News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 1387963 times)

Thanatos-Zero

• NES Graphic Designer
    • View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #1060 on: January 30, 2014, 08:20:24 pm »
I see Vanya. I still would love to see a Red Mage in a FFV hack which can use any spell.

I wonder if Grimoire LD is interrested to do such a thing for the SNES or GBA version.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: January 30, 2014, 08:58:10 pm »
I posted my idea over at the slick productions forum and he commented on it.
Specifically he pointed out that it would require documenting the Job Change Routine which hasn't been done yet.

You know, there is another way to handle this that I just remembered from FF6 & FF4gba. I t could require almost as much work, but how about instead of relying on the Job Change Routine create an accessory to trigger the changes?

You'd still need to create a custom command for the battle menu, but it could simplify things.

The code logic would then be like this:

Is the "Sage's Soul" equipped? Yes.
Is the current job "Red Mage"? Yes.
Is the "Red Mage" job mastered? Yes.
Is the "White Mage" job mastered? Yes.
Is the "Black Mage" job mastered? Yes.
Is the "Time Mage" job mastered? Yes.
*Is the "Summoner" job mastered? Yes. (*Optional step used if going for FF3 style sage.)
---
If so:
Change job name to "Sage".
Change default command to "All Magic".
Load "Sage" sprite.

This way you don't have to move any data around to expand the existing stuff. It could even be made to take effect in the Job menu.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 09:12:21 pm by Vanya »

OneCrudeDude

• View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: January 31, 2014, 04:03:22 am »
Anyone remember these flash games?

http://www.brokenfunction.com/

They're basically Flash Mega Man games that place Mega Man inside two different NES games, Ghosts N Goblins and Metroid.  Considering how old these are, and given the subject matter, I'm surprised that no one has attempted to recreate them, at least their levels.  Then again, ASM hacking the NES Mega Man games, especially if you want to program special functions, is hilariously difficult.  Still though, an NES Mega Man game where he has to enter different NES games and fight their characters would be pretty neat.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: January 31, 2014, 07:15:10 pm »
I see Vanya. I still would love to see a Red Mage in a FFV hack which can use any spell.

I wonder if Grimoire LD is interrested to do such a thing for the SNES or GBA version.

Someone pointed out that the X-Magic ability is able to display all types of magic at once based on which are equipped. It would probably be a good basis for a custom "All Magic" command.

Clippit

• View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: February 02, 2014, 06:01:21 pm »
Someone should take NES Batman's prototype version and add the final version's battle with The Joker and its ending cutscene. Both versions feel incomplete... mixing them together would make the perfect game... if do-able.
"I swear my victory to this feather!"

C_CliFF

• View Profile
    • General CoolNES Translations
« Reply #1065 on: February 03, 2014, 10:00:49 am »
I don't know if this has already been requested, but making the ATB gauge in FFIX faster. Not ridiculously fast but like FFVII and FFVIII.

-C_CliFF

Celice

• View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: February 03, 2014, 06:43:34 pm »
I don't know if this has already been requested, but making the ATB gauge in FFIX faster. Not ridiculously fast but like FFVII and FFVIII.

-C_CliFF
I know there is a difficulty hacks forum dedicated to making hard versions of games, and they have some projects for all the Final Fantasy games, including IX. Maybe check them out and see if they have some info or work with the ATB gauge?

http://www.insanedifficulty.com/board/index.php?/files/category/1-mods/page__sort_by__ASC__sort_key__file_name__num__10__st__10

C_CliFF

• View Profile
    • General CoolNES Translations
« Reply #1067 on: February 04, 2014, 07:32:56 pm »
I know there is a difficulty hacks forum dedicated to making hard versions of games, and they have some projects for all the Final Fantasy games, including IX. Maybe check them out and see if they have some info or work with the ATB gauge?

http://www.insanedifficulty.com/board/index.php?/files/category/1-mods/page__sort_by__ASC__sort_key__file_name__num__10__st__10

Thanks for the link. I went to the forums and I saw a thread about it but with no replies. I made a shot at it myself and found where the ATB gauge speed is in memory:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2C-sKakVGk

It's the first time I look into a PSOne game like this and using pSX debugger.

The adress in memory for the ATB gauge is at:
Code: [Select]
0x108F2A  -  ATB Gauge for Character 1
0x108FFA  -  ATB Gauge for Character 2
0x1090CA  - ATB Gauge for Character 3
0x10919A  - ATB Gauge for Character 4

The original value is 0A, and if I changed it to 40 it goes that fast you see in the video.

This is what I got at the moment. I just tested this in the first battle so I haven't looked into it very much, like what gets changed if you change the battle speed in menu, use Haste or anything, plus I still need to find where all this is in ROM.

EDIT:

Nevermind the request. It's done and will get submitted very soon.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 04:06:03 pm by C_CliFF »

OneCrudeDude

• View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: February 06, 2014, 12:05:09 am »
Here's a simple idea, but an idea that would potentially be very difficult to actually perform.  What about a hack of Double Dragon 1 that allows two player simultaneous support?  Colors aren't an issue since player one uses two palettes (black/blue/pink for his body and black/red/pink for his face), and player two was almost always entirely red.  There might be some CPU issues as the game runs pretty slow as it does, not to mention that the primitive mapper hardware wouldn't be able to juggle two copies of player sprites at the same time.

Likewise, what about a hack of Double Dragon 3 that makes the game easier in some form?  I do remember reading that the enemy's life was directly based on the player's life, meaning if you raised your HP, theirs went up also.

mrrichard999

• So Goooood! :D
    • View Profile
    • GameFAQS Profile
« Reply #1069 on: February 07, 2014, 01:20:52 am »
Im surprised after all these years no body has made a hack for duck hunt where they could actually shoot the dog :P

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #1070 on: February 07, 2014, 11:31:12 am »
Mega Drive hacks I'd like to play:
Landstalker - There's a handy shadow when jumping, and you don't hit walls instead of enemies in cramped spaces any more. You also can no longer button mash key enemies to death, because their AI is now pretty good. Bubble enemies no longer scream when killed. The inventory is slightly larger now, and colours have brightened, pleasing the eyes of the player.

Kid Chameleon - Cheap hits/kills are fewer. Movement control is somewhat tighter, down-thrusting blocks is easier, and hover board controls are less sensitive. You no longer get crushed from destructible (by touch) blocks if you ride into them on an elevator. If you pick up a helmet while another helmet is dropping from a block, the other helmet no longer disappears. The placement of items is changed in a way that makes getting to them always feel worth it. Finally, there's an easy to use level editor (it's in the works IIRC), and an option to play as Alex Kidd (lol).

Atomic Runner - You can now adjust your jump height and run to the left. Alternate weapons have been added where the homing missiles used to screw you over. Somersault controls are changed so that they are activated by pressing jump again while in the air.

The Lost Vikings - There's a Kaillera mode where players have their own screens, and the game is faster paced overall. The Amiga music has been carefully ported over and inserted where it fits, and there are no annoying sound effects. Enemies can no longer shoot from off screen, and the Vikings can look up and down for hazards, like Sonic. Items carry over to the next stage, and there's a checkpoint power up which is rare but oh so useful. The hit detection is perfect.

King Colossus - There's less dead space, game difficulty and weapons are better balanced (bombs can now be used as weapons btw), and your melee attack is a bit faster. The hit detection is perfect. Herbs are no longer auto-used should you be carrying one when finding a new one. You now get to keep the death scythe after the gladiator battles along with the other weapons. Even the colour palette has been touched up in places.

The Story of Thor/Beyond Oasis - Both the scrolling and the hit detection are tighter, and cheap hits are minimized. The six button controller is used better, making combos easier to pull of so you'll want to keep using them. The soundtrack and sfx are less grating, and someone wrote a more upbeat and adventurous tune for the overworld, as well as new, exciting boss music. Running around is less clunky - you can change directions and breaking is quicker. Getting knocked over is less of a hassle. There are no areas where it looks like you can exit in spots where you can't. Silver Armlet and the Wizard before the plant elemental are no longer pushovers.

