News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: Dragon Quest III Delocalized Has Arrived!  (Read 1126 times)

RHDNBot

ROM Hacks: Dragon Quest III Delocalized Has Arrived!
« on: October 15, 2020, 08:53:46 am »

Update By: Chicken Knife

At long last, our retranslation / restoration project of Dragon Quest III for NES has been released. For anyone who wants to experience an uncensored version of the game that strives to capture the overall tone and thought-for-thought meaning of the original Japanese text, this is for you.

Other features include:
  • Restoration of Japanese difficulty
  • Fixed parry / cancel bug
  • Fixed spell learning bug
  • Restoration of censored tile maps
  • Restoration of crosses, graves and shrines
  • Restored character sprites
  • Various other miscellaneous fixes

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

Bagel_Bear

• View Profile
Re: ROM Hacks: Dragon Quest III Delocalized Has Arrived!
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2020, 03:23:30 pm »
Any work done to make a game closer to the original work is awesome in my book. Playing through DQV at the moment but this might be my next stop.

Shaztopia

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2020, 12:52:25 pm »
Amazing, am a long time DQ Fan and haven't played III on the NES.  Thanks for the hard work and dedication.

Special

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2020, 02:42:42 pm »
I can never get into these classics from my childhood that get "updated" to some sort of definitive edition like this. I go to play them, load up one of the hundreds of online strategy guides/resources like on GameFAQ's (or better yet a hardcopy of an Official Strategy Guide I have laying around), realize WAY to much has changed, ie. Sacred Knife (Magic Knife) / Iron Axe (Battle Axe) / Steel Sword (Broad Sword) / etc. / etc. / etc., then just lose all interest in playing the hack.

A shame too, because I'm totally down for the obvious bug fixes and un-censoring that come with these (screw balance changes though!).

Chicken Knife

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2020, 03:43:40 pm »
I appreciate the feedback, guys.

And Special, I understand your grievance with the difficulty of using strategy guides because of the various names of things changing. One of the reasons I added the before and after lists in the readme was to alleviate that as much as I can.

From my point of view, those changes are part of us providing a more faithful translation, and the retranslation really is the core of the project. The bug fixes, graphical restorations and other minor improvements are there as icing on the cake. I did publish a couple of the bug fixes separately for those who don't want a full retranslation, and I could probably publish more stand alone patches as well. But I figured that most people who want the visuals uncensored / unaltered would also want the text uncensored / unaltered.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 03:56:33 pm by Chicken Knife »

dudejo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2020, 07:01:39 am »
Are there any plans to allow the Golden Claw in the pyramid dungeon to be taken out of the basement without random encounters permanently high? As was done in the official SNES/GBC ports?

Chicken Knife

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2020, 09:24:44 am »
For anyone curious, the Golden Claw ended up being discussed here: http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=26951.280

Lord Igniz

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2020, 07:15:11 pm »
Awesome, III is my favorite in the series from the games I've played thus far, but have only played the SFC remake version. Really looking forward to this, especially after the excellent work from DQI and II delocalized versions. Now I can patiently wait for what I've really been anticipating- the IV delocalized version!

jcalder8

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2020, 07:46:22 pm »
This is amazing, thank you all!