News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: Shadowrun 2058 - New Update!  (Read 3055 times)

RHDNBot

ROM Hacks: Shadowrun 2058 - New Update!
« on: March 06, 2021, 12:42:06 pm »

Update By: vikfield

The new update for Shadowrun 2058 is now available! For those who still do not know this mod, Shadowrun 2058 is a mod whose main objective is to get even closer to the fictional universe of Shadowrun; To achieve this, the developer had to study several publications of said franchise in order to try to reflect as best as possible the rules and elements of these games.

Obviously, the most important thing in a game is that it be fun, right? That is why a constant effort has been made to implement improvements and correct errors (even within the same modifications made previously), in order to increase the gaming experience.

That is why, as this version has many new improvements, some modifications made in previous versions prevail and others do not; as is the case of the improvement of "increasing enemy encounters" that is linked to an infamous glitch; Many users have been able to overcome this bug by following the directions in the readme file, but others have not; So to provide a better experience for everyone, a small optional patch has been added to the download file that when installed in any version of "Shadow run" or "Shadowrun 2058", it will activate the function of "increasing enemy encounters".

This has been a long project that has been refined over time, so the developer hopes that this hack will be liked by users and that it will amuse anyone who decides to give it a try.

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

Gideon Zhi

• Discord Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
Re: ROM Hacks: Shadowrun 2058 - New Update!
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2021, 01:58:17 pm »
You know, I was just playing the original version of this for the first time a few weeks ago. This is kind of neat!

One thing, though. Did you, uh, consider reworking the taxi map? The layouts of the areas are fine, but their placement on the overworld is... not. Speaking as someone who *lives in* Redmond, the map places Redmond where Puyallup should be, and it places Puyallup more or less where Everett should be. (Puyallup is about 45 minutes south of Seattle; Redmond is about 20 minutes east, past Lake Washington and on the northern edge of Lake Sammammish, and Everett is about 45 minutes north.) Maybe I'm being pedantic but I've lived in the region for nearly eight years now and this bothered me more than it probably should have, heh.

vikfield

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2021, 04:31:16 pm »
Wow I didn't know it! to be honest, besides Seattle, I allways thought that all the locations was fictional  :P; but know that you told me, I  think I need do something about it. just tell me how it suppose to be named every location and perhaps I can do something on respect.
Rock & Roll, chummers!!

Naniyue

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2021, 11:15:53 pm »
  Does this include new (random) Matrix maps?  For a long time, I've wanted to have new Matrix runs like I can have new DooM levels.

Regardless, I will give this a try, as I remember playing the PnP version back in the day, and I am curious about the changes.

vikfield

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2021, 02:28:52 pm »
  Does this include new (random) Matrix maps?  For a long time, I've wanted to have new Matrix runs like I can have new DooM levels.

Regardless, I will give this a try, as I remember playing the PnP version back in the day, and I am curious about the changes.

I have never play the PnP game before, I'm just a big fan from this video game; for that reason, your opinion would be very interesting for me. If you want it, send me a PM in my forum account so we can share opinions. hope you like the hack!

PD: sorry, but no new random matrix maps in this version  :(
Rock & Roll, chummers!!

Gideon Zhi

• Discord Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2021, 05:34:47 pm »
Wow I didn't know it! to be honest, besides Seattle, I allways thought that all the locations was fictional  :P; but know that you told me, I  think I need do something about it. just tell me how it suppose to be named every location and perhaps I can do something on respect.

This map isn't *quite* to scale, but it's pretty close. Rotate 90 degrees to the left for the current taxi map perspective ("up" on that screen is east IRL.) The geography is more or less correct though IRL there's another bridge across the lake; see the road marked 405 on the map. That map also doesn't include Mercer Island - the council island in-game. Again though it is geographically in the right spot. The Salish lands are also in roughly the right spot, just... not to scale (east past Mercer you get Bellevue and its environs, then for the most part a whooole lotta nothing until you hit Spokane 400 miles further down the road, so placing Salish east of the lake is correct.)

vikfield

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2021, 08:43:28 pm »
This map isn't *quite* to scale, but it's pretty close. Rotate 90 degrees to the left for the current taxi map perspective ("up" on that screen is east IRL.) The geography is more or less correct though IRL there's another bridge across the lake; see the road marked 405 on the map. That map also doesn't include Mercer Island - the council island in-game. Again though it is geographically in the right spot. The Salish lands are also in roughly the right spot, just... not to scale (east past Mercer you get Bellevue and its environs, then for the most part a whooole lotta nothing until you hit Spokane 400 miles further down the road, so placing Salish east of the lake is correct.)

thanks a lot! I was totally unaware of this fact; But now that I know, I will see what I can do to represent the localities more faithfully.
Rock & Roll, chummers!!

Fox Cunning

• Barrel-roller
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2021, 04:14:04 pm »
Love this hack, I wasn't expecting a new update. Thanks man!

