News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Ready for the NBA (Jam)’s next season? [SPOILER: 2K21 TE!]  (Read 6891 times)

Mattrizzle

• View Profile
Re: Ready for the NBA (Jam)’s next season? [SPOILER: 2K21 TE!]
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2020, 10:01:03 am »
Just one question, it would be possible to have in game music like in the Sega Genesis version of this game or the SNES version of NBA Hangtime? If possible, it would be great.
That wouldn't be possible without getting rid of most of the in-game speech, unless an MSU-1 patch was developed. Even if they had it, the music in the Genesis version of NBA Jam and the SNES NBA Hangtime was extremely simplistic. The former game's in-game music had two channels and no percussion.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 10:09:14 am by Mattrizzle »

RHZ

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2020, 01:05:38 pm »
That wouldn't be possible without getting rid of most of the in-game speech, unless an MSU-1 patch was developed. Even if they had it, the music in the Genesis version of NBA Jam and the SNES NBA Hangtime was extremely simplistic. The former game's in-game music had two channels and no percussion.

Thanks a lot for the info, I didn't know that. I was just curious, as I always thought the game felt more alive with in-game music even if it was very simplistic. But in this case, I think it's preferable to have varied in-game speech and listen to the music of your choice outside the game while playing if you'd like to.

Dzumeister

• Zaubermancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2020, 08:43:08 pm »
Any luck on expanding the team selection menu this time around? Unfortunately 3 teams had to fit into the usual Rookies/Others slot in 2K20, it would be a huge improvement if each team could get their own slot. If not, maybe the bottom 3 teams should take up that slot instead this time? Having the Raptors in that slot when they were the Champs was kind of weird :P
free sluffy

eskayelle

• NBA Jam 2KTE / TMNT of Rage / Pong de las TMNT Dev
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2020, 05:27:18 pm »
Taking a little time over the holiday to catch up on NBA roster updates.  Here's a preview...

I once wrote a blog.  Maybe you'll find something in it useful?  https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=30593.0

Dzumeister

• Zaubermancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2020, 03:42:00 am »
Taking a little time over the holiday to catch up on NBA roster updates.  Here's a preview...

the new headshots look great! thank you so much for reverse-cycling, that'll save so much time  :D
free sluffy

eskayelle

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2020, 09:10:24 pm »
v1.03.3.1 update: Rosters are up to date as of this evening.

I once wrote a blog.  Maybe you'll find something in it useful?  https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=30593.0

Dzumeister

• Zaubermancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2020, 03:37:56 pm »
v1.03.3.1 update: Rosters are up to date as of this evening.

I'm always so impressed with how good the headshots look  ;D
free sluffy

eskayelle

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2020, 12:15:01 pm »
Thanks!  I am too, actually.

So, for those who are also working on some Jam hacks, here's my approach.

Head over to https://www.basketball-reference.com/.  The portraits there are 48x72 .jpgs, so you just need to move the portraits up a few pixels, resize to 48x56, save to .bmp and then work your own edits as needed (color transparency, convert to 32 colors, etc.).

Otherwise, for draft picks and some other players, I just grab candids off Google's images tab and resize/edit accordingly.  I'm a fan of candids, so I make sure to have a few plastered in the game for fun.  I always look for those where one of the shoulders trails off, so I can more easily fit it within the confines of the 48 pixel width, without having to show two shoulders oddly cut off.  One is fine, since I can adjust it to the border of the team select box.  Two just look bad.

Hopefully, this helps save some folks some time and gets their hack goin'!

phonymike

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2020, 05:22:01 pm »
I made a tool to convert .bmp files into the 5 bit graphics NBA JAM uses. It's command line, so it's meant to be used in an automated way. Once you run it, it dumps all the images to .bmp into a folder. You are then free to use any graphics editor (I use photoshop) to make changes. The tool can then insert the images back into the ROM. The palette of the .bmp files must be 8 bit, and the first color in the palette will be used as transparency.

Download it here. Of course the C source is in there too.

There's also 2 other graphical utilities used to editing graphics, I linked them in the Data Crystal.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 11:15:28 pm by phonymike »

eskayelle

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2020, 10:53:11 pm »
This tool is definitely one that I swear by.  Having setup a couple .bat files to automate the portrait dumps and insertions, it's saved me countless hours with respect to the portrait editing process.  I wouldn't have been able to issue 2K20 (or 2K21) timely without it.

