News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: String changes in one area, but not in another  (Read 386 times)

FMecha

• View Profile
String changes in one area, but not in another
« on: October 26, 2020, 02:34:06 pm »
I've trying to make a real name patch for Ferrari Grand Prix Challenge. However, the name changes seems to apply only in the rival select screen, not in team select screen. I've ensured that all instances of fictional team names were changed, but to no avail.

Did I do something wrong?

FAST6191

• View Profile
Re: String changes in one area, but not in another
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2020, 06:53:00 pm »
"I've ensured that all instances of fictional team names were changed"
Clearly not else it would have changed.

If they don't appear via a search (I presume you have what you think is a table) then there is some compression, text done as graphics (should be fairly obvious if this in the tile viewer in the emulator, though if the pictures you provided are anything to go by I would be surprised -- most times graphics will be used to be fancy, not the exact same as the original font used everywhere else), different encoding (games can have multiple tables), piece of formatting preventing your search from working or encryption (unlikely for anything that is not a PC game).

I don't know what we are suggesting for tracing emulators on the megadrive these days but such things would fairly quickly reveal where it is stashed in the ROM, otherwise you get to play elimination, corruption, maybe search for smaller fragment of the name (might appear if compression or some kind of formatting/markup), or hope that a new bout of relative search finds the encoding that the screen in question is using.

FMecha

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2020, 08:08:15 am »
"I've ensured that all instances of fictional team names were changed"
Clearly not else it would have changed.

If they don't appear via a search (I presume you have what you think is a table) then there is some compression, text done as graphics (should be fairly obvious if this in the tile viewer in the emulator, though if the pictures you provided are anything to go by I would be surprised -- most times graphics will be used to be fancy, not the exact same as the original font used everywhere else), different encoding (games can have multiple tables), piece of formatting preventing your search from working or encryption (unlikely for anything that is not a PC game).

I don't know what we are suggesting for tracing emulators on the megadrive these days but such things would fairly quickly reveal where it is stashed in the ROM, otherwise you get to play elimination, corruption, maybe search for smaller fragment of the name (might appear if compression or some kind of formatting/markup), or hope that a new bout of relative search finds the encoding that the screen in question is using.

As far as I remember I only have a hex editor and direct mentions of default names - I can't find to seem to find anything relevant with the smaller fragment method.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2020, 10:53:50 pm »
I've not seen this game before but, there's not a save feature that might be saving the original player names, is there?
(I know I've heard recently of some EA Sports games on the Genesis that were improperly dumped before, by including save data on the original dumped cartridge as part of the ROM.)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

FMecha

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2020, 01:15:34 pm »
I've not seen this game before but, there's not a save feature that might be saving the original player names, is there?
(I know I've heard recently of some EA Sports games on the Genesis that were improperly dumped before, by including save data on the original dumped cartridge as part of the ROM.)
I'm after team names, not driver ones, since that's the only affected part. Also the game only has a password-based save.