Eliminate Down - The sound engine is reworked with care, making everything sound as good as in TFIV. Checkpoints stay after losing a credit OR your weapon is only downgraded one step after losing a life (which feature you want can be chosen in the options menu). No more safe spots.

Adventures of Batman & Robin - There's an easy mode which isn't as repetitive and where enemies take fewer hits to kill. Targeting controls are now perfectly responsive and can be switched on the fly like in Contra: HC. No more checkpoints where you can't re-power up your weapon.

Pulseman - You can control the voltecher power better by moving in one of four different directions on activation (still defaulting to diagonally upwards), and the dash move is less clunky to use (either mapped to its own button via six button controls or to a more comfortable combination like down+jump) while running is set to double tap or its own button (because auto-run after a few steps is crap for this game). The delay after dashing is shortened, as is the invincibility time on the jump kick so that bosses can actually hurt you in-between the kicks, hopefully forcing you to dash away instead. The hit detection around spikes now works properly. Enemies are more interesting, and there are more of them where previously there were none or very few. There's no slowdown from charged shots any more. You no longer lose the voltecher power up item when moving between sub areas of a level, getting punished for no reason. You can look up and down like Sonic, preventing some blind jumps. In the bonus level there's a notifier showing where the paddle is when Pulseman moves away from it, making it more playable. The autoscrolling level is more fun.

Monster World IV - It has momentum based jumps, and running (now mapped to a button instead of double-tap) is no longer canceled when transitioning between screens. MWIII equipment mechanics are back, and most of the bosses are harder. Returning to beaten areas is now possible. Shion is an unlockable character. Pre-dungeon levels are slightly longer and more intricate, while the ice palace has been made less tedious.

X-Men 2 - Adds a Kaillera mode where each player has their own screen. Players get to pick two characters to switch between during a mission OR a mission can be restarted with a different character (leaving the current character damaged until the next mission so you can't abuse it). The scrolling is tighter and everyone can look up and down like in Sonic. Characters are better balanced; Gambit is no longer taller than others when ducking and has a higher rate of fire than Cyclops. Characters can move while crouching. Magneto can hover (slowly) left and right and has better jump controls. In single player, no enemy can take up to 4 normal attacks but only 1 attack att full HP. Stage 2 is shorter but has slightly tougher enemies. Enemies can't shoot from off screen, and smaller projectiles can be blocked. An easy mode has been added with a few more checkpoints within levels, a few extra starting lives, and more 1-ups to find. No safe spots on bosses. Better hit detection when shooting enemies and around the exploding plants in the jungle. Jungle area is also a bit more open now. Annoying sound effects and instruments have been improved.

Aladdin - Fully playable Abu. The scrolling stays tight when jumping. Slashing while running won't cancel if you let go of the d-pad during the attack (same thing used to happen when landing from a jump - no more). Improved instrument quality for the music.

Wonder Boy in Monster World - Shion's initial movement speed has been bumped up a bit, his jump height can be adjusted, and he can attack up- and downwards (some enemies and areas have been altered to make this useful). There's a new boss in the underwater palace, and the final boss has been adjusted to somewhere in between the western and Japanese version in difficulty. Shield magic is now useful, while Thunder and Power magic has been weakened. The game overall is harder, longer and more varied, with some new creatures and music inserted from Monster Lair.

Quackshot - Donald moves a bit faster, and there are new platforming puzzles inspired by the indie game Fishbane. You no longer need to backtrack out of the temple in Mexico. The sound engine has been redone as well, further pleasuring the ears.

Mega Man: The Wily Wars - The movement controls are just like in MM3 NES now, and someone collaborated with LegendofRenegade to insert his music remixes into the game as faithfully as possible. You can pause while your bullets are on screen, although it does remove the bullets, and MM doesn't let go of ladders when you pause should he be holding onto one. The slowdown has been removed.

Contra: Hard Corps - Levels are slightly longer, the tedious tunnel boss fight is no longer tedious, and sliding is now consistent when on land and on water.

