News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2100037 times)

PKstarship

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #2200 on: September 14, 2015, 04:13:08 pm »
I want to see a hack for A Link to the Past that turns into Ocarina of Time for the SNES. The flute would get replaced with the Ocarina, complete with the ability to.play the songs by using the D-Pad and A button. The Day/Night patch would be added, with the additions that the music fades away at night, and the Sun Song plays at sunrise. The Sun Song makes the time skip foward twelve hours, and playing the Song of Storms (My favorite melody in OoT) makes it rain for thirty seconds.

The Great Fairies are in the game, and give you special abilities as well as healing you, but you have to play Zelda's Lullaby in front of the fountain first. The Red Shield would get replaced with the Hylian Shield, but Child Link can only have it on his back, making it so that facing away from enemies deflects their attacks. Getting the Master Sword makes the game go to the future, So yuo can then use the Tunics and other things.

The water in the game would have a sort of feeling of depth to it, and pressing A while swimming allows you to dive down, helpful for avoiding enemies and collecting underwater items. The boots make you sink down to the very bottom, so you can get to the Water Temple (*Shudder*) and get other things, too. Even the Hover Boots would be added, with the loss of friction but the ability to temporarily hover.

The item system would be made to reduce pausing. You could equip an item to each direction of the D-pad by highlighting the item, the pressing L (or R) and the direction you want the item to be asigned to. Pressing L or R in-game makes it pause for a second, and the game shows the items currently equipped. If you had the Slingshot saved to up, pressing L+up would make it the current item.

The Pause Menu stores the tunics, swords, and boots. it also shows the Melodies you learned so far. If you for some reason forget one of them, you can select it in the Menu to have it tell you how to play it. Also, the scarecrows would be at Lake Hylia, and you would have a large amount of freedom to play the Ocarina to make a song for them, even being able to make harmonies and such. You can then save it and even choose to have it play in the place of some BGM.

Anyways, I think that's about it. I have lots of ideas, so I post in idea threads a decent amount.

obscurumlux01

• View Profile
« Reply #2201 on: September 14, 2015, 05:24:27 pm »
Looking for a way to edit the .SRM files for Chrono Trigger.  All I've found are ZSNES-specific save state editors rather than SRM editors which would work on any emulator.
SRM files work in both SNES9X and ZSNES instead of forcing people one way or the other.
Should work with the offsets from the SRM files generated by a non-hacked vanilla Chrono Trigger US ROM.

Optional Enhancement
Ideally you should be able to run it alongside the game and have it look for specific values and then calculate offsets based on that.  Like I'd enter Chrono's Max HP and it would then calculate all the offsets for other character hp and so on.  The more values I manually enter the more 'accurate' it would become.  This way you can apply a retranslation and not be completely messed up because of it.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2202 on: September 14, 2015, 05:27:40 pm »
Looking for a way to edit the .SRM files for Chrono Trigger.  All I've found are ZSNES-specific save state editors rather than SRM editors which would work on any emulator.
SRM files work in both SNES9X and ZSNES instead of forcing people one way or the other.
Should work with the offsets from the SRM files generated by a non-hacked vanilla Chrono Trigger US ROM.

This would be nice. I lost all my SNES saves recently and started CT anew. I accidentally named the robot "     ". It would be nice to fix that without having to go through a bunch of trouble or waiting until New Game + time.
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

obscurumlux01

• View Profile
« Reply #2203 on: September 14, 2015, 11:18:08 pm »
This would be nice. I lost all my SNES saves recently and started CT anew. I accidentally named the robot "     ". It would be nice to fix that without having to go through a bunch of trouble or waiting until New Game + time.

There's some info I got from here on the RPG Classics Shrine on how to do that with any character (legitimately) without hacking but you do have to play through most of the game first.  It is listed in the 'Secrets' page so I just quoted it here.

