News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 1309754 times)

Jeville

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #1040 on: January 24, 2014, 07:43:20 pm »
Change the graphics of Zero Mission closely to that of the NES original.

CyberFox

• View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: January 25, 2014, 03:54:03 pm »
Change the graphics of Zero Mission closely to that of the NES original.
To be fair, I like the tilted logo - Gives the logo more flare

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: January 25, 2014, 05:55:09 pm »
It's for a nice nostalgia trip with better controls to swim through and the curiosity to see the extra animations in that look. I haven't played ZM myself.

Fionordequester

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: January 25, 2014, 06:58:43 pm »
Hey everyone, remember that awesome DBZ game for the GBA, "Dragon Ball Z: Buu's Fury"?  And do you remember how pathetically easy that game was?

Well, I have a few ideas, but the most important one, to me, is for someone to hack it so that it's more like Legacy of Goku 2, where instead of just getting stuck against a wall and being completely helpless against you, the bosses would be pushed back a good deal from each punch, and actually rebound off of the wall.  In fact, I would even take it a step further and make it so that, just like in Legacy of Goku 1, the bosses would sometimes not even get stunned.

So basically, my idea would be a combination of LoG 1 and 2, where sometimes the enemies would get stunned and rebound, while other times, they won't, like in LoG 1, so you can't just go swinging wildly like you normally would.  And of course, the frequency of bosses not getting stunned would go up the farther along you get in the game, you know what I'm saying?

Of course, I'm not sure how easy such a change would be, and I of course have NO skills in Rom Hacking besides finding where enemy stats and the like are stored, and changing them (which I think we all know is really, REALLY easy anyways).  Who here would know how to do this?

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: January 25, 2014, 08:04:23 pm »
On Dragon Ball Z is there not a title that is in need of a translation? I certainly recall stepping through the compression algorithms at various points for the text.

Your request is possible. Something like what Tony H was doing in http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,16917.0.html (though it is for sonic games) is probably what you want to be considering.

I can actually see it being a boss stat thing (if the stun thing is variable, or variable between game difficulties it is probably a stat somewhere) but more likely it will need someone to take it to assembly level, step through what happens on an enemy hit and then rejig the code there. The wall stuff might be harder though a nice easier fix might be to determine if the location is the same (or similar) for so many seconds then it teleports towards the middle of the screen or something, this would be killer in normal games but might actually fit quite well in the DBZ universe (adding a speed lines/fade to lines might be a bit harder though).

You can try for stats, I would look for things like boss health stats and then fiddle with everything nearby but realistically you will need someone with assembly skills, not amazing ones and if they made it as far as tracing ( http://www.romhacking.net/documents/361/ ) and can follow what Tony H was doing in that thread (which is to say they understand the idea of hit detection and interrupts) I linked then they should be able to do it.

Fionordequester

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: January 25, 2014, 08:53:10 pm »
For Dragon Ball Z translations, I can't think of any that do, although I really wouldn't be one to ask.  I'm not in the know about all those really obscure titles.

Anyways, yeah, I'll poke around at those boss stats, and then post a request on the requests section.  Thanks for the help!

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: January 25, 2014, 09:18:34 pm »
The main DBZ game I'd love to see a retranslation of is Legend of the Super Saiyan on the SNES.

Bland but fun game with some whacky translations.  I'd love to do that someday when I'm able to understand how VWF's work fully.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

Fionordequester

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: January 25, 2014, 09:34:13 pm »
The main DBZ game I'd love to see a retranslation of is Legend of the Super Saiyan on the SNES.

Bland but fun game with some whacky translations.  I'd love to do that someday when I'm able to understand how VWF's work fully.

Actually, I believe that actually got a pretty good one a few years ago, one that didn't have Vegeta dropping F-bombs when he went Super Saiyan  :laugh:!!

January 26, 2014, 01:10:57 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Well, I messed with the addressed around where Olibu's HP was located (not sure if all bosses use the same address for their HP), and except for one that caused the boss health bar to not disappear after the fight, all of them either did nothing, crashed the game, or would try and fail to load the next area once I exited the screen.  I messed with about 8-10 of them, not sure if that's enough to confirm that there's no "stun" value.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 01:11:35 am by Fionordequester »

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: January 26, 2014, 08:02:15 pm »
I know, but the Sage Class is not available in FFV. For example, in FFIV to become a sage you have to learn the arts of white and black (time magic was split between the two arts). Tellah was one of those, later Palon tried to become one, but didn't succeed, but his apprentice Leonara.
The Red Mage is but a Sage in the making.