If you're working on a TE hack, heed my words... this tool's a must have!

December 10, 2020, 11:51:13 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
This hack is done!  Head here to grab it!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2020, 11:51:13 pm by eskayelle »

Dzumeister

• Zaubermancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2020, 01:43:16 am »

YES! Adding this to my SNES Mini right now, I'll let you know if I find any bugs  ;D

Runs on the default SNES Classic emulator! I'm really liking the new banners and voices so far! Started a new playthrough with the Bucks, the poor Warriors didn't stand a chance.   :happy:
« Last Edit: December 11, 2020, 02:43:38 am by Dzumeister »
free sluffy

niuus

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2020, 10:59:30 am »
Congrats on the new release! Making 16bit NBA Jam great again!

eskayelle

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2020, 11:32:53 am »
You guys rock!  If you get a chance, please feel free to drop a review onto the patch page and help spread the word!   :thumbsup:

orlandojumpoff

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2020, 08:31:41 pm »
awesome! just played a game with fultz  :woot!:

Dzumeister

• Zaubermancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2020, 04:51:50 pm »
I like the announcer's references to the 90s' big fighting games, Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter II! Would it be possible to add one for Killer Instinct specifically for when a hot streak or "Heating Up"/"Toasty" is broken? "Combo Breaker" would be perfect! It might also work in place of "STOLEN"/"INTERCEPTED", though I still love those  :laugh:
free sluffy

eskayelle

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2020, 06:26:34 pm »
Hey there.  To break a streak and play a sound would require some sort of custom code, since there's nothing built into the game to play a sound at that point consistently.

Now, you could definitely replace "Stolen"/"Intercepted", and those two guides I published on RHDN will show you how.

To get those KI sounds, you could rip them from the SNES game using tools on RHDN or hop on the sound equivalent of The Spriter's Resource (the exact name escapes me), locate the arcade sprites and make wavs via something like Audacity.

"Combo Breaker" and "King Combo" always entertained me.  At some point, I had also ripped the "Raaaaaage" sound from Primal Rage.  I just never found a good place for it.

eskayelle

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2021, 09:45:57 am »
Any luck on expanding the team selection menu this time around? Unfortunately 3 teams had to fit into the usual Rookies/Others slot in 2K20, it would be a huge improvement if each team could get their own slot. If not, maybe the bottom 3 teams should take up that slot instead this time? Having the Raptors in that slot when they were the Champs was kind of weird :P

Never disagreed with ya there... with v2.0, the new Mattrizzle Player Engine delivers on that issue.   :thumbsup: :beer:

Dzumeister

• Zaubermancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2021, 02:45:36 pm »
Never disagreed with ya there... with v2.0, the new Mattrizzle Player Engine delivers on that issue.   :thumbsup: :beer:

This is incredible. Thank you all for your hard work!  :woot!:

I started a new playthrough, and I gotta say, the new palettes make everything pop in a way they hadn't before, it's great! I did notice that they may have messed with some of the other assets, though.

The TMNT of Rage and Konami banners have lost the green that they used to have, if I remember correctly, and are now showing the yellow-gold from the court colors. This is from the Attract Mode, though, if that changes anything.

edit: Yeah, it's weird--in a regular game the banners show up fine:
« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 03:40:29 pm by Dzumeister »
free sluffy

eskayelle

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2021, 04:12:05 pm »
Ha!  The court and uniform color improvements are all Mattrizzle... and they came out fantastic!

The banner color changes for two specific banners are intentional.  I set up the KONAMI and TMNT of Rage banners to use palette zero (the transparent color), which causes them to take on visiting team colors (Pelicans gold in your first example).  This way, you get the feel of more banners when playing as different teams in a multiple game session.

I think I did this for the COVID CAPTIVES banner text as well, IIRC.

Thanks as always for the love of the game!

ponlork

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2021, 05:35:52 am »
do you have a Parsec account? I opened one yesterday and it's really cool, you can host your mod through there and all people have to do is join your room to get a game going without any installation. if you set it up i'll love to play y'all