News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2100045 times)

tcaud

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #2280 on: October 05, 2015, 04:40:41 am »
I like hacks where the experience is doubled. Recently edited Chrono Trigger enemy stats to double tp rewards and increase exp by 50%. Makes the game play quicker without the grinding. Alternatively, would like to see tools which simply do blanket adjustments to battle rewards (by patching the award algorithms themselves).

Foonshanks

• View Profile
« Reply #2281 on: October 05, 2015, 07:00:17 am »
River city Ransom, but Clockwork Orange. The lead character is already Alex after all! Have all the characters speaking the Nadsat speak. Preferably the Pc engine version as the graphics are much better.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2282 on: October 05, 2015, 04:19:31 pm »
Recently edited Chrono Trigger enemy stats to double tp rewards and increase exp by 50%. Makes the game play quicker without the grinding.

There's not need for it. Just be a man on your first run and then on subsequent runs start a New Game + like everybody else. :P
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

dougeff

• View Profile
« Reply #2283 on: October 05, 2015, 05:24:03 pm »
Clockwork Orange Ransom

I could see that. I like that idea.
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2284 on: October 05, 2015, 08:38:41 pm »
Here's a wicked idea I had for Mario Games: a hack for each Super Mario Bros that adds a BAD ENDING. How? Here's how: As you play a stage, the time spent to complete it counts to a Total Timer. If the Total Timer exceeds a certain value, you get a bad ending, where Toad warns you that "Princess Peach is nowhere to be found. If you were just a bit faster..." and then sends you ALL the way back to the start. Perhaps this kind of hack could have three versions:
  • Original: As described above, your total time counts through lives, so failing a stage after 200 seconds will still add those 200 seconds to the TOTAL.
  • Normal: This one would count the time lost ONLY if you COMPLETE the stage.
  • Easy: The easy version would only require you to redo stages where you lost too much time, rather than redo the entire games

Warps would instantly deny players a good ending (except in the Easy Version). Skipping a stage (Cloud in SMB3, alternate routes that aren't through Star Road or Warp Whistle in SMW or SMB3) would not affect the timer and would be encouraged.

CyberFox

• View Profile
« Reply #2285 on: October 08, 2015, 01:10:22 am »
Overhack of Mega Man 2 featuring Commander Video

The Idea: Commander Video goes on adventure and use his skills to stop 4 powerful robots and a evil robo-wizard that made them

pablitox

• View Profile
« Reply #2286 on: October 08, 2015, 01:33:26 pm »
Hi there, I'm looking for an asm hacker tohelp us in the summon night craftsword monogatari: hajimari no ishi translation attempt.

Translation is completed already, script insertion is actually a thing now thanks to our programmer (I can send you a few pictures) and ghanmi's taking care of the graphics. We are using dual-tile encoding as a way to fit the translated script in the rom , but it has some issues:

Not to mention the naming screen, which works, but doesn't look quite fine.

I'm looking for a sjis to ascii conversion (1 byte per char) and possibly a VWF (variable width font) to couple with the 1 byte per char. Something like this:

(The person that did this dissapeared without trace though, long story). I have a script extractor already working if you want.

Thanks for reading!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 06:53:28 pm by pablitox »
Re taking hajimari no ishi!

zhade

• View Profile
    • zhaDe's stuff
« Reply #2287 on: October 08, 2015, 02:14:05 pm »
There's not need for it. Just be a man on your first run and then on subsequent runs start a New Game + like everybody else. :P

Haha, yea, I managed to beat the game without any grinding last time I played, and it is the first time I ever finished it, the game does not really require any grinding unless you want to have the hardest endings but the ending in which you talk to the game developers is only acessible in a new game + IIRC anyway.

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #2288 on: October 08, 2015, 02:20:46 pm »
I'd love to see a Hack of Legend of Zelda: A Link to The Past & Four Swords that unlocks the extra dungeon in a LTTP after beating LTTP instead of FS.  Now that there's a voice removal hack, I almost have a reason to play that instead of dusting off my SNES to play the original.

