News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 1312072 times)

schtolteheim

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #1160 on: March 28, 2014, 08:35:37 am »
Is it feasible to include smoother turning transitions in the Brandish games for SNES by means of Mode 7?

Of course one view shouldn't be rotated the whole 90°. What I believe could be a convincing illusion is if (for instance) the north-view is rotated 45° and for the remaining 45° it switches to the west(/east)-view.

I made a gif; you can decide if it proves or disproves my proposition. I inserted only two transitional frames but it already looks less disorienting.

The hero-sprite should remain static during rotations if this were to be implemented.

The question remains if this is even technically possible though.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 09:36:02 am by schtolteheim »

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: March 28, 2014, 12:24:17 pm »
Actually there is a complete list of which moves combinations are legal on which Pokémon. If this check fails, the trainer's name is displayed in purple. There is a check on Pokémon stats and a check on moves data too.

I do remember Nintendo Power warning MissingNo. and his steroid friends would be rejected by Stadium.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Thanatos-Zero

• NES Graphic Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: March 28, 2014, 12:56:33 pm »
I'm currently working on Pokemon Stadium 2, and I've posted offsets for rental Pokemon on datacrystal. I'll post a lot more data in a few hours.It is possible, and it's very easy to do :

You can change Rentals / Types / Names / Text / CPU Pokemon and which animation is used by which move very easily.
I'm looking into how some move effects are scripted (Disable, Encore...) so I can insert other effects after modifying the pointers (it would allow to insert complex moves like Taunt and Torment in the game for example)Actually there is a complete list of which moves combinations are legal on which Pokemon. If this check fails, the trainer's name is displayed in purple. There is a check on Pokemon stats and a check on moves data too.

I'll take care of Pokemon Stadium 1 right after the 2.

Incredible work Mantidactyle. I can't wait to see your work being done.
Still, a editor for the two stadium games would be incredible.

By the way, how about modify attacks of HMs and TMs, so that they are actually more useful?

I have some suggestions.

Flash (HM5)

Type: Steel
PP: 15 (max. 24)
Power:  40
Accuracy: 100%
Description: Causes damage and reduces accuracy of the enemy by 1 stage.

Strength (HM4)

Type: Rock
PP: 10 (max. 16)
Power:  95
Description: Causes damage. 30% (sadly there is no 10% option for flinch) chance, that the enemy flinches back.

Fly (HM2)

Type: Flying
PP: 15 (max. 24)
Power:  100
Accuracy: 95%
Description: In the first turn the user flies up into the air and is invincible against any attacks made during this turn, except by a few attacks. 2nd turn dive attack.

Cut (HM1)

Type: Steel
PP: 10(max. 16)
Power:  50
Description: Causes damage and always hits twice.

Fury Cutter (TM49)

Type: Bug
PP: 10(max. 16)
Power:  40
Accuracy: 95%
Description: Hits three times with rising power (Triple Kick effect: 1st hit 40, 2nd hit 50, 3rd hit 60).

Dragon Breath (TM49)

Type: Dragon
PP: 15(max. 24)
Power:  85
Description: Causes Damage. 30% chance to paralyse the target.

If we buff those moves, there are now several other moves, which are made redunant by the buff. Iron Tail and Rock Sledge for example are now out of league by Cut and Strength. The solution is to buff them as well. Both with 120 Power with 80% accuracy, would make them as powerful as Fire Blast, but not as accurate like Flamethrower with its weaker 95 Power.

Regarding Rental Pokemon:
While I agree that they should get a boost, they shouldn't overshadow the Player's pokemon.

