News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 1304936 times)

OneCrudeDude

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #1140 on: March 17, 2014, 11:16:36 pm »
Another technical question.  Would it be possible to hack certain NES games (like Wheel of Fortune) to allow the Famicom Keyboard to be used?  The controller is too unwieldy to type anything with, and since there was an official keyboard, maybe it would be possible to add typing functionality to NES games.  Any documentation on this exists?

Zero Dozer

• Wow, I've used that Eminem quote for a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: March 19, 2014, 12:22:23 pm »
I was wandering around the games I play, and then I thought on some things.

Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana > There is that strange bug when you finish the game that freezes the game unless you have the character voices turned off before the final battle. Can that bug be solved?

GTA: San Andreas > I do not know the full bug list, but there are some bothersome loading bugs, like losing cars on your garage on Doherty (San Fierro), losing your racing paint job on a car (happened on the same garage), and the most blasted of them all: sometimes, when you get on a car, all of the other cars are of the same model as yours...

mantidactyle

• View Profile
    • PokéPlayer
« Reply #1142 on: March 19, 2014, 03:48:57 pm »
Another text-editing-related request would be Pokemon Red/Blue. There are text editors for the GBA games on here, but nothing for the originals.
I made a quick search for it, and found a program named RBText which seems to have been discontinued. You can Google for it.
I don't know if it is in a usable state.

If it is needed and if it doesn't already exist, I can code a text editor for US Red/Blue, but I'd like to not spend time on something that would never be used, if possible.

OneCrudeDude

• View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: March 20, 2014, 02:14:56 am »
GTA: San Andreas > I do not know the full bug list, but there are some bothersome loading bugs, like losing cars on your garage on Doherty (San Fierro), losing your racing paint job on a car (happened on the same garage), and the most blasted of them all: sometimes, when you get on a car, all of the other cars are of the same model as yours...

Most of those can be chalked up to the PS2 being, admittedly, a piece of crap.  The "all the vehicles are the same" is in fact a limitation from the PS2's abysmal RAM.  You're better off modding the PC version, as with newer games, modding the PC version would be much easier than hacking a console game.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: March 20, 2014, 03:04:33 pm »
For the Atelier game is this just a "save before the final boss, then the final boss" affair or a point (bug?) of no return? If it is an actual stuffs up the game thing then a save editor to change the voices, or a cheat I guess, would be the thing to look at first of all.
If it is a known thing and solved by visiting the options menu then you might have to wait. Fixing the bug should be possible, I never want to say something like this is easy until I know what is going on but usually it is something like the ending being missing, corrupt or something like that.

As for GTA it seems OneCrudeDude and I share a sentiment in "just hack up the PC version". In times past I had wanted to see what might happen if I randomised some character stuff so I was not in clone country, never set about it though. On a slightly related note has anybody ever looked at the "random" generation algorithm for vehicles and the like? Popular thought has it that it is not random even when you take into account the area biases but I never saw any actual work done on it for the 3d GTAs.

Zero Dozer

• View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: March 21, 2014, 01:01:32 pm »
I heard it is a serious glitch that stops some voice from playing before the credits roll or something. It can only be avoided by turning the character voice off before the final boss.

Well, there sure is a hell lot of work for the PC versions of GTA: San Andreas. And in Brazil, it goes as far as the PS2 version having a full list of hacks. GTA down here in this hellhole is something like Mega Man or Castlevania for them...

Thanatos-Zero

• NES Graphic Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: March 21, 2014, 05:03:58 pm »
Lately when I was playing Pokemon Crystal, I came across the many various tools, which allow you to edit the pokemon games. However I haven't found any tools, which are focused on editing Pokemon Stadium and Pokemon Stadium 2.
I would like to play those games with modified attacks and base stats for a even greater playing experience.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 05:14:34 pm by Thanatos-Zero »

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: March 21, 2014, 08:48:16 pm »
The lack of anything for pokemon stadium is probably more due to the N64 not being so popular to hack, also seen as said games draw heavily from reading the original GB/GBC carts (so most people would hack them instead) it might be harder to do something.

As for the Atelier stuff I was trying to figure out more if it is the sort of thing that sees you either
1) Getting and earlier save and losing progress (possibly a lot of it) or restarting the whole game

2) Something that just means you load the save you make before the final boss and remember to turn if off this time.

