End of weekend soundtrack update:
- Finished drafts of the VS. music as well as Dhalsim's, Vega's, and Sagat's themes.
I intended to avoid arps but the chords in the Sagat's theme were just begging for one haha
- Started on the title theme - made one based on the arcade and one based on the SNES. I think I'll probably stick with the arcade
- Got a start on all the other character themes - I think Ryu's and Bison's will be the trickiest to capture with just the 2a03. You can listen to my WIPs via the .0cc module or .nsf
- For a lot of themes, I'm having to choose between a lead echo vs. a backing instrument. As much as I love the echos prominent in the originals, trying to use them here means we're left with just bass+lead, and often results in awkward section transitions. So I'll probably be looking to use single-channel echos when possible (see: Blanka's theme), or tuck them behind the backing instruments into the 2nd channel (see: character select)
- Noise only drums without famitracker instruments definitely feel mediocre, especially vs. the PCM originals. Since I'd rather avoid composing at speed 1 haha, if whoever ends up working on implementation can confirm instrument use doesn't inhibit hacking I'll be happy to improve things here.
- Combined all the songs into one module for easier mixing/editing/comparing.0cc/.nsf of the full module + .mp3s of vs/dhalsim/vega/sagat: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/11dF3pR--vm35JpW2By_TNMsXA8_Z_j-R?usp=sharing
Any feedback/suggestions are appreciated. I'll keep chipping away at the remaining themes over the coming weeks.