News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Advanced SNES ROM Utility  (Read 3450 times)

MysticLord

• View Profile
Re: Advanced SNES ROM Utility
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2021, 08:42:08 pm »
I know I've seen *.xdelta patches for snes games, and I vaguely remember something called a *.bdiff (binary diff?), but I could be mistaken. Do we have tools to apply those patch formats? If we don't, is implementing them prohibitively complex (and of course do you want to make the effort)?

Dom

• View Profile
Re: Advanced SNES ROM Utility
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2021, 10:53:37 am »
O.K., Dom. Will not be there glitches if the ROM Final Fantasy IV - Easy Type (J) is into 8,00 Mo?
Especially expanding LoROM + SlowROM with an origin size of more than 16 Mbit to ExLoROM (48 Mbit or more) is causing some troubles at the moment. Final Fantasy IV - Easy Type (J) is only 8 Mbit, so there might be a good chance for it to work without any glitches. Just try it out and do some testing. Would be nice, if you could share your results. I tried and the only method working is expanding with mirroring. Do you really need more than 32 Mbit for your translation? If so, I would take a closer look at it this weekend  8)

I know I've seen *.xdelta patches for snes games, and I vaguely remember something called a *.bdiff (binary diff?), but I could be mistaken. Do we have tools to apply those patch formats? If we don't, is implementing them prohibitively complex (and of course do you want to make the effort)?
You're right! I also remember these kind of patches, but I guess they're very rare.

In my tool set, I found a tool called Delta Patcher by SadNES cITy Translations for *.xdelta.
But it seems I've never ran into *.bdiff, though there's a tool called BsPatch.

I managed to get *.bdiff working, but it doesn't seem to have any validation like BPS or UPS. So you easily can mess up your ROM, if you apply the same patch for a second, third or whatever time.

Xdelta is also known as VCDIFF and is a little more complex. But there seems to be a good chance for it, since this is available over NuGet package store  :)

October 08, 2021, 01:49:25 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
New version submitted!

XDELTA and BDF patches are supported now.

@Brutapode89: You now can try to expand your ROM, should work  ;)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2021, 01:49:25 pm by Dom »