News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: PsxMC323 for streaming XA ripping  (Read 637 times)

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
PsxMC323 for streaming XA ripping
« on: October 17, 2020, 12:24:04 pm »
I'm trying to rip XA audio from 3x3 Eyes: Kyusei Koshu (PS1, 1995). I can access those files and others, but the XA ones are silent (movies also don't play). Sequenced music does play as midis with different instruments, and images show properly.

What to do?

October 17, 2020, 01:39:38 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Was able to play the streamed files in jpsxdec v1.00 rev3921 instead. I didn't check every file but it seems the game doesn't have streamed music besides the logo jingles, just voices and sfx for the fmv cutscenes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdutWlxRqUk

Is there a way to convert the midi files found in PsxMC back to psf?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 01:40:22 pm by PresidentLeever »
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

tvtoon

• View Profile
Re: PsxMC323 for streaming XA ripping
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2020, 07:32:54 pm »
I didn't get it, do you want to convert the VAB/SEQ to MIDI? Creating PSFs is a hazardous work, there isn't a single conversion utility because things are often spread trough the CDROM, what else, the sound shouldn't be in the format you expect to hear.

ponlork

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2020, 02:57:36 am »
Are you trying to rip music from the game? or maybe you're trying to modify the music with a custom BGM? it appears the game uses XA audio for FMV and voice clips, however for BGM music it uses seq/vab which is similar to midi. the music is located in the MUSIC.DAT file.

Converting SEQ/Vab is pretty difficult, you might want to read this to get a basic idea of it: http://www.angelfire.com/tx5/someone42/psfrip.txt

usually what they do is convert the seq/vab to PSF and you can play it on your PC or convert it to wav using foobar2000. at least that's what i do.

it might be better to search for a .psf of 3x3 that was already ripped by another user but if you want to try it yourself, good luck. i'm sure it's possible it just requires a lot of work
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 03:04:47 am by ponlork »

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2020, 05:36:58 am »
Yeah I wasn't able to find any clips with streamed music in them (besides the logos on bootup), I guess it's all sequenced.

The psxMC tool turns the sequenced music into midi with different instruments like I said, which isn't what I want (yeah I want psf) and I don't get why that is the default.

I tried picking no conversion but then you can't extract those files from the psxMC program it seems?

I got the smf2seq.js program for converting mid to seq but I can't use it right now (if I understand it correctly I have to use the cmd prompt), due to using a stupid Mac keyboard so I can't type a backslash.

Yeah I've looked for psf rips and couldn't find it for that game (I know about that large joshw archive and zophar's). It would be good to be able to do it since there are plenty of unripped games still.

Edit:
I found that angelfire text earlier but the two links under ripping tools are dead. Honestly that whole procedure sounds like too much work when I just want like one song as an example from each game that doesn't have a rip yet (which I can use epsxe's export to .wav for and detect the psf music with its debugger), but I might attempt it at some point.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 05:49:20 am by PresidentLeever »
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

ponlork

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2020, 07:51:05 pm »
i dabbled in seq/vab a little bit last year when i was trying to take music from one game and inserting it into a different game. The seq played but it used different samples similar to what you were describing and some channels didn't play. probably because it was using the different audio samples.

i've also tried epsxe too, i remember there was this SPU plugin for epsxe that lets us mute individual samples. my idea was to insert the instruments manually and use the SPU plugin to detect the change but was too much work.

i hear the plugin is useful for ripping audio. it gives you channel control so you can mute certain sounds and effects.

you might wanna consider posting at the psxdev forums, there might be some generous users there who will do it for you. Though the forum is not very active

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2020, 07:43:10 am »
You mean this?

Yeah I've been using that to rip to wav, but being able to rip to psf from psxMC or jpsxdec would certainly be better. many games don't have a ST and sometimes certain tracks don't show up there.