News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 1309507 times)

FAST6191

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #1020 on: January 14, 2014, 05:14:46 am »
Does 9-Volt's games from the WarioWare series spark any ideas worth implementing? In Super Mario Bros. 3 from Twisted for example, it has the death graphic for big Mario.

Isn't this why we have the Retro Game Challenge/Game Center CX series? A few of those are in the process of being translated and would probably welcome some assistance (not sure what in right now but probably something).

cret

• View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: January 15, 2014, 04:22:51 am »
i have skills and an idea, but no time for it:
what about hacking an emulator instead of a rom, or even better hacking both. Best would be creating a remote-exploit for a rom such as pokemon, so that you can attack others game via vba-link, and then attack their vba-link. if they run it as an administrator you can take controle over their computers.  >:D  >:D  >:D  >:D  >:D

But please, don't be mean, just print a message on their screen: "You got hacked!"
go r2, use debug. .... White hand was fainted

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: January 15, 2014, 04:31:29 am »
Or not.
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: January 15, 2014, 11:41:38 am »
Yeah, that is not a good idea at all.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: January 15, 2014, 03:26:05 pm »
I have noticed something terribly annoying: there is no hack for "Castlevania: Dracula X" that fixes the terrible Dracula Boss Arena.

CyberFox

• View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: January 15, 2014, 05:18:58 pm »
I would like to see a MLP themed hack of River City Ransom
Where Rainbow Dash replaces Kunio/Alex and Rarity replaces Riki/Ryan
I'm talking full-on graphic overhaul and music as well as a new plot
Diamond Tiara will serve as the game's villain (to compensate the canon age, the plot involves tricking Twilight to speed up her age to Twilight's age when she first moved to Ponyville)

cret

• View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: January 15, 2014, 08:23:46 pm »
sorry for my euphoria.
producing malware is not my intention.

Yeah, that is not a good idea at all.

Don't you think it's a bit scary, that most people run handheld-emulators, which were never pentested?
I think that this situation is quite dangerous (i can only talk about the gameboy). Pokemon Blue is an excelent example for this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3EvpRHL_vk <--- you know this video?
what we see her is emulated execution on the ram-area, futher more we see execution on the ram-area with fixed offset, it won't change, so it's reproduceable.
You might say "hey, whats wrong with it, he's just playing pong on pokemon". Sure, he's just playing pong, and I don't think that this is bad, but it becomes a problem if you think about multiplayer-mode via lan or wlan in a public place or about downloading a rom from the internet. Multiplayer-mode can be quite dangerous, because the gameboy does not check buffer-overflows.
I guess that it could be easy for an attacker to inject some packages, which cause an overflow --> manipulate the return-address and delete your sav-file for example.
ok, this might be nasty but acceptable for you,
but is it ok for you if an attacker breaks out of your emulator and opens a remote-shell/bash/cmd on port 8080, or if he writes a payload in your sav-file which does so every time you start this game in the emulator.
yes, sav-files can cause overflows: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zd2595c_72M

if you don't know how exploiting works basically, but you're interresing in UNDERSTANDING (please don't bash me) read this: http://www.phrack.org/issues.html?issue=49&id=14#article

another issue is, how can you verify the rom your using?

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: January 16, 2014, 11:43:46 am »
I was not in especially great need of a laugh but I will thank you for that one anyway.

If ever it does happen, and that borders on bad film/TV show plot, then chances are it will be a directed attack anyway, if we were talking about more general virtualisation then I might be inclined to pay more attention. In the meantime if you especially wanted to attack the ROM using set you could probably get far more people by bundling nasty downloader toolbars and whatever else with ROM downloads, you mentioned pokemon and from what I have seen such things are not unheard of in those circles.

cret

• View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: January 16, 2014, 08:32:03 pm »
If ever it does happen, and that borders on bad film/TV show plot, then chances are it will be a directed attack anyway, if we were talking about more general virtualisation then I might be inclined to pay more attention. In the meantime if you especially wanted to attack the ROM using set you could probably get far more people by bundling nasty downloader toolbars and whatever else with ROM downloads, you mentioned pokemon and from what I have seen such things are not unheard of in those circles.

I remember how some people laughed about those guys  from the CCC 10 years ago, who said that there will be microcontrolers in their ironin board, that will do bad thing with our wlan. Ok, until today this didn't happen:
2013 instead of the ironing board the iron was used to attack http://www.geek.com/apps/chinese-appliances-are-shipping-with-malware-distributing-wifi-chips-1575315/

In IT-security-view it's always a bad idea to think, that no one would try a possible attack.  :banghead:  sorry this is in german: but it's a bit about why it is bad to say "this vulnerability will never be used to attack, so there is no need to fix it " :'( :'( :'(  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pvn2osMB0QA

OneCrudeDude

• View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: January 17, 2014, 01:56:29 pm »
Speaking of Pokemon, I have a technical question.  We all know that Gen 1 was poorly programmed, and Gen 2 does play considerably better.  My question would be, would it be possible to transplant the music and sounds (assuming Gen 2 uses completely new ones) from Gen 1 into Gen 2?  I guess a simpler question would be, do they share the same sound driver?  Because I always liked Gen 1 Pokemon, but how poorly put together it is always bugged me, even back in the day, and would love to remake Gen 1 with Gen 2's engine, preferably piggybacking off another hack that applies newer features such as moves being split into special and physical classifications.

cret

• View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: January 17, 2014, 04:55:09 pm »
hm, i think, this should be possible. it's the same hardware. But you have to look at the details, because the devil is always in the detail.

