News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: STREET FIGHTER 2 DELUXE NES  (Read 100066 times)

sebastianangel

• you can always improve
    • View Profile
    • sega genesis
Re: STREET FIGHTER 2 DELUXE NES proyect
« Reply #260 on: December 17, 2020, 08:53:43 am »
Great! :thumbsup: I tried it and it works perfect without errors! :beer: Then we will improve the visual aspect as you say, thank you very much for the contribution, I will try to improve myself and improve by learning these good techniques little by little, surely your teachings will always be well received! Greetings and again :woot!: thank you very much for your time and work :thumbsup:
here I am sure that (xander max),(sics)and(song) who are part of the project and have technical knowledge will be happy to chat with you, for my part I try to follow the thread but I am far from their knowledge but I will learn :beer:
« Last Edit: December 18, 2020, 10:06:06 am by sebastianangel »

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #261 on: December 17, 2020, 10:54:41 am »
you should change the jet back to gray. Looked good that way. Reminds me of gameboy or something the way it is now.

sebastianangel

• you can always improve
    • View Profile
    • sega genesis
« Reply #262 on: December 17, 2020, 11:11:09 am »
It is only a sample in a rom without the application of the graphic changes, the jet continues in the same way as before, even surely it will be a new stage :thumbsup:

bogaabogaa

• View Profile
« Reply #263 on: December 17, 2020, 04:40:52 pm »
I did look at the bank swapping for CHR and then did see how the game does pull off to have that many tiles for one BG. It does make use of IRQ counter to break on scanlines to swap to other banks with different tiles. Makes me think it is a nightmare to arrange BGs for this game since I guess you organize this in one name table. There are some tables around CPU $c000 that organize on what line to break followed with the value of the bank to swap to.

Not sure it there is a lot to talk about. I was looking at the IRQ stuff and how it works on the MMC5. This will be some extra work for this game. Also was wondering what the MMC5 should be used for.

I wonder if adding CHR will break the game to run on real hardware. So here a patch where I double that space. https://www.dropbox.com/s/z67meulfidspow9/StreetFighterIII%289Fighter%29CHR%20Expansion.ips?dl=0

Update:
Nevermind. I did misunderstand the register $8000 and submapper0 stuff. I don't see a way to use the expanded banks. In this case I see a good use to convert MMC5 so it is easier to expand the memory. Sure it would be interesting to see how Ti went about the expansion.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 08:10:19 pm by bogaabogaa »
CV ROM DiscordServer
https://discord.gg/PvFgxRg

BZXGCS

• View Profile
« Reply #264 on: December 17, 2020, 08:03:24 pm »
Hello, I found a nes game which contain feilongļ¼š
http://retrovania-vgjunk.blogspot.com/2017/07/dragon-fighter-nes.html

sebastianangel

• you can always improve
    • View Profile
    • sega genesis
« Reply #265 on: December 17, 2020, 08:37:02 pm »
I did look at the bank swapping for CHR and then did see how the game does pull off to have that many tiles for one BG. It does make use of IRQ counter to break on scanlines to swap to other banks with different tiles. Makes me think it is a nightmare to arrange BGs for this game since I guess you organize this in one name table. There are some tables around CPU $c000 that organize on what line to break followed with the value of the bank to swap to.

Not sure it there is a lot to talk about. I was looking at the IRQ stuff and how it works on the MMC5. This will be some extra work for this game. Also was wondering what the MMC5 should be used for.

I wonder if adding CHR will break the game to run on real hardware. So here a patch where I double that space. https://www.dropbox.com/s/z67meulfidspow9/StreetFighterIII%289Fighter%29CHR%20Expansion.ips?dl=0

Update:
Nevermind. I did misunderstand the register $8000 and submapper0 stuff. I don't see a way to use the expanded banks. In this case I see a good use to convert MMC5 so it is easier to expand the memory. Sure it would be interesting to see how Ti went about the expansion.

Indeed from what he told me (sics) you can use up to 4 cards per scenario and if organizing the name tables is an odyssey and most of the time I am wrong in the number of colors in the graphics of the stages, ect ... but little by little we are advancing.
testing your expansion! It is an incredible job you doubled our possibilities and we will not worry so much about the space thanks to your contribution! :thumbsup:
Thank you very much (bogaabogaa) you have given us extra air in a project that was smaller in the beginning but that later between all of us is becoming something much bigger and the dream of many! I include myself :crazy:
the
ips rom patch modified by (TI) does not work in emulator mesen
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nyw1nf5zhu0e8PlUJcaJWhPnoVp34hNW/view?usp=sharing
(Dracula X) he tried to help me by passing it to the MMC5 mapper, but he had never worked with this Mapper 91
(SONG) also suggested to me that the change was important, but it's out of my reach. :-\
« Last Edit: December 19, 2020, 06:03:39 am by sebastianangel »

Xander max

• View Profile
« Reply #266 on: December 17, 2020, 09:16:00 pm »

Great! :thumbsup: I tried it and it works perfect without errors! :beer: Then we will improve the visual aspect as you say, thank you very much for the contribution, I will try to improve myself and improve by learning these good techniques little by little, surely your teachings will always be well received! Greetings and again :woot!: thank you very much for your time and work :thumbsup:
here I am sure that (xander max),(sics)and(song) who are part of the project and have technical knowledge will be happy to chat with you, for my part I try to follow the thread but I am far from their knowledge but I will learn :beer:

I am flattered when you remember me, but do you believe I know only how to change sprites and colors in games? I know nothing about programming, I am delighted with those who know NES programming, since it is something that I find quite complex because it is not in my personal work area. Because changing NES games is just a hobby, I end up making even more simple changes. But a good team is this, each one has his or her own talents and everyone works together for a common good! I admire you Sebastian! And I am happy with each evolution of this project, every day I take a peek here.