I figure this wouldn't be too hard to accomplish if beating Four Swords just sets a flag after the credits roll to give access to LTTP's extra dungeon. If that were the case, all one would have to do is figure out what that flag was, and have it set after LTTP's credit's rolled instead. Or the easier route of just having that flag always set.
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

zhade

• View Profile
    • zhaDe's stuff
« Reply #2289 on: October 08, 2015, 03:14:30 pm »
I'd love to see a Hack of Legend of Zelda: A Link to The Past & Four Swords that unlocks the extra dungeon in a LTTP after beating LTTP instead of FS.  Now that there's a voice removal hack, I almost have a reason to play that instead of dusting off my SNES to play the original.

I figure this wouldn't be too hard to accomplish if beating Four Swords just sets a flag after the credits roll to give access to LTTP's extra dungeon. If that were the case, all one would have to do is figure out what that flag was, and have it set after LTTP's credit's rolled instead. Or the easier route of just having that flag always set.

I've looked a bit and found that code for the extra dungeon:
Mastercode:
C0EE9F15 - 6038DF66
9847A081 - 5CAF205C

Code to access dungeon:
692B2BFC - 54833ACD

I have no idea if it works and if it acts like if you had beaten 4swords or if it teleports you there or whatever, but if it does only unlock the dungeon, I guess it should be easy to convert the codes into ROM or RAM adresses (I have no idea if those are gamegenie or gameshark codes)

Googie

• I'd like to solve the puzzle... Jiggers!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
« Reply #2290 on: October 08, 2015, 05:46:59 pm »
I bought The Escapists: The Walking Dead last night & it's pretty cool, I would love to see someone turn Final Fantasy 1 into this. An 8bit soundtrack would be so bad ass...  :thumbsup:

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2291 on: October 08, 2015, 10:13:15 pm »
I would like to see someone add The Palace of the Four Swords from the GBA version to the SNES version of A Link to the Past.

I also would like to see a color restoration hack for the GBA version as well.

I also would like to see a hack for the GBA version that would do all this to it:

Restore the Star of David tile that appears in the Eastern Palace.
Restore the Egyptian hieroglyphics that appears at the entrance of the Desert Palace.
Restore all religious references.
Restore the Chris Houlihan room.
Restore the unused Sanctuary entrance doorway.
Restore the unused Cannon Soldier and add him to Agahnim's Tower.
Change the words Lamp and Flute to Lantern and Ocarina.
You can enter The Palace of the Four Swords without beating Four Swords.
Change Link's hair from purple to dirty blonde: http://www.bwass.org/bucket/link.png
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 11:03:10 pm by SCD »

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2292 on: October 08, 2015, 10:21:57 pm »
I'd like to see an undub of Valkyrie Profile on the PS1. There's an undub for the PSP but from what I've read, that port was inferior since it was based on the original Japanese version that did not have a handful of things that made it into/were fixed in the US PS1 version. Plus, I don't have a PSP and never will, so it's worthless to me :P

TheLuigiLightning

• ROM hacking; it's like rearranging classical music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2293 on: October 09, 2015, 03:13:46 pm »
One of the things that people found very innovative about Castlevania III was the fact the branching paths.  It was a really cool feature about the game, but now that I've played through it on every path, and gotten every ending, the one thing I want is an option to play through all 15 stages!  Would someone be able to put something like that together?

Ideal order of stages:

Warakiya Village
Clock Tower
Mad Forest
Haunted Ship
Murky Marsh
Alucard's Cave
Tower of Terror
Moat Bridge
Sunken City
Underground Catacombs
Abandoned Mines
Castle Courtyard
Main Hall
Inner Hall
Final Clock Tower

I think this is the most logical order of stages.  Some people may come up with a different order, but this order balances between sequence of events and difficulty very nicely.

