News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 1973321 times)

John Enigma

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #2460 on: January 07, 2016, 09:17:48 pm »
How could the localization team have ever thought that their title art was in any way better than the original?
I'm sorry, what?

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #2461 on: January 07, 2016, 10:29:25 pm »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but did the original Japanese NES DQ4 have a subtitle?  Or the "traditional" DQ banner in it's title screen?  I think that's what's confusing SGP--you kind of suggested that was the way the original Japanese NES version's title looked, when I don't think it was.

I actually don't think that particular banner was used ingame until DQ5, and I think that might've also been when they started putting subtitles in the games too.  I don't recall the NES DQ's getting subtitles until they were remade, but I might be totally wrong on both counts, as I've only ever played the US versions.

Just to be clear though---the replacement title banner looks pretty amazing.  Only thing I could add would be to move it slightly downward to accommodate my spacing OCD.

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #2462 on: January 07, 2016, 11:24:24 pm »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but did the original Japanese NES DQ4 have a subtitle?  Or the "traditional" DQ banner in it's title screen?  I think that's what's confusing SGP--you kind of suggested that was the way the original Japanese NES version's title looked, when I don't think it was.

I actually don't think that particular banner was used ingame until DQ5, and I think that might've also been when they started putting subtitles in the games too.  I don't recall the NES DQ's getting subtitles until they were remade, but I might be totally wrong on both counts, as I've only ever played the US versions.

Just to be clear though---the replacement title banner looks pretty amazing.  Only thing I could add would be to move it slightly downward to accommodate my spacing OCD.
You're right. Sorry. But still, do you think it's possible?

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2463 on: January 07, 2016, 11:59:15 pm »

The Famicom boxes had subtitles starting with DQ2. DQ1 and 2 had the Dragon Quest logo title screen. Oddly enough, the Famicom version of DQ3 didn't have a proper title screen. Just a screen with the title in plain text. :P
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #2464 on: January 08, 2016, 08:53:50 am »
The Famicom boxes had subtitles starting with DQ2. DQ1 and 2 had the Dragon Quest logo title screen. Oddly enough, the Famicom version of DQ3 didn't have a proper title screen. Just a screen with the title in plain text. :P

Funny you should mention that bit about DQ3--because from all I can find, the original Famicom DQ4 only has that shiny "IV" on a black background for a title screen...which seems pretty ridiculous too.

The original DQ1 and DQ2 title banners look great though--I'd actually be curious to hear why Enix stopped using those until the SNES versions...and why the hell I didn't get them as a kid!

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #2465 on: January 08, 2016, 08:57:46 am »
So...

No title screen hacks, right?

I'm just askin' here.

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2466 on: January 08, 2016, 09:01:39 am »
Blast Corps (Nintendo 64): A hack that would restore all the unused content back to the game and it would also make some of the later levels a little easier to beat, especially Diamond Sands. Here's info about the unused content: https://tcrf.net/Blast_Corps

Bangai-O (Sega Dreamcast): A hack that would make the American, European and Japanese versions compatible with the VGA output. I also want to see a hack for the American version that would restore all the stuff that got censored back to their original uncensored format as well.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 08:17:03 pm by SCD »

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #2467 on: January 09, 2016, 01:54:35 am »
In general, the Dragon Quest series had a major problem with the title logos taking a heavy hit during localization during the NES years. The screens themselves were generally a lot nicer, yes, but the logos were pretty much only the game's name in some stock font.

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #2468 on: January 09, 2016, 09:50:47 am »
So...

No title screen hacks, right?

I'm just askin' here.

I'm sure you could do it--there are plenty of title screen hacks around on this site.  I'm probably the last person to ask how to do it though, if that's what you'd want help with.

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #2469 on: January 09, 2016, 10:45:23 am »
Is just that I don't have experince in ROM hacking at all, let alone changing the graphics of an old game.

Why do you think I submitted the conceptual idea here?

KillerBob

• View Profile
« Reply #2470 on: January 09, 2016, 07:34:03 pm »
Restore the game features that were cut in FFIII (SNES). Most importantly, the ability to see the amount of your inventory in the equipment and accessories menus:

In a game where you spend quite a lot of time in those menus due to the large cast of characters, its removal hurt the gameplay quite a bit.

Restore the three column magic menus and two column item menus for quick navigation in battle. The swordtech renamer, controller customization and enemy counter would be nice to have restored as well.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2471 on: January 09, 2016, 10:12:15 pm »
Looks like the problem is screen space. Where do you plan to put that removed info? :P
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

KillerBob

• View Profile
« Reply #2472 on: January 09, 2016, 11:45:20 pm »
Looks like the problem is screen space. Where do you plan to put that removed info? :P
Well, screen space is obviously a problem but if you would treat equipment names like the localization did for FFIV like "[knife icon]Thief" instead of typing the full name it may work. It's not like they completely avoided abbreviations despite going from eight to twelve characters anyway.

spiffy

• View Profile
« Reply #2473 on: January 10, 2016, 07:36:53 pm »
A hack for Spyro 3: Year of the Dragon that changes the maximum completion percentage in the Atlas from 117% to 120% (similar to the final possible tally for the first game), corrects the final totals for certain levels/categories to better reflect their actual endgame states (eg. 20000/20000 total pieces of treasure instead of 20000/150000, 150/150 dragon eggs instead of 150/148) and reverts the font color of the affected levels/categories in the Atlas back to the standard completion-signifying gold.

