News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 1959721 times)

Lilinda

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #2320 on: October 21, 2015, 04:22:35 am »
Deleted Anapan's post.

Don't make offers to buy IPS patches and ROM hacking work, folks.
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

Anapan

• View Profile
« Reply #2321 on: October 21, 2015, 04:27:45 am »
Noted.  my bad.  srry.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 04:35:47 am by Anapan »

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2322 on: October 22, 2015, 04:44:47 pm »
Idea for Sonic hacks: Add an Oxygen Gauge that allows us to see how much time we have left underwater.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #2323 on: October 22, 2015, 07:08:34 pm »
I suppose it is a reasonable request for a hack and if you are one of the unfortunates that can not play with sound it might even be marginally helpful. I just watched https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdRBVdOAnf0 though and even without the sound and audio cues you do have the 5 seconds on screen countdown and there is an onscreen level timer at all times that people you reference off.

It would be a nice little learning hack for the megadrive stuff but from a gameplay improvement perspective I am not really seeing it.

I even looked at sonic adventure and it had something similar.

johnny

• View Profile
« Reply #2324 on: October 23, 2015, 09:12:28 am »
Fix the player mechanics and make graphical improvements in Ghoul School. More musical selections too. The game just seems very awkward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDOz3kyAbTc

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #2325 on: October 23, 2015, 12:22:17 pm »
Duck Tales 2 Deluxe 2013: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1670/

I'd love to see an update to this russian hack that translates it into english and irons out some of the more frustrating parts.
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

johnny

• View Profile
« Reply #2326 on: October 24, 2015, 12:39:49 pm »
Change that god awful music in the Palace of Dorago in Rygar.

Chpexo

• View Profile
« Reply #2327 on: October 24, 2015, 03:23:33 pm »
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 11:59:52 am by Chpexo »

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #2328 on: October 24, 2015, 07:32:46 pm »
If anyone was up for the slog that is PS2 hacking, somehow removing the turn limits for quests in Unlimited Saga would be AMAZINGLY useful.

NES Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #2329 on: October 25, 2015, 06:58:44 am »
I'd like to see someone update the Animal Crossing trophies in Super Smash Bros. Melee:
  • Change the textures of the Tom Nook and Mr. Resetti trophies so they match the GameCube version of Animal Crossing. Specifically, Nook's apron needs to be changed to the leaf symbol, and Resetti should be wearing his overalls.
  • Rename the Totakeke trophy to K.K. Slider.
  • Change "Future Release" to "Animal Crossing 9/02" (10/03 for Oceania, 9/04 for Europe).

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #2330 on: October 25, 2015, 10:17:15 pm »
StarTropics (NES)
Good game that I think would play much better without the movement delay from turning around. So that's my request, a hack or code that removes it.

Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #2331 on: October 25, 2015, 11:15:32 pm »
StarTropics (NES)
Good game that I think would play much better without the movement delay from turning around. So that's my request, a hack or code that removes it.

OMG YES.  Maybe I'd actually be able to get past Chapter 3 without cheating for a change.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2332 on: October 26, 2015, 12:55:25 am »
If I'm remembering the game right, isn't the movement delay kind of helpful for the platforming elements?
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #2333 on: October 26, 2015, 10:15:34 am »
That's probably the idea, but you have some timing leeway already, without the delay. Maybe tricky platforming would require better reflexes, but it would certainly help with combat and basic navigation.

Fellowzdoomer

• View Profile
« Reply #2334 on: October 26, 2015, 08:37:19 pm »
So I have a question regarding Mega Man 1 hacking. I have slight experience in 6502 ASM (by slight I mean I can display a sprite using nesasm :-D too low? D:) and I was wondering: if I wanted to add a couple of stages to MM1,how many pointers would have to be changed? Maybe a code snippet for me to learn from to see how the stage select data works. I know I'dhave to add the TSA values and respective banks, but other than level data, would anything else be severely nmessed up? Also if I were to add a couple of new songs...is any of this possible? I think it's simple for those who know more ASM than me, haha :-) Anyway... Thanks in advance!

dougeff

• View Profile
« Reply #2335 on: October 26, 2015, 09:19:30 pm »
@fellowzdoomer
This question should really be in a separate thread... Like in the newbie help section...actually. I have no patience. I'll start it for you...http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,20620.0.html
(Doug plays moderator for a day ;) )
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 09:30:47 pm by dougeff »
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES

Fellowzdoomer

• View Profile
« Reply #2336 on: October 27, 2015, 06:24:22 am »
Sorry :-( And Thanks! :-D

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #2337 on: October 27, 2015, 09:04:56 am »
Here's an idea that I know would be a huge undertaking, but worth it IMO. A linear Castlevania II. Make the game more like others in the series with actual bosses but have the storytelling be told as you move from town to town.

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #2338 on: October 27, 2015, 10:08:02 am »
^Agreed. Didn't someone already hack the game to have much more interesting bosses or am I remembering a fan game instead? I can't remember what the video I saw was called but it looked very promising. I think you would also have to add some level gimmicks and enemies to make it on par with CV1 & 3 though.

---
Willow (NES)
Another good ARPG/AA that I'm surprised that there are almost no hacks for. The first thing I'd change about it is to make the world more compact, removing most of the dead space, dead ends, and empty houses throughout. The second would be to change any cheap spawning points like narrow paths where you can't avoid taking hits from enemies. Then I'd try to rebalance the game a bit, for example so that enemies like skeletons are worth fighting and so that some bosses are more challenging.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #2339 on: October 27, 2015, 06:43:15 pm »
Here's an idea that I know would be a huge undertaking, but worth it IMO. A linear Castlevania II. Make the game more like others in the series with actual bosses but have the storytelling be told as you move from town to town.

I have been sitting on a design document I made for just such a project. I set it up in a way that requires 2 paths to be taken in order to experience all of the game's levels and 2 play-throughs in order to see all the variations in content and get the true ending. It's sort of the same idea as Ghosts 'n' Goblins but without the repetition.

When I finish my current work on my platforming engine for Game Maker Studio this is one of the first ideas I want to tackle.