News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 1713379 times)

CyberFox

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #1460 on: September 19, 2014, 02:08:33 am »
How about a full on conversion of Dragon Quest III on the Sufami into a Captain N RPG game?

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1461 on: September 20, 2014, 02:43:03 am »
Have been playing Lunar Knights and there are two things that annoys me and I think it would be a good idea to hack:
1. The lack of Starforce Items and Quests in US and EUR version (the items, if i recall correctly, DO exist, but with no attributes, basically making them trash even if hacked in)
2. The controls in the spaceship. A good way to correct this would be to implement a sort of D-Pad hack to that segment

Thanatos-Zero

• NES Graphic Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1462 on: September 20, 2014, 12:19:37 pm »
How about a Breath of Fire 2 hack which makes the dragon transformation behave like the ones from Breath of Fire 4?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPuBZ78vWbg

That means when Ryu transforms, he becomes a dragon/human hybrid, but becomes a full dragon when he uses the breath attacks.

I am willing to create for this game the necessary sprites, if some are interrested to make this possible.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 12:48:10 pm by Thanatos-Zero »

tryphon

• View Profile
« Reply #1463 on: September 20, 2014, 12:58:38 pm »
I had a similar idea for Phantasy Star III. I must look at how Bof IV handles this...

Zero Dozer

• Wow, I've used that Eminem quote for a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1464 on: September 20, 2014, 05:13:41 pm »
Is there a way to remove the character portraits from the dialog boxes in Final Fantasy V Advance? Please, I can't stand the damn contrast between Amano's art and the characters' sprites.

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1465 on: September 20, 2014, 05:17:31 pm »
And on other ideas... I played Dragon Ball Kai Ultimate Butouden (DS) and thought it was pretty nice, but it could use a translation. There is a very crude translation going around (not even 50% done, it seems, and yet the guy declared it "final version"), so perhaps someone could go from where he was and even make things better. No need to translate audio.

CyberFox

• View Profile
« Reply #1466 on: September 20, 2014, 10:00:23 pm »
How about a Project M like hack to "Press Your Luck: 2010 Edition" for the Wii

by this i mean
- Mii integration
- better AI than what Ludia did
- better randomization of the Big Board
- better Wammy animation, voice samples and sound effects

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #1467 on: September 21, 2014, 05:01:23 am »
Bug fix for Seiken Densetsu 3, namely the crit bug. Crits are incredibly rare, if not 100% impossible, to obtain. Thus, some spells and possibly items are useless, and the luck stat is nearly useless as well.

Possibly fix the Kevin Werewolf bug as well(When Kevin gets hit as a werewolf, he gets a 50% attack up).
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

Dashman

• View Profile
« Reply #1468 on: September 21, 2014, 07:00:47 am »
Speaking of Seiken Densetsu 3, another hack that may not be that difficult would be reducing the recovery time for Duran, so that he doesn't take more time than the others to get a second attack. I've seen people ragequit when I tried to play with them because of that.

What the game truly needs though is a hack that fixes the menu to make its speed bearable, but that wouldn't be easy at all.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #1469 on: September 21, 2014, 08:25:22 am »
What that game needs is the battle engine from Seiken Densetsu 2.
SD3 feels a lot less "free" than SD2 did. It's more RPG than Action.
I dunno.

Dashman

• View Profile
« Reply #1470 on: September 21, 2014, 08:41:54 am »
I share that sentiment, SD2 was a more enjoyable experience. First time I tried 3, I felt the battle system was annoying, specially the way the characters moved, and of course the forced "turns" for attacking instead of allowing you to throw weak attacks and being trapped in encounters.

However, changing the battle engine entirely seems like a titanic task. Little tweaks like affecting the way the characters move seem feasible, but getting rid of the encounters in favor of monsters placed on the map... The whole game is designed around that.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: September 21, 2014, 11:47:12 am »
I agree on the battle system to a point.  The inability to throw weak attacks REALLY was annoying, so that definitely needs to be changed.  The menu itself I would hope wouldn't be TOO difficult to speed up.  Most likely a certain few bytes that dictate the speed of how fast everything rotates and what not.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

tryphon

• View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: September 21, 2014, 12:35:56 pm »
Curriously, I've always felt SD2 was one of the most, if not the most, overrated game of the SFC.
Maybe due to its ugly French translation.