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: January 18, 2014, 04:36:52 am »
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past:
A hack that adds the new content and gameplay mechanics from the GBA port and restores all the stuff that got censored and changed in the American version to their original form.

Pokemon Crystal:
A hack that restores Jynx's colors and the sprites of some of the trainers that got censored in the American version to their original form.

Streets of Rage 2:
A hack that restores Blaze's jump kick sprite and Mr. X's cigar sprite from the Japanese version to the American version.

johnny

• View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: January 18, 2014, 08:46:56 am »
How about turning a Legend of Zelda game into Legend of Hilda and making Ravio the hero. The thing is, Ravio with the way he is dressed seems to be more of a mage so his sword would have to become a staff. Also his attire would have to be that bunny outfit. Possibly, one could use Link's already existing bunny form in Link to the Past and modify it to create Ravio. Would really be a twist if the final boss was Link like he's become evil or something seeing as how many Zelda games have lots of different timelines.

Zoinkity

• View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: January 18, 2014, 09:39:56 am »
Emulators are especially picky about writting to addresses outside their range, and they will treat any attempt to do so as an invalid virtual address.  They either ignore the request, pop up an error, or potentially crash.

With a small number of exceptions (FDS games provide an option, for instance) ROMs are copied into memory read-only.  You could potentially fry a save file, but without real hardware you couldn't do anything really interesting to the host computer or anything else with an emulator.

Emulators virtualize hardware with varying degrees of accuracy.  That you can exploit a game at runtime means very little unless the emulator provides a method of exploiting itself.  You're constricted by a protected enviroment.

Incidentally, the first instance of malware on random stuff would be some video picture frames that had a bootsect virus.

OneCrudeDude

• View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: January 18, 2014, 08:34:44 pm »
I was reading up on TCRF (more like randomly stumbled upon), that the NES version of TMNT2 has had numerous graphics revisions, mostly to fix some graphical errors.  Would it be possible for someone to hack TMNT2 and fix some of the graphics that either got corrected or redrawn?

http://tcrf.net/Teenage_Mutant_Ninja_Turtles_II:_The_Arcade_Game#Michaelangelo

Likewise, a color hack for this game would be awesome, albeit difficult, since most of the game is ENTIRELY too gray.

CalebSmashAKASmashHacks

« Reply #1035 on: January 22, 2014, 09:28:32 pm »
I have an idea on a ROM hack called, "Super Mario World: King Koopa's Revenge" where the story is while the princess is away, King Koopa is planning on destroying the Mushroom Kingdom and Mario needs to stop King Koopa from doing such a thing... I really suck at designing levels AND Nintendo Entertainment System palettes because I have a Windows PC and I can't do much. If someone was nice enough to make a application for modding NES palettes THAT DOESN'T GET TOUGH AND HAS NO HEX, I would be very happy.

M-Tee

• One pixel at a timeā€¦
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics

Thanatos-Zero

• NES Graphic Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: January 23, 2014, 11:11:27 am »
For Final Fantasy V for the SNES, GBA and other systems.
Make the Red Mage able to cast all White, Black and Time Spells, however the current spell grade the class can cast depends on how many levels of the class were mastered.

Red Mage Lvl 0 can only cast Lvl 1 White, Black and Time Spells and needs 50 ABP for Red Mage Lvl 1
Red Mage Lvl 1 can still only cast Lvl 1 White, Black and Time Spells and needs 100 ABP for Red Mage Lvl 2. Upon reaching this level the character gains Red! Lvl1.
Red Mage Lvl 2 can cast up to Lvl 2 White, Black and Time Spells and needs 150 ABP for Red Mage Lvl 3. Upon reaching this level the character gains Red! Lvl2.
Red Mage Lvl 3 can cast up to Lvl 3 White, Black and Time Spells and needs 250 ABP for Red Mage Lvl 4. Upon reaching this level the character gains Red! Lvl3.
Red Mage Lvl 4 can cast up to Lvl 4 White, Black and Time Spells and needs 350 ABP for Red Mage Lvl 5. Upon reaching this level the character gains Red! Lvl4.
Red Mage Lvl 5 can cast up to Lvl 5 White, Black and Time Spells and needs 450 ABP for Red Mage Lvl 6. Upon reaching this level the character gains Red! Lvl5.
Red Mage Lvl 6 can cast all White, Black and Time Spells and needs 900 ABP for Red Mage Lvl 7. Upon reaching this level the character gains Red! Lvl6.
Red Mage Lvl 7 can still cast all White, Black and Time Spells. Upon reaching this level the character gains the DoubleCast command ability.

Since the Red Mage is the Jack of all trades, he simple needs more ABP for to become the Ace of all trades.

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: January 23, 2014, 12:04:58 pm »
A Master of All Magic is a Sage, which is what it seems you would be suggesting. The Red Mage has always been the Jack of All Trades, while the Sage has traditionally been the "Ace of Magic" as you might put it.

Thanatos-Zero

• NES Graphic Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: January 23, 2014, 02:14:48 pm »
I know, but the Sage Class is not available in FFV. For example, in FFIV to become a sage you have to learn the arts of white and black (time magic was split between the two arts). Tellah was one of those, later Palon tried to become one, but didn't succeed, but his apprentice Leonara.
The Red Mage is but a Sage in the making.