News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Super Mario Bros Bowser's Spooky Attack (Halloween themed RomHack)  (Read 974 times)

Lusbhax

• View Profile
I'm working on this Halloween Romhack, but I don't think I'll finish it for Halloween, all the graphic changes are done, I've changed the title screen, also modified some levels but there's a lot more waiting to be done, I'm also making an instruction booklet for the Romhack
I would like to get some opinions, feedback and maybe even some ideas for levels, so here is what I have done, if you try it please tell me what you think:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1LGEE_Qe-fIRtMJ5snizlf79V6sjcXWaX?usp=sharing
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 02:55:19 am by Lusbhax »

Googie

• I'd like to solve the puzzle... Jiggers!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
Re: Super Mario Bros Bowser's Spooky Attack (Halloween themed RomHack)
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2020, 05:38:11 pm »
I hadda fix some things in World 1 to get to World 2, I stopped when I got stuck in the pyramid level when I got the Hammer Bros. suit with no way out, with that said there should be no dead ends where you get stuck, you have potential in the level design department, I kept on playing. :D

I can mentor you in designing levels and map designs if you want, I also have an IPS patch that gives the soundtrack a darker tone thanks to Nicole from the Kafuka Boards. I do like your graphic changes, one suggestion on the dungeon level in world 1, change the palette it hurt my eyes a bit and change the lava palette back to it's original palette.

Which SMB3 editor are you using, SMB3 Workshop or SMB3 Foundry?

I also have a few dead SMB3 hacks from the early 2000's, if you wanna use those levels in your hack. Gimme a holler, I'm poking at various projects behind the scenes so a project like this will motivate me to hack full steam again. Take care, bro. ;)

Lusbhax

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2020, 11:25:16 pm »
I hadda fix some things in World 1 to get to World 2, I stopped when I got stuck in the pyramid level when I got the Hammer Bros. suit with no way out, with that said there should be no dead ends where you get stuck, you have potential in the level design department, I kept on playing. :D

I can mentor you in designing levels and map designs if you want, I also have an IPS patch that gives the soundtrack a darker tone thanks to Nicole from the Kafuka Boards. I do like your graphic changes, one suggestion on the dungeon level in world 1, change the palette it hurt my eyes a bit and change the lava palette back to it's original palette.

Which SMB3 editor are you using, SMB3 Workshop or SMB3 Foundry?

I also have a few dead SMB3 hacks from the early 2000's, if you wanna use those levels in your hack. Gimme a holler, I'm poking at various projects behind the scenes so a project like this will motivate me to hack full steam again. Take care, bro. ;)

Thanks a lot for trying it, That level in particular might seem a little confusing, but is not a dead end, there's a hidden block on the left side of the pipe but maybe it's too hard to find.

This is my first not only-graphical hack, so I think everything I could learn would be helpful, I'd like to try that patch to see if it fits with this.
Thanks for the feedback, I'll change the palettes.

I'm using SMB3 Foundry for the levels, YYCHR for the graphical changes and SMB3TE for the title screen.

Yeah I'd like to see them, I really need some inspiration to make levels, this originally was going to be just a halloween remix, that's why most of the levels have only little changes but then I decided to make something bigger.

Googie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2020, 09:35:38 pm »
I just got back from Coney Island, it's almost 10pm here so I'm going to look through my ROM collection and pass you some dead SMB3 hacks along with that IPS that makes the soundtrack darker. I'll PM you. :) 

Lusbhax

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2020, 03:01:27 am »
First Update:
A new and better Title screen.
(I know it's a little one but it's something)

Before

Now

Googie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2020, 12:25:49 pm »
I love that new title screen, looks really freaking cool.  :beer: