News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Help with missing Windows XP file needed for a translation tool  (Read 1611 times)

Vag

• View Profile
    • GreekRoms
Help with missing Windows XP file needed for a translation tool
« on: November 17, 2020, 04:07:44 am »
Hello everyone,
Many years ago, I started translating Flight of the Amazon Queen (FOTAQ for short) for ScummVM in Greek. I had written four programs/tools and I had finished the translation of "FOTAQ Interview" (which is like a demo of the game); the full game needed only some corrections, it was almost finished. Unfortunately the hard drive stopped working and a backup zip file on a server was corrupted! For 13 years everything was lost, but two days ago, my son found a CD with the game somewhere between some books! The three of the four programs were released, so they are preserved. One is lost forever, together with the source code for all four of them. They were written in VB6 on Windows XP and unfortunately one of them doesn't run on newer Windows, as it needs an ocx file. As I don't have the source code anymore, I really need that file, but I can't find it anywhere. I downloaded some Visual Studio 6 service packs, fixes, addons, but they didn't include it.
You can also see this discussion from 2006 here: https://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1896&start=15
The program that won't run is Sparky, the download link is http://www.greekroms.net/files/programs/Sparky.zip. On Windows Vista, the error message is "Unexpected error". On Windows 10, the error message is more detailed and is "Error: Component 'comdlg32.ocx' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid" on one machine and a little different on another, as the filename is mscomdlg32.ocx (probably it needs both). comdlg32.ocx I can find easily, but I can't find mscomdlg32.ocx. Does anyone have Windows XP? Can you please send me the file mscomdlg32.ocx if you have it? It should be in C:\Windows\System32. It's not certain it will be in your system, as it's probably a Visual Studio 6 file.
Thank you!

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: Help with missing Windows XP file needed for a translation tool
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2020, 11:19:04 am »
Thank you for your efforts.

The program that won't run is Sparky, the download link is http://www.greekroms.net/files/programs/Sparky.zip. On Windows Vista, the error message is "Unexpected error". On Windows 10, the error message is more detailed and is "Error: Component 'comdlg32.ocx' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid" on one machine and a little different on another, as the filename is mscomdlg32.ocx (probably it needs both). comdlg32.ocx I can find easily, but I can't find mscomdlg32.ocx. Does anyone have Windows XP? Can you please send me the file mscomdlg32.ocx if you have it? It should be in C:\Windows\System32. It's not certain it will be in your system, as it's probably a Visual Studio 6 file.

I'm not sure why Windows is giving that error, but considering that "mscomdlg32" is ten characters (highly unusual for a Windows system file) and that the Internet doesn't seem to be familiar with it, the program will probably be fine with comdlg32.ocx.

A missing comdlg32.ocx is a common problem these days.  Note that you need to register it in Windows before it will work properly, and/or run the program as an Administrator.  See for instance https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=30591.0 .
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Vag

• View Profile
    • GreekRoms
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2020, 12:34:59 pm »
Hi Jorpho, thanks your your reply!
comdlg32.ocx already exists on my PC and is registered. I know I have to register these files and I tried with different versions of comdlg32.ocx. Also, if you google "mscomdlg32.ocx vs comdlg32.ocx" there are some pages mentioning mscomdlg32.ocx, but even if there are download links, they point to comdlg32.ocx.

Anyway, what you said about the 10 characters made me try it again on another PC (at work). Probably I was absent-minded, the needed files were comdlg32.ocx and mscomctl.ocx, which I could find of course. The program run on Windows 10 ;-)
Again, thanks!

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2020, 07:03:13 pm »
Sounds like you are getting the vb runtimes issue sorted slowly. I have seen it done (it troubles a lot of older pokemon stuff, and any number of cheat and save editors) but have not paid attention to what is done for modern windows (I usually have a XP machine around to do what needs doing).

What I am more here to say is on the subject of source code then old visual basic has a few decompilers (old school visual basic is the definition of scripting language after all) that do quite useful things. I have not kept up here either and you might have trouble distinguishing it from vb.net stuff (more C# based than visual basic) but if nothing else it might jog a memory or two. Even if you protected it for some reason then a lot of the protections did get bypassed but that is even further outside my comfort zone.

kuja killer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2020, 02:22:23 am »
i looked at this thread randomly and decided to try out your program cause i was curious. Cause i use windows XP then, now, and forever. and it loaded up just fine. no errors or anything.

https://i.imgur.com/l7ZcnXz.png

i heavily depend on Visual Basic 6 myself, for the MegaFLE level editor - NES megaman 3-6 level editor.

Vag

• View Profile
    • GreekRoms
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2020, 05:15:28 pm »
Thank you all for your replies!

I now know it can run without any problems on Windows XP and luckily on Windows 10, if you copy and register one or two ocx files. It seems it won't run on Vista and probably on Windows 7. The error message in Vista is "Unexpected error", so you can't tell which file is missing. I tried a nice Microsoft program called Dependency Walker, that shows you any warning and errors. It shows a warning about an Internet Explorer file. After I updated that file (which was very difficult, as it's a system file that you can't change even on safe mode), I managed to break things in Windows like Control Panel, so I just undid the changes.

Never mind, as the program can run on Windows 10. In fact, if you want to translate FOTAQ, you have to run Sparky one time to extract the files and then whenever you want to insert them back. As the game is already translated and just needs some corrections, I don't need to use it often. My PC has Vista, my kids' PC has Windows 10, so I just use it only for extraction/insertion of files.

At some point I will just upload installation instructions for it :-)

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2020, 08:19:01 pm »
I now know it can run without any problems on Windows XP and luckily on Windows 10, if you copy and register one or two ocx files. It seems it won't run on Vista and probably on Windows 7. The error message in Vista is "Unexpected error", so you can't tell which file is missing. I tried a nice Microsoft program called Dependency Walker, that shows you any warning and errors. It shows a warning about an Internet Explorer file. After I updated that file (which was very difficult, as it's a system file that you can't change even on safe mode), I managed to break things in Windows like Control Panel, so I just undid the changes.
"Unexpected error" doesn't sound like something you would get for a missing file.  As discussed in the above link, the problem might be that the wrong .ocx in the wrong place has been registered incorrectly.

Using Compatibility Mode (Right-click the .exe, select Properties, and then select the Compatibility tab) is often a useful first step.  And as I said before, it might be necessary to run the program as a user with Administrator privileges, especially if it is trying to write to a folder it does not actually have access to.

I find Process Monitor to be pretty useful for this sort of debugging, but it can be a little tricky to use – it shows you everything that is happening on a system and even once you filter out everything but the program of interest, there can still be a lot going on.

If all else fails, you can try a virtual machine or even BoxedWine, but it shouldn't be necessary to go that far.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!