Even the updated NTSC Greatest Hits re-release of the game failed to rectify this, and damn me if the game just feels slightly less polished because of it.

chevkraken

• View Profile
« Reply #2474 on: January 10, 2016, 09:00:35 pm »
Hello, some times ago, I played 2 japanese PSP games, Shining Blade and Shining Ark.

they were the long awaited return of the Shining serie in the tactical RPG genre, updating the Shining force gameplay with Valkyria Chronicles system.

the gameplay of the two games are excellent but have a enormous problem. the lack of difficulty who ruin the experience especially in Shining blade(this is sad as Shining blade is really the new Shining Force of the serie and have a fan translation in script).

My idea is to try to hack the two game and change some stat to increase the difficulty.

If I have no knowledge in Rom hacking but I have played each game 3 times for 100 hours long party with different style of gameplay each time.
I have a very good knowledge of the battle system and have good idea of what sould be needed to ajust.

I assume hack the AI should be too complex(it's sad as Shining blade AI is really lame), so my idea should be minimum.

-No XP as reward at the end of the battle (and only XP by killing monster like in the old shining force games)
-power of every attack of the playable character divised by 2

Do you think something like that could be possible? I hope, so, because it would turn 2 decent game to some of the best tactical RPG ever

« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 10:20:09 pm by chevkraken »

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #2475 on: January 10, 2016, 10:54:36 pm »
Is my request still up? I don't want to sound pushy. Is just that I didn't get a clear answer.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2476 on: January 10, 2016, 11:00:03 pm »
Is my request still up? I don't want to sound pushy. Is just that I didn't get a clear answer.

This isn't so much a request thread as it is the dumpster for everyone's random ideas that they either don't feel like or can't make happen themselves so that the site doesn't get clogged up with this sort of thing. There are some good ideas here though.
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

Grandpaf

• View Profile
« Reply #2477 on: January 11, 2016, 02:03:22 pm »
Feels good to stop lurking and posting my first replay :P

As for the hack idea, Might & Magic on the NES may be the best port so far, but its so broke its barely playable because of two flat out oversights:

1- I mean, the AC/Defense stat doesn't seem to work and enemies ALWAYS* hit you whatever you're naked or not.*Basic Accuracy seems to work OK but neither damage or Hit% are mitigated by AC like it supposed to be.
2- Agility stat. As far as I know, I don't think enemies are supposed to have multiple turn before you do. If its working as it should... some monsters should not have so many turns that you can't even damage them before they rip you to shreds (Locust plague). Battle start -> Locust plague appears -> they constantly attack you until your dead. Yeah, until you're dead. So, if Locust plague bugs make surprise attack, you're game over instantly.

Would be so nice that someone could fix those bugs  :'(
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 02:10:05 pm by Grandpaf »
La forĂȘt... en pleine Beauce

Atrushan

• View Profile
« Reply #2478 on: January 11, 2016, 07:07:10 pm »
Breath of Fire 3 hack, where EVERY character is a blank slate in terms of skills, which are either ALL learned through enemies or masters. Make some of the lesser masters more useful to add to the whole making your characters your way(through stat enhancements, etc). Still keep the characters having their own stat bonuses to make them what they originally are though, so that Nina for example could still be a stronger mage than say, Rei, if built the same way, but yeah. Honestly for this hack idea it'd probably even be fine just removing every character's skills and making them learnable through masters/monsters. Though honestly I think that might be difficult to do but who knows.

I really do hope someone picks up that Xenosaga idea though, it might actually make me able to stand to play it through, lol. I actually got cheat engine and tried to find the values but I wasn't even able to find the character base stats, which, yeah I'm not familiar at all with hacking when it doesn't involve game-specific tools, lol. I've also noticed there are literally NO PS2 hacks in the database, is there a reason?

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #2479 on: January 13, 2016, 10:39:05 am »
I've also noticed there are literally NO PS2 hacks in the database, is there a reason?

I believe it's because hacking PS2 games is so much work normally that it's almost more useful to just build your own game for the most part.  This is probably partly because while PS2 emulation has advanced pretty far, it still isn't even close to as refined as the older systems are at this point.

There are more than a couple PS2 translation patches if you're up for those (I'm always willing to plug the Phantasy Star Generation 2 translation, and if you're up for some punishment, the Phantasy Star Gen 1 translation is there too--but only use Vivify's translation for that one, it's easier on the eyes).