Here is the promised patch for level select. Works for 1 and 2 player. Once you press select you can choose levels yourself. Else it will run the selection based on the opponent as usual. This is based on the ROM you shared with me.
Probably named as Street Fighter III (9 Fighter) (Unl).nes

File SHA-1: 2916D55BE157858EB377B4A22F070763D9B07AC1
File CRC32: 22CDD2F6
ROM SHA-1: 13FF5A62AFE5EE7B4EA5D537EE92BFA253EB98F6
ROM CRC32: A09AA82C

I provided a IPS and also the source with general info. It might be helpful to anyone who likes to start getting the hand dirty with code.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ivov46z65hynovh/Streetfigher3LevelSelect.zip?dl=0

The research required and anything else it was a 5h task for me. I am aware that it might have bugs or might even crash. I did not have any as I tested but given how the game is build and how I had to implement the changes many things are possible.

Update: Do you think I been technical so far? This are general suggestions why to go for things. There are some technical info's in the readme. Goodbye and good luck. If you keep beeing frustrated since you don't like to make progress with learning technical stuff. As a artist you can go to many sprite resource pages and match yourself with other artist there. Way less frustrating as doing hackerinos with some old ROMz.

Sure I hope for you to find some programmer dude jump along so the project can be finished in a good state. Been reading up on some stuff and thinking about the task involved making the port (but it is technical..). If you find anyone interested to do the change and likes to talk a bit technical about it I don't mind contacting me. I do have general interest to bring people ahead and learn stuff.

Fantastic implementation, the duels will be less monotonous. :thumbsup:

Better than that, it would be if only Hummer Cheng provided a development kit from the Hummer team :police:
http://www.vgmpf.com/Wiki/index.php/Hummer_Cheng
Here is an interview with him
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/pgc_forums/hello-t25.html
Check out dozens of my projects on youtube!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdGHNhopquBMifjhdNSWQTA/videos

shakunetsu

• View Profile
« Reply #267 on: December 18, 2020, 02:37:45 am »
Hello, I found a nes game which contain feilongļ¼š
http://retrovania-vgjunk.blogspot.com/2017/07/dragon-fighter-nes.html

Hi they already pointed out that they can't add characters in the earlier topics within the thread.

What they do now is more of updating the visuals

sebastianangel

• you can always improve
    • View Profile
    • sega genesis
« Reply #268 on: December 18, 2020, 07:35:09 am »
I am flattered when you remember me, but do you believe I know only how to change sprites and colors in games? I know nothing about programming, I am delighted with those who know NES programming, since it is something that I find quite complex because it is not in my personal work area. Because changing NES games is just a hobby, I end up making even more simple changes. But a good team is this, each one has his or her own talents and everyone works together for a common good! I admire you Sebastian! And I am happy with each evolution of this project, every day I take a peek here.

Fantastic implementation, the duels will be less monotonous. :thumbsup:

Better than that, it would be if only Hummer Cheng provided a development kit from the Hummer team :police:
http://www.vgmpf.com/Wiki/index.php/Hummer_Cheng
Here is an interview with him
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/pgc_forums/hello-t25.html
Thank you very much :thumbsup: (xander max) for your words I think we are both enthusiastic and I think there is great potential in you, you have many fantastic projects, admiration is mutual, your report on (Hummer Cheng) is very good :crazy:
« Last Edit: December 18, 2020, 10:25:53 am by sebastianangel »

bogaabogaa

• View Profile
« Reply #269 on: December 18, 2020, 01:24:59 pm »
My CHR expansion will not help your project. The game has 0x80 000 byte of CHR and the banks are selected as 0x800 byte chunk. I did think there is a register to select more but this seems not true. I do not know what Outer Bank register ($8000-$9FFF) does but in my tests I could not select the added CHR.

I will look into the the Expension made by TI. For me it is strange that he expanded the new banks at the beginning of PRG banks. Emulators can calculate the allocation and selection of banks different. All I can say it is a issue with swapping PRG banks. On Mesen the code will run into a empty bank and break.
CV ROM DiscordServer

sebastianangel

• you can always improve
    • View Profile
    • sega genesis
« Reply #270 on: December 18, 2020, 01:55:52 pm »
I understand! :) And I really appreciate the help you are providing, maybe it has something to do with this answer that they gave to (sics) in the forum?
(Cyneprepou4u)
Re: IRQ and exchanging CHR banks with Mapper 91
0x1C06E - first line (scan line = byte * 08)
0x1C06F - CHR Bank
0x1C070 - Second line (scan line = byte * 08)
0x1C071 - CHR Bank
0x1C072 - FIN Token
I don't know if that will be?
I try to teach myself (SONG)
to write nametables for the stages but I still can't understand in depth

Cyneprepou4uk

• I am the baldest romhacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: December 18, 2020, 02:01:32 pm »
For me it is strange that he expanded the new banks at the beginning of PRG banks.