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #1473 on: September 21, 2014, 09:36:22 pm »
Any chance of a Star Fox Adventures language select Action Replay code?

I've mentioned before NTSC versions use the console to set English or Japanese.
NTSC GC needs a region mod for it, while PAL GC presently cannot play this game in Japanese.

Lance

• View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: September 22, 2014, 01:41:16 am »
Is there a way to remove the character portraits from the dialog boxes in Final Fantasy V Advance? Please, I can't stand the damn contrast between Amano's art and the characters' sprites.

This thread has a patch that removes the portraits: http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,17873.msg258903.html#msg258903

Zero Dozer

• View Profile
« Reply #1475 on: September 22, 2014, 10:51:07 am »
This thread has a patch that removes the portraits: http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,17873.msg258903.html#msg258903

Seems that the patch is down. So much for people trusting in Dropbox.

FAST6191 however left a tutorial in there, I think I'm gonna tinkle with it.

sjdswanlund

• View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: September 23, 2014, 05:23:46 am »
Most of my ideas are inspired by my favorite video game series: The Legend of Zelda, Metroid, Castlevania, Final Fantasy.

When I try thinking of what would be an awesome hack for a game I usually think about taking one of those games, then switching the story, some of the graphics, and a lot of the mechanics from another of those games, and implementing it into the original game that I'd want to hack.

I will use the original Final Fantasy as an example.  I would combine a lot of the elements from Zelda and Castlevania NES games, as well as Metroid, into it.  One way of looking at it would be to imagine Gargoyle's Quest, which uses various perspectives and mechanics of those games, depending on where you are in the game.  There is the overhead world map and the sidescrolling levels and random encounters, and the RPG elements of talking to NPCs for items, quests, etc.

This is how I would change Final Fantasy:

If memory were not an issue, the World Map would still use an overhead perspective and still use the same land.  However, the size of the world would be dramatically increased in scale.  The World Map would now resemble the Legend of Zelda, with certain areas being unreachable without certain equipment or vehicles, such as an airship or something like the hookshot.  The graphics themselves would thus become more detailed, similar to how Infidelity's new Legend of Link hack, which is a hack of the original Zelda, has more detailed graphics similar to Link's Awakening DX.

There would still be dungeons, towns and other areas throughout the map, but they would also act differently.  First, the actual mechanics of exploration and gameplay would be more of a Metroidvania style of game.  When you enter one of these special areas, be it a dungeon or town, a new map would load, and would have a different perspective.  The perspective would a 2-D Sidescroller like Metroid and Castlevania.  Imagine how Blaster Master switches between the two perspectives of map and dungeon, except vice verse.  Now that I think of it, a hack of Blaster Master that changes the perspectives would be interesting too.

Towns and Villages would resemble those seen in Zelda II: The Adventure of Link and Castlevania II, as well as the retro-inspired game Shovel Knight.  Just like a Metroidvania game, some portions of these areas might not be reachable until you get a certain item.  An example would be a large building, such as an Inn, where the top floor acts as a Pub, but the player can't go up the stairs to get inside because of his age.  To get in, you would need to be able to get atop the roof of the building through platforming, and using something like a Hookshot, or a Double Jump or gliding mechanic.  Inside would be more NPCs, where you might be able to buy better stuff like a health upgrade or gear, or get side quests, or simply progress the story.

Platforming and Combat would then be like Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, which I think is the best Metroidvania game there is.  The player would be able to get better armor and weapons to equip, which would change your stats as well as how they look.  The game would still use the same magic abilities, but how the appear graphically would be changed because of the side-scrolling platforming perspective.

Random Encounters.  These would no longer exist.  Enemies would appear in both dungeon and world map perspectives, and the combat mechanics would change depending on the perspective.  The World Map one would play like Zelda, but use the same stats, spells, and gear, while the dungeons would do the same, except playing out like Symphony of the Night.

