News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2405892 times)

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #2040 on: July 28, 2015, 08:22:56 pm »
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time (Super NES): A hack that would fix some of the misspellings in the game and add a couple other things as well:

Change "Hey Shredder, bring that statue back, you bloated bean bag!" to "Hey Krang, bring that statue back, you bloated bean bag!"

Change "I'm gonna mangle you green slimballs" to "I'm gonna mangle you green slimeballs"

Change Stone Worrior to Stone Warrior

Fix other misspellings in the game as well.

Restore the missing defeated quotes that the bosses say after you defeat them from the Japanese version.

Give Super Shredder his falling sprite that he uses when he falls off the railing after you defeat him from Hyperstone Heist: http://www.vgmuseum.com/end/genesis/a/teenturtle-4.gif
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 06:03:23 am by SCD »

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2041 on: July 29, 2015, 08:23:43 am »
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time (Super NES): A hack that would fix some of the misspellings in the game and add a couple other things as well:

Change "Hey Shredder, bring that statue back, you bloated bean bag!" to "Hey Krang, bring that statue back, you bloated bean bag!"

Change "I'm gonna mangle you green slimballs" to "I'm gonna mangle you green slimeballs"

Change Stone Worrior to Stone Warrior

Fix other misspellings in the game as well.

Restore the missing defeated quotes that the bosses say after you defeat them from the Japanese version.

Give Super Shredder his falling sprite that he uses when he falls off the railing after you defeat him from Hyperstone Heist: http://www.vgmuseum.com/end/genesis/a/teenturtle-4.gif

While at it, I'd like to see some of the missing things from the Arcade put back in, such as sound effects and sound clips, missing enemies, even have you battle Shredder before he turns into Super Shredder.

The_Atomik_Punk!

• Nobody Rules these Streets at Night but Me!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2042 on: July 29, 2015, 02:54:28 pm »
I would love for a new ending to be hacked into NES Double Dragon II that is based on the more conflicted, tragic original Arcade version, albeit with improvements. NES Double Dragon II is easily one of my favourite games of all time, but the sappy, rushed fairytale ending applied by Nintendo is an absolute disaster to an otherwise legendary game. I'll paste some quotes from an individual on reddit, and another from youtube who summarize the reasons I feel the tone of the arcade game made for a very mature and impactful experience:

"I have a feeling that almost everyone considers the NES port of the game to be the definitive version. It sports a more polished look and feel along with a grand total of nine missions building onto the arcade's four. Not to mention, a cool comic book story that unfolds betwixt the fighting. It's a shame the combat wasn't more challenging.

The NES port featured a very gratifying ending against the Shadow Warrior. Kick his ass, listen to his dying words, and Marion is mysteriously resurrected. Happy days! Totally worth the trouble

The arcade port is much less forgiving. Willy makes his return appearance after you, as the player, have pummeled furiously through his army of thugs and weird bosses again. You watch has he makes his way though the hallway to the arena and the music starts. The beat has a sense of opportunity hanging from it. You're literally aching to smash him into the ground. However, killing him nets no special gratification. It would seem that by exacting their revenge, they've drown themselves in their own animosity. Which is when their shadows come alive...

I believe they're the Dragons' rage and murderous nature personified. Very different to what's alluded to in the NES port with the dopplegangers being illusions created by the final boss.

That creepy laugh as they arise from the shadows, coupled with the eerie background ambiance is very disturbing. Beating them is just as strange because they seemingly return to whence they came with that same laugh. Are they gone? Did you just suppress them for now?

You leave through the exit to the ending screen. Marion does not return to the living and stays deceased. The photograph shows her shedding a single tear... is she sad she perished? Is she sad the Dragons gave into their hatred? Maybe both, but it's a far cry from the fairy tale ending of the NES version. My interpretation is that the photo shows the complete opposite of the present time. Marion's dead and the Dragons are lost in guilt, sadness, and became murderer's
(which is absolutely opposite of what they're shown to be in all other games/media.)"

Link to original arcade showdown with ending: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZilkUmmwuo&feature=youtu.be&t=5m3s

... and abysmal NES ending for comparison: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSuVH4YgIx0

and another supporting comment from youtube: "The whole concept of fighting a physical manifestation of your desire for vengeance is deep and profound. Furthermore, it also shows that despite all your efforts, Marion is still dead."

Now, having said all that, the original Arcade photo is laughably bad, with a super creepy expression on the face of the Lee brothers (that would obviously have to be redone). In addition, the ending speech of the Shadow Master would have to be redone, as it's currently nonsensical.  In addition, I'd like to see a few preceding expository shots, such as of the Lee brothers against a gritty urban sunset, reminiscing when they spent an evening there with Marion in happier times, cut to them looking out over the water in longing, and then walking away in sadness into the background. One of the Lee brothers then drops the photo of the three of them, which plays out like the original arcade ending.

