new Text Editor that was released several weeks ago to make things much much easier.

Your main issue would be that event text isn't edited that way, it's done via event editing. The tools for which can be found on FFH. Which means you'd have to rewrite the event dialogue for 200 some-odd events. Certainly not -hard- to do, but it would be very tedious and take several weeks just to insert it all and get it working most likely (when I say weeks, I mean everyday at 4-5 hours a day, with a fair understanding of how events are compiled.)

Yeah, my doubts were mostly event text.  Thanks a bunch for that, I'll take a look into all this.  There's a lot I'd need to learn.

Most of what's hindering me is indeed time.  As you had mentioned it's a very involved project (as most hacking is when it involves dialog in general.) If I were to do it I would also like to do the text comparisons proper between all versions that exist, just to make sure I got it right.  Personally my free time gets ever smaller, so I'm not completely sure if I could commit enough to it until I've done the last parts of my Emerald hacking, honestly. >.<

(BTW, Journey of the Five sounds like something really fun, I'd like to try sooner or later!)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 06:30:31 pm by Chronosplit »