Name Change
So you gave Lucca a nerdy, stupid name, but now you realized that she rules, and you want to give her a more fitting name. Well, once you get past the Ocean Palace, head to the Laruba Ruins in 65,000,000 BC, and talk to the Nu. He'll give you the Silver Rock. Talk to him again and he'll offer to change the lead character's name for free! And if you want to change Epoch's name, head to Keeper's Dome and examine the computer near the entrance.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2204 on: September 14, 2015, 11:48:17 pm »
There's some info I got from here on the RPG Classics Shrine on how to do that with any character (legitimately) without hacking but you do have to play through most of the game first.  It is listed in the 'Secrets' page so I just quoted it here.

Oh yeah. I know all about it. Been playing this game since '96 or so. Thanks for trying to help though. :) As many times as I've played this game though it probably won't take me long to beat it, even if it isn't a New Game +. Right now I'm doing a little specific grinding to build my Techs up quicker. On a brand new game, as soon as I have access I go to 65,000,000 BC I catch/fight Nu a bunch of times. He gives a ton of Tech points and never kills you (just brings your HP down to 1). Another little strategy I have for armor/weapons on a new game is to trade for the equipment in that time period (once I can) that I can sell for the most money in the present, which will then allow me to buy that over-priced equip in Medina. Getting that stuff early makes a huge difference from what I remember.

EDIT: That reminds me... I remember when many years after I had played this game to death I got curious and looked up a similar (possibly the same) site with CT info and recall the feeling of satisfaction I got when I realized that there was only one secret from that game that I didn't find in what feels like the hundreds of times I played it. *sigh* How great it was to experience this game back in the day. I don't think it would be the same for someoone playing it for the first time these days. I'm not sure they could appreciate how amazing it was at the time.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 12:07:35 am by SunGodPortal »

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2205 on: September 15, 2015, 01:49:46 am »

Optional Enhancement
Ideally you should be able to run it alongside the game and have it look for specific values and then calculate offsets based on that.  Like I'd enter Chrono's Max HP and it would then calculate all the offsets for other character hp and so on.  The more values I manually enter the more 'accurate' it would become.  This way you can apply a retranslation and not be completely messed up because of it.

I guess the big reason everyone made savestate editors back then is because (I'm assuming like most games) SRAM is checksum-protected. Either they didn't know how to calculate the checksum (it's usually pretty simple to find the code if you know ASM), which is the more likely case, or they didn't want to bother having to update it after every edit they made.
That would sound like a reasonable request. But asking for a tool that can work even if some ROM hack changes around the SRAM format is a bit of a big request. For any translation/hack. Because save editing tools are not magic crystals that can just find data for any hack that uses an unknown format. :P
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

obscurumlux01

• View Profile
« Reply #2206 on: September 15, 2015, 02:57:14 am »
So anyone who's played 'Rygar' for NES knows that it has some catchy awesome music and some god-awful ones that consist of only 4 tones repeated endlessly in a loop.

I need a music patch for Dorago's Palace or Sagila's Cave depending on which way it is done.

I'm unsure which is easier to do:

-Put in the one good USA/PAL exclusive track (Sagila's Cave) in place of the JP version and then translate the JP version to English
-Put in one of the JP exclusive tracks (Dorago's Palace) in place of the USA/PAL version and then we're done

There is little to no info on the internal guts of Rygar or where to go about even starting to edit any of this.  I'm not at all a programmer so I'd need some assistance in this kind of thing.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 08:56:51 am by KingMike »

Chpexo

• View Profile
« Reply #2207 on: September 15, 2015, 10:10:09 am »
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 12:44:23 pm by Chpexo »

obscurumlux01

• View Profile
« Reply #2208 on: September 15, 2015, 12:49:39 pm »
Thing is, I have no clue how to even begin doing it.  I haven't done much more than hex-editing of SRM files to 'cheat' way back in the day.
At least it is the NES so it should be much simpler to do (maybe?) compared to later systems.

The lack of documentation on this game is puzzling as well, considering how many obscure Japanese games not only have translations but full documentation as well.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #2209 on: September 15, 2015, 03:07:30 pm »
Damn  you guys, I thought for real that there was a hacked ROM of the complete Ancient Stone Tablets that included all four weeks into just one ROM.