Another thing:
Pokemon should also be able to learn all moves, they can in Gen 3, 4, 5 and 6.
Also, weak pokemon like Magcargo and Corsola need higher basestats. Smogon can give us here some guidance.
https://www.smogon.com/gs/pokemon/
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 01:06:03 pm by Thanatos-Zero »

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: March 28, 2014, 04:39:24 pm »
Regarding Rental Pokemon:
While I agree that they should get a boost, they shouldn't overshadow the Player's pokemon.
Well, if I make a Stadium hack, I will not expect players to use their GB Pokémon (which can be cheated anyway and/or is inconvenience). To compensate for a big boost to rental Pokémon is to simply modify the trainer & gym leaders' Pokémon. A trainer editor is just as significant to have.

lytron

• View Profile
    • pantalytron.com
« Reply #1164 on: March 30, 2014, 11:46:49 am »
Possibly not the sort of hack ideas you wanna hear here, but:

Can someone make a mod of WLA DX where you can say in a 65816-File: "The stuff from here on is SPC. Compile it with that instruction set!"?  Would be really cool.

CyberFox

• View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: March 30, 2014, 04:43:41 pm »
How about hacking Pac-Man into a full on conversion of Wiz-Man from Game Center CX 2?

amerk

• View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: March 31, 2014, 02:45:22 pm »
Beyond the Beyond for the original Playstation... that's a game that could benefit from a good hack. I've beat it once in my life (when it first came out), and recently I went into the game hoping to replay it for the benefit of nostalgia, but I can't stomach the high grind and random encounters. It was one of the reasons I first came to this site, in hopes of figuring  out how to hack this game; but I'll probably be old and gray before figuring it out.

None of the old game shark codes to balance out the grind and lower/remove encounters work very well.

For the hack, I was thinking about three specific items that could be created and given to the player right away. All would have unlimited use:

Item 1: Gold - Each time it is used, the player would get 1000 pieces of gold.
Item 2: Level - Each time it is used, the party would get a level up.
Item 3: Encounter - It would toggle random encounters on and off.

I am not sure if this is feasible or even possible, or if anybody has any interest in this game to do a hack for it. But if there is, well, at least one poor soul would love you for life.

FinS

• View Profile
    • nothing much
« Reply #1167 on: April 04, 2014, 03:58:55 pm »
I would be willing to pay a bit to have this work done, if needed.

You are requesting aid in transgression in exchange for a bit of pay. I would expect there will be no takers.

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #1168 on: April 04, 2014, 10:03:39 pm »
Replace all Holy Diver BGM tracks with Dio songs.

Jonesy47

• View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: April 05, 2014, 03:24:56 am »
Do a player sprite swap putting Donkey Kong in Donkey Kong Country 3 instead of Kiddy Kong. Possibly with pallete changes to the levels for extra flavor. I always thought 3 would have been a much more appealing game if it had featured the return of it's namesake.

Hack Snake's Revenge on nes into a port of metal gear 2 Solid Snake on msx2, making the game play as close to the original as possible on nes hardware. Heck, hack any game on ANY console into a port of metal gear 2. If there was a level editor for Metal Gear or Snake's Revenge available, I'd have already taken matters into my own hands.

johnny

• View Profile
« Reply #1170 on: April 05, 2014, 07:45:16 am »
Do a player sprite swap putting Donkey Kong in Donkey Kong Country 3 instead of Kiddy Kong. Possibly with pallete changes to the levels for extra flavor. I always thought 3 would have been a much more appealing game if it had featured the return of it's namesake.

Hack Snake's Revenge on nes into a port of metal gear 2 Solid Snake on msx2, making the game play as close to the original as possible on nes hardware. Heck, hack any game on ANY console into a port of metal gear 2. If there was a level editor for Metal Gear or Snake's Revenge available, I'd have already taken matters into my own hands.

Heres something interesting:

The Game Boy’s CPU is a hybrid between the Intel 8080 and the Zilog Z80
http://realboyemulator.wordpress.com/2013/01/01/the-nintendo-game-boy-1/

the Genesis hardware was adapted from Sega's System 16 arcade board, centered around a Motorola 68000 processor as a primary CPU and a Zilog Z80 as a secondary processor.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sega_Genesis

Hypothetically, shouldn't you be able to port the ASM of a game like Metal Gear Ghost Babel for Game Boy to the Sega CD? Then you could have an updated 16 bit version of the game with a really nice updated soundtrack.

tryphon

• View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: April 05, 2014, 08:38:08 am »
No, because all the remaining hardware parts (graphics engine, sound, inputs) are different. So you'll have to look into the original ASM what refers to those and adapt, it would be much more work than remake the game from scratch.

johnny

• View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: April 05, 2014, 09:17:30 am »
No, because all the remaining hardware parts (graphics engine, sound, inputs) are different. So you'll have to look into the original ASM what refers to those and adapt, it would be much more work than remake the game from scratch.