That is an interesting argument. Though I would say mastery of magic comes with some downsides. You lose the abilities to use swords and light armor, as well as much of your existing physical prowess is lost. Though maybe its just because Tellah was old (he may have been more akin to a Red Mage in his youth) and Leonora, though has the potential to become a Sage, is more skilled in the healing arts.

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: January 26, 2014, 11:31:14 pm »
Maybe it is a dumb idea, but someone could translate the WSC versions of Riviera: The Promised Land. Specially because there are two english games (one on GBA, another on PSP).

And, additionally, one could think of doing the translation of Yggdra's Unison for DS (because localization never happened)

post corrected jan 27th
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 10:53:10 am by Tsukiyomaru0 »

Zynk

• WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
« Reply #1050 on: January 26, 2014, 11:34:16 pm »
Maybe it is a dumb idea, but someone could translate the DS and WSC versions of Riviera: The Promised Land. Specially because there are two english games (one on GBA, another on PSP).
There's a DS version?

May as well post one. Make events in Riviera skip-able.

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: January 27, 2014, 10:42:38 am »
There's a DS version?

May as well post one. Make events in Riviera skip-able.
Oops, sorry, I was going to mention DS for YGGDRA'S UNION. My bad. And, even in this case, it's Yggdra Unison.

I guess my eyes were pretty messed up last night from not sleeping two days straight.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 10:54:08 am by Tsukiyomaru0 »

CyberFox

• View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: January 29, 2014, 12:11:05 am »
How about a Dragon Quest 1 + 2 (SuFami) hack?

Here's what i want to see in this hack
- Both DQ 1 + 2 will get overhaul to make it a 2 part saga
- Story sees Erdrick/Loto teleported in a mysterious world known as the Fantaverse (no "Fanta" drink references please)
- Erdrick in part 2 [formerly DQ 2] will team up with Sniff [The Moomins], Rufus [The Dreamstone] and others

jpx72

• View Profile
    • JPx72's Oldschool Consoles Collector
« Reply #1053 on: January 29, 2014, 01:37:57 am »
I don't know is this is the right thread to ask in, but maybe someone can...
I felt in love with Megaman Reloaded hack www.romhacking.net/hacks/998/ but, as in the first Megaman, I am unable to beat the darned Yellow devil. Author of the hack deliberately disabled the "Select" button to forbid people to beat Yellow devil by using the Elecman beam+pause trick.
My question is, can someone please re-enable the Select as a pause button, to help me jump this boss? This hack is amazing by the way!

SCO

• View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: January 29, 2014, 08:24:47 am »
I believe Hoshigami Remix for the DS could be much improved just by a usability rom hack that disabled some animations (the 'xp gained one' on every single attack for instance) and separating the knockback and attack functions in different buttons (currently it presents a 'minigame' of press the button at the right time, which is just annoying and turns a already slow game slower).

Zoinkity

• View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: January 29, 2014, 08:38:06 am »
As far as FF5 not having sages, you're sort of confusing what they were doing with jobs as classes.  In many respects the vanilla guy is the sage, as they're able to utilize the abilities of all the jobs they've mastered.  Black mages specialize in attack magic, white mages in defense, but red mages despecialize in order to become spellslingers.  Quantity versus quality, if you will.

You can have so many crazy OP abilities in that game that the lv5 runthrough is, in many ways, easier than a normal playthrough.  Chemo-ninja-thief-blue-mimes.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: January 29, 2014, 09:01:30 pm »
As far as FF5 not having sages, you're sort of confusing what they were doing with jobs as classes.  In many respects the vanilla guy is the sage, as they're able to utilize the abilities of all the jobs they've mastered.  Black mages specialize in attack magic, white mages in defense, but red mages despecialize in order to become spellslingers.  Quantity versus quality, if you will.

You can have so many crazy OP abilities in that game that the lv5 runthrough is, in many ways, easier than a normal playthrough.  Chemo-ninja-thief-blue-mimes.

In terms of Final Fantasy, jobs are what other RPG systems refer to as classes. So you're making a distinction where none exists.
As far the Freelancers (the vanilla guy) being Sages, that is really not the case at all. Any character in FFV can use any command and it's associated abilities that they have learned by gaining job levels as long as they have an open slot in their menu to equip it. Given that magic in this game is split int Black, White, Time and Summon it's technically impossible to have a functioning FF3 style Sage (has all Black, White, Time, and Summon spells) and the only way to have the FF4 version would require the use of the Mime job which is the only one with 3 slots available but you'd be sacrificing Items.

