News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: I can create a pointer to repoint a specific text string? (GBA)  (Read 617 times)

MegaParadise

• View Profile
I can create a pointer to repoint a specific text string? (GBA)
« on: November 21, 2020, 09:14:38 pm »
Hi! Im currently translating "Yugioh GX - Duel Academy (GBA)", but im having LOTS of troubles trying to translate some key words and phrases. The texts in this game dont have pointers, just the whole block of text-data. Its impossible to repoint the whole segment because i dont have any place with so many free space  :banghead:
Is there any way to make "custom" pointers for certain text strings?

Anime_World

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
Re: I can create a pointer to repoint a specific text string? (GBA)
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2020, 05:53:33 am »
Yes, just modify the dialogue routine using ARM assembly.  ;)

MegaParadise

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2020, 09:23:58 am »
Yes, just modify the dialogue routine using ARM assembly.  ;)
Oh cool! Where i can learn how to do it? Most of the things that i have to "custom repoint" are stuff like days, months, titles, etc. Most of this things are read through commands (especially names and titles, for instance: command $101 displays the message "King of Games"). Now, i need to use lots of more letters to properly translate "King of Games", but the section in wich the command reads it its an entiee block, with lots of other words that are read by the game through commands and other means. Al this info is sepparated with "00" wich are simple ".", but they indicate where one thing start and when it ends, so its impossible trying to translate most of this things since you cant go beyond the default end of the title, name, day, etc. Having that in table, how can i do it (with ARM Assembly)?

Anime_World

• View Profile

MegaParadise

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2020, 07:24:27 am »
00=ENDSTRING

ARM Assembly lessons:

https://www.chibialiens.com/arm/
https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=233645
I really appreciate it! But, unfortunely, i dont have a strong programming base, and read the whole thing seems like hell to me, hahaha. Is there any specific tutorial for the kind of thing that i want to do? Thanks a lot m8.

Anime_World

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2020, 01:40:52 am »
I really appreciate it! But, unfortunely, i dont have a strong programming base, and read the whole thing seems like hell to me, hahaha. Is there any specific tutorial for the kind of thing that i want to do? Thanks a lot m8.

Unfortunately not!  :-[

phonymike

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2020, 08:56:12 pm »
Hi. I posted the location of the pointer table in another thread. It's better to make only one topic per project.

I was able to use cartographer and dump what seems to be most of the script. And then I used atlas to insert the script. Atlas will adjust the pointers as needed to give you freedom while editing the script.

Download this file (version 2), it is part of the extracted script, and can be inserted into the rom. You need to put atlas.exe and "Yu-Gi-Oh! - GX Duel Academy (U).gba" into the same folder as these files, and run "insert.bat". The script will be inserted and you'll have "modified.gba".

Let me know how it works for ya.

EDIT: I went through and cleaned up the script. It has 4,521 strings, and it inserts into the rom with no problems. You need atlas for it to work. There is still the tutorial text, and some other texts like "Blue-Eyes White Dragon..Mystical Elf..Baby Dragon.Ryu-Kishin..Feral Imp"
« Last Edit: November 28, 2020, 02:43:19 pm by phonymike »