News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: DQ Translations' SNES Dragon Quest III Translation Errors  (Read 1728 times)

Zetawilk

• View Profile
DQ Translations' SNES Dragon Quest III Translation Errors
« on: January 18, 2021, 11:26:58 pm »
I wanted to confirm if other people are experiencing some errors in DQ Translations' translation patch for Dragon Quest III on the SNES. Although I've just double-checked with NSRT that I'm using an unheadered backup with the specified CRC32 hex value, I'm getting the following issues:

Status ailments appear to be nonsensical characters.
When obtaining an item at the end of battles, the text for getting the item appears broken.
The town of "Soo" is a blank entry in the Return list of locations.

I just wanted to be sure these were consistent issues others were having, and that I didn't just make some mistake applying the patch.

zarkon

• View Profile
Re: DQ Translations' SNES Dragon Quest III Translation Errors
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2021, 02:15:16 pm »
I haven't played this in many years, all I remember is a nasty save bug if you save with anyone other than the hero, and a questionable translation choice.  However, looking at the world of longplay video on youtube I see the following:

Chicken Knife

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2021, 08:44:18 pm »
I haven't taken any kind of inventory recently, but the issues with this translation patch were very diverse from my recollection. It amazes me how many fans can look past them and favor this version of the game in English.

zarkon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2021, 08:49:48 pm »
I haven't taken any kind of inventory recently, but the issues with this translation patch were very diverse from my recollection. It amazes me how many fans can look past them and favor this version of the game in English.

I think it just speaks to the strength of this version of the game.  The cool intro, the extra content, the beautiful graphics...and the fact that the more recent versions leave a lot to be desired.

I do recommend either this version or the GBC one (which content wise is the best but doesn't look as nice), but the SFC version I give caveats over the issues I recall having with the translation patch.  Though it's been so long since I played it that I apparently forgot about the issues the OP encountered.

Would sure be nice if there was another patch to use instead... :angel:

Chicken Knife

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2021, 10:16:41 pm »
I think it just speaks to the strength of this version of the game.  The cool intro, the extra content, the beautiful graphics...and the fact that the more recent versions leave a lot to be desired.

I do recommend either this version or the GBC one (which content wise is the best but doesn't look as nice), but the SFC version I give caveats over the issues I recall having with the translation patch.  Though it's been so long since I played it that I apparently forgot about the issues the OP encountered.

Would sure be nice if there was another patch to use instead... :angel:
I hear all of this, and I truly would love to see a respectable version of this great game in English--along with an improvement to Ramia's god-awfully slow flying speed.

Why again did I go after an intense new job that saps most of my mental energy?

Ah... that's right. It pays. :P

Gideon Zhi

• Discord Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2021, 11:58:33 pm »

Welcome to the club, mate!

zarkon

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2021, 07:42:33 pm »
I hear all of this, and I truly would love to see a respectable version of this great game in English--along with an improvement to Ramia's god-awfully slow flying speed.

:laugh:

Vector 67

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2021, 10:44:05 pm »
I wanted to confirm if other people are experiencing some errors in DQ Translations' translation patch for Dragon Quest III on the SNES. Although I've just double-checked with NSRT that I'm using an unheadered backup with the specified CRC32 hex value, I'm getting the following issues:

Status ailments appear to be nonsensical characters.
When obtaining an item at the end of battles, the text for getting the item appears broken.
The town of "Soo" is a blank entry in the Return list of locations.

I just wanted to be sure these were consistent issues others were having, and that I didn't just make some mistake applying the patch.
Same thing for me. Biggest glitch of them all, is "appraise" option for female merchant. She just tells you complete nonsense (like club weapon is cursed or something like that). Male merchant works fine, i think. I can't believe developers of this hack just completely abandoned it and never fixed these horrible, horrible, horrible issues. What a rip off.

aqualung

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2021, 02:50:31 pm »
Same thing for me. Biggest glitch of them all, is "appraise" option for female merchant. She just tells you complete nonsense (like club weapon is cursed or something like that). Male merchant works fine, i think. I can't believe developers of this hack just completely abandoned it and never fixed these horrible, horrible, horrible issues. What a rip off.

It's true, I want my money back!  ;D ;D ;D

Dzumeister

• Zaubermancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2021, 05:47:20 pm »

are u serious
free sluffy

zarkon

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2021, 07:42:12 pm »
are u serious

They have 4 posts and all of them are complaining about peoples work in a non-constructive way.  So sadly the answer is probably yes, they are serious. :/

aqualung

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2021, 12:22:52 pm »
They have 4 posts and all of them are complaining about peoples work in a non-constructive way.  So sadly the answer is probably yes, they are serious. :/

In my case, I was only being ironic, just wanted to clarify  ;)

zarkon

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2021, 08:06:35 am »
In my case, I was only being ironic, just wanted to clarify  ;)

Yup, I realised. :)