The layouts of the towns, cities, and dungeons would be adaption of the original Final Fantasy layouts.  If a dungeon in the original game had four floors, there would be four specific sections in the hack as well, and chests that appeared in the original game would also be in those specific floors.  The graphics and sprites for these areas would have to use as similar a palette as possible, yet still have some liberty in what would need to be changed, so something like the background walls wouldn't look bland.

As for the enemies, they would actually look the same as well, except they would need to be animated since they would have to move if the game was an action-platformer.  In the old games - this is more noticeable in the Dragon Quest games - when a play or enemy would attack a flash of light would appear, paired with a sound effect, before you would see how much damage it had done.  Now, those attacks would be animated and adapted so it would look like combat in Symphony of the Night.

You might be saying, this idea for a hack wouldn't work because Final Fantasy had four characters.  Well, you'd only be half right.  If you ever unlocked Julius Mode in Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow, or played the Bucky O'Hare game on the NES, you will understand how this would work.  In Bucky O'Hare, when you rescued one of your friends you could switch between the different characters, who had different abilities.  Julius Mode in Dawn of Sorrow is a second campaign that uses the same map from the game, except you play as Julius Belmont.  In this mode you eventually come across Yoko Belnades and Alucard, who all have different abilities, like Alucard's bat form.

The only negative aspect of Julius Mode is the absence of certain gameplay mechanics and features.  While these changes are intentional in Dawn of Sorrow, as a way of making the game more challenging and adding more variety to the way you approach the game, in context with the idea for my hack, there would be no absence of features and mechanics.  Characters would still acquire new weapons, armor, and spells.  There would still be items likes potions and phoenix downs.  The characters would share the same health pool, as well as a mana pool.

So what do you think of this concept?  What would you add, or for that matter, what part of my idea would like to see changed back to resemble the original game more?  Let's keep discussing this and hopefully make this idea that much better, that much bigger in scope and ambition.

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: September 23, 2014, 11:37:34 am »
-snip-
Originally, Julius Mode was meant to be based on Castlevania 3, as each character plays like they did in that one (Julius like Trevor, Yoko like Sypha, Alucard like... Alucard). The only one out is Hammer who would play like Grant. It's hinted that Hammer was scrapped as playable during development.

ginja_ninja

• View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: September 23, 2014, 01:02:01 pm »
One of the big things that bugs me about IZJS is the fact that it's a job system in name only. In truth, you just pick a class at the start of the game and are stuck with it. It's the complete antithesis of the system from V and the Tactics series. You only ever even get to use half of the jobs on the board per playthrough.

The job system is supposed to be about the ability to freely switch between classes and then carry over abilities learned on one class to another. My dream version of FFXII would be the 12 Zodiac boards, but have characters able to swap which one's active for them at any time and then only earn LP for that active board. Then have it so they can pick one other board to also have all the licenses they've bought for it active at the same time! This would create a really interesting way of designing hybrid classes and switching roles for battles while still limiting characters from being able to access all licenses at once.

Of course, that could never happen without a total remake of the game by Square. It's far too complex to reasonably believe you'd be able to mod in.

Something I'm more interested in here though would be an ostensibly simpler alternative: What if you allowed each character to pick TWO job boards instead of one? This seems like it could be hacked in much more easily, and it's the perfect fit for all 6 characters to use all 12 jobs! You get all the benefits of dual-classing like in a real job system!

Currently the only way to really accomplish this is just by activating the licenses yourself in the save editor. It'd be really cool if it were possible to somehow increase the value on number of times each character is eligible select a job in-game though and make it an official mod/hack.

What do you guys think about this? Has anyone ever tried it? Anyone interested in helping figure it out? Tools you guys could point me to that can unpack/decode game files from the .iso? Do you think a hex searcher like CheatEngine could possibly turn up a value? I'd love to find some more people who love the game and are interested in helping to make this happen.

Zero Dozer

• View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: September 23, 2014, 01:16:35 pm »
Another hint would be to combine this with the already existing translation patch for IZJS (that one made by Griever (was that his name?)), and even fix some errors found in there.

And yes, it'd be interesting, not to mention that I'd play it with much more taste than I'd play the original IZJS.