News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 1309290 times)

Clippit

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #1000 on: January 08, 2014, 09:39:27 pm »
It'd be awesome to see a Pac-Man Plus hack on the NES. I might change the original Pac-Man's graphics to resemble those of Plus, but it also has some tiny tweaks in gameplay I wouldn't be able to recreate.
Another neat hack would be Ms. Pac-Man to Crazy Otto on the NES, or even a Pac-Man Jr. remake.
"I swear my victory to this feather!"

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: January 09, 2014, 03:30:40 pm »
Here I go for another idea-tossing:
- We could use some Cho Aniki games for, let's say... NES, GBC, GBA. Because the games were so bad they were good.
- Samurai Kid and Star Ocean Blue Sphere could use some translation.
- I guess we also need to give Shoot 'Em Up some love. Like Ketsui Death Label for DS needs a translation, Parodius GB could use a color hack (or perhaps Konami Collector GBC could get clipped so it plays only Parodius GB)

Sinis

• View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: January 09, 2014, 07:32:22 pm »
Since two projects of mine may never see the light of day from my end I'm gonna throw them into the suggestion box here!

Metroid (NES) converted into Metroid II: The Return of Samus

This Metroid hack would focus on complete customization to be turned into the GameBoy title Metroid II: The Return of Samus so it can live on the NES!  The idea would be to have it run on one emulator only, FCEUX, as it would most likely turn out to be bigger than the normal ROM space.  For the music, it would contain a mixture of the Sunsoft musical instruments combined with either the VRC6 or N163 sound chips.  A few extra added features would probably be animated tile sets for the backgrounds along with foreground graphics if possible.  Some graphics from Metroid II would need to be edited as some are a little bit taller, and bigger, than those located on Metroid.

Other features would include:

-Save Stations
-Map
-Special Item Indicator (like the one seen on Super Metroid)

Legend of Zelda (NES) converted into Link's Awakening

This Legend of Zelda hack would be fully customized into the GameBoy title The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening so it can live on the NES!  This hack would also have to be 'stuck' to one emulator only, FCEUX, as it would most likely become bigger than the allotted max ROM space.  For the music, it would consist of the Sunsoft instruments paired up with the N163 sound chip as I feel those two features would pair up best to bring out the feeling for LoZ tunes!  Understanding that some graphics located on Link's Awakening is about the same size as those on LoZ but editing would need to be done for best results.

-New Items alongside the current ones on Link's Awakening
-More hidden secrets!
-Maybe some new areas added as it would be converted onto the NES which, in return, would make the map bigger for more exploring and game time!
-Bigger dungeons
-More NPC side quests to adventure in!

furrykef

• View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: January 09, 2014, 09:35:33 pm »
It would be far simpler to rewrite those games from scratch than to try to hack existing ROMs into those games.

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
« Reply #1004 on: January 09, 2014, 10:12:17 pm »
Indeed, it may be easier to rewrite from scratch to achieve such things, which brings me to this.

Craftvania, although it's not a ROM hack, this is a close approximation to the Link's Awakening Vision you had:
http://zeldaclassic.com/viewquest.php?q=394
TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

Sinis

• View Profile
« Reply #1005 on: January 10, 2014, 01:07:39 pm »
@furrykef: Yeah it's understood!  I thought that 'dissection' a ROM and reprogramming stuff to make into something entirely different would probably be fun...in a sort of nightmarish, tedious twisted way of fun lol!

@Nightcrawler: Oh I see!  Reading that article now and it seems quite interesting.  From what I thought about is someplace on YouTube (can't find the darn video now, even from my history) is that someone hacked the original LoZ with new items.  I think it was the Pegasus Boots, Shovel and the Hookshot if my memory is correct.  There was a few others but sadly I can't remember lol.  I have given up on these two projects so hopefully these ideas will help someone else out or use it for a type of reference as everyone's stuff differs from one another!

OneCrudeDude

• View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: January 10, 2014, 06:54:39 pm »
According to some sources, the Japanese version of River City Ransom, "Downtown - Nekketsu Monogatari", was compatible with ASCII's TurboFile, which was an external data storage unit.  Does this feature still exist in the American game?  If not, would it be possible to re-implement it, or was the game's progress tracking changed too much?

Sure you could always -try- to hack battery backup into this game, I think it'd be perfect for such a thing.  Additionally, what about games that used peripherals such as the Famicom Disk System or Famicom Data Recorder to save data, could those systems be implemented for battery backup?  I just think those are interesting technologies that are rarely discussed due to emulators having the feature to save-state at any time.