If it is 1) then it would be worth a serious look. 2) would also be worth a look but it would be more if someone was curious and fancied a challenge.

TheUnderfaker

• View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: March 22, 2014, 09:47:08 am »
What if.. Someone hacked/translated the Mega Drive rom "Nekketsu High School Dodgeball Club: MD Soccer"
to be in English and have a "Sega World Cup" title screen? kind of like Nintendo did with their NES translation.

bradzx

• View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: March 22, 2014, 10:40:37 am »
I notice most of pokemon game of start, there are only white people.  I thought myself, why not all pokemon make a hack for black people?  It make more better and be fair for each other for black and white people.
Are you huge fan of Megaman Xtreme 2?   Then check this progress of Remastered version!

Zero Dozer

• View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: March 22, 2014, 03:13:42 pm »
Fast, if you mean Atelier Iris, I think it doesn't do anything that damages the game save, the game just freezes at a specific point, before the credits.

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: March 22, 2014, 05:59:36 pm »
I notice most of pokemon game of start, there are only white people.  I thought myself, why not all pokemon make a hack for black people?  It make more better and be fair for each other for black and white people.
It's going to be ironic if the game is called the Black and White version. Zelda games can use the treatment too.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 07:10:12 pm by Jeville »

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: March 22, 2014, 10:41:58 pm »
I'm sure people started making those jokes the instant the game was announced.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: March 23, 2014, 02:04:50 pm »
It's going to be ironic if the game is called the Black and White version. Zelda games can use the treatment too.
Legend of Zelda: The Gerudo Savior

OneCrudeDude

• View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: March 23, 2014, 09:56:12 pm »
I'm sure people started making those jokes the instant the game was announced.

Yahtzee/Zero Punctuation referred to the fifth generation games as "Pokemon:  Racial Tension" or something along those lines.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1155 on: March 24, 2014, 03:21:12 pm »
That did remind me when people complained Babysitting Mama for the Wii only came with a white doll.
I can't be the only one to question the demand for the game as it is, let alone trying to sell many racial variants. :P
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

OneCrudeDude

• View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: March 24, 2014, 03:28:35 pm »
A third party game for the Wii...I bet that sold like 3,000 copies.  Wii has notoriously low attach rates for third party games.

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: March 27, 2014, 09:36:26 am »
The lack of anything for pokemon stadium is probably more due to the N64 not being so popular to hack, also seen as said games draw heavily from reading the original GB/GBC carts (so most people would hack them instead) it might be harder to do something.
At least changing rental Pokémon and modifying their stats and movesets should be doable, no? That should eliminate a lot of the need for GB(C) Pokémon anyway.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: March 27, 2014, 11:12:24 am »
Well seen as Stadium should have support for all the mons and moves of the original game (plus a few extra moves if memory serves*) then yeah rental mon changing should be possible. Assuming the original devs did not try for security or program badly it should just be a basic call to a function and fiddling with an array as well. Personally I would be more inclined to figure out how to emulate the GBC game in a way that the N64 emulator can speak to it (I imagine it is little more than a save grabber and maybe a glorified ROM dumper) though.

Now if you wanted to hack an in game mon generator then that would be a hack worth taking note of.

*it is going back many years but I believe the "do a random move" thing had an additional one called waterfall or something.

mantidactyle

• View Profile
    • PokéPlayer
« Reply #1159 on: March 27, 2014, 01:43:21 pm »
I'm currently working on Pokémon Stadium 2, and I've posted offsets for rental Pokémon on datacrystal. I'll post a lot more data in a few hours.
Quote from: FAST6191
rental mon changing should be possible
It is possible, and it's very easy to do :

You can change Rentals / Types / Names / Text / CPU Pokémon and which animation is used by which move very easily.
I'm looking into how some move effects are scripted (Disable, Encore...) so I can insert other effects after modifying the pointers (it would allow to insert complex moves like Taunt and Torment in the game for example)
Quote from: FAST6191
Assuming the original devs did not try for security or program badly
Actually there is a complete list of which moves combinations are legal on which Pokémon. If this check fails, the trainer's name is displayed in purple. There is a check on Pokémon stats and a check on moves data too.

I'll take care of Pokémon Stadium 1 right after the 2.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 10:06:27 pm by mantidactyle »