Dynamite Headdy - Bonus levels are fun now, the Stair Wars boss is pretty quick, and boss HP always feels just about right.

The Revenge of Shinobi - Joe can look up/down, and no longer goes auto-melee when standing above item crates/next to the metal lifts in the factory level/next to the doors in level 1. Knockback is consistent. There's no delay on throwing right after jumping. There's a neat toggle in the options menu between Shinobi 3-style somersault and original style. The original Joe has been added to the game as a playable character, though I'm not sure he can actually beat the game with the powers he has, but hey that's still pretty cool.

Ristar - The speed power up from the GG game has been inserted into the game, the traps on the fire planet work as intended, and the hit detection is perfect. Somehow the voice samples are cleaner as well.

Panorama Cotton - There's a Sega CD port, which is silky smooth and sounds amazing. There's also an option to make Cotton transparent if you're having a hard time seeing what's going on at any point.

Langrisser II - The difficulty scales better so the game doesn't become too easy near the end if you've played perfectly, and summons are worth it. The sound test works like in the first game. It's much harder to put the final boss to sleep now, perhaps impossible?!

Gunstar Heroes - You can now switch targeting controls on the fly, like in Contra: HC.

Rocket Knight Adventures - You can control the length of the rocket boost, and the easier autoscrolling sections have received an increase in difficulty.

Shinobi 3 - The horseback and surfing levels are noticeably harder on higher difficulty modes, climbing the ceiling is slightly faster, and there's a new double plane segment reminiscent of the previous games.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 11:37:43 am by PresidentLeever »
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

Clippit

• View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: February 07, 2014, 08:45:51 pm »
Im surprised after all these years no body has made a hack for duck hunt where they could actually shoot the dog :P
Get yourself a ROM of Vs. Duck Hunt:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0mx9dO3BxI
It can be played on an actual NES with this patch:
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1308/
This is the closest you'll ever get.  :P

mrrichard999

• So Goooood! :D
    • View Profile
    • GameFAQS Profile
« Reply #1072 on: February 07, 2014, 09:04:34 pm »
Get yourself a ROM of Vs. Duck Hunt:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0mx9dO3BxI
It can be played on an actual NES with this patch:
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1308/
This is the closest you'll ever get.  :P

That is pretty good but there can be something better made with the talent out there!

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: February 08, 2014, 01:43:40 pm »
You can also shoot Asshole Dog in Barker Bill's Trick Shooting, although you either lose a life or get an instant Game Over, I can't remember which.
Probably worth it at least once to some. :D
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: February 10, 2014, 01:13:27 pm »
Super Mario Bros. 1 hack that scrolls to the left.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: February 10, 2014, 02:05:59 pm »
How about a hack of SMB3 that recreates SMB1?

OneCrudeDude

• View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: February 10, 2014, 02:06:48 pm »
^ Do you mean as in "You progress right to left", or do you mean "you can move left or right"?  If the latter, that'd be tricky since the scrolling locking was actually a technical limitation, something to do with the nametables and horizontal mirroring, or so I heard.

Here's a crazy idea.  Everyone knows that Rocky and Bullwinkle is one of the ugliest NES games ever made, correct?  I had this idea where you replace every single background graphic with ones from better games.  For example, the train will be replaced with the train from Ninja Gaiden.

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: February 10, 2014, 03:34:02 pm »
^ Do you mean as in "You progress right to left", or do you mean "you can move left or right"?  If the latter, that'd be tricky since the scrolling locking was actually a technical limitation, something to do with the nametables and horizontal mirroring, or so I heard.
I mean the former.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: February 10, 2014, 06:46:35 pm »
Heh, I just mirrored the emulator and reversed the controls. That changes things a tiny bit, though I suspect many of us could do the first level Nes Mario by muscle memory alone it seems I also use a lot of visual cues.

Clippit

• View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: February 10, 2014, 08:45:35 pm »
How about a hack of SMB3 that recreates SMB1?
YES!!! ALL OF MY YES!!! I would've loved to do this, but I've never found a good stage editor... or at least one that's not MS-DOS based. This was also made with Super Mario World, so I don't see why not.