Turns out it was the Map 1+2 ROM which I already had haha.
Damn -,-

CaseyCor

• View Profile
« Reply #2210 on: September 15, 2015, 08:36:20 pm »
Damn  you guys, I thought for real that there was a hacked ROM of the complete Ancient Stone Tablets that included all four weeks into just one ROM.

Turns out it was the Map 1+2 ROM which I already had haha.
Damn -,-
I wish, that would be great! The best way to play Ancient Stone Tablets is to switch ROMS and change the name of your SRAM file.

I'm still hoping someone here can make the timer patch for Ancient Stone Tablets. I'm planning on looking into making one myself this weekend, but I'd much rather have someone with experience on the job. Please help!

KiddoCabbusses

• View Profile
« Reply #2211 on: September 17, 2015, 01:18:00 pm »
The community is already using english translation patches, and manipulating the SRAM. The rules for a particular speedrun category are decided by the community. This patch would make the game speedrun friendly, if someone can make it for us.

1) Japanese language is faster, so the reason for using English translations isn't speedrun-related. (Believe me, I've tested this on AST myself.)
Also, hacks for general convenience/to make the game work != modification of the base gameplay mechanics for the convenience of speedrunners specifically.

2) I don't exactly know what you mean by SRAM manipulation, besides maybe changing the SRAM filenames for emulators (which is something not even necessary for a sd2snes setup), which is REALLY stretching the definition since all that's being used for is making sure episode 2 reads episode 1's data on an emulator environment. This is nothing like the SRAM manips in FFVII PC which actually affected the speedrun.

Generally speaking, I don't think it's common for the speedrun community to use unofficial hacks/mods of a game specifically to make a game faster, and using such would technically invalidate the run. Just to make sure, have you ACTUALLY gone over this with the other BS Zelda speedrunners and SRL?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 01:13:39 am by KiddoCabbusses »

CyberFox

• View Profile
« Reply #2212 on: September 17, 2015, 03:06:13 pm »
How about a hack of F-Zero: GP Legend with the Japan-only eReader tracks inserted in?

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2213 on: September 17, 2015, 08:36:22 pm »
I suppose it depends on the rules of the speedrun community you're playing in.

Didn't TAS change the rules awhile ago to set a certain hierarchy to follow when playing (like NTSC English > PAL English > other EU languages > Japanese, something like that) and demanding user play the first officially available release on the list, unless there's a good reason like version-specific bugs?
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

KiddoCabbusses

• View Profile
« Reply #2214 on: September 19, 2015, 01:15:16 am »
I suppose it depends on the rules of the speedrun community you're playing in.

Didn't TAS change the rules awhile ago to set a certain hierarchy to follow when playing (like NTSC English > PAL English > other EU languages > Japanese, something like that) and demanding user play the first officially available release on the list, unless there's a good reason like version-specific bugs?

I don't know much about that, but it wouldn't really make much sense to use PAL versions for speedrunning in general considering those are slower than the NTSC versions 90% of the time, so I doubt they'd put those on a higher tier than the Japanese ROMs (which are usually the fastest versions to play because of textspeed + first version bugs)

CM30

• View Profile
    • Gaming Reinvented (in beta testing)
« Reply #2215 on: September 20, 2015, 06:21:28 pm »
I'd like to see Super Mario Bros 1 and 3 hacks that resemble the Super Mario Maker versions.  Maybe with the new music for the ghost houses and airships playing in levels with those themes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FH8L8baiVU4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4cA6bn0FGU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oYcgMeFQ-A

You'd then have the new tilesets and enemy sprites where necessary, as well as some of the new sprite behaviour (like the winged versions of most SMB 1 enemies).

Anyone else want to see this?  I would also point out the SMW versions should be a hack too, though that'd be too easy due to how generous Lunar Magic is.
Like Wario?  If so, check out Wario Forums today!

