News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 1306033 times)

schtolteheim

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #1120 on: March 03, 2014, 11:02:25 pm »
Legacy of the Wizard (...) had one flaw, and that is the fact that the game is not linear.

Try saying that about Metroid!
"Lemme tell you, Metroid may be a pretty good alternative to Probotector, only problem is the game isn't straightforward at all."

Or could it be that for some twisted reason you accept Metroid as your patron saint, but lay blame on LotW?

About the map

This game doesn't need one. Every room has its own look and they all are easily recognisable. As you traverse the dungeon you should be able to make a mental map, although I suppose to do that one cannot be the type who would write a shopping list for as little as a dozen items.
The underground world is about perfectly square, within there are the character-specific sub-segments, which take up big chunks of the whole (about a fifth each); those sub-segments are rectangular and are indeed mostly linear parcours, hardly convoluted stuff.
One segment is hidden due to its entrance being obscured. If you made a halfway accurate mental map, you will know which walls are its outline.

Even Metroid has bigger problems because of its primitive copy/paste nature. Brinstar's shafts are distinguishable only by colour and the other zones have several examples of reused corridors. It takes tenfold the effort to memorise Metroid's world.

The other points made are even more uninteresting and reek of modern game-design mentality. Lucky you there is a rapidly emitting faucet of lame-ass modern games.

I feel as if Legacy of the Wizard was designed by Satan himself.

I'm sure many NES-players had similar views back then, and hundreds of 'Mericans (no PAL version) whined to Nintendo Hotline counselors.

"This fu##in sucks, I dunno what to do in dis game. Lemme talk to the game designer! He must be Albert Speer or something! Is he trying to build Hitlerhausen here?! Either a Nazi or a lunatic or even Satan comitted this hideous crime. Make it so this doesn't happen again, your shitty game is broken! And send an exorcist to the goddamn development facilities!"

Developers overestimated the intellect of their customers, and games became dumber with every generation since.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 12:04:59 am by schtolteheim »

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: March 04, 2014, 12:27:25 am »
I'm sure many NES-players had similar views back then, and hundreds of 'Mericans (no PAL version) whined to Nintendo Hotline counselors.

"This fu##in sucks, I dunno what to do in dis game. Lemme talk to the game designer! He must be Albert Speer or something! Is he trying to build Hitlerhausen here?! Either a Nazi or a lunatic or even Satan comitted this hideous crime. Make it so this doesn't happen again, your shitty game is broken! And send an exorcist to the goddamn development facilities!"

Kind of a low blow there, dude, to pin the blame for the dumbing down of games over console generations on us States-ites.

(PS. I understand there may have been no European Nintendo Hotline, but don't even try to pretend PAL gamers never get upset over hard video games either. It's not like they were able to somehow magically figure out that there was no duck in Strigoi Graveyard because they're oh so much smarter than those stupid Murricans.)

TheUnderfaker

• View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: March 04, 2014, 12:53:05 am »
Another idea I had today.

The Super Nintendo RPG "Illusion of Gaia" has an English translation that is somewhat riddled with mistakes.
on this site a translator has written down some of the most obvious ones, varying from wrong interpretations
to just full on mistakes.

I googled a bit and discovered someone who said he was making an Illusion of Gaia text editor,
I don't know if this has been made yet, but if it is then I think it would be interesting to have these translations
implemented in the English rom, a fixup so to say.

Sadly I was in a rush and forgot to bookmark the thread where I found the message of the person saying
he or she was making a text editor for Gaia, but I do remember it being an old post (2005 i think?)
So it wouldn't surprise me if it never came to fruition.

Anyway, just my idea for the day.  :)

OneCrudeDude

• View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: March 04, 2014, 12:51:01 pm »
This is a question similar to my NES games being "cut down" for the GBA idea.  Supposedly, the SMS and GameGear use nearly identical hardware, and you could technically port games from one system to another, right?  What about hacks of GG games so that they work on the SMS that also increases their display resolution?