Needless to say, while I have absolutely no hacking skills, I would love to be involved in the direction of the ending cut scenes, as well as writing the script. I think this masterpiece deserves a proper ending befitting the tone and spirit of the game. Anyone who is interested in making this happen, please feel free to respond in this thread, or hit me with a PM.

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
« Reply #2043 on: July 29, 2015, 06:10:19 pm »
I don't know why konami did this, but in NES Contra, when you play in 2 player mode, the camera behaves horribly compared to 1 player mode. Namely, your character is allowed to move horizontally to what seems to be 75% of the screen compared to 50% of the screen in 1 player mode before it begins to scroll. This makes the game really hard as you have a lot less time to react to enemies coming from the right side of the screen. It would be cool if a hack fixed the scroll so if any player moved to 50% of the screen (same as in 1 player mode) it would start scrolling.

Maybe this is incredibly easy, maybe not, but with my rom hacking skills limited to sprite editing and text editing in hex, I've been unable to do anything about. I've even tried generating a cheat code to fix it but I guess it's not possible without hacking the actual rom. (if anyone does it please make it for J and U version).
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 06:28:27 pm by nesrocks »

Goros Lair

• View Profile
« Reply #2044 on: July 29, 2015, 07:31:49 pm »
I'd become very and very glad with one of the 3 possibilities below:

a) Final Fight Arcade (Original) -> 3 players version;

b) The Lost Vikings 1 and 2 (SNES) -> 3 players version (same as the Genesis one);

c) Cadillacs and Dinosaurs (Arcade) -> 4 players version (some people use to say that this version exists... but, I've got sure it's only the power of imagination (LOL).

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2045 on: July 29, 2015, 08:10:41 pm »
a) Final Fight Arcade (Original) -> 3 players version;

That I would like to see, especially someone can restore the uncensored intro from the Japanese rom to the American rom as well. Another cool idea is someone should change the rom from a CPS1 game to a CPS2 game so the music can be better.

I would like to see a 3-player version of the original Golden Axe.

I also would like to see 4-player versions of Metal Slug 2, X and 3 and a 4-player version of the original Metal Slug that would add Eri and Fio to the game as well.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 08:28:23 pm by SCD »

dougeff

• View Profile
« Reply #2046 on: July 30, 2015, 11:09:55 pm »
Re:NESROCKS...contra,  2 player scrolling

This is controlled by one byte at $1da72. Here's some Game Genie Codes I made...

Here is to make it like 1 player mode, with a max x position of 80 = EAVIXZEL
Here's max of 90, which is also good = EPVIXZEL

This works on the US version.
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2047 on: July 30, 2015, 11:30:44 pm »
Infinite life hack for Double Dragon III (NES). That game is way too hard. There's an "easy" hack here but I don't remember it making much difference. I failed miserably at this game so many times I don't even want a little advantage. I want to DESTROY this game. I want this game to feel as I have felt all these years. Screw you Double Dragon III! Why can't you be cool like Double Dragon II?
Cigarettes, ice-cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary...

Zynk

• WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
« Reply #2048 on: July 30, 2015, 11:57:31 pm »
In Double Dragon, replace Billy with Marian, since Marian is mentioned to be an instructor at the Sou-Setsu-Ken Dojo, so she can fight.  :D

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2049 on: July 31, 2015, 12:07:36 am »
In Double Dragon, replace Billy with Marian, since Marian is mentioned to be an instructor at the Sou-Setsu-Ken Dojo, so she can fight.  :D

Or replace Billy with that Bimmy guy. :P

EDIT: Hmm. Maybe that's why DDIII is so hard. They make you fight with an imitation. Perhaps they couldn't pay Billy enough to come back and make a 3rd game so they got some guy named Bimmy who looked like him and didn't think people would notice.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 12:21:34 am by SunGodPortal »
Cigarettes, ice-cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary...

dougeff

• View Profile
« Reply #2050 on: July 31, 2015, 05:56:58 pm »
I'd like to see a hack of any game with intentionally bad translation and Engrish - isms. Like "congraturation, our story is happy end". Love it :)

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
« Reply #2051 on: July 31, 2015, 06:01:34 pm »
Re:NESROCKS...contra,  2 player scrolling

This is controlled by one byte at $1da72. Here's some Game Genie Codes I made...

