News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: Presenting a Brand New Translation of Princess Tomato for the NES  (Read 3531 times)

RHDNBot

Update By: Pennywise

Many years ago Pennywise had asked Eien ni Hen if there was any game in particular that she would like to translate. Much to the surprise of Pennywise, Princess Tomato in the Salad Kingdom was her choice. It was a game she felt that the official translation didn't nearly do the game justice for a variety of reasons including a lack of charm and censorship. So the project began in earnest. After the script was translated, the project stalled out and lay dormant for several years. It wasn't until recently that the project was picked up again and finally finished. This wouldn't have been possible without the help of many people that the team would like to thank.

The game was officially translated, but this translation should be far superior and features a top-notch script that's bubbling with so much charm and humor. Regardless if anyone has played the game, they're in for a whole new experience.

A translated manual is also included with the translation.

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

StratosVX

• View Profile
I played the US version as a kid and I enjoyed it. I can't wait to have time to try this. Thank you all!

CasualChris

• View Profile
I have to say that I've been really enjoying this retranslation so far. It's been a blast seeing all the new flavor that has been added to every last line of the script!

However, I seem to have unfortunately encountered a bug. As soon as I first meet Lisa (and by extension, General Cantaloupe) in Chapter 5, all text related to the both of them seems to... overflow? Underflow? Whatever is happening, something seems to be very wrong:

I should note that I tested both the BPS and XDELTA versions of the patch, and the exact same thing happens on each. I have not played beyond this point on either in order to properly report this.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
I've fixed that little issue and it has been submitted to the site. You can wait until it gets or approved or brave the mess that is my website to download it sooner.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
Interesting!  I've always had this game on my backlog, I guess it was worth the wait.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2020, 02:00:44 pm by Chronosplit »

BlairBear86

• View Profile
I'm getting some serious "Adventure Time" vibes from this game. Ahem, Princess Bubblegum, Wildberry Princess  :P

cospefogo

• "Take this silver dagger to save your neck."
    • View Profile
    • Fliperamas
This game is FABULOUS.

I had a wonderful time when played it for the first time back in 1992.

I was around 16 years old and, since English is not my natural language (I speak Portuguese) it was tough to beat this game and save Princess Tomato, solving the puzzles and solving the language barrier at same time, always with a dictionary by my side.

And so many years later, I am amazed by the opportunity to collaborate with the project working with the graphic design for the translated English manual.

Cheers!  :beer:
TODAY IS A GREAT DAY in SALADORIA!
"Replicants are like any other machine - they're either a benefit or a hazard.
If they're a benefit, it's not my problem."

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
And it's a beautiful manual I might say. Always nice to see those little extra bonuses work themselves out for a release.

In other news, I never realized that the original Princess Tomato game was part of a trilogy of games by Hudson. The other two being Dezeni Land and World respectively. I might just end up hacking those game in addition to Princess Tomato.

cospefogo

• "Take this silver dagger to save your neck."
    • View Profile
    • Fliperamas
In other news, I never realized that the original Princess Tomato game was part of a trilogy of games by Hudson. The other two being Dezeni Land and World respectively. I might just end up hacking those game in addition to Princess Tomato.

W H A T ?
Are you serious?
OOOOH MY!

Let me check right now!

EDIT:

Aaah...
On NEC PC-88!
 :)
"Replicants are like any other machine - they're either a benefit or a hazard.
If they're a benefit, it's not my problem."

julayla

• View Profile
Wow, thanks for re-translating this. Also, didn't know there was more Princess Tomato games. I can't wait to try those when they get translated

qb1120

• View Profile
Hey! Thanks for this, I first got Princess Tomato brand new when I was maybe 6 years old so I've played it a ton and it's cool to see the differences between this and the US version. Some parts didn't make sense in the US version but makes sense now so it's really awesome to see all the minor differences between them. The game did freeze on me in Chapter 6 after beating Hydra-nana/Bananda and talking to the Carrot Hermit.

Do you have a list of working passwords to I can at least start again at that chapter so I don't have to start over again? I didn't write the passwords down lol

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
Not at the moment, but I've got a state at chapter 4, so I'll play up to where that crash is occurring and get a fix out for it.

CWfafUcddefRJeBFd
« Last Edit: October 25, 2020, 05:07:03 pm by Pennywise »

qb1120

• View Profile
Thanks, I tried replaying it using your code, and this time after returning to the Carrot Hermit, instead of talking to him right away, I gave him the Scotch he was missing so it didn't crash and allowed me to continue. Last time I talked to him before giving him the scotch. hope that helps!

I also made it to the castle and it gets stuck in a loop when checking the pond outside. It seems like you have to hit A to get Percy to fall in but then it onlt gives you the option to check the pond again
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 12:40:24 am by qb1120 »

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
I've been able to reproduce the crash and will have a fix in the next couple of days.

You're stuck in a loop probably because you didn't fully explore the store room.

Hiryuu

• *BOOM*
    • View Profile
    • RPGClassics
Great work as always.

I did have the game freeze on me at the ugly tree. I used the Chameleon Grass then selected "Look" before using the Chameleon grass the second time and ending the chapter.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
There will be some random freezing in the second half of the game with the current version of the patch. I've already identified the problem and just have to update my code to address the problem.

Hiryuu

• *BOOM*
    • View Profile
    • RPGClassics
Cool. I wasn't sure if the two freezes were related or not.  8)

saldite

• View Profile
And it's a beautiful manual I might say. Always nice to see those little extra bonuses work themselves out for a release.

Apparently, Dezeni Land's Korean PC release is actually in English. I don't know to what quality or degree (looks like the Korean version is in black and white only due to PC limitations).

qb1120

• View Profile
You're stuck in a loop probably because you didn't fully explore the store room.
ah, thanks. I had tried to find the chain already but I couldn't figure out how to get it.

Playing this game again makes me wish there were a 2020 version of this game

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
I'd probably end up translating the MSX or PC-88 versions. Though it appears Denzeni Land and possibly the other games were only released on the super ancient cassette tape format. I think if I were to attempt to translate them, I'd be the first person to hack a cassette game to my knowledge. I could be wrong on this, but I believe all the data on a cassette basically gets loaded into RAM at startup and is basically a ROM.

At the very least though, I'm gonna wait until I find an auction for the games at a cheap price and try to buy them,  have them sent to me and then send them off to be dumped. I suspect it'll be a while before I get to the point of starting a project for these games.

I've released an update that addresses the random freezing in the second half of the game. It hasn't been tested extensively but as far as I can tell, the game should be more stable now.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2020, 10:41:00 am by Pennywise »