-pepodmc

• Subiendo videos supercampeones Nes 28/5/2020
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2021, 05:02:00 pm »

i didnt played the original, what are the best improvements of this hack compared to the original?
Nuevos videos de mis traducc. desde el 28/5/2020 porque hay usuarios que se hacen pasar por mi con respecto a las traducciones.
https://www.youtube.com/user/pepomega/videos?view_as=subscriber

vikfield

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2021, 05:26:25 pm »

Thanks to YOU!!! :thumbsup:

PD: expect more updates in the future
Rock & Roll, chummers!!

ShinQuickMan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2021, 06:18:43 pm »
LTL FTP. Here's my 2 piece:

Favorite features:
  • New guns add diversity
  • Many types of equipment and upgrades are more affordable (but see below)
  • Payouts and karma (roughly EXP) payouts  have been upped substantially; generally less grinding to get to higher levels (but see below)
  • Many spells are more accessible; allows for more interesting things than just blasting all day.
  • Shamans no longer have useless totem item slots
  • Gunderson (the early game quest giver) has more diverse and somewhat more lucrative assignments available.
  • New icons for many types of equipment.
Not So Enjoyable Features
  • The (optional) increased random encounters isn't very well balanced for the early game. Also, it bugs out in bars, which requires tedious fiddling to get around.
  • Cyberdecks (though, mercifully, not upgrades) and magical talismans are much more expensive. You need to grind more than even the base game to access the top of the line stuff.

Concern
  • Corporate runs and especially enforcer runs could use better cash payouts, particularly when compared to Decking runs.

neonlightning

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2021, 01:33:16 pm »
noticed that the ammo number in the shop is blank. otherwise seems like a good hack sofar. nice to have the decker more functional from the start.
not sure i would have included the debug menu without using the code though.

SleepyFist

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2021, 05:25:00 pm »
Heck yeah, thanks chummer.

maringouin11

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2021, 08:50:22 am »
This is one of my best game of my childhood, so glad someone is willing to invest time updating/adjusting it!
Keep it up  ;D

retromodel

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2021, 11:24:47 am »
The shadowrunners are too overpowered. Are there addresses for all attributes and cyberware? I would like to greatly lower attributes from the game start and remove some cyberware. If necessary, there is always a menu with cheats for powergaming party.
Is it possible to change the attack type of spells from mass attack to single target? Sleep, Confusion, and Stink will be of much use if they were single target spells.

vikfield

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2021, 03:18:12 am »
The shadowrunners are too overpowered. Are there addresses for all attributes and cyberware? I would like to greatly lower attributes from the game start and remove some cyberware. If necessary, there is always a menu with cheats for powergaming party.
Is it possible to change the attack type of spells from mass attack to single target? Sleep, Confusion, and Stink will be of much use if they were single target spells.

Sorry, pal, but as I said before one of the main purpose of this protect is to get closer to the shadowrun rules; for that reason I remodel all playable characters according to the "priority system" mentioned in the Shadowrun 2nd edition soursbook.

An advantages of the new character's profiles, are that you can star better runs whit better shadowruner in an early gameplay before you spend a lot of time with Mr. Johnsons like Gunterson to rise karma; also I feel this new change give you better opportunity to use all characters and give you better partners per hiring price.

About the spell changes... that's a really good idea, but I'm very ashamed to tell you that I haven't be able to change the spell dynamic yet; maybe in further actualization.
Rock & Roll, chummers!!

nl255

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2021, 06:21:11 pm »
It appears that you also fixed the cyberware stat bug, is that correct?  Because supposedly in the vanilla game if you have a stat that cyberware boosts already maxed before it is installed then the cyberware does nothing.  For example, if your body is already at 6 and you install dermal plating then you don't get any benefit but if body is at 5 when it is installed then it goes to "5 c6" and when you increase it to 6 it becomes "6 c7".

MethidMan

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2021, 09:17:09 pm »
Speaking of bugs, have you already applied a fix to the one-hit-KO bug?

There's a bug where if you have a certain amount of cyberware on a character (any level of Wired Reflexes, Muscle Replacement level 4, and Dermal Plating level 2-3) and that character is using their fists for hand-to-hand combat, any punch from an enemy will instantly kill them no matter how much defense that character has.

Now, I've already looked around for a fix for this and consulted the help from an expert codemaker (Tony Hedstrom) to come up with a Game Genie code that fixes this which is AVRT-LA26. This can be hard-coded with a program called Game Genie Guy, but I do hope this could listed as a patch on this site sometime.

I'm just wondering if you're already aware of this and already applied your own fix to this bug or applied the existing GG code as a patch.