Here is to make it like 1 player mode, with a max x position of 80 = EAVIXZEL
Here's max of 90, which is also good = EPVIXZEL

This works on the US version.
Did you find this with ram search or did you look in the program's code? I have no idea how you did that, I searched a LOT in ram search and couldn't find the address. Awesome! :beer: :thumbsup:
Is it simple to hack a rom with this information? By my tests 90 seems to be really the best value. It seems that this is the same value used in Super C.

edit: Oh I think I've found a tutorial to do just that using game genie guy by Kyle, let me test.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 06:54:59 pm by nesrocks »

dougeff

• View Profile
« Reply #2052 on: August 01, 2015, 01:56:18 am »
Re:Nesrocks - how I figured out contra stuff...

In FCEUX, I had the RAM open (hex editor tool), and watched as I moved the guys left and right. I noticed the 1st player X position at $334 and the 2nd player X position at $335, and I see that the furthest right they go is B0. I tried a quick search of the ROM for compares to B0 (such as c9 b0) with no luck. So I opened the debugger tool, and set a breakpoint for reads from $334, and looked at the code around those breaks for compares. Didn't see it. I thought, maybe it's because I'm not currently scrolling right, so I set an auto-hold under "input" for right button presses, and immediately hit the 'step into' on the debugger when it started scrolling, and set the $334 breakpoint again. And, after each break, I hit 'step into' a bunch of times to see why it's reading from the X position, and eventually got to this line...
DA23:BD 34 03  LDA $0334,X @ $0334 = #$B0
DA26:D9 60 DA  CMP $DA60,Y @ $DA62 = #$B0 -- which is basically what I was looking for, a compare that equals B0
-I scrolled down to da62 of that bank and wrote down the #'s [b0 bd 1a ... etc]

so I went back to hex editor tool, and switched view to 'ROM file' and searched for 'b0 bd 1a', which is only found $1da72. I highlighted the 'b0' and changed it to 80, and moved the guys around, and saw that they only go to max X of 80 now. Then I used the Game Genie tool to make the codes for you.

To make this into a hack, just open the ROM with a hex editor, go to $1da72, change the b0 to 80 or 90 or whatever, and save it. Took me about 30-40 minutes.

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
« Reply #2053 on: August 01, 2015, 10:50:18 am »
I see, so it takes some assembly understanding.
Thanks for the lesson and for finding it!

I've hacked the rom using the game genie guy utility.

As for this camera adjustment, I think this should be used on contra hacks as it makes the game a lot more playable with two players.

Quick Curly

• View Profile
« Reply #2054 on: August 01, 2015, 01:42:07 pm »
Excellent work, dougeff! :woot!:
I remember years ago when I was Netplaying 2-player Contra, and the delayed screen scrolling made it difficult depending on the combined skills and efforts of both players. Sometimes I felt that I did better once the other player was gone. :laugh:
I agree that this screen scrolling adjustment should be used as a base for other hacks. Perhaps even an improvement hack. :beer:

CyberFox

• View Profile
« Reply #2055 on: August 02, 2015, 02:27:26 am »
How about a ROM Hack overhaul of Salamander/Life Force into a NES port of the G.G. Series game "Score Attacker"?

johnny

• View Profile
« Reply #2056 on: August 02, 2015, 01:38:44 pm »
I seem to notice that tinier sprites can tend to move faster. How about a game hack for a game that is fast moving with tiny sprites with more of a realistic look. For example, some sprites are 8 x 8 in certain games and can move quick, someone could modify the sprites and tilesets to match Castlevania. Backgrounds and levels can be more menacing and huge.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 01:50:55 pm by johnny »

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2057 on: August 02, 2015, 09:53:24 pm »
The sprite size SHOULDN'T make a difference to its possible speed (assuming NES), as NES sprites are ALWAYS 8x8 (larger sprites are simply multiple 8x8 sprites moved in unison. Well aside from 8x16 mode but I don't know how much that is used).

I remember Nintendo's retort to the Blast Processing ads, a series of print ads designed to look like magazine articles. I'm sure it's true about their claim "a plumber can move as fast as a hedgehog if programmed to", as least far moving a sprite is concerned.
Background scrolling, maybe not so (although I have seen some SMW hacks use the fastest auto-scroll speed and it's pretty damn fast :D ).
Though there is the Sonic ripoff game Jurassic Boy 2 for the NES. I don't think you'd have to play too far to find out the game doesn't seem like it really cared too much if the NES couldn't handle the scrolling and the level maps start glitching out as a result (well, what do you expect out of an unlicensed game by a developer of varying quality :P )
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

CyberFox

• View Profile
« Reply #2058 on: August 03, 2015, 12:36:46 am »
Blast Processing is actually true as the Genesis has a faster CPU than the SNES/SFC
too bad the Genesis lacked everything else, the Yamaha chip is a joke compared to Sony's on the SNES

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2059 on: August 03, 2015, 03:12:37 am »
The question was mostly "is Blast Processing a notable technical feature of the console" (like Mode 7 was on the SNES), which is how BP was presented.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018