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #1007 on: January 10, 2014, 08:33:54 pm »
Metroid (NES) converted into Metroid II: The Return of Samus

This Metroid hack would focus on complete customization to be turned into the GameBoy title Metroid II: The Return of Samus so it can live on the NES!  The idea would be to have it run on one emulator only, FCEUX, as it would most likely turn out to be bigger than the normal ROM space.  For the music, it would contain a mixture of the Sunsoft musical instruments combined with either the VRC6 or N163 sound chips.  A few extra added features would probably be animated tile sets for the backgrounds along with foreground graphics if possible. Some graphics from Metroid II would need to be edited as some are a little bit taller, and bigger, than those located on Metroid.

-Save Stations
-Map
-Special Item Indicator (like the one seen on Super Metroid)

Now this seems like a reasonable goal.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: January 10, 2014, 09:01:00 pm »
Considering there is already a Map + SRAM hack for Metroid, even more so. The truely ambitious, though, would try to recreate the complete set of enemies and upgrade equipment from Metroid II as well.

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #1009 on: January 10, 2014, 10:37:11 pm »
The map I knew of, not the SRAM.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: January 11, 2014, 06:26:19 am »
Yeah, same dude did both and I'm pretty sure it's in one patch.

Sinis

• View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: January 11, 2014, 07:36:27 pm »
Yeah, same dude did both and I'm pretty sure it's in one patch.

Oh?  It was already done by someone?  Well dang, had no idea  :P

Maybe an updated version then?  I dunno on what else to say on the matter as someone did it already LOL!

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: January 12, 2014, 12:46:46 pm »
You know, someone should totally go and make a hack for Ketsui Death Label that adds a visible hitbox for the player and a translation patch for it. I know someone over at Gamefaqs was thinking of making a translation patch once...

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: January 12, 2014, 06:13:32 pm »
Oh?  It was already done by someone?  Well dang, had no idea  :P

Maybe an updated version then?  I dunno on what else to say on the matter as someone did it already LOL!

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1186/

The map feature could be improved further, but it's still pretty damn awesome.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 08:04:13 pm by Vanya »

Sinis

• View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: January 13, 2014, 12:22:10 pm »
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1186/

The map feature could be improved further, but it's still pretty damn awesome.

Saves health and displays the items collected...wow!  I'm surprised that I never found that hack as I like playing the old Metroid game from time to time.

I'll have to look at it sometime and see on what they've done to it in depth!

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: January 13, 2014, 02:08:01 pm »
With a graphics overhaul and some light map editing you'd have the definitive version of the game for NES. They even completed the seemingly unfinished ice+wave beam functionality discovered with the NARPASSWORD code.

There are a few things I'd love to add though, like completely revamping Samus' graphics so that she resembles the Zero Mission sprite more and the missile mode is shown with and alternate cannon graphic instead of a palette swap.
Making the map a full separate screen would be great.
A full status screen with equipment toggles.
Converting the Chozo statues into charge stations and adding save rooms.
And adding at least Crateria if not also Chozodia would be great.

Watching James & Mike playing Bio Force Ape I thought a good hack would be to fix the damn map so you can see all of it at once instead of just single quadrants.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 05:22:48 pm by Vanya »

Sinis

• View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: January 13, 2014, 06:35:59 pm »
With a graphics overhaul and some light map editing you'd have the definitive version of the game for NES. They even completed the seemingly unfinished ice+wave beam functionality discovered with the NARPASSWORD code.

There are a few things I'd love to add though, like completely revamping Samus' graphics so that she resembles the Zero Mission sprite more and the missile mode is shown with and alternate cannon graphic instead of a palette swap.
Making the map a full separate screen would be great.
A full status screen with equipment toggles.
Converting the Chozo statues into charge stations and adding save rooms.
And adding at least Crateria if not also Chozodia would be great.

Watching James & Mike playing Bio Force Ape I thought a good hack would be to fix the damn map so you can see all of it at once instead of just single quadrants.

A Zero Mission styled NES Samus...never thought of that myself.  Would be interesting to do!  One could give her an animation while standing still though I can't recall if she had a standing animation in Zero Mission or not as it's been years since I last touched my GBA lol.

With a lot of that stuff, would one have to make it play on a specific emulator or just expand the ROM size?  Still don't know how that all works out lol!

I saw that video and was interesting to see a NES screen move that darn fast!  Almost makes a person try to find that ROM and see of how it's engine, or whatever it uses, ticks and turns lol.

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: January 13, 2014, 08:50:11 pm »
Does 9-Volt's games from the WarioWare series spark any ideas worth implementing? In Super Mario Bros. 3 from Twisted for example, it has the death graphic for big Mario.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: January 13, 2014, 09:05:03 pm »
Checking FCEUX debugger it verified what I thought: the map is a sprite.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: January 14, 2014, 01:39:47 am »
Checking FCEUX debugger it verified what I thought: the map is a sprite.

Eeewww...