News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: Sonic Improvement Vol.2 updated  (Read 2435 times)

RHDNBot

ROM Hacks: Sonic Improvement Vol.2 updated
« on: October 26, 2020, 08:53:12 am »

Update By: sics

The latest update to Sonic Improvement Vol.2 for NES is now ready, and incorporates a stunning new title screen based on the Megadrive version, which takes the console's graphics capabilities to the limit.

In addition, more bugs are fixed and work continues to improve the mechanics of the game, starting with editing some rules in various jump states, which although not yet ideal, let you see the great improvement potential that this game has to offer yet.

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

Griever_GF

• View Profile
Re: ROM Hacks: Sonic Improvement Vol.2 updated
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2020, 05:03:54 pm »
Any plans to improve "Super Sonic 5 (1997) (Unl) [!]"?

I need it improved like this Sonic, but:
1) Because it starts from Spring Yard, then Labyrinth Zone...
Make Spring Yard 1st zone, Labyrinth 2nd, Green Hill 3rd, Marble zone 4th, Startlight 5th, etc.
2) Keep the original Sonic sprites, do not replace it.
3) Keep the original "Super Sonic 5" intro screen too.

I need this hack! It's my childhood game. But it suffers from ugly controls, no extra lives in bonus, etc.

sics

• Contact me!
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart: Terwilf
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2020, 01:20:02 am »
It really is a very far-fetched idea, it would require a great deal of effort and the results would hardly be noticeable, which is why I love it.

I cannot promise anything, but I will do my best to make your request come true :thumbsup:

SuperStarFox

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2020, 02:18:41 am »
Any plans to improve "Super Sonic 5 (1997) (Unl) [!]"?

I need it improved like this Sonic, but:
1) Because it starts from Spring Yard, then Labyrinth Zone...
Make Spring Yard 1st zone, Labyrinth 2nd, Green Hill 3rd, Marble zone 4th, Startlight 5th, etc.
2) Keep the original Sonic sprites, do not replace it.
3) Keep the original "Super Sonic 5" intro screen too.

I need this hack! It's my childhood game. But it suffers from ugly controls, no extra lives in bonus, etc.

(To Griever_GF): Don't forget the "5" on the title screen as well. Trust me, one hack of Sonic The Hedgehog for the nes had a "5" on the title screen, but someone said it's extremely rare and hard to find since it can only be found on an NES Multicart.

Nosuch

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2020, 05:12:45 am »
That title screen is beautiful.

Griever_GF

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2020, 08:02:01 am »
I cannot promise anything, but I will do my best to make your request come true :thumbsup:
It will be great if you'll do it. Best wishes to you.
I dreamed to reach Green Hill in my childhood, but never can pass through Labyrinth... But I saw it in preview, when no buttons pressed. Same for Marble Zone.

(To Griever_GF): Don't forget the "5" on the title screen as well. Trust me, one hack of Sonic The Hedgehog for the nes had a "5" on the title screen, but someone said it's extremely rare and hard to find since it can only be found on an NES Multicart.
In my childhood I had this game on multicart, yes (with TMNT 1 and Race America), but I'm sure it existed on single cart too. Now I have singlecart with this game, it looks simular to this:

But the game itself doesn't contain "Super Sonic 5", its name is "Sonic & Knuckles 5".

I wish to keep this intro screen. Well, maybe a little improvement in terms of colors or animation will be ok.

P.S. I've made a little research and discovered another "Sonic 5" hack, but it's really different.

-pepodmc

• Subiendo videos supercampeones Nes 28/5/2020
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2020, 02:58:45 pm »
Looks really good, sounds really good and it is quite faithful to the original version.

The only thing that this game needs for me is trying to replicate the sonic jumping physics as faithful as possible.