To create a true Sage job in FFV would require the creation of a custom command that contains all the spells from at least White, Black, and Time. Given that to add a whole other job to really flesh it out, the next best thing would be to create a sort of meta-job system where, for example, setting up a character to use the Mime job and a specific set of abilities would trigger a special routine that would make changes to the game to make it seem like a normal job.

So essentially let's say that the requirements are that a character must master White Mage, Black Mage, and Time Mage. Then you take that character and set them to the Mime job and set up their menu to be Mimic (default), White Lv6, Black Lv6, and Time Lv6. Then when you go back to the party menu the custom code takes over and overrides specific values like changing the job name displayed to Sage, altering the magic menu so that the affected character can access all three sets of the associated spells for use in the menu. When a battle begins the custom code would then swap the character's commands for custom ones associated with the Sage meta-job.

A hack of this sort would only be limited by ROM space for the custom commands and any custom graphics that might be used. Plus it could be used to create several meta-jobs so that Necromancer, Gladiator, Cannoneer, and Oracle can be implemented without having to expand the menu system. Not to mention any other extra meta-jobs a hacker might want to create.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 06:49:51 pm by Vanya »

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: January 30, 2014, 02:24:23 pm »
Hm... I am wondering... Which would be easier to do in order to get the Dummied Out weapons of Phantasy Star Zero available?
* Translate the Japanese Version based on the American one (So one could use Japanese Passwords to obtain them)
* Hack them into the American one but make it possible to obtain them through password (but lock it so it can't be traded?)
* Hack them into the American one but make it possible to obtain through another means (like trading with JAP version or drops?)

As a note, I read somewhere that trying to retrieve a Dummied Out weapon through Jap to NA version trade results into the weapon turning into a generic. This could be due to it either being completely removed (somewhat unlikely) or just having its data slot redirect to a generic one (likely).

Thanatos-Zero

• NES Graphic Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: January 30, 2014, 07:01:26 pm »
In terms of Final Fantasy Jobs are what other RPG systems refer to as classes. So you're making a distinction where none exists.
As far the Freelancers (the vanilla guy) being Sages, that is really not the case at all. Any character in FFV can use any command and it's associated abilities that they have learned by gaining job levels as long as they have an open slot in their menu to equip it. Given that magic in this game is split int Black, White, Time and Summon it's technically impossible to have a functioning FF3 style Sage (has all Black, White, Time, and Summon spells) and the only way to have the FF4 version would require the use of the Mime job which is the only one with 3 slots available but you'd be sacrificing Items.

To create a true Sage job in FFV would require the creation of a custom command that contains all the spells from at least White, Black, and Time. Given that to add a whole other job to really flesh it out, the next best thing would be to create a sort of meta-job system where, for example, setting up a character to use the Mime job and a specific set of abilities would trigger a special routine that would make changes to the game to make it seem like a normal job.

So essentially let's say that the requirements are that a character must master White Mage, Black Mage, and Time Mage. Then you take that character and set them to the Mime job and set up their menu to be Mimic (default), White Lv6, Black Lv6, and Time Lv6. Then when you go back to the party menu the custom code takes over and overrides specific values like changing the job name displayed to Sage, altering the magic menu so that the affected character can access all three sets of the associated spells for use in the menu. When a battle begins the custom code would then swap the character's commands for custom ones associated with the Sage meta-job.

A hack of this sort would only be limited by ROM space for the custom commands and any custom graphics that might be used. Plus it could be used to create several meta-jobs so that Necromancer, Gladiator, Cannoneer, and Oracle can be implemented without having to expand the menu system. Not to mention any other extra meta-jobs a hacker might want to create.

That is one possibility, but there is another idea.

Mastering the White-, Black- and Timemage and the Summoner, transforms the Red Mage into the Sage and changes the Red! command to Sage! . All what would be needed are new sprites for all 5 characters and more job levels.

Or the easiest path would be my first suggestion, since it doesn't involve new sprites.
We could make the Red Mage even more time consuming to master if we add summoning to it.

