News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: Sega Saturn SRPG Vahollian Translated into English!  (Read 2310 times)

RHDNBot

Translations: Sega Saturn SRPG Vahollian Translated into English!
« on: September 29, 2020, 12:24:58 pm »

Update By: Pennywise

aishsha, paul_met and Pennywise present another completed Sega Saturn translation for the SRPG Valhollian. Chances are most people have probably never heard of the game, but now's a perfect time to learn all about it. We've included a translated manual with this release. Given that there's very little info available on the game, a translated manual might be a significant source of info on the game.

Anyhow, Valhollian was released by a very tiny company that only a released a few titles, so it might as well be considered more of an indie title by modern standards. It features beautiful 2D graphics with 3D battles that can be turned off. It's also a very difficult game with grueling battles that can last over an hour. If one is to succeed, they must be a master of strategy, take full advantage of the gameplay mechanics and save often. The good news is the game gets easier as you progress. Assuming players can get past the difficulty, they'll find a typical fantasy RPG story that actually manages to provide some decent depth and twists and turns.

In addition to providing to a polished J-E translation, if players have the 4MB action replay cart, the translation will take advantage of it and use it to reduce load times.

Anyhow, be sure to let the team know how hard the game is and a big thanks to everyone who helped get the translation to the finish line.

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

ArkthePieKing

• View Profile
Re: Translations: Sega Saturn SRPG Vahollian Translated into English!
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2020, 02:55:49 pm »
Those character sprites look VERY similar to the ones in Bahamut Lagoon, I'd be interested to know if anyone from that game ended up working on this. Otherwise great job y'all! :D

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2020, 03:19:54 pm »
It seems the character designer for the game is Youichi Kodama, who doesn't appear to have worked on Bahamut Lagoon. He doesn't seem to be terribly prolific with The Glory of Heracles IV being his most notable credit from MobyGames. So the answer to your suspicion is that he probably liked the look of Bahamut Lagoon and copied the style for Valhollian. I certainly like how the game looks.

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2020, 01:12:09 am »
Congrats on this release!

noneother

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2020, 02:31:31 am »
It seems the character designer for the game is Youichi Kodama, who doesn't appear to have worked on Bahamut Lagoon. He doesn't seem to be terribly prolific with The Glory of Heracles IV being his most notable credit from MobyGames. So the answer to your suspicion is that he probably liked the look of Bahamut Lagoon and copied the style for Valhollian. I certainly like how the game looks.

Glory of Heracles IV and Bahamut Lagoon have the same director, interestingly. He was hired away from Data East by Square for his work on that series.
Also, depending on the company, the character designer might not be responsible for the actual sprites. They might only draw character illustrations, and then other people make sprites based on those. Companies often used uncredited freelancers, and many old school Japanese game creators used multiple aliases (and not just obvious nicknames). All this to say that staff overlap is not entirely impossible.

Congrats on the release, btw. I plan to give the game a go soon.

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2020, 07:02:14 am »
Direct link to the game's post on that site:
https://aishsha.blogspot.com/2020/
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

GhaleonUnlimited

• View Profile
    • Phantasy Star Generation 4 + "Found in Fanslation" Podcast
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2020, 03:04:43 pm »
Damn, that's amazing. Thanks for doing this, excited to check it out! This is exactly the kind of thing I love talking to people about on my podcast on fan translations. Would you guys be down? PMing as well but also wanted to congratulate you on this as well, must have been a hell of a thing to finish!
Phantasy Star Generation 4: A PSIV Retranslation
"Found in Fanslation" Podcast
http://PSIV.GamesDoneLegit.com

Grillkick

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2020, 04:09:52 pm »
Wow, how have I not heard of this gem?? I am popping this disc into my real Saturn right now. Thank you for all of your hard work, guys like you are heroes.

UPDATE: Damn, this game is *merciless*. I'm slowly powering through.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 10:39:27 pm by Grillkick »

aishsha

• View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2020, 01:51:37 am »
Patch upgraded to v1.2.