Some games have hacking protection by writing prg bank id bytes large than necessary, which originally doesn't affect anything since higher bits are ignored. In case of expansion you need to add new banks at the beginning in order to counter the protection, otherwise you need to change all these bytes as well. I don't know if it's true for this game, but I've encountered that before.

sebastianangel

• you can always improve
    • View Profile
    • sega genesis
« Reply #272 on: December 18, 2020, 02:11:38 pm »
Muchisimas gracias Cyneprepou4uk :thumbsup:
something similar happened to me when trying to modify some graphics in world hero, after making the changes the game stopped working so I left it,I'll
I will take it again

Cyneprepou4uk

• View Profile
« Reply #273 on: December 18, 2020, 06:16:36 pm »
What ROM exactly are you using as a base for this hack?

And what the hell is "proyect" I've been wondering for a while?  :)  Can't you fix that typo by editing OP?

sebastianangel

• you can always improve
    • View Profile
    • sega genesis
Re: STREET FIGHTER 2 DELUXE NES
« Reply #274 on: December 18, 2020, 06:46:45 pm »
we are using Street Fighter III (9 Fighter) (Unl) :thumbsup:

Database match: not found
Database: No-Intro: Nintendo Entertainment System (v. 20180803-121122)
File SHA-1: 2916D55BE157858EB377B4A22F070763D9B07AC1
File CRC32: 22CDD2F6
ROM SHA-1: 13FF5A62AFE5EE7B4EA5D537EE92BFA253EB98F6
ROM CRC32: A09AA82C

I had not realized the typographical error, thank you :beer:

Cyneprepou4uk

• View Profile
« Reply #275 on: December 18, 2020, 07:04:14 pm »
I can make a disassembly if there is still a lot of work left for you to do. Maybe converting to MMC5. I'm gonna need a fully (as much as you can) logged CDL file (from original game, not hack), and all the info you've got about ROM and RAM addresses.

Shouldn't take too long for me since there is like only 10% of PRG is code by the looks of it.

I can decompress background data in order to edit any tiles and attributes more easily.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2020, 07:09:40 pm by Cyneprepou4uk »

bogaabogaa

• View Profile
« Reply #276 on: December 18, 2020, 09:12:49 pm »
Thanks Cyneprepou4uk for pointing out the hacking protection.
I can confirm that the game does writs unneeded high half byte to the PRG swap register. (Orginal Value $3b and $3c)

Anyway I could not make it swap to the correct bank with the value $1b and $1c in Mesen what leaves me with some head scratching for now.

It is easy to mispronounce project as a Spanish speaker (proyecto) At last it did tell me where you might coming from  :P

Thanks for helping with the project @Cyneprepou4uk and good luck with the decompression and mapper conversion  8)
CV ROM DiscordServer

sebastianangel

• you can always improve
    • View Profile
    • sega genesis
« Reply #277 on: December 18, 2020, 09:21:44 pm »
I can make a disassembly if there is still a lot of work left for you to do. Maybe converting to MMC5. I'm gonna need a fully (as much as you can) logged CDL file (from original game, not hack), and all the info you've got about ROM and RAM addresses.

Shouldn't take too long for me since there is like only 10% of PRG is code by the looks of it.

I can decompress background data in order to edit any tiles and attributes more easily.
If there is a lot of work left to do, :crazy: it would be great if you could do it !!!
I would open a lot of possibilities, thank you very much I will look for the data to send you
I am excited and grateful for the help and collaboration that everyone is giving me

shakunetsu

• View Profile
« Reply #278 on: December 18, 2020, 10:03:48 pm »
I hope someday you guys would find a way to add larger portrait when hovering to the characters in the select screen just like the other select screen.

sebastianangel

• you can always improve
    • View Profile
    • sega genesis
« Reply #279 on: December 21, 2020, 02:01:21 pm »
You are welcome. When it works for your hack I could imagine that the visual appearance is something you don't like. This is also the part where I am the most worried it will break something. Overall I did ignore how the game handles sprites and hardcoded my stuff in after the game was done doing the sprite stuff for that screen.
Not done in a way where you just change some data table to make the sprite bigger but would be a easy thing to do in the code.. Still the sprite is metadata and I only process Xpos when selecting a different stage.

I did think it would be best to hack the plain routine to be triggered earlier and use that one to cruse around the map to indicate the stage. But this takes time to revers engineer. If you don't find any crash might be easier to code the plain logic yourself or change it to something that looks visual pleasing .
hello there seems to be an error when finishing playing vs mode with the stage selector that locks the game when returning to the game map :-\

I had not noticed sorry
I played it and reset, so I did not notice the error