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: March 04, 2014, 01:41:52 pm »
Chris Covell has made a couple and also explained the differences:
- Games must be patched to remove the GG-specific I/O calls. Those will crash the SMS.
- Palette size is different. That must be accounted for. Since going from GG (12-bit color) to SMS (6-bit) results in losing information, palettes will probably need to be changed to look better.
- Palette changing effects will also need to be changed.
- Must work around the lack of the Start button (the Pause button is functionally quite different).

Not to mention ADDING information that didn't exist is harder than removing information.
(there were a few official GG-to-SMS ports released for the Brazilian market (like Sonic Blast, Earthworm Jim, and Legend of Illusion). Most of those just left the extra screen space blank, probably to avoid the effort of trying to increase the tilemap, etc.)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

TheUnderfaker

• View Profile
« Reply #1125 on: March 04, 2014, 01:59:25 pm »
I would kill for an SMS port of Shining Force Gaiden: Final Conflict.  ;D

OneCrudeDude

• View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: March 04, 2014, 02:33:16 pm »
So you're saying the GG is actually stronger than the SMS, at least it can display more colors?  Wow, Sega were really ahead.

tryphon

• View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: March 04, 2014, 04:35:42 pm »
I would kill for an SMS port of Shining Force Gaiden: Final Conflict.  ;D

And not for a Genesis port ?

TheUnderfaker

• View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: March 04, 2014, 07:07:57 pm »
And not for a Genesis port ?

I would very much prefer a Genesis port, but GG to SMS seems a more realistic idea.

tryphon

• View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: March 04, 2014, 07:15:54 pm »
You own a SMS ?

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: March 04, 2014, 07:30:45 pm »
Incorporate some Nintendo characters that didn't exist during the NES era. Pikmin, Animal Crossing villager, F-Zero, or Waluigi, etc. into NES games you see fit. The game doesn't necessarily have to be like the ones they came from if that's not possible. For example, what simulator NES game can fit Animal Crossing well?

Azkadellia

• Forum Moderator
  • 提交向你的情妇!
    • View Profile
    • Princess Translations
« Reply #1131 on: March 04, 2014, 07:32:38 pm »
I would very much prefer a Genesis port, but GG to SMS seems a more realistic idea.

Just use Shining Force 2's engine. A lot of the areas are identical, if a little subdued to the GG's graphical capabilities.
Also, there's a community dedicated to the Shining series.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 07:38:09 pm by Azkadellia »
Current Projects: On hold indefinitely.
I do the Twitter thing now: https://twitter.com/MistressSaeko (expect lots of game streaming announcements)
Mistress of the RHDN Discord server.

TheUnderfaker

• View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: March 04, 2014, 08:24:37 pm »
You own a SMS ?

I own four of them. no flashcart yet though.

Just use Shining Force 2's engine. A lot of the areas are identical, if a little subdued to the GG's graphical capabilities.
Also, there's a community dedicated to the Shining series.

A genesis remake of Final Conflict would be a dream come true, maybe some day someone skilled enough can
reverse engineer the Shining Force 2 engine enough for people to recreate Final Conflict with it.

I loved the hell out of SF1 and SF2, but I never really played much Final Conflict.
I want too though, I saw a little bit of the intro of the game and it just screamed SF2 sequel.

Edit : I wonder if The Caravan editor is advanced enough to make full game mods with?.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 08:31:19 pm by TheUnderfaker »

mrrichard999

• So Goooood! :D
    • View Profile
    • GameFAQS Profile
« Reply #1133 on: March 11, 2014, 02:55:08 am »
Not sure if anyones done this but, make a hack that enables saving in Excitebike so you can save custom tracks.

http://www.romhacking.net/?page=utilities&category=&platform=&game=1663&author=&os=&level=&perpage=20&title=&desc=&utilsearch=Go

March 11, 2014, 02:56:30 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I'm not sure if I've made this suggestion before, but I'll say it.

