News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: Zelda 2 Redux now officially released!  (Read 2235 times)

RHDNBot

ROM Hacks: Zelda 2 Redux now officially released!
« on: October 03, 2020, 09:10:10 am »

Update By: ShadowOne333

A hack years in the making... finally hits its official release!

Zelda 2 Redux adds a ton of Quality of Life changes to the original Zelda 2, that it basically aims to make the Zelda 2 experience a much more enjoyable and balanced game throughout, so that users enjoy the game in a way they see fit!

The changelog is huge, from a completely revamped and revised script based on the original Japanese translation with expanded text boxes, reworked HUD to resemble other Zelda games, manual save feature, restored text and graphics, animated tiles in the overworld, the FDS battle theme integrated alongside the original NES one, rebalance of enemies and magic consumption, and much, much more!

Not enough for you? Or you still wish to experience the excruciatingly hard experience the original game had or don't like certain features?
Don't worry, Zelda 2 Redux also includes optional patches to remove some features to make it akin to the original game, or even apply other optional patches to make the game easier for newcomers!

What are you waiting for? Get the hack and try it out!
It might even make you enjoy Zelda II if you disliked it before!

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

Aclectico

• View Profile
Re: ROM Hacks: Zelda 2 Redux now officially released!
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2020, 10:40:08 am »
Congratulations on the release ShadowOne333! I've been looking forward to this for a long time and it looks like a great reason to revisit a classic. Nice job!

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2020, 11:03:44 am »
Congratulations on the release ShadowOne333! I've been looking forward to this for a long time and it looks like a great reason to revisit a classic. Nice job!

Thank you, Acletico!
It's really nice to finally see Z2R officially released now, and hope others can enjoy it as well.
Can't wait to see the projects you're working on :^}

QUXNLADY

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2020, 01:10:39 pm »
Greetings Mr. ShadowOne333

Thank you for taking the time to think about the accessibility of players who might not be as good at these kind of games. It's appreciated.

Kind Regards,
QUXNLADY

Tzepish

• I like swords
    • View Profile
    • The Devil's Jockstrap
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2020, 04:32:46 pm »
Congratulations, my friend! I've always wanted to love Zelda II, but the game itself kept getting in my way! This list of changes sounds amazing.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2020, 05:27:12 pm »
Greetings Mr. ShadowOne333

Thank you for taking the time to think about the accessibility of players who might not be as good at these kind of games. It's appreciated.

Kind Regards,
QUXNLADY

Thanks, Lady!
Hope you enjoy your way through the game with this hack :)

Congratulations, my friend! I've always wanted to love Zelda II, but the game itself kept getting in my way! This list of changes sounds amazing.

Thanks, my friend!
Hope this hack changes your perspective of Zelda II and makes you enjoy it properly!

Lexitik

• View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2020, 03:31:11 am »
This looks amazing. There was definitely a lot of work and love put into this hack, and I will definitely be using this hack for my Zelda Marathon next year. Great work!
Where's the long bar?

Ok Impala!

• View Profile
    • Ok Impala!
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2020, 03:09:26 am »
Congrats on finishing this amazing project! I would love to use this as a basis for my upcoming Zelda II mod. Is this in any way compatible with the editors by njosro? (see: https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/1300/)

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2020, 10:08:48 am »
This looks amazing. There was definitely a lot of work and love put into this hack, and I will definitely be using this hack for my Zelda Marathon next year. Great work!

Nice!
Hope you enjoy it once you get to it! :)
And don't forget to post links to your marathon if you decide to record it!

Congrats on finishing this amazing project! I would love to use this as a basis for my upcoming Zelda II mod. Is this in any way compatible with the editors by njosro? (see: https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/1300/)

As far as I know, njosro's tools should be compatible, there wasn't many layout changes in the hack other than the ones at Great Palace.
Also, iirc the Erdrick line was restored by using one of his tools, so I don't think there should be any problems.

lexluthermiester

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2020, 11:36:12 pm »
Have to join in the congratulations! Well done Shadow!

Ok Impala!

• View Profile
    • Ok Impala!
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2020, 09:46:29 am »
As far as I know, njosro's tools should be compatible, there wasn't many layout changes in the hack other than the ones at Great Palace.Also, iirc the Erdrick line was restored by using one of his tools, so I don't think there should be any problems.

Cool! I'll check it out. There are so many great things added in Redux that it would be shame not to use them in any new Zelda II project!  :)