If someone does put this project together, please make a tool that would allow you to change order of stages and edit events.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 03:30:12 pm by TheLuigiLightning »
I am Luigi Lightning.  (You can just call me Luigi, though).
Some say my name is Luigi Lightning.  Others say I am a Lightning Luigi.  Some also say I am Luigi's Lightning.  Some even say I am some prodigy; The Luigi Lightning... guys, it's just a title.  You were correct the first time.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2294 on: October 09, 2015, 07:13:48 pm »
One of the things that people found very innovative about Castlevania III was the fact the branching paths.  It was a really cool feature about the game, but now that I've played through it on every path, and gotten every ending, the one thing I want is an option to play through all 15 stages!  Would someone be able to put something like that together?

I think that one guy (Draken?) who wanted to people to pay for his hacks did something just like this but has yet to release it because he wants $$$.

The_Atomik_Punk!

• Nobody Rules these Streets at Night but Me!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2295 on: October 09, 2015, 07:46:10 pm »
Here's another timely Halloween-themed Hack idea- SRAM save feature for Zombies Ate My Neighbour! (SNES)

This one's a no-brainer; a killer classic, mired in the late-game by the limited password system. The problem is that the password encryption as it stands is limited in that it doesn't save your accumulated weapons, which makes it frustratingly difficult to continues with a late-game password, as you won't have enough ammo to finish the game.

The devs have publicly stated that they wanted to include a battery save on the cart, but due to costs they had to go with an admittedly inadequate password. Here's an excerpt from an interview with the makers of ZAMN:

"Item management is crucial to completing ZAMN, but as Ebert reveals this was more a side-effect of two other factors: "If we could have afforded the battery on the cartridge we would have saved it all for you! The password to save all the weapons you had would have been too long, so we decided that about every four levels we'd at least make it somewhat feasible that you could restart from that location. Admittedly the last few save points are very hard places to start a game from... - Michael Ebert, game dev on ZAMN, taken from hardcoregaming101

This would be a much-needed addition to a timeless Halloween co-op classic.

I think that one guy (Draken?) who wanted to people to pay for his hacks did something just like this but has yet to release it because he wants $$$.

Don't even mention his name; he's like Beetlejuice- say it three times, and you might summon him here, but you'd regret it...

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #2296 on: October 09, 2015, 07:53:22 pm »
Mentioning Drakon is the Romhacking equivelent of discussing one's herpes breakout with the Pope: ya just don't do it.  ;)
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2297 on: October 09, 2015, 08:09:45 pm »
Don't even mention his name; he's like Beetlejuice- say it three times, and you might summon him here, but you'd regret it...

Mentioning Drakon is the Romhacking equivelent of discussing one's herpes breakout with the Pope: ya just don't do it.  ;)

LOL I figured as such. I like the thread on the Castlevania Dungeon forums where he was showing off his hack and mentioned the "required donations" and was subsequently laughed out of the place. What a joker.

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2298 on: October 09, 2015, 11:24:01 pm »
Another cool hack idea that should be done to Zombies Ate My Neighbors is change the crucifix to make it look more like a cross, change the color of the blood that drips down on the game over screen from purple to red and change the one character that appears in the credits level from holding dolls to holding severed heads with blood on his shirt to make him look more like his appearance from the Sega Genesis version.

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #2299 on: October 10, 2015, 12:01:11 am »
I'd like to see an undub of Valkyrie Profile on the PS1. There's an undub for the PSP but from what I've read, that port was inferior since it was based on the original Japanese version that did not have a handful of things that made it into/were fixed in the US PS1 version. Plus, I don't have a PSP and never will, so it's worthless to me :P

I feel like we shouldn't mess with this.  VP1 is about the one time I can recall where we got a 100% better product than the Japanese market---YOU ARE TOYING WITH KARMIC FORCES YOU DO NOT COMPREHEND.