Similarly, want to test a new gaming site?  Check out Gaming Reinvented! Now in beta!

KiddoCabbusses

• View Profile
« Reply #2216 on: September 20, 2015, 07:19:55 pm »
I'd like to see Super Mario Bros 1 and 3 hacks that resemble the Super Mario Maker versions.

Unfortunately, Super Mario Maker violates several rules in regards to the portrayal of their 8-bit characters on 8-bit hardware, most notably how they'd frequently use pure yellow and ignore the limits on the number of colors a particular sprite is allowed to have (This is even before taking in account various effects that are no way replicable on the older hardware). I don't know if the music violates those kind of rules as well but I wouldn't be surprised if it did. This might be a bit of a difficult request.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2217 on: September 20, 2015, 07:31:51 pm »
Unfortunately, Super Mario Maker violates several rules in regards to the portrayal of their 8-bit characters on 8-bit hardware, most notably how they'd frequently use pure yellow and ignore the limits on the number of colors a particular sprite is allowed to have (This is even before taking in account various effects that are no way replicable on the older hardware). I don't know if the music violates those kind of rules as well but I wouldn't be surprised if it did. This might be a bit of a difficult request.

Sticking to the limitations of the NES would be foolish because it wouldn't make the games any better, it would make them worse by imposing unnecessary limitations that only a fraction of a franction of people would care about. Those are arbitrary limitations that would only serve to lower the quality of the end product for the purpose of appealing to a fraction of a fraction of people's sense of nostalgia. That would be especially foolish since the majority of the people using the program probably weren't even born when the NES was still on the market. Maybe even the SNES as well.

EDIT: It may be worth mentioning that I didn't not read the entire post that KiddoCabbusses had quoted until after I had already posted my reply.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 07:57:21 pm by SunGodPortal »

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #2218 on: September 20, 2015, 11:26:44 pm »
I want a Breath of Fire 2 hack that keeps Ryusei's amazing translation, but fixes a number of the gameplay bugs, especially relating to elemental characteristics of armor and some weapons.

Because somehow my Dragon armor protects me against the Fireball spell, but is totally ineffective in reducing damage from fire breath.  Actually, I'm pretty sure none of the enemy attacks that theoretically have elements attached to them are reduced from the various armor resistances.  Adding elemental qualities to some attacks that theoretically have them (Fire/Ice/Lit Dragons) would also be great.

I think I saw someone trying to make the dragon summoning more useful--something that perhaps added more dragon summons with varied effects, reduced their power, and AP cost, and perhaps made their power based off Wisdom would make for a much more interesting Dragon system.  Still keep them essentially like summons though, BoF's system was way too cheap, and BoF3's probably wouldn't work very well in this game.  Actually, I would really, REALLY like to see this.

BoF2 could also use a slight revamping of the drop system.  For most of the items I think it works fine, but the uber uber rare drops are just obscene to get.  Not FF4 obscene, but we're still talking a large chunk of dedicated grinding.  Somehow balancing the rates, and maybe offsetting the increases with more difficult to trigger rare drops would work?  And putting appropriate items in the rare drop slots would be good too.  HealBL's should not be rares.

There are probably a few other things I'd like to see fixed for my favorite game ever, but these are the big things that come to mind.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #2219 on: September 21, 2015, 12:37:44 am »
I'd like to see Super Mario Bros 1 and 3 hacks that resemble the Super Mario Maker versions.  Maybe with the new music for the ghost houses and airships playing in levels with those themes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FH8L8baiVU4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4cA6bn0FGU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oYcgMeFQ-A

You'd then have the new tilesets and enemy sprites where necessary, as well as some of the new sprite behaviour (like the winged versions of most SMB 1 enemies).

Anyone else want to see this?  I would also point out the SMW versions should be a hack too, though that'd be too easy due to how generous Lunar Magic is.

I think an enhanced edition of SMB1 & SMB3 with the new music and a few new levels would be kinda cool. But to be a bit more realistic I think it might be easier to make them as SMW hacks instead.