News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 1959735 times)

johnny

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #2340 on: October 28, 2015, 10:42:36 pm »
Here's an idea that I know would be a huge undertaking, but worth it IMO. A linear Castlevania II. Make the game more like others in the series with actual bosses but have the storytelling be told as you move from town to town.

Or the opposite of that which could be a non-linear Contra game with a Metroidvania feel. Make the game unlike no other Contra game in the series with all side scrolling areas and no overhead areas. This would be an even bigger undertaking though than what you're talking about. Storytelling, dialogue and NPCs can be introduced along the way.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2341 on: October 28, 2015, 10:52:29 pm »
Are you asking for NPCs in a Contra game?!
That's not the "if it moves, it dies" action of the original. :P

Although with how Konami is doing these days, you could probably pitch that idea to them. ;D
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Tramsam500

• View Profile
« Reply #2342 on: October 30, 2015, 02:27:53 am »
Could someone change the title screen of the Nes Rom translation Motocross Champion to read Excitebike 2? It's being sold CIB as Excitbike 2 but the title screen wasn't changed and I want to have mine read the proper title. A lead of who to ask to just change my copy would be fine also.

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2343 on: October 30, 2015, 09:59:40 am »
Super C (NES): A hack that would change the 10 lives code back to a 30 lives code.

Earthworm Jim (Sega Genesis): A hack that would add the new animations, sound effects, levels, the homing missile weapon and the password system from the Sega CD version to this version.

Streets of Rage (Sega Genesis): A hack that would give Onihime & Yasha their own unique sprites to make them look more like their Sega Master System counterparts and it would also add the exclusive boss from the SMS version to round 6 as the main boss of that stage as well.

Super Smash Bros. (Nintendo 64): A hack that would restore the Japanese sound effects that was taken out of the American version back to it and it would also add the three characters that Sakurai wanted to add in the first game but he couldn’t because of time constraints as well: Bowser, King Dedede and Mewtwo.

WWF Smackdown! 2: Know Your Role (Sony PlayStation): A hack that would do all this to it:

Add Big Show and Ken Shamrock to the roster.
Change Kane's attire so he's wearing his new attire.
Give Undertaker his American Badass by Kid Rock song for his entrance theme.
Add blood to the game.
Restore these heads for the Create-A-Wrestler mode: https://tcrf.net/WWF_SmackDown!_2:_Know_Your_Role!#Removed.2FHidden_Create-A-Wrestler_Heads
Add the sports car from the European version to the American version: https://tcrf.net/WWF_SmackDown!_2:_Know_Your_Role!#Regional_Differences
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 11:09:58 pm by SCD »

dougeff

• View Profile
« Reply #2344 on: October 30, 2015, 01:03:11 pm »
Re:Super C
Game Genie Code found on Internet - Activating The 10 Lives Cheat Will Give You 30 Lives   IOXVZSPE

(I didn't try it to see if it works).
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES

Synnae

• View Profile
« Reply #2345 on: October 30, 2015, 07:14:18 pm »
This is an idea I had in mind for a while but never posted.

Have anyone thought of making a hack of the original SNES Final Fantasy IV with the NDS version's mechanics? The monsters' stats and battle scripts would be exactly the same as their NDS counterparts (that means we'd see stuff like Dr. Lugae using his Reverse Gas attack on the SNES version!) The game overall would have the enhanced difficulty of the NDS version, making it more challenging.

Would it be a doable hack to do? or borderline impossible?

Maeson

• View Profile
« Reply #2346 on: October 30, 2015, 07:41:07 pm »
Are you asking for NPCs in a Contra game?!
That's not the "if it moves, it dies" action of the original. :P

Although with how Konami is doing these days, you could probably pitch that idea to them. ;D

Only if the Npcs are Pachinko Machines.

And some of them have Erotic Violence (I still facepalm at that one).
I'm off for some time. If for some weird, strange, and important reason, you need to talk to me, just send me a PM and probably I'll read it whenever I come back.

SCD

• SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2347 on: October 30, 2015, 10:15:19 pm »
Re:Super C
Game Genie Code found on Internet - Activating The 10 Lives Cheat Will Give You 30 Lives   IOXVZSPE

(I didn't try it to see if it works).

I added the code to the ROM and tested it on a emulator, it works perfectly. Thank you for sharing that game genie code.

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #2348 on: October 31, 2015, 09:25:10 am »
This is an idea I had in mind for a while but never posted.

Have anyone thought of making a hack of the original SNES Final Fantasy IV with the NDS version's mechanics? The monsters' stats and battle scripts would be exactly the same as their NDS counterparts (that means we'd see stuff like Dr. Lugae using his Reverse Gas attack on the SNES version!) The game overall would have the enhanced difficulty of the NDS version, making it more challenging.

Would it be a doable hack to do? or borderline impossible?

It seems doable enough to me, assuming there's a way to edit battle scripts (don't know if FFH4ckster has that capability). Keep in mind that the rebalanced battles are one of the biggest criticisms of the remake, though - because how dare people be forced to use strategy and not just button-mash their way through the game!

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2349 on: October 31, 2015, 02:41:31 pm »
Only if the Npcs are Pachinko Machines.