Red Mage Lvl 0 can only cast Lvl 1 White, Black, Time and Summoning Spells and needs 75 ABP for Red Mage Lvl 1
Red Mage Lvl 1 can still only cast Lvl 1 White, Black, Time and Summoning Spells and needs 150 ABP for Red Mage Lvl 2. Upon reaching this level the character gains Red! Lvl1.
Red Mage Lvl 2 can cast up to Lvl 2 White, Black, Time and Summoning Spells and needs 250 ABP for Red Mage Lvl 3. Upon reaching this level the character gains Red! Lvl2.
Red Mage Lvl 3 can cast up to Lvl 3 White, Black, Time and Summoning Spells and needs 450 ABP for Red Mage Lvl 4. Upon reaching this level the character gains Red! Lvl3.
Red Mage Lvl 4 can cast up to Lvl 4 White, Black, Time and Summoning Spells and needs 550 ABP for Red Mage Lvl 5. Upon reaching this level the character gains Red! Lvl4.
Red Mage Lvl 5 can cast up to Lvl 5 White, Black, Time and Summoning Spells and needs 650 ABP for Red Mage Lvl 6. Upon reaching this level the character gains Red! Lvl5.
Red Mage Lvl 6 can cast all White, Black, Time and Summoning Spells and needs 999 ABP for Red Mage Lvl 7. Upon reaching this level the character gains Red! Lvl6.
Red Mage Lvl 7 can still cast all White, Black, Time and Summoning Spells. Upon reaching this level the character gains the DoubleCast command ability.

With Red! (or DoubleCast), Dark Arts! and Blue! the mimic can use any magic in the game, but to master the Red Mage would take a really long time.

This is here a little example of how the mastered Red Mage would look like in my vision.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: January 30, 2014, 07:59:14 pm »
That is one possibility, but there is another idea.

Mastering the White-, Black- and Timemage and the Summoner, transforms the Red Mage into the Sage and changes the Red! command to Sage! . All what would be needed are new sprites for all 5 characters and more job levels.

That's basically the same thing I'm proposing only with a way to access the new job at will instead of replacing an existing one.

Or the easiest path would be my first suggestion, since it doesn't involve new sprites.
We could make the Red Mage even more time consuming to master if we add summoning to it.

Red Mage Lvl 0 can only cast Lvl 1 White, Black, Time and Summoning Spells and needs 75 ABP for Red Mage Lvl 1
Red Mage Lvl 1 can still only cast Lvl 1 White, Black, Time and Summoning Spells and needs 150 ABP for Red Mage Lvl 2. Upon reaching this level the character gains Red! Lvl1.
Red Mage Lvl 2 can cast up to Lvl 2 White, Black, Time and Summoning Spells and needs 250 ABP for Red Mage Lvl 3. Upon reaching this level the character gains Red! Lvl2.
Red Mage Lvl 3 can cast up to Lvl 3 White, Black, Time and Summoning Spells and needs 450 ABP for Red Mage Lvl 4. Upon reaching this level the character gains Red! Lvl3.
Red Mage Lvl 4 can cast up to Lvl 4 White, Black, Time and Summoning Spells and needs 550 ABP for Red Mage Lvl 5. Upon reaching this level the character gains Red! Lvl4.
Red Mage Lvl 5 can cast up to Lvl 5 White, Black, Time and Summoning Spells and needs 650 ABP for Red Mage Lvl 6. Upon reaching this level the character gains Red! Lvl5.
Red Mage Lvl 6 can cast all White, Black, Time and Summoning Spells and needs 999 ABP for Red Mage Lvl 7. Upon reaching this level the character gains Red! Lvl6.
Red Mage Lvl 7 can still cast all White, Black, Time and Summoning Spells. Upon reaching this level the character gains the DoubleCast command ability.

With Red! (or DoubleCast), Dark Arts! and Blue! the mimic can use any magic in the game, but to master the Red Mage would take a really long time.

That's actually a lot more work than it sounds.
The problem with it is that you have to expand the job level data to include 3 new abilities for Red Mage or you have to remove 3 job levels from (an)other job(s).
Doing the former is a lot of work because you've have to either shift a bunch of data around or find a larger block of free space to move the data to and repoint anything that gets moved.
Doing the latter is just kinda lame, but far simpler.
And either way you still have to reprogram the Red! command  and add 3 abilities which again has similar issues to adding the job levels themselves.
Not to mention you could run into issues with the command menu if it has problems handling 4 spell lists in one menu.

This is here a little example of how the mastered Red Mage would look like in my vision.

Neat! They actually look really good in those colors. :)