Well yeah sounds like its lots of work. There is this post: http://devster.proboards.com/thread/613 where a guy ported Super Mario Bros. over to the Sega Genesis hardware. No NES game has been ported since. Still I guess I would have thought porting a Game Boy/Game Boy Color game to the Genesis would have been easier than porting a NES game. Though yes I know it would def be much easier to make a game from scratch than to port an existing game to another console. Possibly, even over intense ASM Rom hacking especially with Ouya and other tools given to make games now a days. Then again I suppose there will always be big enthusiasts who like a challenge.

tryphon

• View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: April 05, 2014, 12:14:09 pm »
I think the author used his convertor on Mario because it's a game whose source code has been fully studied and understood, so he could rewrite easily what his tool couldn't translate.

If no other game has been converted since, it's likely a proof that the conversion isnot such straightforward.

I don't think any GB game has been so much studied as NES Mario.

johnny

• View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: April 05, 2014, 12:43:51 pm »
I think the author used his convertor on Mario because it's a game whose source code has been fully studied and understood, so he could rewrite easily what his tool couldn't translate.

If no other game has been converted since, it's likely a proof that the conversion isnot such straightforward.

I don't think any GB game has been so much studied as NES Mario.

Would Metroid be a more feasible option? I know as far as getting the 6502 asm its located here. I guess it would then be a matter of converting the 6502 asm into the M68K asm as was done with SMB.

Sunken

• View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: April 05, 2014, 04:41:42 pm »
Hi there!

I have a special request for Fortune Street on the Wii...

I have detected a bug in the game which makes multiplayer mode unplayable...

When you play in multiplayer mode (local) with 3 or 4 players, the game freezes after a couple of hours no matter what you do, it's inevittable... The game freezes with a squeezy sound and you can't do anything except turning off the console...
This bug never appear if you play in solo or 2P mode...

I've tested it on a Wii, Wii U with both original disc and ISO and the problem is still the same which shows there's a glitch in the game code...

I tried to contact Square Enix and Nintendo for a bugfix but they never answered... :(

So, I'm asking to the only community which I think is able to fix that (it's probably just a little thing to change in the code but unfortunately, I'm not as talented as you...)

Thanks for all your help!

Best regards

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: April 05, 2014, 05:24:01 pm »
Even though I don't mind it, here's an idea for hack (or perhaps hacks) involving Kamen Rider Dragon Knight.
1. An "Easy mode" hack that halves the XP requirements and changes the "No Hit" and "No Advent" missions to a normal "Defeat All Enemies" mission with 25% higher level for the enemies in those missions.
2. Doubt this is possible, but Multiplayer would be great.

And, for All Generations Kamen Rider, I think we need a translation for it, right?

tryphon

• View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: April 05, 2014, 05:27:00 pm »
Would Metroid be a more feasible option? I know as far as getting the 6502 asm its located here. I guess it would then be a matter of converting the 6502 asm into the M68K asm as was done with SMB.

I don't think it would be "more" feasible, but it's certainly an interesting challenge. It may interest me (I wonder how much time it takes to disassemble an entire game like that).

johnny

• View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: April 05, 2014, 10:09:43 pm »
I don't think it would be "more" feasible, but it's certainly an interesting challenge. It may interest me (I wonder how much time it takes to disassemble an entire game like that).

That would be awesome if you took on a challenge like that. Though I do get what you're saying that it is lots of work.

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: April 08, 2014, 01:32:56 am »
So, I know there's a Super Mario 2D Land for Super Mario World, and also I know there's a very good Super Mario Bros 3 hack called Mario Adventure, so... Why is it no one is making nor made a Super Mario 2D Land/World by hacking Super Mario Bros 3 instead, specially considering how Super Mario 3D Land/World draws much more from Super Mario Bros 3 than Super Mario World?