There's also another bug where where magic users, when controlled by the AI, automatically switch to something else as soon as they engage in combat, usually switching to their weakest spells. This was another bug I tried getting help from Tony Hedstrom in fixing, but whatever GG code we came up with still had problems, but I managed to find a way to modify the code so that it actually fixes the problem without any issues. That code is GA7T-CA58, which again, can be applied as a patch with Game Genie Guy.

Was this also addressed by you or were you even aware of it to begin with? I'll happily provide any help if needed.

While I'm at it, there's one more thing I'd like to address, and this is just a suggestion: there's a certain cyberware stat called "Evasion" that's sort of a misnomer considering it does more than just control how well you evade attacks from ICE. It also controls how well your chances of hitting ICE are. It would be nice if that stat could be renamed to something else to give the player an idea of what stat to increase if they want to actually raise the accuracy of their shots when attacking ICE. Maybe "Combat" or "Accuracy"?

You're doing god's work with this hack, keep it up~

vikfield

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2021, 11:15:25 pm »
Speaking of bugs, have you already applied a fix to the one-hit-KO bug?

There's a bug where if you have a certain amount of cyberware on a character (any level of Wired Reflexes, Muscle Replacement level 4, and Dermal Plating level 2-3) and that character is using their fists for hand-to-hand combat, any punch from an enemy will instantly kill them no matter how much defense that character has.

Now, I've already looked around for a fix for this and consulted the help from an expert codemaker (Tony Hedstrom) to come up with a Game Genie code that fixes this which is AVRT-LA26. This can be hard-coded with a program called Game Genie Guy, but I do hope this could listed as a patch on this site sometime.

I'm just wondering if you're already aware of this and already applied your own fix to this bug or applied the existing GG code as a patch.

There's also another bug where where magic users, when controlled by the AI, automatically switch to something else as soon as they engage in combat, usually switching to their weakest spells. This was another bug I tried getting help from Tony Hedstrom in fixing, but whatever GG code we came up with still had problems, but I managed to find a way to modify the code so that it actually fixes the problem without any issues. That code is GA7T-CA58, which again, can be applied as a patch with Game Genie Guy.

Was this also addressed by you or were you even aware of it to begin with? I'll happily provide any help if needed.

While I'm at it, there's one more thing I'd like to address, and this is just a suggestion: there's a certain cyberware stat called "Evasion" that's sort of a misnomer considering it does more than just control how well you evade attacks from ICE. It also controls how well your chances of hitting ICE are. It would be nice if that stat could be renamed to something else to give the player an idea of what stat to increase if they want to actually raise the accuracy of their shots when attacking ICE. Maybe "Combat" or "Accuracy"?

You're doing god's work with this hack, keep it up~

Hello friends!

I'm gonna star thanking you for all your questions an interest, this kind of thing motivating to do a better job  :thumbsup:

let's starer then:

1. the cyberwear bug: I have been reading a lot about this bug since the firs time I played this game (maybe in 2005?); but i have never have this bug in non of my game plays, and I'm talking that i have played an unmodified ROM. I guess i just heaved a bug free version and I made my hack based on that ROM  XD

2. One-hit-KO bug: yes, I change this hex code directly in the ROM via Hex editor since the first version aka vikfield's mod. I don't use game genie guy, I always prefer use and hex editor because with this method i can learned and modify different thing around a same code.

3. Magic users spell: I  heaved notice what you mentioned but I heaved considering it a bug before; and to be honest, I'm not a magic user, so I don't know exactly how it work now whit the new spellbook I made for each mage & shaman; the only derk I use in my party is Ricky for a short period and sometimes Trent, but i feel it fine whit their fire magic offensive. anyway I would try your new code.

4. Cyberdeck evasion stat: sorry friend, but a prefer to leave it in that way; your suggestion is good and explain more its function, but as I said before, I'm trying to get closer to the original game concept; obviously I can not afford to make it 100% identical even 80%, but I would try my best.

let's keep in touch, you can find me too via personal mesage.  :beer:

PD: only God can do God's work, I only try my best  :thumbsup:
Rock & Roll, chummers!!

retromodel

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2021, 09:34:37 am »
Sorry, pal, but as I said before one of the main purpose of this protect is to get closer to the shadowrun rules

Your mod, your decision. Do you have a list of what and where did you change? Maybe a gist on GitHub? The list is long, I myself will tire of changing all the shadowrunners in the initial state.

About the spell changes... that's a really good idea, but I'm very ashamed to tell you that I haven't be able to change the spell dynamic yet; maybe in further actualization.

Too bad. After that, the mod would be perfect  ;D.

It appears that you also fixed the cyberware stat bug, is that correct?

Has anyone ever found a ROM file with this bug at all?!? It seems to me that someone just made a horrible dumb mistake, and now we are tilting at windmills.

PD: only God can do God's work, I only try my best  :thumbsup:

Can I help in the affairs of God? At a minimum, organize the documentation, changelog of what has changed and where, help with grammar, etc.