If you can improve that more, it would be perfect.
Nuevos videos de mis traducc. desde el 28/5/2020 porque hay usuarios que se hacen pasar por mi con respecto a las traducciones.
https://www.youtube.com/user/pepomega/videos?view_as=subscriber

sics

• Contact me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2020, 08:29:13 pm »
Griever_GF
Bad news, it seems that at the moment I will not be able to fulfill my objective, since I could not decipher how to establish the changes of graphic banks necessary to be able to correctly display this title screen or, failing that, how to port the changes of my hack to the version requested, although I have not yet exhausted my ideas :thumbsup:

P.S. I've made a little research and discovered another "Sonic 5" hack, but it's really different.
Doing something like that would take months, I don't know if it's a good idea, I have to think about it :thumbsup:

Nosuch
Thank you very much! :beer:

-pepodmc
Currently I would like to look for people interested in participating in the project, since I believe that I am close to reaching the limit of what I can deliver on my own :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 08:37:52 pm by sics »

Griever_GF

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2020, 08:54:42 am »
Griever_GF
Bad news, it seems that at the moment I will not be able to fulfill my objective, since I could not decipher how to establish the changes of graphic banks necessary to be able to correctly display this title screen or, failing that, how to port the changes of my hack to the version requested, although I have not yet exhausted my ideas :thumbsup:
Doing something like that would take months, I don't know if it's a good idea, I have to think about it :thumbsup:
Oh, ok. I still have hope though...
I know that romhacking is a hard job, I worked on PCE Necromancer partial translation a while ago...
But it will be great if you can fix "Sonic & Knuckles 5 (Super Sonic 5 1997)" somehow, because I love this game, this variation of 8-bit Sonic...

Arcade-Elite

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2020, 07:15:55 pm »
Nice update to sonic, onlything missing is Robotnicks chain to the ball in the first boss fight, i read some where you took out content from the rom that was not needed. So is there room for a chain sprite to finish the first boss?

sics

• Contact me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2020, 05:38:06 pm »
The NES can only draw 64 overlapping sprites to the screen, so I don't see a way to add something like that and have it work well without doing extensive reprogramming of the game.

But in theory, if a function was created to deactivate the useless parts of the hud during the battle against the final boss, Eggman's graphics would be handled as a background and not as sprites, and the chain pieces would use the blink effect, there is The possibility, although being realistic, that sounds like a challenge too difficult to face, even for someone experienced :thumbsup:

MadZiontist

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2020, 10:45:18 pm »
Thanks for sharing your work of this amazing mod. I have a request for the "Somari In Sonic The Hedgehog" patch. As it seems that this particular variant is essentially supposed to be a "vanilla hack" (for lack of better terms) of the original Somari The Adventurer, to make the original game more polished, my request is to see a proper title screen featuring the Somari/Mario character (rather than Sonic The Hedgehog). This would give it more of a complete feel to the hack.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 11:33:24 pm by MadZiontist »

sics

• Contact me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2020, 12:33:36 pm »
MadZiontist
First I want to thank you for your review, I am not lying if I tell you that I was very excited when I read it, since since I started I expected someone to really notice all the effort that was behind this work.

About the title screen for Somari, I had planned to incorporate it with the next update, I had even thought to add new additional content, such as a new version with Doraemon, but I was sorry I had not managed to fulfill the request of Griever_GF :-\

So when sebastianangel asked me for help with his Street Fighter hack (Hummer game), I knew it was my chance to decipher the missing piece :thumbsup:

Thanks to this project, my knowledge about SomariEngine increased a lot, but although I already have the tools to achieve my goals, I have committed to helping this hacker and until he does not comply with it, I will not be able to focus on my work.

But the good thing is that if everything goes well it could be the beginning of something bigger :beer:

MadZiontist

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2020, 02:08:10 am »
MadZiontist
First I want to thank you for your review, I am not lying if I tell you that I was very excited when I read it, since since I started I expected someone to really notice all the effort that was behind this work.

About the title screen for Somari, I had planned to incorporate it with the next update, I had even thought to add new additional content, such as a new version with Doraemon, but I was sorry I had not managed to fulfill the request of Griever_GF :-\

So when sebastianangel asked me for help with his Street Fighter hack (Hummer game), I knew it was my chance to decipher the missing piece :thumbsup:

Thanks to this project, my knowledge about SomariEngine increased a lot, but although I already have the tools to achieve my goals, I have committed to helping this hacker and until he does not comply with it, I will not be able to focus on my work.

But the good thing is that if everything goes well it could be the beginning of something bigger :beer:

Gotcha. Well at any rate I look forward to what you have next.  :)

You're welcome about the review. It deserved it. It's amazing how far Somari has come! I've been trying to make a point to start reviewing works more, rather than just "snatch & run".  ;)