Legacy of the Wizard is an often overlooked NES game, which is actually a well made game.  However, it had one flaw, and that is the fact that the game is not linear.  Doesn't sound like much, but one could play this game for HOURS without making any bit of progress.  This might be me, but this game would be in dire need of a hack that at least has a map you can access by pausing the game.  Plus, the only way you can save the game is if you crawl all the way back to the beginning screen, and if you die, you restart the game all over again.  So maybe have the inns act as a password hub as well.  Oh, and you can only equip items after finding one of those inns, which is necessary for this game.

I feel as if Legacy of the Wizard was designed by Satan himself.  It's more possible to beat Ooze on Action 52 than it is to beat this game.

Yeah this was one of those I want to throw my controller through the screen kind of games when you first got into it and got stuck :P

How about a Soulblazer hack :D

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: March 11, 2014, 05:40:59 pm »
Make RBI Baseball 3 more than a palette swap.

OneCrudeDude

• View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: March 14, 2014, 04:30:03 am »
Here's a funny one that'd be more of a novelty than anything.  A "localization" of Comix Zone that turns it into "Manga Zone", including the levels being in black and white, as well as being reversed.  All the enemies will be turned into generic "character-tans" that just vaguely resemble who they're supposed to be, but are girls that say "Nanda-Yo" when hit.  The sound driver would be replaced with something that would sound J-Pop-ish, probably the Valis sound driver.

JoeresioRex

• View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: March 14, 2014, 04:24:50 pm »
Hey guys I'm new to the community and this my first post 

REQUEST:

So I've been playing Super Mario Kart since 1992 and I've been searching FOREVER for a code/hack that allows you to use the items that the computer AI does. Is this not possible or something or am I the ONLY person to have ever wondered about this? There are so many hacks for this game and I'm boggled to why this has never been addressed anywhere on the internet and it's 2014! For example: Poison Mushroom, Fireball and Yoshi's Egg. Could someone create such a code or let me know if it can't be done? I've always thought that old school games didn't use software that wasn't that complicated and its something that's CLEARLY in the game so why hasn't this been pulled off? Thanks Guys!

vince94

• View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: March 15, 2014, 05:15:55 pm »
I too would greatly appreciate some kind of text editor for Illusion of Gaia. It's a great game with a plot that feels like it's deeper than the translation lets on.
Another text-editing-related request would be Pokemon Red/Blue. There are text editors for the GBA games on here, but nothing for the originals.

Another idea I had today.

The Super Nintendo RPG "Illusion of Gaia" has an English translation that is somewhat riddled with mistakes.
on this site a translator has written down some of the most obvious ones, varying from wrong interpretations
to just full on mistakes.

I googled a bit and discovered someone who said he was making an Illusion of Gaia text editor,
I don't know if this has been made yet, but if it is then I think it would be interesting to have these translations
implemented in the English rom, a fixup so to say.

Sadly I was in a rush and forgot to bookmark the thread where I found the message of the person saying
he or she was making a text editor for Gaia, but I do remember it being an old post (2005 i think?)
So it wouldn't surprise me if it never came to fruition.

Anyway, just my idea for the day.  :)

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: March 15, 2014, 10:56:29 pm »
I would like to see a hack for Yoshi's Story where instead of playing one level of each page, you play all four levels of each page and at the end of the fourth level of each page, you fight one of the four bosses from the sky and snow levels of page 3.

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: March 17, 2014, 01:38:53 am »
I haven't thought of this until now... But someone could make an "absolute direction" hack for PS1 Resident Evil games and Deadly Silence... What I mean by absolute direction? Let's recap:
We know that RE has a "driving" controller. Press Up, you walk forward. Left and right turns, down allows to walk back.
However, let's now move our eyes to a game like Zelda. You press up, the char moves up. You press down, the character moves down. Left and right, obviously, makes them walk to those directions. That is "Absolute Direction".

How it would be applied in RE? It would only move in "absolute directions" if you did not have your weapon drawn. With the weapon drawn, it would return to "driving controls" from the sake of aim.

However, this has some problems... Whenever the camera changes, you have to ensure that you are still moving in the same direction somehow, so you don't end up "changing the course" by accident. That and the fact some rooms are made for walking in a very specific angle.

Tackled the first of those problems, a hack like this would certainly end up as a very useful hack.