News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Better PSX emulators?  (Read 4113 times)

McKnight

• View Profile
    • Livejournal
Re: Better PSX emulators?
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2021, 02:26:01 pm »
Okay, just figured it out.  Just a matter of clicking each box and pressing each respective button.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2021, 03:11:19 pm »
It's good to know the solution is so straightforward now if the day ever comes that I finally need a PSX emulator. Or should I still consider using my PS2 phat instead?

Seems to me someone will inevitably fork the project as Rabbitstation.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2021, 04:28:16 pm »
It's good to know the solution is so straightforward now if the day ever comes that I finally need a PSX emulator. Or should I still consider using my PS2 phat instead?
PS2 is still nice, but there are actually a couple of games that can't run on it.  Most PS1 emus can read directly from your CD ray either way so you can also view it as a "why not both" situation.  Some games look better with that PS2 smoothing, some you'll never want to play without PGXP again.

Seems to me someone will inevitably fork the project as Rabbitstation.
Or Fuddstation. :laugh:

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2021, 06:20:50 am »
Ain'tIAStinkerStation

But seriously, Duckstation is very low-impact on my rather old computer. Whatever any other emulation solution there is, I enjoy not worrying that I'm gonna melt my CPU.
Yamero~~!

GreenTea

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2021, 05:06:39 pm »
Ain'tIAStinkerStation

But seriously, Duckstation is very low-impact on my rather old computer. Whatever any other emulation solution there is, I enjoy not worrying that I'm gonna melt my CPU.
I've noticed this as well. Internal upscaling also seems less demanding compared with Beetle PSX HW.

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2021, 08:34:45 pm »
PSX games on a Ryzen 7. This will be interesting. :)

ponlork

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2021, 02:13:51 am »
i mainly use epsxe 1.7.1 for rom hacking, i've just grown accustomed to it that i always use it. When i'm showcasing gameplay or playing on Parsec i've been using Duckstation.

One thing that ePSXe has tha duckstation doesn't is 4 player support. I also find that epsxe looks better than Retroarch Beetlepsx so if i want to play NBA Jam TE on Parsec with 4 players then I'll choose ePSXe.

For some reason Beetle PSX has errors with NBA Jam, like it doesn't display the "loading" or "reading cards" text. ePSXe can enhance the graphics too

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2021, 11:43:29 am »
i mainly use epsxe 1.7.1 for rom hacking, i've just grown accustomed to it that i always use it. When i'm showcasing gameplay or playing on Parsec i've been using Duckstation.
Even FFHacktics concedes that you must be using 2.0.  Are you sure that you should be using that for hacking of all things?  For hacking you probably should be as accurate as possible if not just running it straight on the console, because we have too many patches that are only working in certain ways already. The FFVII retranslation is the latest of the bunch, though it has improved as of late.

Still, I mean if it actually works who am I to say no?

One thing that ePSXe has tha duckstation doesn't is 4 player support.
I remember reading that Duckstation has Multitap support, but I don't really do multiplayer. If it isn't there I would expect it sooner rather than later, seeing as how it gets commits at lightspeed. :P
« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 12:11:39 pm by Chronosplit »

ponlork

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2021, 08:46:28 pm »
Even FFHacktics concedes that you must be using 2.0.  Are you sure that you should be using that for hacking of all things?  For hacking you probably should be as accurate as possible if not just running it straight on the console, because we have too many patches that are only working in certain ways already. The FFVII retranslation is the latest of the bunch, though it has improved as of late.

Still, I mean if it actually works who am I to say no?
I remember reading that Duckstation has Multitap support, but I don't really do multiplayer. If it isn't there I would expect it sooner rather than later, seeing as how it gets commits at lightspeed. :P

who's FFHacktics? my mistake, 1.7.0 is the version i use primarily

i remember trying to switch to the newer versions but i had issues with it not loading or not working how i want it to or something to that effect and i always find myself going back to 1.7.0. most likely to get some plugins working or i'm just a man of habit who's not in the mood to change i dont know. whenever there's a new operating system or new layout or new anything i usually am not eager to switch. i know many people love to experiment, to devote a weekend learning new shortcuts, new software and new phone features etc but that's not me. if it aint broke dont fix it that's my motto lol

the main issue i have with epsxe is that it doesn't play CD-DA audio tracks. usually when im working on my hacks with epsxe i would test it on other emulators too either it's no$psx, psxfin, pcsxrearmed, beetle psx, pcsxtrace, a Real Playstation, PS2, psp, the whole gamut

i typically dont do multiplayer either but on some rare occasions, 4 player NBA Jam is pretty fun if i can find players willing to join in. I would like to get some tournaments going too someday. And yeah some modifications work perfectly in epsxe but when i switch to beetle psx it crashes at a certain point, so it's good to test it on a wide array of emulators because ppl will be playing it on various platforms too

MysticLord

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2021, 04:12:41 pm »
Ask the duckstation author about it in his discord, he'll probably fix it for you in a week.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2021, 04:55:08 pm »
who's FFHacktics?
Sorry, I was a bit confusing there.

They're probably the biggest group around hacking a PS1 game around (Final Fantasy Tactics) that I know of.  I only bring them up because they're a somewhat reliable group when talking about what should be able to play your hack, as some projects are decades old over there.  That said, this is talkng about before Duckstation as it's just that new.