News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Replacing Music in a PS1 game (as a hack)?  (Read 845 times)

Supergamerguy

• Retro game fanatic; loves platformers, hates jrpgs
    • View Profile
Replacing Music in a PS1 game (as a hack)?
« on: October 28, 2020, 08:06:23 pm »
I just got into playing Initial D for the PS1, but was disappointed to learn that the game has no eurobeat tracks, which the anime it's based on is chock full of. I would love to insert some of my favorite Eurobeat songs into the game, but have no idea how. Can anybody steer me in the right direction or let me know how much of a pipe dream this is?  :D

Also it would be great if someone made a translation for this, an area in which I am very poor at as I know absolutely NO Japanese.
Dah-nuh-nuh-nah! Super fighting robot! Dah-nuh-nah-nah! MEGA MAN! Fighting.......to save.......the world!!!!!

FAST6191

• View Profile
Re: Replacing Music in a PS1 game (as a hack)?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2020, 10:18:51 pm »
This game might be something else but being CD based a lot of games actually used CD audio (as in pop it into the CD player, skip the first track unless modem sounds and then some were your jam, which if Eurobeat is your thing might be a possibility, and listen on from there).
In that case you get to edit an audio CD which is easy enough.
You can also eject the game and see if it continues to play (presumably sans sound).

If it is something more in the actual audio format as we normally see it in games I am a bit behind on what was available for the PS1. Don't know if we had seen the rise of ADX/ADH by this point (think that might have been Dreamcast/PS2). Do check to make sure it was not something common like a tracker format (MOD, x3m and what have you), though that will make injecting straight wave type music harder.

Supergamerguy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2020, 10:21:56 pm »
This game might be something else but being CD based a lot of games actually used CD audio (as in pop it into the CD player, skip the first track unless modem sounds and then some were your jam, which if Eurobeat is your thing might be a possibility, and listen on from there).
In that case you get to edit an audio CD which is easy enough.
You can also eject the game and see if it continues to play (presumably sans sound).

If it is something more in the actual audio format as we normally see it in games I am a bit behind on what was available for the PS1. Don't know if we had seen the rise of ADX/ADH by this point (think that might have been Dreamcast/PS2). Do check to make sure it was not something common like a tracker format (MOD, x3m and what have you), though that will make injecting straight wave type music harder.

I'll try to do some more research on the topic, but you also have to keep in mind that this idea is purely theoretical at this point as I have no idea what to do regarding injecting new music into my bin/cue file that I finally found after a long period of searching for.
Dah-nuh-nuh-nah! Super fighting robot! Dah-nuh-nah-nah! MEGA MAN! Fighting.......to save.......the world!!!!!

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2020, 10:30:27 pm »
Afraid it has been some years since I burned an audio CD (and that was a friend had a car without aux/bluetooth and a completely custom radio so needed something, or possibly something for a pub quiz), never mind edited one (easier to junk it and feed it another however many tracks). However I can't imagine you will have too hard a time finding something. Worst part will be vs a simple go with something like imgburn (which might be persuaded to do something) will be you might have to provide the audio as a wave file rather than leave it as a MP3* or something.

Just to state the obvious as well. Edit a copy of the thing when you do it and keep the original.

*there are actually some PS1 emulators that take CD tracks, convert them to MP3 and will instead allow the user to have that rather than a few hundred megs of game and the rest of the disc (possibly twice that space) being just audio.

Supergamerguy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2020, 10:33:39 pm »
Afraid it has been some years since I burned an audio CD (and that was a friend had a car without aux/bluetooth and a completely custom radio so needed something, or possibly something for a pub quiz), never mind edited one (easier to junk it and feed it another however many tracks). However I can't imagine you will have too hard a time finding something. Worst part will be vs a simple go with something like imgburn (which might be persuaded to do something) will be you might have to provide the audio as a wave file rather than leave it as a MP3* or something.

Just to state the obvious as well. Edit a copy of the thing when you do it and keep the original.

*there are actually some PS1 emulators that take CD tracks, convert them to MP3 and will instead allow the user to have that rather than a few hundred megs of game and the rest of the disc (possibly twice that space) being just audio.

I did read something about an emulator somewhere that allows you to play custom MP3s instead of the game's default audio, but my goal is to make a hack that I can actually submit to RHDN that replaces the game's current music with my favorite, handpicked, Eurobeat songs. However I can do it would be great, but I would also need additional information on how to make a patch for a PS1 game, if making said hack with Eurobeat would be skirting any legal issues, and how big would said hack be considering it would replace most of the game's music (and as such may be too large for RHDN's servers).....

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2020, 11:34:26 pm »
as I have no idea what to do regarding injecting new music into my bin/cue file that I finally found after a long period of searching for.
Considering the game is not found in this list or this other list or this list over here, it seems very unlikely that it uses redbook CD audio.  (The way to check for this is to mount the bin/cue file in Windows with Virtual CloneDrive or Daemon Tools or a similar program, and then attempt to play the CD with any handy media player you have installed on your PC.)

So there's probably no easy way to do this.  You would have to figure out whatever method the game uses to store its music, and then find a way to get your music into that format.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!