And some of them have Erotic Violence (I still facepalm at that one).
Just so you know, Pachinko Machines, Pachislot and Mobile games are almost as profitable or maybe more than console games. Besides, SEGA and Nintendo had worked in Pachinko/Pachislot machines before and I see no one joking about them.

On a serious note, suggestion for anyone who played Undertale and want to hax a game: Blues Brothers into Bones Brothers.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2350 on: October 31, 2015, 04:20:16 pm »
Just so you know, Pachinko Machines, Pachislot and Mobile games are almost as profitable or maybe more than console games. Besides, SEGA and Nintendo had worked in Pachinko/Pachislot machines before and I see no one joking about them.

That's because SEGA and Nintendo didn't abandon the good stuff to work on this junk.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 04:35:43 pm by SunGodPortal »
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

Midna

• View Profile
« Reply #2351 on: October 31, 2015, 04:54:27 pm »
On a serious note, suggestion for anyone who played Undertale and want to hax a game: Blues Brothers into Bones Brothers.

This would be a clever idea if the only Blues Brothers games out there weren't terrible.

There's a hack of Knuckles Chaotix that replaces Mighty the Armadillo with Sonic. I'm not sure how easy it would be to do this, but how about an Undertale-themed hack of that game (with Sans in the title role, maybe Papyrus as Vector, other UT characters filling the other slots)?

Maeson

• View Profile
« Reply #2352 on: October 31, 2015, 05:09:39 pm »

Thanks, but I already know how profitable are they. So much that I find it even scary. They give Konami much more money than their video game business (Maybe because they don't do as much as before, I don't know). Most of Konami's focus is around that, and gyms.

As a company, I understand why Konami went that route, but as a video game developer/publisher it makes me incredibly sad.

...Even when they abandoned most of their franchises looong time ago... And most of the people that made Konami great abandoned ship years ago...

And I don't know about Sega, but I see jokes with Nintendo's Love hotels and that was decades ago.

About the Blue Brothers games, were any good? I only read bad opinions about them, but I never played them.

-Edit- Ok, Midna answered the question for me, lol. Thanks, Twili-Based Ninja.
I'm off for some time. If for some weird, strange, and important reason, you need to talk to me, just send me a PM and probably I'll read it whenever I come back.

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #2353 on: November 01, 2015, 11:45:50 am »
Hi

Nice work, but you should post a new thread about your project in the ROM Hacking Discussion section or Personal Projects section, since this thread is just for ideas by people who don't know hacking. :)
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

Fellowzdoomer

• View Profile
« Reply #2354 on: November 01, 2015, 10:32:45 pm »
I have an idea: a Mega Man 2 hack, alright? This is a simplistic hack: have a weapon select screen just like Mega Man 4/5, and weapon select with "SELECT." I'm not sure how much coding this would need, the ROM would either have to be expanded or a lot of code would have to be NOP'd.

Following on Mega Man 2 hacks, how about a hack that's like the video "Mega Man Vs. Met?" This hack might be easier. You start as usual, Rock is overlooking Megalopolis, wondering where Dr. Wily put his NES console and whatnot, and pressing START would have a Mettool shoot Rock. Since we can safely have two stages only (one for the title, one for the building), we'd have space for new weapons. Impossible? Or very hard to do?

And in real life events, I'm waiting for a Mega Man hack that has a "Let's Go Mets!" sign with a Metool underneathit:p

Midna

• View Profile
« Reply #2355 on: November 02, 2015, 03:10:10 am »
How about hacking the differences from the Japanese versions of the first two Mario & Luigi games into the international games (changed stats on most things, heart blocks and different Bowser sprites in the first game, moved save points and counterattacks in the second, music box over "The End", etc.)?

SCD

• SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2356 on: November 02, 2015, 03:30:06 am »
How about hacking the differences from the Japanese versions of the first two Mario & Luigi games into the international games (changed stats on most things, heart blocks and different Bowser sprites in the first game, moved save points and counterattacks in the second, music box over "The End", etc.)?

I wouldn't mind seeing that done to the international versions of both games, including restoring the unused Starbeans cameos for the first game as well.

Maeson

• View Profile
« Reply #2357 on: November 02, 2015, 03:41:25 am »

Now that you mention it, a harder SuperStar Saga would be great... It became one of my favourite games all around, but it's too easy for me after so many playthroughs.

Hmm...

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #2358 on: November 02, 2015, 10:54:37 pm »
Now that someone's gone through all the hard work of making a proper PS2 PS2 translation, someone hopping in and fixing some of the ridiculous eventing would be appreciated (I'm thinking the entire leadup to the jet scooter FYI---honestly took me over a day to figure out I had to talk to almost everyone in one specific town multiple times to trigger a reaction I needed--with multiple times entering/exiting the town too)

And make robots more mortal.  Dear god just fix the robots.

tryphon

• View Profile
« Reply #2359 on: November 03, 2015, 01:37:39 am »
Believe it or not, but editing the events of the game is much harder than making the various hacks used by the translation (and it was already hard to begin with).

Editing ennemies' stats should be quite easy though.